As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend on!] Need to get my laptop on!

JokermanJokerman EverythingEverywhereRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So my current laptop is le boked, thanks to a busted screen c\o my 4 year old step brother. Financial aid money is coming in soon, so I'm going to be getting a new laptop. My price range is about 300-700 bucks, with nothing smaller then a 500gb HD. The main thing I'll be using it for is some light gaming, taking notes for class, and of course, browsing and the like.

I need something solid, and would perfer something that will be "future proof" through to the end of school (I have about 2 more years left).

Been eyeing this Toshiba, and thinking about pulling the trigger on it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-Matrix-Silver-17.3-Satellite-L755D-S7332-Laptop-PC-AMD-Quad-Core-A6-3400M-Accelerated-Processor-Blu-ray-Disc-Drive-and-Windows-7-Home-Premiu/17419818

but any suggestions are welcomed!

Jokerman on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    You do NOT want to be hauling around a 17" laptop to classes. Trust me. Get a 13"-15" and an external monitor if you need more screen space.

This is nice, and Asus is a great manufacturer...

http://www.amazon.com/U31SD-AH31-13-3-Inch-Light-Laptop-Black/dp/B005SRZATG/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325212444&sr=1-11

Esh on
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I don't have advice RE: particular laptops in your price range, but yes, for the love of god, if you really want your laptop to be relatively portable... do not grab a 17". It won't fit in 90% of messenger bags OR backpacks that exist in this world (most bags that do fit them are pricey), they're awkward to carry around, and they're probably reasonably heavy (haven't owned one in a few years, so not as bad anymore, though). I wouldn't personally go with a 13", either-- I'd recommend 15" for a very useable size without the headaches that come with a 17". Personally, I have a Sony VAIO that's actually 16", and it does fit in backpacks (just barely small enough). It's not too bad (and I really love it to pieces, but even with the steal of a deal we bought it using it was still slightly outside your price range), not very heavy or anything, but still fairly awkward to carry around, especially if it's open. So even a 16" is kind of alright... but when you pass that size, there are problems.

Essee on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    This is the bag I own, so space is no problem. I am leaning towards a smaller size now, if anything then to not monopolize table or desk space. 13 is kind of small, but i'm considering that Asus (How is that pronounced, by the way? Rhymes with the Spanish pronunciation of Jesus?). My main concern is the processor in it. It's the same speed as my busted Acer, which I got for 400 bucks a year and a half ago. Is it enough spec to stay current for awhile?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're only doing "light gaming" then yes, it's perfectly fine. You might have better luck asking over in the Technology sub-forum though.

It's not space, it's the fact that 17"s are heavy as fuck and will sit very awkwardly in your bag.

Esh on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Most LCDs are "wide screen" now, so a 15" is as a wide as a 17" used to be, just shorter. So yes, a 13 - 15" would be the way to go. Looking for models without a disc drive would save on weight and increase battery life too, but depends on how comfortable you are with "the cloud".

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote:
    Most LCDs are "wide screen" now, so a 15" is as a wide as a 17" used to be, just shorter. So yes, a 13 - 15" would be the way to go. Looking for models without a disc drive would save on weight and increase battery life too, but depends on how comfortable you are with "the cloud".

Yeah, I don't remember the last time I used the Superdrive on my MacBook Pro.

• Options
    I think I've settled on this bad boy.

http://www.amazon.com/U46SV-DH51-14-Inch-Light-Laptop-Silver/dp/B005PAIQSI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325302736&sr=1-1

A little out of my price range, but i'm willing to eat ramen a few more nights a month to have something so nice and welel built.

• Options
    Jokerman wrote:
    I think I've settled on this bad boy.

http://www.amazon.com/U46SV-DH51-14-Inch-Light-Laptop-Silver/dp/B005PAIQSI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325302736&sr=1-1

A little out of my price range, but i'm willing to eat ramen a few more nights a month to have something so nice and welel built.

That is a very good choice. Trust me, you'll be happy spending a little extra now.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you Esh, for making me think small. Space is at such a premium at our lecture halls, this will well be worth it.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    That does look good.

17" sounds awesome, and it is if you don't plan on moving it, but you'll be quite happy with that one after your first trip.