As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    My thumb is feeling better to the point that I could pick up a pint of guinness without pain.

This is excellent news.

• ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    Apparently i'm first on the leader boards. Go figure.

"Be excellent to each other."
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Joining the gym this week. Gonna get big.

I need to buy some more appropriate shoes.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Christ, nothing like a week break from the gym for an elbow issue to remind you how miserable life is when you don't work out.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Unless your elbow has come off the bone I wouldn't take a week off for that. Just find something you can do without it.

• Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    I'm inching closer to my 1000# goal. Bench moved up to 230#, Squats to 325# and deadlifts to 420#. It has been slow progress, but I'm feeling like I've made some key breakthroughs on squats that will hopefully translate to another 5-10#s next week. I'm hoping to break 1000# before the winter is out and I think that's definitely doable. The only huge opposing factor is my New Years resolution will be to drop below 200#s, which means I'll need to lose 25 over the next twelve months, so I'll be trying to lean gain which I've had little/no success with before.

edited December 2011
    Unless your elbow has come off the bone I wouldn't take a week off for that. Just find something you can do without it.
    The week ended, my first day back was today.

I'll note that for the future.

JAEF on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular

Chucks are the correct bigman shoes, if nobody has told you yet.

Also Shaz I'd be up for a Fitocracy group challenge, whatever that means. I'm totally using my deload week next week to quest-whore, I think I can finish 3 or 4 off.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    screw you @Peen, I'll take back my rightful place in third soon enough.....

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    Good luck busta this train rollin ain't never gonnna stop.

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Peen wrote:

Chucks are the correct bigman shoes, if nobody has told you yet.

Also Shaz I'd be up for a Fitocracy group challenge, whatever that means. I'm totally using my deload week next week to quest-whore, I think I can finish 3 or 4 off.

I grabbed some pumas that seem ok because I couldn't find chucks in my size.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    I'm inching closer to my 1000# goal. Bench moved up to 230#, Squats to 325# and deadlifts to 420#. It has been slow progress, but I'm feeling like I've made some key breakthroughs on squats that will hopefully translate to another 5-10#s next week. I'm hoping to break 1000# before the winter is out and I think that's definitely doable. The only huge opposing factor is my New Years resolution will be to drop below 200#s, which means I'll need to lose 25 over the next twelve months, so I'll be trying to lean gain which I've had little/no success with before.

That's bad ass. You're a bad ass.

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Day 1 was a rousing success! :D

My little brother felt sick to his stomach but said he had fun and my dad's legs were wobbly though he was too proud to admit it!

And now we're home and my little brother is drinking a tall glass of water and a banana.

I'm really proud of both of them.

lfYVHTd.png
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    Spent the last week on vacation. They obviously had no squat rack at the hotel "fitness center" but they had a smith machine so I said what the hell and did a couple squat workouts with it. What a bizarre device. I don't understand how somehow could possibly think using it would be a good idea when given the option to use a normal rack. And if one is a wuss too scared to squat, wouldn't they probably just be leg pressing instead? Anyways the worst part was the bar was completely smooth and it was sliding all over my back.
    FroThulhu wrote:
    I've already added an inch to my bis, but...I'm fuckin scared, honestly. I'm afraid I'm gonna meet with this trainer, and I'm gonna have nothing to bring. Like, even though I'm aware that I've upped all of my lift weights so far, he's just gonna be like 'nah, you're a bitch- never gonna be swole.' And, uh... this is pretty much the most important thing going on in my life. I mean aside from keeping my job and roof.

Like, I look in the mirror and see good stuff. But I'm scared. This is all I really care about.

Are you serious? The size of your biceps (or lack thereof) frightens you? Dude, we're picking stuff up and putting it back down right where we picked it up from. We're not solving Middle East peace or something. Lifting is pretty simple stuff once you get down to it and ignore the bullshit.

Congrats IWS, that's awesome! Getting people to keep it up is tough but it sounds like you're off to a good start.

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    Uncle Long wrote:

You know you can calculate your total based on 1RMs, right? As I recall from what you've posted, 230, 325 and 420 are all working weights, right? I bet you're past 1000.

That's actually my goal for the year, too. I'm only 100 pounds off right now, so it's very doable.

Peen wrote:
    Good luck busta this train rollin ain't never gonnna stop.
    welp, that title didn't last very long.............................

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    Gork wrote:
    Uncle Long wrote:

You know you can calculate your total based on 1RMs, right? As I recall from what you've posted, 230, 325 and 420 are all working weights, right? I bet you're past 1000.

That's actually my goal for the year, too. I'm only 100 pounds off right now, so it's very doable.

I'm 110lbs from a 1000lb total. Gentlemen's race, anyone?

Video or it didn't happen.

BEAST! enjoy it while it lasts, you're going all the way down son.

So I talk to some of my female friends about lifting, trying to encourage them to give it a shot. Common dismissals are usually accompanied by "I only want to lose weight" or "I don't want to look like a bodybuilder" etc.

Which is why it's nice to finally have something very specific like this to point them to. 6 months of a fairly standard routine, no cardio, maintaining the same weight while seeing a radical shift in body composition.

So....I probably should have eaten some carbs last night.......

I am currently eating breakfast (a thing I don't normally do) because I feel I was on the brink of passing out while lifting this morning.....so dizzy and shaky and vomitfeeling.

Also all my lifts were low today, bleh.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    Dudes this going up six flights of steps to go to the bathroom thing is seriously going to kill me.

But if I find out tonight that it's not affecting my squats I'll probably keep doing it.

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    ninzorjons wrote:
    Gork wrote:
    Uncle Long wrote:

I'm up for it.

(I just actually sat down and calculated it, I'm only 85lbs off)

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    JAEF wrote:
    So I talk to some of my female friends about lifting, trying to encourage them to give it a shot. Common dismissals are usually accompanied by "I only want to lose weight" or "I don't want to look like a bodybuilder" etc.

Which is why it's nice to finally have something very specific like this to point them to. 6 months of a fairly standard routine, no cardio, maintaining the same weight while seeing a radical shift in body composition.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

This is my go to for women I talk to about fitness that don't want to lift because 'they don't want to get bulky.'
    Which usually proves to really be 'I'm kinda lazy' since they still don't do the right things 99% of the time after getting that sort of information, they just keep drinking coke zero and eating like birds.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Well to be fair, that girl has a fairly restricted diet too.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    Gork wrote:
    ninzorjons wrote:
    Gork wrote:
    Uncle Long wrote:

I'm up for it.

(I just actually sat down and calculated it, I'm only 85lbs off)

Well, if you guys want too...

But, I actually just added another five pounds to my deadlift tonight (425), so if I can take on five to each of my big three next week I'll be there. I felt super strong on that pull, so I'm certain I can tack on another 5-10 next week. I was really surprised how easily it went up after the serious grind the week before.

Also, no, those numbers are all tested 1RMs. I think I can push it a little further, but after I break 1000 I think I'm going to go back to driving up my working weights with 3x5s. Right now I'm doing 5 3 1. Then again, I'm making progress on 5 3 1, so maybe keep it?

Sounds like you guys are gonna whoop me.

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote:
    I've already added an inch to my bis, but...I'm fuckin scared, honestly. I'm afraid I'm gonna meet with this trainer, and I'm gonna have nothing to bring. Like, even though I'm aware that I've upped all of my lift weights so far, he's just gonna be like 'nah, you're a bitch- never gonna be swole.' And, uh... this is pretty much the most important thing going on in my life. I mean aside from keeping my job and roof.

Like, I look in the mirror and see good stuff. But I'm scared. This is all I really care about.

Are you serious? The size of your biceps (or lack thereof) frightens you? Dude, we're picking stuff up and putting it back down right where we picked it up from. We're not solving Middle East peace or something. Lifting is pretty simple stuff once you get down to it and ignore the bullshit.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I mean is that this what I do. Going to the gym is what I do, what I love. This is a project, and it's what I care about. I care about being good at it.

Probably sounds weird either way. But whatevs.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Gonna keep track of my stuff on Fitocracy again if you want to scoff at my numbers.

I don't think with this crowd you need to worry about much scoffing, most of our thread heavyweights are infrequent Fitocracy posters. You'll be kicking our butts in no time.

Are you saying my 170 5x5 bench isn't super impressive?!!?!?!?!?? CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    maybe if you're a girl

• Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    A duck! wrote:
    I feel like I should have kept up with entering my Fitocracy information, but I also think it was negatively influencing what I was doing. There was a point where I was doing certain exercises because it would get me more points, and that is a terrible way to do things.

Haha. Yeah I feel the same way about Fitocracy sometimes. I've done some pretty goddamn exhausting workouts and circuits, but because they don't involve bench press, deadlift or squat, they result in 300 or 400 points total. I mean, I understand that the whole system works off how heavy the weight is that you're lifting, but it's a bit silly sometimes.
    A duck! wrote:
    Gonna keep track of my stuff on Fitocracy again if you want to scoff at my numbers.

What's your fitocracy name?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Hi guys, need your help.

My little brother is horrendously out of shape

He is twelve, and I know that's young to do any sort of workout routine or anything, but I got him a year's membership at my gym

I also started him on weight watchers

But mainly, I need to know what to have him do there with me

What, for how long, etc.

Also, I got my dad to sign up too. I was wondering if anybody had any of Tube or Wook's old workout routines lying around for me to give to him.

once your brother starts getting armpit hairs, he'll be fine to start working out and up to heavier weights

but ain't nothing wrong with light workouts

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    If he's twelve and only likes playing video games, I think they key idea is to get him to do something else, preferably something that he likes. Anything, as long as it involves some sort of physical activity... and if it's something that he enjoys then it'll be easier to get him to do it more.

I mean, I'm not even that old, but my childhood years were spent running around outside bashing shit with a stick, not playing video games. Though to be fair, by the time I was twelve, we owned a PC, and things started to go downhill from there for me.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    A duck! wrote:
    I feel like I should have kept up with entering my Fitocracy information, but I also think it was negatively influencing what I was doing. There was a point where I was doing certain exercises because it would get me more points, and that is a terrible way to do things.

Haha. Yeah I feel the same way about Fitocracy sometimes. I've done some pretty goddamn exhausting workouts and circuits, but because they don't involve bench press, deadlift or squat, they result in 300 or 400 points total. I mean, I understand that the whole system works off how heavy the weight is that you're lifting, but it's a bit silly sometimes.
    A duck! wrote:

What's your fitocracy name?

It's A_duck, I'm in the top 30 still, I think.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So I won't be able to get into the gym consistently for the next few months (4 at least, probably 5), so instead I'm going to be doing some serious running work with crunches and push ups, and I'm going to grab a pull up bar and some resistance bands for my room tomorrow to do those as well.

I'm thinking long distance runs one day and alt work, short distance runs and increased alt work, interval sprints for a fair distance, suicides and alt work, then suicides and interval sprints, and rotate those around during each week.

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Hi guys, need your help.

My little brother is horrendously out of shape

He is twelve, and I know that's young to do any sort of workout routine or anything, but I got him a year's membership at my gym

I also started him on weight watchers

But mainly, I need to know what to have him do there with me

What, for how long, etc.

Also, I got my dad to sign up too. I was wondering if anybody had any of Tube or Wook's old workout routines lying around for me to give to him.

once your brother starts getting armpit hairs, he'll be fine to start working out and up to heavier weights

but ain't nothing wrong with light workouts

Games and stuff that challenges him not just physically but in spatial awareness, coordination, and odd movement patterns. Neural pathways are in peak development in early adolescence and this is when its make or break time when it comes to athleticism. Get him a good start and it will go a long way for his future physical health (and enjoyment of working out)

Textbook form on squats today, feeling awesome. I'm confident in saying that my squat & bench are pretty solid in terms of technique. Just gotta work on the ol' deadlift now...

If everything goes right, I'll be competing in my first powerlifting meet on the 15th. After that, I think I'd like to try out 5/3/1 with the Boring But Big template. It's slow, but steady gains so it may actually take me longer than expected to reach the 1000# club.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    get him to do a sport or something, not a gym membership

a few months of spinning has added 60 pounds to my squat. I was surprised at how strong my legs have gotten

This discussion has been closed.