As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kronus vs. the Image Dump (Page 8)

• acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    One of your best, without a doubt.

• KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Awesome, thanks guys, I've always wanted to do some Pokemon stuff. I'd like to do bit more if I can think of something good!

Here's my next WIP, I'm not big on mashups but I thought this one was appropriate:
    doomwip.png

EDIT: Just realized his front leg is a little messed, ignore that bit!

Kronus on
  • Tim-YatesTim-Yates Registered User regular
    These are really good! Each is creative and clean, could totally see these on a shirt that I would totally want to buy!

failhunter_banner2_by_timyates-d4jn83j.jpg
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    Such a great thread, loving the designs! (wish I had more to say, but that's the gist) :)

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I don't know how I stumbled into this thread, but I could easily lose hundreds of dollars on LOTR/star wars shirts if you guys somehow make these designs available.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Late to this thread but Kronus I'll buy a t-shirt or poster of that iron man helmet after the new year if you make one... just sayin'

are YOU on the beer list?
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I'm waiting to hear back from some shirt sites on about 4 or 5 things that I've posted lately (including the LOTR and Iron Man designs, also waiting to hear back from J!NX on the Death Star shirt) so fingers crossed! I plan on releasing the LOTR design as a poster fairly soon either way, and in the mean time I do have the Iron Man print available here. Every once in a while Society6 will have weeks with free shipping, I tell people to watch for those and save a few bucks if they're not in a rush :)

The stormtrooper shirt available on my RedBubble page, but I've been slacking a bit lately so a lot of my newer stuff hasn't made it up there yet. Hopefully I'll be able to put everything up on RedBubble within the next few weeks, as well as release a few new things as prints!

Until then, I'll be working on my portfolio to apply for design schools D: Applications are blechhh

Prime1wip.jpg
    Yuppppp, this again. Planning on printing off the trilogy and putting them on some Wii cases! (I know they were released on Gamecube, but technically MP1 and MP2 were updated for Wii in the Collector's Edition so I'm going with it :P)

Kronus on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Jesus Kronus, great design ideas are spilling out of your head at an epic rate of knots.
    Hated Doom, but I love that design.

Mustang on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Woah, cool kronus. DOOM was the first videogame I ever played (contrary to Mustang I loved that shit... being the first game I played though) and seeing it paired with my favorite game of all time fucking rocks!

edited January 2012
    Spent most of today updating this for my portfolio:

tvchuckwip.jpg

Decided to turn the shoe/gun on it's side because laying it flat was kinda boring compositionally. Does this read well, or is the shoe part no longer obvious? Also threw in a Burn Notice reference because it's an apt tagline for this season of Chuck, and I found it amusing.

EDIT: For reference, here's the old version
    326231_11934111_b.jpg

Kronus on
  • ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    I like this better, the only criticism is that the upturned gun has been used pretty often in other posters. But the new composition is also stronger so it can go either way.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hahaha, that one is a very silly idea

EDIT: I mean that in a good way!

Godfather on
    Great! Silly is good when it comes to Chuck!

I have been crazy busy this past week so I haven't gotten a chance to do any fun stuff. Here's a poster I've been working on for an upcoming event, though I still managed to keep it pop culture-related. I'd love some feedback!
    SuitUpwip.png

I am a little confused at the tagline! Please explain!

edited January 2012
    This is what we were going for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqf1BmN4Dag

Kronus on
    I am now familiar with that line after watching a few episodes of the show on FX. However, I think the joke will be lost on those reading the poster!

Godfather wrote:
    I am now familiar with that line after watching a few episodes of the show on FX. However, I think the joke will be lost on those reading the poster!

Yeah I considered the fact that the punchline will be lost on people, but I don't have the final stay so I left it as is. I think the logic was that while some people won't understand the reference at all, the ones who do will identify with it immediately which gives the poster much more oomph factor (doubly so, since we're calling the event 'Suit Up').

• ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    Might be able to link to the video with a QR code (do people even use those?) if it was really necessary.

edited February 2012
    Hey again!

I haven't accomplished much over the past few weeks, I've mostly been busy with school/work. Here's a thing I came up with this week, I'd like to try to get it printed on a shirt with metallic gold ink. Could use some crits/comments! :)

l1FEO.jpg

EDIT: Alternate arrangement:
    tumblr_lyydx8aFhR1qjb8xho1_1280.jpg

Kronus on
    edited February 2012
    Here's a new thing, trying to do NES Mario in Super Mario Galaxy style. I think I'm going to change the star into a castle, it could use more NES elements and less Galaxy elements. Thoughts?

RIA0R.jpg

Kronus on
  • NicNic Registered User regular
    The mario one is beautiful :'D
    Is that illustrator? (I imagine so...)

Also re: the Zelda one, what about Wand of Gamelon and the Faces of Evil and the one where you play as zelda on Phillips CDI? :O

Nic wrote:
    The mario one is beautiful :'D
    Is that illustrator? (I imagine so...)

Also re: the Zelda one, what about Wand of Gamelon and the Faces of Evil and the one where you play as zelda on Phillips CDI? :O
    Thanks! It's about 90% Illustrator, 10% Photoshop for the background stuff.

As for the Phillips CDI games, I'm just doing my part to make sure society forgets they ever existed ;)

Fair enough, re: Zelda.

As for this Mario piece, I love the cartoon quality it has, the arc effect on the blocks is a very nice touch, lending life to something that would otherwise seem rigid.

Here's a thing
    WallEMoviePostersmall.jpg

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    The execution is really lovely, but it's conceptually a little too cluttered for my tastes.

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    I think it could do without the smog/clouds and it would be a much cleaner (oh ho) design

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    I keep seeing an orangutan.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • bebarcebebarce Registered User regular

Don't put out to soon, he'll lose respect for you.

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    bebarce wrote:

Don't put out to soon, he'll lose respect for you.

Hahaha!

edited March 2012
    I now have much more time to do stuff, so here is some stuff!
    Y9ShR.jpg6ou12.jpg

I prefer the top ocarina, the bottom one is an alternate colour scheme for darker shirts. I love turquoise shirts but I'm not sure if that's a universal sentiment.

Kronus on
  • LenkaLenka Registered User new member
    The Drive poster is amazing. Epic movie, epic poster.

A quick concept! Posting it on a shirt to see the placement, trying to get it close to where a communicator badge would sit (in case it's too small, that's the Starfleet logo)

redshirt2.jpg

Yeah looking back the Wall-E poster is definitely cluttered. Honestly, I think I added them simply because I thought the foreground was a bit boring on its own so I tried to hide that with a busy background. Thanks for calling me out on that (but to be honest I'm too lazy to look at that thing anymore :P)

edited March 2012
    And this continues to be one of my favourite threads. I really dig the 'red shirt' setup. Very simple, yet almost instantly recognizable.

The Drive poster is great, but I'm not too keen on the Ocarina ones. Neither really jumps out at me. The clocks as the finger keys is a nice play, but as a design, it lacks something dynamic. You could almost simplify it further and have it be like one of those 70's book covers that were popular to do awhile back.

Edit: one suggestion perhaps instead of doing the federation badge inside the skull, do the skull inside the badge

something like this quick mock-up that would go where the badge would ordinarily go:

redshirt.png

Nic on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    I'd say I prefer Kronus' version. Taking advantage of negative space always makes for some nice designs. The whole thing should be a bit bigger though.

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    I think the use of the communicator as the skull's nose is clever and adds a lot to the design; I like Kronus' original, better, as well. Also not sure it should be bigger; he wants the communicator basically sitting where it does on a starfleet uniform and it'd get awkward any bigger, I'd think.

Nice design. If I was still more into Trek I think I'd want to own it.

header_image_sm.jpg
    edited March 2012
    squidbunny wrote: »
    Also not sure it should be bigger; he wants the communicator basically sitting where it does on a starfleet uniform and it'd get awkward any bigger, I'd think.

I think maybe he meant the communicator to be bigger, if that's the case then I agree. If you stylize the skull a bit more and mess with the proportions, you can even double up with cute points!

Now if you want to get crazy with it, you can have Shatner in a shakespearean (he used to be a Shakespeare Festival Actor here in Canada*) getup holding the skull, you could submit it to Threadless!

*Edit: the shakespeare thing is known to shatner fans and old Canadians mostly, this is a bad idea.

Nic on
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! I was trying to place it where the communicator would normally sit, but I'm thinking it's a bit too small right now (and there's no real way to make it bigger without wrapping over the shoulder). Here's another possibility:

87kCU.jpg

I rewatched season 3-6 of Lost in an effort to get ideas flowing, here's one thing that came out of the marathon:
    bNWFM.jpg

edited April 2012
    I churned out a couple of Doctor Who designs over the past week:

prmTC.jpg

pI5nV.jpg

On a slightly different note, I just received an admission email for a graphic design program I applied to for the fall! Starting this thread was my very first step along that path after being a lurker for many, many years. I thank everyone who has commented and given feedback over the past year or so, I really appreciate your advice and encouragement, and I certainly wouldn't be where I am without it.

Stay classy, PA:AC!

Kronus on