As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Khoo Stuff #1: Tracking a Viral Story in Real-Time

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited December 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Tube on

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    My kingdom for a Khoo Stuff #2, and so on.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    that is utterly fascinating.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    2012 is going to be the year Khoo becomes the breakout star from Penny Arcade.

I saw him tweeting about the server load while this stuff was going on.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    This is actually really freaking cool. I love this kind of analysis.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    This is awesome stuff. I'd like to know more.

Someone wake the Air Marshall, Klandathu is now less important.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Khoo for President.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    This was an awesome read, seconding the "My Kingdom for a Khoo Stuff #2" sentiment.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Yes for Khoo Stuff #2. I would love to read the benial diary of day-to-day business stuff like inventory management and income projections.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised to not see this posted anywhere here (maybe I missed it), but Khoo is doing an AMA:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/nx0bs/im_robert_khoo_the_guy_that_runs_the_business/

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    AshokaAshoka A Hub subforum that works? Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Cambiata wrote:
    I'm surprised to not see this posted anywhere here (maybe I missed it), but Khoo is doing an AMA:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/nx0bs/im_robert_khoo_the_guy_that_runs_the_business/

I could read that shit all damn day. Is it wrong that the actual comic produced on PA doesn't really interest me that much but everything else (especially PA:TS) is just completely and utterly fascinating to me. I chalk this all up to the genius of Khoo of khoourse.

Ashoka on
    WNskB.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Is it weird that I find Khoo to be an incredibly sexy dude? I have a tremendous girl boner for him.

I mean, uh, fascinating information! Yeah...

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:
    Is it weird that I find Khoo to be an incredibly sexy dude? I have a tremendous girl boner for him.

My fiancée wants a signed photo of him.

I'm trying to think of the least creepy way to ask for one.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    KalTorak wrote:
    Cambiata wrote:

Talk about monetization opportunities! I'm thinking beach setting, open-necked muslin shirt, looking off into the distance.
    Signed: Thinking of Khoo...

Ashoka on
    WNskB.jpg
  • Options
    Ashoka wrote:
    KalTorak wrote:
    Cambiata wrote:

Talk about monetization opportunities! I'm thinking beach setting, open-necked muslin shirt, looking off into the distance.
    Signed: Thinking of Khoo...

I.... I would buy one.

:oops:

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    "We're doing something that is KIND OF A BIG DEAL in February. Probably the biggest move we've made since PAX. SORRY. I AM A BAD PERSON."

1. You're a monster.
    2. Penny Arcade theme park!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    There's also this:
    [–]sg_luke 1 point 3 hours ago
    Robert, as an Investment industry professional, I would love to subtly show off my gamer pride by wearing more First Party clothes. Can we ever expect to see button down shirts, ties, cufflinks, or even that FP coat you sometimes wear on PATV? Also, where are the kid clothes? I would LOVE to dress up my kid in PA gear. Instead I have to settle for Woot as the closest thing.
    permalinkreportreply
    [–]robertkhoo 2 points 23 minutes ago
    2012 will be the year of First Party. REMEMBER THIS REPLY.
    For kids clothes, we are thinking about it... definitely.

I've been salivating over those FP jackets since they first made an appearance.

• Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Aurich wrote:
    "We're doing something that is KIND OF A BIG DEAL in February. Probably the biggest move we've made since PAX. SORRY. I AM A BAD PERSON."

1. You're a monster.
    Theme park was mentioned in there somewhere as a crazy idea that was pitched to them which they turned down.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Aurich wrote:

1. You're a monster.
    I wonder if that's related to this:
    The forums are just a great place for PA readers to hang out, but strategically the login you use will play an important role in other stuff we add to PA.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Robert Khoo is awesome. Apparently, N-Control's new PR guy is awesome too, by the looks of it. I really hope something really positive comes from these two men, perhaps working together. After all, the Avenger and Child's Play seem perfect for each other.

Edit: Oh damn, in one of those AMA's is a post about how he's been talking to Jamie at CP, and Jamie replied saying they are already working this angle.

This is why I love this company, and wish I could do more. CP was actually one of the 3 charities we chose to work with this year due to most of us in the company being gamers, so we're hosting a local Dominion tournament to raise funds.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Opty wrote:
    Aurich wrote:

1. You're a monster.
    I wonder if that's related to this:
    The forums are just a great place for PA readers to hang out, but strategically the login you use will play an important role in other stuff we add to PA.
    PA F2P MMO.

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    That's what I was just thinking. Or some kind of in-browser meta game, with chievos and whatnot.

• Options
    Aurich wrote:
    That's what I was just thinking. Or some kind of in-browser meta game, with chievos and whatnot.

"No, no.. Don't go in that portal... That's the SE++ portal. You will never make it out alive."

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    halkun wrote:
    Aurich wrote:

"No, no.. Don't go in that portal... That's the SE++ portal. You will never make it out alive."
    "I'll be fine, I'm a level 17 Badposter."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    halkun wrote:
    Aurich wrote:

"With Sublime Douchebaggery unlocked."

WNskB.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Ashoka wrote:
    halkun wrote:
    Aurich wrote:

"Oh, you're probably looking for debate and discourse or games and technology then."

but seriously, cut that subforum war shit out you guys.

Anyway this is a super interesting read Khoo, do more things like this!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Ashoka wrote:
    halkun wrote:
    Aurich wrote:

"Oh, you're probably looking for debate and discourse or games and technology then."

but seriously, cut that subforum war shit out you guys.

In the Sublime Douchebaggery of the Near Future PA Forum browser game there is only Love.

Ashoka on
    WNskB.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I was using the phrase badposter with love! Though maybe it's only on the Merch Industrial forum that was a compliment.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Aurich wrote:

this just in: Penny Arcade to merge with Gaia Online

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    halkun wrote:
    Yes for Khoo Stuff #2. I would love to read the benial diary of day-to-day business stuff like inventory management and income projections.

That may be sarcasm, but I would read it, and I would subscribe

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote:
    halkun wrote:

That may be sarcasm, but I would read it, and I would subscribe

Nope, I'm a business major. I was being quite serious.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    KalTorak wrote:
    Cambiata wrote:

I'm trying to think of the least creepy way to ask for one.
    Do it at pax, go with. "My fiance wants a signed photo of you, but I'm afraid she'd rape you if she were here right now so in the interests of me staying engaged I am acting as her proxy... for the signed picture...not the raping..."

zepherin on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2012
    Let's get back behind the creepy line shall we?

Tube on
  • Options
    LaemkralLaemkral Captain Punch King Chester, VARegistered User regular
    I also find the behind the scenes stuff to be oddly fascinating and it makes me glad that the spotlight gets shared in the office rather than Mike and Jerry hogging it. That's what makes this such a great company is that it's all about everyone and not just the "faces" of the company. Everyone and everything that makes up Penny Arcade contributes to its overall awesomeness, from the charity folks to the design team to the merch warehouse and shipping folks. All are recognized.

By the by, if Penny Arcade is going public I want in on the IPO.

Avatar courtesy of MKR, and the strip I appeared in.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Laemkral wrote:
    I also find the behind the scenes stuff to be oddly fascinating and it makes me glad that the spotlight gets shared in the office rather than Mike and Jerry hogging it. That's what makes this such a great company is that it's all about everyone and not just the "faces" of the company. Everyone and everything that makes up Penny Arcade contributes to its overall awesomeness, from the charity folks to the design team to the merch warehouse and shipping folks. All are recognized.

By the by, if Penny Arcade is going public I want in on the IPO.
    Unfortunately I don't see many reasons for Penny Arcade to need to raise that kind of expansion capital, and if they offered an IPO we would not likely get to see any of that because we don't have the kind of access required, well most of us, I'm sure there are some PA people with Series 7 licenses running about. A DPO would be more favorable to fans owning a piece of Penny Arcade without having to go through the secondary markets and pay a markup.

zepherin on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Laemkral wrote:

I want to see A Vegetarian Outdoors: Nature Odysseys with Dave. No seriously, more Dave please.

Ashoka on
    WNskB.jpg
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    this is fascinating. add one more vote for future Khoo stuff installments pls.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562