As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Xbox Live memberships from another country?

DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
I remember a while ago there was a big deal made about Microsoft banning/deleting/whatevering Xbox Live accounts from other countries. It was done mainly to stop people from creating Japanese or European accounts to download exclusive demos and whatnot. I'm wondering if this applies to my situation, and what I can do about it.

I recently moved from California to Alberta. My Live account was created at, and still carries, my old Cali address. I tried changing it, both through the dashboard and online, but I'm not able to change the country at all. I can change to a different address in the States, but that's no help to me.

Do you think this will lead to a problem with the aforementioned policy on out-of-country accounts? How serious was this banhammer action? If it is serious, how do I change my address properly? I don't really care to proactively call Microsoft, and I'd rather not associate Live with one of my Canadian credit cards, so what should I do?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Daybreak on

• AimAim Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't think they banned accounts - I think they just blocked access to content not availlable in your console's physical location, regardless of what country your gamertag is associated with.

Aim on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The only content they blocked was US Video Marketplace content, abroad from the US.

Demos, Themes, Gamerpics etc all work from all regions still.

Foreign demos are the main thing for me, and they work fine. Not tried any foreign purchasable DLC for a while.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wait, the profile trick still works for demos and the like?! Also, do videogame videos work, like, not things from the Video Marketplace but rather just normal trailers and so on?

For example, there's a new Eternal Sonata trailer which is US/Canada only. :( Actually, if the trick works I'll just get the demo! :o

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
    edited June 2007
    squirly wrote: »
    Wait, the profile trick still works for demos and the like?! Also, do videogame videos work, like, not things from the Video Marketplace but rather just normal trailers and so on?

Yes. Definately.

And yeah, I think so, but most trailers are available across all regions. But I think yes.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Yes. Definately.

And yeah, I think so, but most trailers are available across all regions. But I think yes.
    Awesome! Thanks for the [fast] reply. Eternal Sonata/Trusty Bell demo here I come !

Edit: Sorry to be a jerk (Especially after your helpful post) but http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/ - I was given this link awhile back. D::(

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
    edited June 2007

Yes. Definitely. {fixed heh}

Awesome! Thanks for the [fast] reply.

Eternal Sonata/Trusty Bell demo here I come !

Edit: Sorry to be a jerk (Especially after your helpful post) but http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/ - I was given this link awhile back. D::(

No worries, after a bunch of beers I need help spelling :P

And likewise, I recently scored the Eternal Sonata/Trusty Bell demo this way, very awesome it is too.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Awesome, thanks guys! I guess there's nothing to worry about at all.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So I've hit another issue with having an out of country account - I bought an MS points card from Futureshop, but it's only valid for Canadian accounts. I'd really like to be able to use these points on my account, so I'd like to actually change my region now.

Does anyone know how to do this? I can't do it through Xbox.com, nor through the dashboard.

Alternatively, I guess I could make a new, Canadian 'tag and put the points on that one, but I'd like them to be associated with me.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I would suggest you give microsoft a call.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる