As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fire at Glasgow airport

GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
CNN is reporting that a Jeep has crashed into the arrivals section of the Glasgow airport and has caught fire. There are conflicting reports from witnesses: one has said he saw a man taking a gas cylinder out of the vehicle, one said the man was on fire when he left the car. Apparently, one man has been taken into custody.

There seems to be some confusion about the cause of the fire: the CNN anchor said that it might be the result of two cars colliding.

Needless to say, coming directly after the car bombs found in London, it's hard to assume this is just an accident.

I haven't seen anything online about this yet, not even on CNN.com or the BBC Web site.

steam_sig.png
IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
GoodOmens on

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Needless to say, coming directly after the car bombs found in London, it's hard to assume this is just an accident.

Because...? Flawed logic much?

zeeny on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    zeeny wrote: »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this reaction.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    zeeny wrote: »

Well, there's the fact that those were car bombs involving gas cylinders, and this is, or at least appears to be, a vehicle bomb involving gas cylinders, both on the same island.

Needless to say, that doesn't prove a connection to 100% certainty, but I think it's reasonable to assume some connection.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    just to clear up the details, the Jeep drove directly into the front of the terminal before exploding. comparisons have been made to the car bomb found in London yesterday, though no official word has been given yet. reports have placed two men inside the vehicle when it crashed, which would account for the conflicting reports. in addition to this two others have been arrested in connection with this.

also its worth noting that Scottish schools broke for summer yesterday, so its very likely that the airport would have been packed with families flying out on vacation.

Wraith260 on
  • RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6257194.stm

The bbc have had eye witnesses on, it was definitely deliberate. They tried to drive into the terminal building but collided with advertising boards. They tried to reverse but couldn't so they brought out petrol and doused themself and the jeep with it.

The Jeep went on fire with the guys inside it, they both tried to run away but one was attacked by bystanders and then arrested and the other one was caught by police.

I live in Glasgow so I've been paying particular attention.

Ritchmeister on
  • GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The bbc have had eye witnesses on, it was definitely deliberate. They tried to drive into the terminal building but collided with advertising boards. They tried to reverse but couldn't so they brought out petrol and doused themself and the jeep with it.

What the hell happened to the competent terrorists.

At least you could trust the IRA to blow shit up properly and in an organised fashion.

Gorak on
    edited June 2007
    Yeah one eyewitness called it "amateurish".

Ritchmeister on
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This is ten minutes outside where I live, so I've obviously taken a special interest in this.

Right: multiple eyewitnesses have confirmed both men arrested to be of Asian descent. BBC 24 has been telephoned by people who saw the incident, who claim the man driving the first jeep (which reached the doors of terminal 1) was dousing himself with petrol even outside the car. This same man (now clearly on fire) attempted to reach the trunk of his car, was brought down by a civilian and restrained - though not without resistance - by four police officers.

Strathclyde police have yet to formally speak on the matter, nor have they yet expressed a belief that this is connected to the bombs found in London.

The airport will be closed until at least 1.00 pm tomorrow afternoon.

Red or Alive on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    So I just turned the TV on and switched to CNN. Any word on casualties?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    :|

My girlfriend arrived back (via Glasgow airport) yesterday. Still, the article doesn't say anyone was hurt, and it really does sound like the kind of plot concocted while drunk.

japan on
    edited June 2007
    One guy on the BBC said they only casualty he saw was a guy who tried to restrain the terrorist and got injured in the scuffle. Although another woman said she saw a person recieving oxygen, but theres been no mention of any deaths or serious injuries yet.

Ritchmeister on
    edited June 2007
    This is an "Englishan, Scotsman and a terrorist walk into a bar" joke waiting to happen.

Gorak on
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gorak wrote: »
    This is an "Englishan, Scotsman and a terrorist walk into a bar" joke waiting to happen.

we've had them for years, though we usually replace 'terrorist' with 'irishman'. :P

Wraith260 on
    edited June 2007
    And we don't lose any humour.

Ritchmeister on
    edited June 2007
    Wraith260 wrote: »

we've had them for years, though we usually replace 'terrorist' with 'irishman'. :P

That was kind of the point.

Gorak on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There are so many conflicting reports at this point (like with any situation like this). Speaking in certainties at this point won't help at all.

MKR on
    edited June 2007
    It seems to be pretty much agreed on what happened by now. The only thing we don't know is if it was linked to London.

Ritchmeister on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah one eyewitness called it "amateurish".

I love the UK.

moniker on
    edited June 2007
    It seems to be pretty much agreed on what happened by now. The only thing we don't know is if it was linked to London.

It's unlikely that it was co-ordinated due to the shear fuck-muppetry of the execution.

London was an obvious attempt that was picked up straight away and this latest attack seems to have failed through incompetence.

If this is supposed to be terrorism, who the fuck is scared?

Gorak on
    edited June 2007
    BBC wrote:
    Stephen Clarkson said he helped police restrain one of the men.

"I managed to knock the fellow to the ground," he said.

:lol:

I love it when the BBC clean up eyewitness accounts. I'm sure the word he actually used did start with "f", though.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like there's been any loss of life, and the police say they've arrested them. This'll blow over after the trial.

japan on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's gotta take some serious balls to tackle a man on fire.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Or a large bucket of water.

Gorak on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Im tempted to become a terrorist to do the fuckin job properly.

How hard is it to blow shit up. The IRA need to start doing some night classes or something because terrorists these days are just so god damn incompetent.

The_Scarab on
  • ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    japan wrote: »
    BBC wrote:
    Stephen Clarkson said he helped police restrain one of the men.

"I managed to knock the fellow to the ground," he said.

:lol:

I love it when the BBC clean up eyewitness accounts. I'm sure the word he actually used did start with "f", though.

"I say, there's a chap on fire over there."

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Or a large bucket of water.

It's also gotta take some serious balls to try to put out a gasoline fire with a bucket of water.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I echo the sentiments about terrorists being rubbish. If half-a-dozen of us here were in charge large parts of cities would be ablaze by now. How hard is it to fill your car full of petrol and blow the damn thing up? Even some plain arson would be better than they've managed so far. Fathers 4 Justice are more effective than this lot.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
    edited June 2007
    It is kind of a blessing that the only people insane enough to want to kill large numbers of people for no very good reason are... you know... insane.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
    edited June 2007
    http://www.mi5.gov.uk/output/Page45.html

Apparently we're at threat level Critical. According to the 1 minute news on BBC Three.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    One person hurt, apparently, which sucks.

Still, these people are shitty terrorists.

EDIT: Ah, Coldred was watching too. That eyewitness needs to stop saying "obviously."

japan on
  • FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Coldred wrote: »

Apparently we're at threat level Critical. According to the 1 minute news on BBC Three.

Is critical the equivalent of red?

Or is that orange, fuck, what are the retarded colors we use again?

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
    edited June 2007

It's the maximum one. As it says in the link I provided.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/security/current-threat-level/

Another one for the lazy.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

http://www.dhs.gov/xinfoshare/programs/Copy_of_press_release_0046.shtm

MKR on
  • FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I was trying to make a joke, but I think I did it rather poorly.

Mainly poking fun at how our system is color coded as if we're morons and yours is nice and clear.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
    edited June 2007

I was trying to make a joke, but I think I did it rather poorly.

Mainly poking fun at how our system is color coded as if we're morons and yours is nice and clear.

Sorry. We also have a Counter-Terrorist Response Level, which I guess must be Exceptional as opposed to Heightened at the moment. Hopefully that'll have gone down though by Monday.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • KartanKartan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The award for shittiest execution of a terrorist attack goes to...

Seriously. If you want to blow up an airport by driving your car into it, learn how to drive first.

Of course, it is somewhat unsettling that apparently one has to rely on terrorists screwing up to prevent stuff from happening.

Kartan on
    edited June 2007
    If this is "critical" then there is something very wrong with our defenses.

Seriously, who in the UK is actually scared right now?

Gorak on
    edited June 2007
    Oh and the old system:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIKINI_state

The "BIKINI state" has just as unclear as the US one. I mean "Black Special" what the hell?

Gorak: Frankly, I'm pissing my underpants.

With laughter.

Edit: Damn, it's weird seeing Gordon Brown giving a Prime Ministerial statement.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Kartan wrote: »
    Of course, it is somewhat unsettling that apparently one has to rely on terrorists screwing up to prevent stuff from happening.

That's not news.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Adrien wrote: »
    Kartan wrote: »

That's not news.

I dunno, it's only when they screw up spectacularly like this that we hear about them anyway.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It looks as if a couple of guys were drunk, saw the carbombs in London and thought: 'I've got a full tank of petrol let's get down to the airport!'

But seriously I could build better bombs with an A-Level in chemistry. The 21/7 bombers just made a bomb using the combustion of sugar in flour, sped up with O2 from the hydrogen peroxide degrading. And they still fucked it up.

But then again these guys don't look as if they're the smartest guys about:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6730953.stm

Anarchy Rules! on