As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Skyrim or SWTOR?

RderdallRderdall Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Happy Holidays everyone,

I have some spare cash after Christmas, and want to buy a new game. The problem is, I can't decide between Skyrim or SWTOR. My wife will shit a brick if I buy both of them, so I need some help deciding.

I beta tested SWTOR, and really enjoyed it, and I absolutely loved all of Bioware's previous games. I couldn't get into Morrowind back when it was a big deal, but have heard so many great things about Skyrim that I'm compelled to try it.

If Skyrim is chosen, am I better off getting it on PC rather than for the 360? Are the gameplay and graphics that much better that I should forego the comforts of my media room to sit at my computer?


Please help me make a decision!

steam_sig.png

Xbox Gamertag: GAMB1NO325Xi
Rderdall on

Posts

  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    I'm not gonna lie... I recently got both. I started Skyrim first.

    I haven't gotten further then installing SWTOR... Skyrim is just sooo freaking... amazing.

    I play it on 360 and it's awesome, but I know there are a lot of benefits to getting it for computer (mods being a huge one). That being said, it is probably a graphical powerhouse, so make sure your system can handle it otherwise I'd get it for the 360.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    If you only have enough money for one game, get Skyrim, because paying monthly for TOR means it'll add up to like 500 games. And buy it on the PC, of course. The modding tools aren't even out and the community has improved the game tenfold.

    TychoCelchuuu on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Skyrim. And get it for the computer so you can mod it. I'm playing it on the PS3 and it's amazing, but I'd love to be able to run it with a higher graphics detail.

  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I would argue for TOR first. Play the single player campaign, however long it takes. You don't have to do the end-game content to enjoy it, and it won't be 'lost time' since there's a narrative going on.

    The reason is mostly waiting for the mod community to build up for Skyrim (as in, get it for the PC). A performance mod is out, and further mods for bug fixing and balancing will eventually come around, and the larder compilation mods will eventually come together.

  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    I would argue for TOR first. Play the single player campaign, however long it takes. You don't have to do the end-game content to enjoy it, and it won't be 'lost time' since there's a narrative going on.

    The reason is mostly waiting for the mod community to build up for Skyrim (as in, get it for the PC). A performance mod is out, and further mods for bug fixing and balancing will eventually come around, and the larder compilation mods will eventually come together.

    True. This and the DLC that will come out...

  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you give Skyrim the time to settle into nicer mods and DLC, and if you wait long enough you could even snag the Game of the Year Edition and save some cash.

    Just get your wife to play SW:TOR with you :P

  • billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I would recommend getting Skyrim for the console. The experience is tailored for a controller and while you CAN have higher graphics on the PC, it really doesn't make that big of a difference for this game.

    And then, in a year or so, after you've explored every inch of that world, you can get it for sale on Steam or something and then explore all the amazing mods. But I think the first experience is most important, and in my opinion a slight increase in graphics doesn't beat the experience of a huge TV and a recliner.

    billwill on
    I hate you and you hate me.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    If you have the option of a PC, Elder Scrolls games are categorically better on PC. There's simply no debate. The game has numerous script bugs than can be fixed with a keystroke on PC and will simply bork your savegame on a console, not to mention the hundreds of PC mods that can be used to tweak the experience to your liking.

    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    A lot of really good games came out in this past year. If you're really looking to get the most bang for your buck, I'd fill out my catalog with all those games before paying the price premium on recent releases like Skyrim and SWTOR. Steam has Deus Ex: Human Revolution on sale for $16.99, Total War: Shogun 2 for $7.49, Portal 2 for $14.99, etc. etc. etc. If you want an (action) RPG, GameStop (digital) has Dragon Age II at $29.99 now. Or, you can splurge on one of the many Pack Deals/Bundles for the same price as a single game.

    Plus, as others are already mentioning, a game like Skyrim is usually best purchased after all the DLC and mods have come out, which takes about a year. SWTOR is brand new, so you may deal with things like server queues. Plus, it has a monthly fee, and it sounds like cost might be an issue for you after the first "free" months run out.

    If you're really set on either Skyrim or SWTOR, then I would personally prefer the former. That being said, based on your post, I think you'd enjoy the latter much more. Skyrim is essentially Morrowind on crack (I refuse to acknowledge the existence of Oblivion), so I doubt you'll enjoy it that much more just because it's the latest iteration of the franchise.

  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you're really set on either Skyrim or SWTOR, then I would personally prefer the former. That being said, based on your post, I think you'd enjoy the latter much more. Skyrim is essentially Morrowind on crack (I refuse to acknowledge the existence of Oblivion), so I doubt you'll enjoy it that much more just because it's the latest iteration of the franchise.

    I disagree. I never enjoyed Morrowind, quickly got sick of Oblivion, and couldn't get past the first town in FO3, but Skyrim is crack.

  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    If you have the option of a PC, Elder Scrolls games are categorically better on PC. There's simply no debate. The game has numerous script bugs than can be fixed with a keystroke on PC and will simply bork your savegame on a console, not to mention the hundreds of PC mods that can be used to tweak the experience to your liking.

    Key thing is playing the game barebones and finding out for yourself what you want fixed. If you give time for the mods to build up, you'll have options. Picking up the game now, you'll run into things you don't like about it, and there won't necessarily be a solution for it yet. The mod options for Oblivion were pretty damn expansive, so I don't doubt Skyrim will get the same treatment.

  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    im absolutely in love with SWTOR and cant recommend it enough, its definitely the best MMO out there. Having said that though, it of course DOES have the 15 bucks monthly fee. And it sounds like cost may be a factor for you so i dont know if its the right choice for you. Also if you are getting skyrim, go for it on PC, by far. Console is never the right choice on an elder scrolls game if you can run it on your PC.

    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    Skyrim. And get it for the computer so you can mod it. I'm playing it on the PS3 and it's amazing, but I'd love to be able to run it with a higher graphics detail.
    If you have the option of a PC, Elder Scrolls games are categorically better on PC. There's simply no debate. The game has numerous script bugs than can be fixed with a keystroke on PC and will simply bork your savegame on a console, not to mention the hundreds of PC mods that can be used to tweak the experience to your liking.

    What they said.

    TOR is fine, MMOs are cool, but I've spent 16 hours jerking around in skyrim so far and I find it so much more entertaining than any MMO I've played, and I've played a lot of them.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • naporeonnaporeon Registered User regular
    admanb wrote:
    If you're really set on either Skyrim or SWTOR, then I would personally prefer the former. That being said, based on your post, I think you'd enjoy the latter much more. Skyrim is essentially Morrowind on crack (I refuse to acknowledge the existence of Oblivion), so I doubt you'll enjoy it that much more just because it's the latest iteration of the franchise.

    I disagree. I never enjoyed Morrowind, quickly got sick of Oblivion, and couldn't get past the first town in FO3, but Skyrim is crack.

    I own both, and my vote is for Skyrim, for precisely the reason @admanb gives above. I have never liked any of the Elder Scrolls games, but am seriously in love with Skyrim.

  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    If you don't like the rest of the elder scrolls games, I personally would not get skyrim. What I've played of it was more interesting than morrowind/oblivion, but fundamentally it's very similar and it just doesn't do anything for me.

    NREqxl5.jpg
    hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    If you don't like the rest of the elder scrolls games, I personally would not get skyrim. What I've played of it was more interesting than morrowind/oblivion, but fundamentally it's very similar and it just doesn't do anything for me.

    I couldn't play more than an hour in Morrowind or Oblivion before getting too bored and quitting (and I tried to get into both many times). Same with Fallout 3.

    Skyrim, though? I have roughly 75 hours in that and I'm still only level 27. Though the mechanics may be fundamentally the same, there's something different that I can't put my thumb on that makes it more appealing.

    billwill on
    I hate you and you hate me.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It doesn't feel like a grind at all. I'm super interested doing side quests and seeing relationships develop and such.

    It's atypical of the standard RPG design. MMOs in general are way too grindy so if you're looking to get away form that aspect of RPGs, skyrim has definitely got it down.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    I've got both right now, because I lucked out with gifts.

    SWTOR is fun if you're looking for an MMO. But an MMO is what it is, and they all feel similar in the end. One of the worst things about SWTOR to me is how pigeonholed you are in your class selection, and this is made even worse by the locked-in nature of the starting portion of each class.

    Maybe I'm just burnt out on MMOs, but it just doesn't do that much for me. I will admit that the questing and voiceovers are superb, and that it allows you to invest in the storyline more than other MMOs do.

    Skyrim, on the other hand, really surprised me. I don't like Morrowind/Oblivion, so I don't know what I was expecting, but I bought into the hype—again. And this time, it's worth it. Certain aspects of the game have been tweaked to fit in more with gamers' expectations: the leveling system is easier and more rewarding, the race selection isn't as important, and crafting seems more accessible than before. The world, too, is awesome, and just wandering around leads you into dungeons that have pretty good loot, usually, and the lore is there in the form of books if you're after it.

    Anyway, tl;dr: Skyrim just seems to have much more possibility than SWTOR, mostly because SWTOR is inherently limited thanks to being an MMO. If you're looking for a new MMO to sink your teeth into, get TOR. If you're just looking for a new RPG, get Skyrim.

    !! ! ! !!
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'd say ToR over Skyrim because they have really delivered on the single player experience of the mmo, and if you're a star wars fan of any kind there is just so much to the game to Ooooh and Ahhh over.

    And Skyrim will be up for game of the year edition at some point later on down the road and you can pick it up on the cheap, and hopefully by then they'll have fixed most of their game wrecking bugs.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Kealoha wrote:
    I've got both right now, because I lucked out with gifts.

    SWTOR is fun if you're looking for an MMO. But an MMO is what it is, and they all feel similar in the end. One of the worst things about SWTOR to me is how pigeonholed you are in your class selection, and this is made even worse by the locked-in nature of the starting portion of each class.

    Maybe I'm just burnt out on MMOs, but it just doesn't do that much for me. I will admit that the questing and voiceovers are superb, and that it allows you to invest in the storyline more than other MMOs do.

    Skyrim, on the other hand, really surprised me. I don't like Morrowind/Oblivion, so I don't know what I was expecting, but I bought into the hype—again. And this time, it's worth it. Certain aspects of the game have been tweaked to fit in more with gamers' expectations: the leveling system is easier and more rewarding, the race selection isn't as important, and crafting seems more accessible than before. The world, too, is awesome, and just wandering around leads you into dungeons that have pretty good loot, usually, and the lore is there in the form of books if you're after it.

    Anyway, tl;dr: Skyrim just seems to have much more possibility than SWTOR, mostly because SWTOR is inherently limited thanks to being an MMO. If you're looking for a new MMO to sink your teeth into, get TOR. If you're just looking for a new RPG, get Skyrim.

    That would be due to the addition of crafting in general (other than alchemy, of course) :P

    Going to be nthing Skyrim. To me, Skyrim feels like Daggerfall's promise, realized. The only thing Skyrim doesn't have on Daggerfall is complete scale.

    And Mithril and Adamantine

    that too.

    Also going to suggest it on PC: there's already a UI mod improving the inventory screen, they're fixing Bethesda's lack of optimization (literally), and it's just gonna get even more insane once the mod tools come out in January. There's already technically infinite content in Skyrim, and it's just going to get more infinite.

    dkj3oHf.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Skyrim, there was well over a hundred hours of gameplay in there, but to say the content is infinite is stretching it a bit. I mean infinite "fetch this" or "Kill that guy" is not really infinite gameplay in my opinion.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    naporeon wrote:
    admanb wrote:
    If you're really set on either Skyrim or SWTOR, then I would personally prefer the former. That being said, based on your post, I think you'd enjoy the latter much more. Skyrim is essentially Morrowind on crack (I refuse to acknowledge the existence of Oblivion), so I doubt you'll enjoy it that much more just because it's the latest iteration of the franchise.

    I disagree. I never enjoyed Morrowind, quickly got sick of Oblivion, and couldn't get past the first town in FO3, but Skyrim is crack.

    I own both, and my vote is for Skyrim, for precisely the reason @admanb gives above. I have never liked any of the Elder Scrolls games, but am seriously in love with Skyrim.

    Same here. I was lucky enough to get Skyrim, Saint's Row 3, and Dark Soul from my GT Santa, and I figured I would play Skyrim for five minutes just to see what the hoopla was about and then get into Saint's Row 3, which I had previously rented and really enjoyed.

    It's now about two weeks later and I haven't taken Skyrim out of my Xbox.

  • RderdallRderdall Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice everyone. After reading everyone's comments, I've decided to go with Skyrim on the PC. I don't think I'll be disappointed after everyone's input. Thanks again, and all the best in the new year!

    steam_sig.png

    Xbox Gamertag: GAMB1NO325Xi
Sign In or Register to comment.