As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Good News] Holy Fuck!

2»

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Honk wrote:
    I am curious about Kepler 22b. While I think that's obviously very cool and all that.

Even if we had FTL travel - such a planet would be pretty much useless to us, would it not? Considering the size difference, wouldn't it pretty likely have an extremely stronger gravity?

Depends on density but yes, everyone would be pulling approx. four gees.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    That would suck to live there. But I imagine that once you came back to earth from colony you would get all of the ladies, because your muscles would be like

damn

And also you would have been living on another planet which is by itself pretty cool.

PSN: Honkalot
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Aldo wrote:
    Honk wrote:
    I am curious about Kepler 22b. While I think that's obviously very cool and all that.

Even if we had FTL travel - such a planet would be pretty much useless to us, would it not? Considering the size difference, wouldn't it pretty likely have an extremely stronger gravity?

So we use it as a mining planet. You have never played a 4X game, have you? ;)

This is not actually true!

A planet can easily be quite a deal larger then Earth, but have the same surface gravity - it's all about what the density of the core is. Remember : all that mass is not concentrated at the center AND you are quite a significant amount further away from it.

EDIT: Also, the real question of our time is whether there's a habitable planet at Alpha Centauri.

electricitylikesme on
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Honk wrote:
    I really want us to find a "God-planet" within my lifetime. That would be super sweet.

What's that? A planet inhabited by gods?

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    No I mean like size, temperature, geological compositions et al. And preferably just around the corner.

PSN: Honkalot
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    oh I've got good news, like legitimate good news, this probably goes in the wisconsin thread but we have enough signatures to recall 2 senators and (probably) enough for the governor now

override367 on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    oh I've got good news, like legitimate good news, this probably goes in the wisconsin thread but we have enough signatures to recall 2 senators and (probably) enough for the governor now

HUZZAH!