As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] GO TO NEW THREAD NOW

SudsSuds Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Games and Technology
DNfgD.png

NYkZ8.png
fzsT8.pngtErbf.png

steamlogom.png
facebook.gif twitter.gif

fzsT8.pngCoping with Steam: Artistic Commentary on Our Shared AfflictiontErbf.png
tMRzb.jpg

xHlDY.jpg

JG9rG.jpg

steamthemall.jpg

steamdiscs.jpg

paydaycomic.jpg

steamgifting.jpg

neverfinish.jpg

coupons.jpg

fzsT8.pngMost Frequently Asked QuestionstErbf.png

1.  Steam's search tool is cumbersome and not very informative. Is there a website, other than Steam's, I can go to find out what's on sale?
2.  Can I register this copy of (Insert Game Here) on Steam?
Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it. You can also use this to add your own shortcuts with fake names to your Steam games list to make it look like you're playing Episode 3. Hilarious, right?

3.  If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?
Not usually. You're welcome to ask in this thread, although if you Google it it'll probably be answered even faster. Valve games are typically the only packs that let you do this, and even then it sometimes doesn't work.

4.  Why isn't {Insert Game Here} available in my horrible little corner of the earth?
Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire.  Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game. This very thread is a great place to ask!

5.  How do I get an invite to the Penny Arcade Steam group?
The most convenient way is to just post a link to your Steam profile page (getting one of the swank signatures described below makes it easy) and ask for an invite. Just as a word of advice, we tend to prefer that you be a regular contributor to get an invite to the group. The rule of thumb is 6 months of activity on the forums. We are well known for our generosity, and like to make sure any new additions are here for the good of the community, and not to leech during sales. That said, we're a friendly group, so make yourself at home and start posting and you'll be there in no time!

fzsT8.pngSome Words on GiftingtErbf.png

If you receive a game or pack via a gift or a contest, remember to thank that person either through a PM or by announcing it in the thread. This is not optional. We are classy gentlemen and will act as such.

Steam's new gifting features allow you to store up games in your gift bank when you purchase them, instead of having to email yourself the gift link. It'll be an option during checkout.  

A few things to remember as a giftee:
1. Make it possible to track you from PA Forums to Steam. A link directly to your steam ID is usually the most convenient. Remember, your Steam ID is different than your steam name. If you just include text to your steam name, we have to search and scroll through 5 pages to find you (and we may not find you if you're not using the same name/avatar combo!).

2. Make it possible to track you from Steam to PA Forums. Best bet is using similar avatar/name. Understandably, some people don't want to do that. In that case, you should have "I'm ______ on Penny Arcade Forums!" in your profile blurb.

Generally speaking, if you're selected for a gift from a stranger on here it will be, usually, one of two ways:

You will either post in the thread (so they will go to your profile to friend you and then to the store to send a gift.
—or—
Someone will want to gift a certain game and go to the store page where you can see everyone who has it on their wishlist.

Also, remember that a gifter can see when you added a game to your wishlist. If you add it on the day of the sale, you might have a smaller chance of being gifted it than someone who has been interested in it since release. Gifters should also make sure they are identifiable from Steam to PA Forums. Some people are shy and are too nervous to message a gifter and say "hey thanks, I have no idea who you are on forums!"

fzsT8.pngAn Important Word on ConteststErbf.png

If you decide to run or participate in a giveaway contest for gift copies of games, please remember that all entry submissions must now be made via PM. The forum mods have stated that pages of the thread being filled with pictures, videos, etc. submitted as contest entries will lead to such contests being banned. So please, for the sake of the thread – take it to PMs.  

fzsT8.pngHelpful StufftErbf.png

Steam Mover
Does your Steam library have 800 games? Do you wish you could move some of those games to different hard drives instead of deleting them entirely and then downloading them again when you want to play them? Steam Mover is here for you.

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not. Hint: you probably do.

Aussies
You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Also: Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

I've also been told you Aussies might want to try Angus Wolfcastle's SteamManager. Setting it up is easy is you follow the instructions here. If you find you're still being charged for your steam downloads, try changing the setting like in this link here.

fzsT8.pngCool Community Add-OnstErbf.png

Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon.  Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
steam_sig.png

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Roulette
Having trouble picking a game out of your burgeoning [strike]backlog[/strike] gamebank to play?  Let VicWhiten's Steam Roulette decide!  Just type in your Steam community ID (easier if you set up a custom URL on your Steam profile page), and Steam Roulette will read your library and randomly pick one game every time you hit "Spin the Wheel!"  It even connects to Steam to allow you to install or start the game with a single click.  

What's all this about serving "The Newell?"
It started with this comic:
steamregulator.jpg
And now it is our unofficial official motto.

//credit for the op contents goes to the ever classy @TychoCelchuuu.

camo_sig2.png
Suds on

• SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    2nd post! Like to give a shoutout to classy @Inzigna for his gift of Poker Night! Sadly, I don't actually know how to play poker, but I shall now work on fixing that immediately :)

steam_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Should say "I've got 99 problems and they're ALL BILLS"

I bought all the Civ DLC on a whim. It it just me or did China get nerfed? I though they had crazy population growth or something, carrying over from Mao in Civ Rev.

Also, I met the Viking ruler, and he's like "hey! we should spar sometime!" Goddamn Vikings :D
    Sword in my hand, axe on my side
    Valhall awaits, soon I will die
    Bear skin on my back, Wolf's jaw on my head
    Valhall awaits me, when I'm dead
    [/NOOOOOOOOORRRRDS]

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Slimcea wrote:
    2nd post! Like to give a shoutout to classy @Inzigna for his gift of Poker Night! Sadly, I don't actually know how to play poker, but I shall now work on fixing that immediately :)

Classy begets classy. Thank you for your gift of seriousness and sam.

That said, playing Bastion for a while has sold me on the soundtrack and am tempted to get it now for less than a fiver. Anyone else has it and can comment on it?

And, taking advantage of this new threadness, a few more hours left:

signature.png

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    (I'm going to re-post this from the last thread so it doesn't get lost:)

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I decided on not posting a tally.

It's not because I'm lazy, I'm keeping a list anyways, so I don't get confused, so posting it would be a matter of mere copy&paste.

However, I fear that if I post the full list of all the games that I have been gifted on my birthday and during the sale as a whole, it would most certainly lead to me being banned for life here, for being the most successful moocher of all time :mrgreen:
    People have been so incredibly generous to me, that it humbled me over and over again. One of my resolutions for the new year is getting back at each and every single one of you, to even out my gifting karma ;)
    I have given thanks in the thread for every gift I received, and most of the time I additionally thanked the person in question in the chat, if I managed to catch them online.

To everybody who gave me a gift: You know who you are, and I bow my head in recognition of the class that oozes from every corner of this thread :)

That being said, I have the utmost respect for all the people who frequent these forums, no matter if they gave me a gift or not, or if they received one from me. One of the things I enjoyed most was doing my little giveaway, which got more entries than I expected :) I'm also a bit (more than that, actually) sad that the sale comes to a close, because I thoroughly enjoyed the activity it has caused for this thread. I hope we can keep at least some of it up after the sale is over!

TL;DR: <3

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    @busfahrer - Yeah dude, I tallied my gifts received/won vs. gifts sent out and it was not as classy a ratio as I was aiming for. I just ran out of money. Just an opportunity for me to ninja gift when people least expect it now, when monies become available again.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Maybe that was the point of the coupons. Being able to gift at close-to-sale prices outside of sale season.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    The only way that I see myself using any of my coupons is if they stack with daily\weekend\midweek deals.
    I'm not fussed enough about Singularity to buy it with my 66% off coupon but if it were half price and I could then get 66% off that I'd probably go for it.

steam_sig.png
  • PodunkPodunk Registered User regular
    So it appears we can't use coupons despite is being the 2nd. I loaded up Arkham City into my cart, and figure I'll just keep refreshing it at the end of the sale in hopes that the two discounts stack for a moment.

camo_sig2.png
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    I imagine it is Jan 2nd, Valve time.

"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Wintersael is still occurring. I'd guess the coupons go live when the dailies end.

Oh brilliant
  • PluffPluff BrazilRegistered User regular
    First Page! \o/

steam_sig.png
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Oh, wow, I hadn't even noticed that all the coupons are January through March. I figured they'd be at least a year.

So... March sale?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • PluffPluff BrazilRegistered User regular
    Wintersael is still occurring. I'd guess the coupons go live when the dailies end.

For Steam January 2nd only starts at 16:00 pm in Brazil, which is -3:00 GMT, for example.
    When the winter sale clock reach 0:00 you all will probably be able to use your coupons.

steam_sig.png
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Thanks to @EvilMonkey for the gift of Gemini Rue! This was one I have wanted for a while that didn't go on a DD. plus his message was fantastic. Thanks!

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Anyone here play Recettear, and have a few pointers? I'm just barely getting by, and now I'm half a day from defaulting on the loan. Every week I get the required money about halfway through the day it's due on, usually by selling one big item, so I can't really get anything good going. The strategy I've worked out is to do one or two dungeon runs a week, buy from the market as much as possible, buybuybuy whenever something goes blue, sellsellsell whenever it goes red. I feel like I'm getting by OK but the loan repayments are just too much for me to handle while also building up stock.

Also, kids have no money and can barely be bartered with. Does selling them cheap shit sort of level them up, meaning that they'll gradually have more and more money?

Kind of late now, but focus more on getting a combo string going (them liking the first price you offer) than milking them for as much as possible. You'll level up faster, and making money will become easier.
    Bullio wrote:
    I kept a running Excel file. It was fun since I almost never have an excuse to use it anymore.

I've done this since the 2010 Thanksgiving sale. It's always called "Steam Damage.xls"

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Damage: Only the Deus Ex DLC

I discovered that the best way to combat my steam sales purchases is to make sure I already own everything

Alegis on
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    I haven't been able to install any new games for about 3 or 4 days now due to the steam servers being unavailable. :(

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Hooray new thread!! So does anyone want Terraria? I asked during the sale, but it was too busy for people to notice...

that or everyone owns it now.

• RoyceX7RoyceX7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    New Thread :D

Read somewhere that some sales listed to be valid till 20 Jan. (eg. Fallout new vegas). See if it could be stacked with the coupons?

But this will only bring down to the daily sales price even if you have a -50% coupon lol

RoyceX7 on
    Steam: RoyceX7

steam_sig.png
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    darklite_x wrote:
    I haven't been able to install any new games for about 3 or 4 days now due to the steam servers being unavailable. :(

Have you tried changing your region? Typically when the US area is hammered I try somewhere in the Euro area like Portugal, and if it's still persists I hit Asia around Taiwan. Eventually I find somewhere that has a slot or two open.

camo_sig.png
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    When I win the Steam Grand Prize, I will be a benevolent vidya game overlord.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Anyone here play Recettear, and have a few pointers? I'm just barely getting by, and now I'm half a day from defaulting on the loan. Every week I get the required money about halfway through the day it's due on, usually by selling one big item, so I can't really get anything good going. The strategy I've worked out is to do one or two dungeon runs a week, buy from the market as much as possible, buybuybuy whenever something goes blue, sellsellsell whenever it goes red. I feel like I'm getting by OK but the loan repayments are just too much for me to handle while also building up stock.

Also, kids have no money and can barely be bartered with. Does selling them cheap shit sort of level them up, meaning that they'll gradually have more and more money?

Kind of late now, but focus more on getting a combo string going (them liking the first price you offer) than milking them for as much as possible. You'll level up faster, and making money will become easier.
    Bullio wrote:
    I kept a running Excel file. It was fun since I almost never have an excuse to use it anymore.

I've done this since the 2010 Thanksgiving sale. It's always called "Steam Damage.xls"

Get a combo going, get an idea of what price various customers will go for, and keep your combo at all costs until you get to a relatively high level. Your merchant level increases both the value of items you can purchase to later sell, and the budgets of your customers.

Also, if you are about to fail a payment spend all your money on shit to sell, and then just keep at it until you fail the payment. You'll then start over with all your levels and items, but no money... but if you invested all your money in stuff to sell, you'll be sitting pretty and able to make it all the way this time. I had to loop once on my first playthough, so don't feel bad about it!

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    so i thanked him in the old thread but didn't realize that @suds was alabastor slim. so thanks to suds for the puzzle agents.

also everyones favorite classy german bus driver just gave me some AI:war DLC, thanks @busfahrer

camo_sig.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Kainy wrote:

Bullio wrote:

Get a combo going, get an idea of what price various customers will go for, and keep your combo at all costs until you get to a relatively high level. Your merchant level increases both the value of items you can purchase to later sell, and the budgets of your customers.

Also, if you are about to fail a payment spend all your money on shit to sell, and then just keep at it until you fail the payment. You'll then start over with all your levels and items, but no money... but if you invested all your money in stuff to sell, you'll be sitting pretty and able to make it all the way this time. I had to loop once on my first playthough, so don't feel bad about it!

Merchant level doesn't directly affect peoples' budgets. Their budgets increase when they get 'ideal' deals, which is different for each customer. When you see hearts over their head, their budget just increased. This is important to do because if you don't, they'll never be able to afford your good stuff, even at favorable prices.

If I remember right, 112% markup was the magic number that made almost everyone happy. The key thing that has been mentioned is that the game lies to you. You don't want to squeeze all your customers for each penny, you want them happy and increasing their budget.

Well kinda sad that the PA chat group seems to have been abandoned again once the sales end. Come on people, hang out in chat.

steam_sig.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Man, Terrarria is difficult to figure out. Can't even make a proper house.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Well, I pretty much got everything I wanted from the Steam Holiday Sales. The only thing I didn't pick up was Serious Sam 3, which I actually don't really want to even buy until I finish The Second Encounter. I guess there is no hope of Serious Sam 2 ever coming out for a digital delivery service? How come? I'm kind of anal about playing games in their proper order.

Are the DLC packs for Arkham City really that good?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Fencingsax wrote:

You mean for an NPC to live in?

I haven't played since 1.04, but the requirements were always:

- Enclosed with wood or better for ceiling, left and right walls, and floor (though I'm not sure if the floor could be dirt or not; you might be able to get away with that).
    - At least one supporter (such as a table).
    - At least one chair.
    - At least one light source (such as a torch).
    - A door.
    - The entire background wall needs to be complete for the area the house encloses.

Also, I think the inside needs to be 5x7 or something at bare minimum but I am probably misremembering because that seems fairly small.

Fencingsax wrote:

There's a tool to identify why certain things are not a house now. Open up your inventory and click on the House icon and then use the Housing Query command. It should tell you what you're missing.

steam_sig.png
    Slimcea wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

There's a tool to identify why certain things are not a house now. Open up your inventory and click on the House icon and then use the Housing Query command. It should tell you what you're missing.

Oh really? Sweet. I should fire it up again.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Spoit wrote:
    Not steamworks, but if you have any of those $5 amazon codes, the new sales rolled over. GTA4 for $5 and Civ 4 for $9 (free and $4 after the code) are both steals

Oh yeah, and another good TBS that you could look at is Might and Magic: clash of heroes, though that might be more of a turn based puzzler than strategy
    Anybody have a link for their list of "Best of 2011" games? I can't find it because I am dumb.
    EDIT: Never mind, turns out google is a better amazon search than amazon search.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    For those who like adventure games and Broken Sword, just noticed this gem. $2.49 for Broken Sword 1-3. Jump on it before the sales run out!

steam_sig.png
  • Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I know I'm like the last person on earth to get Bastion, but it's amazing and if you don't own it, get it while it's $5.09.

edit - I'm new to the PA Steam group. Add me on Steam if you need another buddy for games! Bunny1248

Chubby Bunny on
    Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    Hello there, new thread. Let's talk coupons.

-I have two coupons for $5 off anything on [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000728511[/url]this list[/url] of Amazon's best sellers. This equates to a bunch of games at $5 and GTAIV literally for free.
    -50% valve
    -25% GSC games
    -50% spacechem
    -50% F1 2011
    -50% space pirates and zombies
    -50% hitman collection
    -25% bethesda
    -50% X3 gold
    -50% nimbus
    -25% atari

If you're a reasonably active PA dude who's been around for a while you're welcome to any of these, just pm me or hit me up on steam.

steam_sig.png
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Slimcea wrote:
    Well kinda sad that the PA chat group seems to have been abandoned again once the sales end. Come on people, hang out in chat.

Where is the chat group?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    Beltaine wrote:
    Slimcea wrote:

Where is the chat group?

Double click on the Penny Arcade group in your Steam Friend's List to join the chat. Not many people around now though.

steam_sig.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Slimcea wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

Oh really? Sweet. I should fire it up again.

I mean just pressing the right damn buttons. I know what I need, but I'm still not sure why somethings happen when I press a button.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Vegan wrote:
    Klyka wrote:
    I'm still really sad by that one guy I gifted a game too not even saying ANYTHING to me about it. No "thanks", no "why?" not even a "fuck you I hate you". Just took the game and that was it.

I got my fair share of that, but that's okay, I'm not gifting for a pat on the head. My gift-spree was directed towards people who were on my list of people that I noticed were super classy, so they deserved a little something anyway.

Son of a bitch! I knew I forgot someone! I'm sorry @Vegan! I'm thanking you for your gift from Disneyworld! What is wrong with meeee?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Has anyone determined if coupons (which activate today) work on the games that are on sale from yesterday?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    So to sum up, this sale I was gifted E.Y.E., and brought Quake 4 at $5 and Serious Sam 3 at $20. I also have the following items/sundries if anyone's interested:
    - 1 33%-off Valve coupon
    - 1 25%-off Assassin's Creed: Revelations coupon
    - 2 extra lumps of coal (if there's any use for that stuff now)

This discussion has been closed.