As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fantasy NBA Slow draft 2011 draft thread-Yup, slow

1789101113»

• tinyfisttinyfist Registered User regular
    Thanks! Will set a my rankings for tomorrow. Do I need to do anything else, or would that be enough to automatically pick for me when it rolls around to my turn?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    If you set rankings on the draft page, it will follow those until all the players you rank are gone, then revert to the default yahoo ranks. Yahoo appears to only publish their top 100 though, so it's hard to say what you'll get in our draft (aside from charlie villanueva, who is their #100 player for some goddamn dumb reason.)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    You can edit all the players not just the top 100.

The lowest rated player is Luke Babbitt.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    REMINDER: Draft is on in 30 minutes

How long do we get on the clock?

― Marcus Aurelius

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    90 seconds

also draft order is reversed this isn't ideal

• yotesyotes Registered User regular
    ^disregard that, cocks, sucking, etc.

Draft was the proper way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    yes yahoo surprisingly fixed itself hooray

I didn't get anyone I wanted except Jimmer.

― Marcus Aurelius

• jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    ALRIGHT, BUBBLE TEA!

The SMACKDOWN you are about to receive will alter your players' genetic code at a level that will echo in their forebears for eternity!

Apparently my team is the Sacramento Kings.

― Marcus Aurelius

• BergyBergy Registered User regular
    totally forgot to rank. i'm sure my team is shit.

ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • BergyBergy Registered User regular
    omg charlie v

i am going to puke

ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    Ah! I forgot, too. I have only 2 frontcourt players on my roster. Anyone need a point guard?

Picture1-4.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Bergy wrote:
    omg charlie v

i am going to puke

this was the best moment of the autodraft

NREqxl5.jpg
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    alright, just finished my auction draft - 10 team, standard categories (FG%, FT%, pts, reb, ast, 3pt, steals, blocks)

how'd I do?
    Westbrook $55 (was kinda just bidding someone up here)
    Eric Gordon $30
    Jrue Holiday $18
    David Lee $16
    Ibaka $18
    Kyle Lowry $15
    Greg Monroe $5
    Lamar Odom $11 (hated this pick as soon as I did it, got caught sleeping)
    Ray Felton $7
    JaVale McGee $9
    Andray Blatche $5
    Marcin Gortat $4 (love this one)
    Michael Beasley $7 (just using up my last dollars)

my biggest regret is taking Odom so I had to choose between Beasley and Dudley at end instead of getting both

also waited on studs early while other people bid them up high ($71 for Blake?) but then started spending on guys too early. Could've gotten better guys earlier and still picked up the Gortats late

ed: somehow Dudley went undrafted so should I drop Odom to grab him off waivers? or look to trade Odom and Felton for Nash

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    four point guards will be difficult to fit into a lineup, although I guess that depends what slots you have.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    can actually fit all 4 if i wanted to (PG/G/UTIL/UTIL) but mostly grabbed Felton because he was going $10 cheaper than he was listed and I'm not convinced Lowry/Holiday are both adequate

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    jackisreal wrote:
    ALRIGHT, BUBBLE TEA!

The SMACKDOWN you are about to receive will alter your players' genetic code at a level that will echo in their forebears for eternity!

I find myself in strident disagreement with your prognostication!

Also - there's a trade already? Of two guys who were picked in the slow-draft part? LOL

y2jake215 wrote:
    alright, just finished my auction draft - 10 team, standard categories (FG%, FT%, pts, reb, ast, 3pt, steals, blocks)

how'd I do?
    Westbrook $55 (was kinda just bidding someone up here)
    Eric Gordon $30
    Jrue Holiday $18
    David Lee $16
    Ibaka $18
    Kyle Lowry $15
    Greg Monroe $5
    Lamar Odom $11 (hated this pick as soon as I did it, got caught sleeping)
    Ray Felton $7
    JaVale McGee $9
    Andray Blatche $5
    Marcin Gortat $4 (love this one)
    Michael Beasley $7 (just using up my last dollars)

my biggest regret is taking Odom so I had to choose between Beasley and Dudley at end instead of getting both

also waited on studs early while other people bid them up high ($71 for Blake?) but then started spending on guys too early. Could've gotten better guys earlier and still picked up the Gortats late

ed: somehow Dudley went undrafted so should I drop Odom to grab him off waivers? or look to trade Odom and Felton for Nash

Monroe for $5 on a $200 budget is pretty dang good.

The only real weakness I see is you lack a superstar who can just go off and carry you for a week. It's not as important during the season, but it can be big in the playoffs.

The main issue I see with the trade is losing Felton's steals. You can probably absorb it though, since both Blatche and Monroe get you good steals from a usually non-stealing position. Felton's and Odom's FG% basically cancel each other out, and Nash is a good FG%er. With Westbrook you're probably tanking TO anyways, so Nash's high TO won't hurt you.

Losing Odom hurts rebounding based on last year's stats, but those are obviously when Odom was a Laker. I think DAL has better rebounding throughout the lineup, even without Chandler, than LAL. So I think Odom's boards come down a bit this year.

The other issue I see is having 3 Suns, which could hurt lineup flexibility. This is a lesser concern this season though, with the condensed schedule.

edited December 2011
    I know what you mean with the superstar thing - Russell Westbrook isn't quite that good. I'm trying to see what I can do in offering a David Lee/PG/Odom platter or something to try to grab a stud. A couple teams spent a ton early. One ended up with Lebron, Love, Nash, Ginobili and literally 9 $1 players. Hoping I can deal a lot of depth for a superstar and then pick up guys to fill the cracks (Marcus Thornton, Diaw, Dudley, Ryan Anderson are all available on the wire)

and fortunately, no one wanted to do turnovers, so I don't have to worry about those with Westbrook (or Nash, if I pursue him)

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    So after being dismayed that my Bismack Biyombo pick (who I probably could have snagged off of waivers anyhow) was endangered because of a buyout in the Spanish league, learned today that apparently he paid it and is good to go!

Yessss I feel infinitely less stupid now. Hopefully he's the next Serge Ibaka and not the next Hasheem Thabeet.

UnknownSaint on
    Good roll of the dice there.

― Marcus Aurelius

edited December 2011
    if I'm offered Lebron and Kevin Love for Westbrook, Gordon, Lee, and Ibaka, is that too much to give up?

probably, right?

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    It depends on who you can get to fill the other 2 roster spots you would then have open.

In a shallow league superstars are worth more, because you can find productive players on the wire. In deeper leagues depth is more valuable because the wire is junk.

So if guys like Thornton and Dudley are available on your WW, the actual trade (for you) is more like:

Get - Lebron, Love, Marcus Thornton, Jared Dudley
    Give - Gordon, Lee, Ibaka, Westbrook

In which case, I like that deal for you. You're getting the 2 best players in the trade, and are still able to add quality in the 2 roster spots you're emptying. If your WW was filled with DJ Mbengas that would be another story.

And I'm a big Thornton fan, and I can see him putting up numbers close to what EJ did last year. Last year Thornton did 21/5/3 with 2 stl and 2 3pm as a King. He should've been drafted.

So after being dismayed that my Bismack Biyombo pick (who I probably could have snagged off of waivers anyhow) was endangered because of a buyout in the Spanish league, learned today that apparently he paid it and is good to go!

Yessss I feel infinitely less stupid now. Hopefully he's the next Serge Ibaka and not the next Hasheem Thabeet.

I have a feeling Biyombo's going to lead the league in goaltends/minute, and possibly the most total.

edited December 2011
    BubbaT wrote:

I have a feeling Biyombo's going to lead the league in goaltends/minute, and possibly the most total.

I'll take it so long as he leads the league in blocks, too.

UnknownSaint on
    BubbaT wrote:

I'll take it so long as he leads the lead in blocks, too.

I think he can average something like 1.5 blocks in 18 minutes. He won't play much more than that because he'll be in foul trouble the whole season. Which, I guess, describes both rookie Ibaka and rookie Thabeet.

First big trade of the PA league, Steph Curry for Aldridge straight up. They got picked back-to-back so it's not a value shift either way, but it definitely made both teams better. I honestly would have lost rebounds every single week with my team as it is now

Picture1-4.png
    I didn't actually look at the makeup of the teams involved, but I absolutely would not have traded Curry for Aldridge. Kudos if it works for you, but I don't think I believe in LaMarcus Aldridge that much and Curry is already stupidly good & improving.

• clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    Hey Bubba,

Where did you grab the stats for filling out the slow draft spread sheet. I want to fill in the rest of my draft and see where I need improvement.

photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
    I already have Westbrook and Jennings so getting rid of Curry wasn't that big of a deal. Also, I really need a PF, since my only frontcourt guys are Nene and Channing Frye. My team had way too many guards and there were definitely going to be rotation problems.

Picture1-4.png
    edited December 2011
    clownfood wrote:
    Hey Bubba,

Where did you grab the stats for filling out the slow draft spread sheet. I want to fill in the rest of my draft and see where I need improvement.

The stats should be available most anywhere - NBA.com, ESPN, Yahoo.

But where I actually pull them from is http://basketballmonster.com

It's a site that ranks players. It looks at the size of your league and determines what an "average player" is for that league, then ranks every other player's value in terms of how they compare to the "average player". I don't remember the statistical term for the modeling used (standard deviation? variance?).

If you register (it's free), you can customize the settings that you want the site to rank players by. It's a pretty cool site, I've been using it for 3-4 years now.

Anyways, to fill out the spreadsheet just select the 10 categories the league uses, and then copy and paste each player from BBM onto the spreadsheet. You'll have to un-hide Columns B-D on the spreadsheet, and paste into Column B.

BubbaT on
    I hate my team already.

― Marcus Aurelius

But you've got D Wade!

edited December 2011
    I realized I have Tyreke and Tylaw as my assists guys.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• yotesyotes Registered User regular
    I got Curry's glass ankle. I don't like that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lamar Odom, rocking that 2 of 16 in two games FG%

hey guys, don't forget to cycle guys on and off your bench depending on who's playing

don't want my inevitable victory to feel hollow

Of course the minute I lose faith in Hickson he starts starting.

― Marcus Aurelius