As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's about that time again. Top Games of 2012.

DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does StuffYou Know, There. Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Games and Technology
Well. With an end to 2011 and an overall good year for gaming. I thought it time to look forward to what we have to expect in 2012. I know we say this every year, but from looking at 2012, it looks to be an even crazier year than '11 and with this console generation seemingly coming to an end in the next 2 or so years I have to say the fact that we're still getting games like this so far in is pretty awesome.

So. The topic is basically what we do every year. Your Top games of 2012? Things you're most looking forward to on the software/hardware side? Predictions?

Either way I guess I'll kick things off. I was going to post a video link to each of these games but honestly its so many I wouldn't know where to start. So, I'll just be stealing a video link from IGN showcasing some of the bigger titles and a list they provided. Along with some of my own awaited games.

This thread isn't just one about talking about the big games though, its about showing off what's coming out in 2012 and what people should be looking at. So, if you've been keeping an eye out for smaller titles that might not be getting a lot of attention this is the place to talk about them too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOBdLbrkFPM&feature=player_embedded

IGN's top games of 2012

-Mass Effect 3
-Hitman Absolution
-Ghost Recon Future Soldier
-Max Payne 3
-Tomb Raider
-Borderlands 2
-Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm
-Metal Gear Rising Revengence
-XCOM
-Ninja Gaiden 3
-Diablo 3
-The Last of Us
-Street Fighter x Tekken
-Final Fantasy XIII-2
-Tera
-Dota 2
-The Last Guardian
-GTA V
-Prey 2
-Counterstrike Global Offensive
-Resident Evil Raccoon City
-Prototype 2
-Bioshock Infinite
-Far Cry 3
-Halo 4
-Fable the Journey
-Twisted Metal

Dragkonias on

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Unsurprisingly, I don't agree with IGN's list at all. Not a single bingle one. The only ones that have a chance to be good, as far as I'm conserned, are Bioshock Infinite, Diablo II and Borderlands 2 but I would be very very surprised if I would call any of those game of the year.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    There is a good chance that, for much of 2012, I will play nothing but Mass Effect 3. Over and over.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to Far Cry 3. If they just fix the problems with Far Cry 2 (bugs mostly), it'll be the best game ever.

Then there's Mass Effect 3, but I'm on complete media blackout for that. It's just going to show up in my mailbox one day and I'll jump for joy.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    There's a lot of awesome stuff coming out, even in the first few months, but the most anticipated for me has to be SSX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fwBXN1Afec

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Unsurprisingly, I don't agree with IGN's list at all. Not a single bingle one. The only ones that have a chance to be good, as far as I'm conserned, are Bioshock Infinite, Diablo II and Borderlands 2 but I would be very very surprised if I would call any of those game of the year.
    Word, that list is a piece of shit.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    -Epic Mickey 2
    -Whatever Nintendo pulls out of its hat

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    So, I guess I'll go first(or second...third...etc, if someone else posts before I finish)

I will say my top games of 2012 are(in no real order)
    Mass Effect 3 - Because its Mass Effect...duh

Soul Calibur 5 - Because I love Soul Calibur

Bioshock Infinite - Because it looks awesome

Prototype 2 - Because though it needed a little work I greatly enjoyed the first one

Metal Gear Rising Revengence - Kojima + Platinum = Win as far as I'm concerned

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - A game that came out of nowhere for me but really caught my eye. Think Fable but with seemingly more in-depth combat and role-playing.

DOA 5 - T&A aside, I've always had a blast with this fighting game.

Prey 2 - I was pretty meh about the first one, but that concept trailer for the second one...wow...

Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena - Persona + Arc Sys = Win

Xenoblade - Proclaimed one of the best JRPGs last year and finally getting a US release

Tale of Graces - It took a while but we finally get another flagship title. The good version too.

Other games I'm looking at but not as hyped or:
    FFXIII-2 - Little wary after FFXIII but we'll see.

GTA5 - Well, its GTA. Though I'm not sure how I feel about it at this point. I still enjoy them.

Last of Us - Looks pretty good but I'm sick of zombies

Tomb Raider - Never played one before but the new one looks interesting.

Street Fighter X Tekken - Didn't care for SF4 that much but if this one is faster I might pick it up.

harvest wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Word, that list is a piece of shit.

Well. Instead of complaining about IGN's list. Talk about stuff you're looking forward too. That's the entire point of the thread.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Doesn't seem nearly as intense as 2011 to me. DX, Batman, Zelda, Witcher 2, Skyrim, Bastion, etc. The only things that really interest me (and that I will be able to play, system-wise) are Bioshock, Borderlands, wait-and-see on Tomb Raider and Hitman, and then Mass Effect which like Deadfall I will probably play forever.

And that's almost a relief because I'm still not nearly done with 2011 (and prior) games. Hopefully I'll can pack New Vegas and Skyrim away by March 6th.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:

I dunno man, Diablo II could be iffy. I bet no one will play that.

My list is kinda short right now, but I got:

MASS EFFECT 3
    Tomb Raider
    Kingdom of Amalur
    Max Payne 3
    THE LAST OF US
    The Last Guardian (hopefully)
    FarCry 3

I'm sure this list will grow a ton by mid-year.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Doesn't seem nearly as intense as 2011 to me. DX, Batman, Zelda, Witcher 2, Skyrim, Bastion, etc. The only things that really interest me (and that I will be able to play, system-wise) are Bioshock, Borderlands, wait-and-see on Tomb Raider and Hitman, and then Mass Effect which like Deadfall I will probably play forever.

And that's almost a relief because I'm still not nearly done with 2011 (and prior) games. Hopefully I'll can pack New Vegas and Skyrim away by March 6th.

Well, don't forget that there is probably a lot of stuff that hasn't even been announced yet. But for the start of the year that is pretty crazy.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    2 many games 2 list, but these are my top ones:

Borderlands 2
    Far Cry 2
    Torchlight 2
    Guild Wars 2

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    I think there's going to be Fire Emblem 3ds the Persona 4 games, Xenoblade, and Rune Factory 4 and that alone makes me pretty excited, moreso than 2011. Then Persona 5 will come out and it will be the best year ever : D

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The ones I'm most highly anticipating are Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3 and Bioshock Infinite.

I'll probably keep an eye on Max Payne, and Heart of the Swarm is intriguing.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Game of the Year will probably be Mass Effect 3 by most gamers/media. I've tried 1 but never really had the time to get into it, never tried 2. I should probably re-buy them to add to my backlog sometime.

For my personal Game of the Year it will probably be something from 2011 as I'm catching up with my aforementioned backlog - maybe Portal 2 if I ever get around to buying a copy, Rayman or LA Noire. Although I am really, really excited for Luigi's Mansion 2 and to see what else the 3DS has in store this year.

The prestigious "Game that gets the more hours logged" award will probably be the high def remake of Tony Hawk because I LOVED the old THPS games and can't wait to replay the old levels.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Pikmin 3.

Believe!

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Games I WILL get
    Max Payne 3 (Because Max Payne 1 and 2 are my favorite level based shooters of all time.
    GTA5(It's GTA)
    Guild Wars 2(A Triple A MMO with no subscription and awesome features? Yes please!)

Games I might get
    Tomb Raider
    Far cry 2
    Jagged Alliance:Back in Action (I love real time squad tactical games like DOW2 SP, and I liked JA2, even though it frustrated me to no end.)

Kadoken on
  • Options
    I can't help but wonder if Tokyo EAD is working on a Mario title for the Wii U's launch. Considering Mario Galaxy 2 dropped in mid-2010 that gives them just over two years to finish up development on it.

Hmm.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    Diablo III
    Guild Wars 2
    Mass Effect 3

I will get GTA5, but I thought Saints Row 3 was way better than GTA4.

SSX
    Borderlands 2
    and I'm really hoping FF XIII-2 is going to be great, but I have my doubts.

May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Games I'm looking forward to the most of 2012:

Xenoblade Chronicles
    Animal Crossing 3DS
    Kid Icarus: Uprising
    Luigi's Mansion 2
    Paper Mario 3DS
    Zone of the Enders HD Collection
    Mario Party 9

WiiU!!!!
    Pikmin 3: I'm pretty sure it'll be a WiiU launch title at this point.

Yea, Nintendo has me the most excited this coming year apparently. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Namel3ss wrote:
    Diablo III
    Guild Wars 2
    Mass Effect 3

I will get GTA5, but I thought Saints Row 3 was way better than GTA4.

SSX
    Borderlands 2
    and I'm really hoping FF XIII-2 is going to be great, but I have my doubts.

SR3 released 3 years after GTAIV; it should be better. Comparing GTAIV to SR2 would be more appropriate.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Max Payne looks good.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Last Guardian -- this is definitely near the top.
    Diablo III
    Tomb Raider -- used to be a big TR fan, kinda have to buy it just because
    Microsoft Flight

(<_<) .. (>_>)
    HL3

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

Xenoblade Chronicles
    Animal Crossing 3DS
    Luigi's Mansion 2
    Paper Mario 3DS
    Mario Party 9

WiiU!!!!

Agreed. I hate to be a fanboy, but the only games I really loved this year were Nintendo games... and Portal 2. Since there's no Portal 3 coming up, I'm excited about Xenoblade, Luigi's Mansion 2, Paper Mario 3D, and whatever Nintendo pulls out of nowhere for the end of the year.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    The Hitman series had always been one that has kinda passed me by but after seeing the E3 demo for Absolution my anticipation levels pretty much instantly went from mildly intrigued to holy fucking shit get in my face now
    Dirtyboy wrote:
    2 many games 2 list, but these are my top ones:

Borderlands 2
    Far Cry 2
    Torchlight 2
    Guild Wars 2

Sorry to break your pattern but it's actually Far Cry 3

teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

Xenoblade Chronicles
    Animal Crossing 3DS
    Luigi's Mansion 2
    Paper Mario 3DS
    Mario Party 9

WiiU!!!!

Agreed. I hate to be a fanboy, but the only games I really loved this year were Nintendo games... and Portal 2. Since there's no Portal 3 coming up, I'm excited about Xenoblade, Luigi's Mansion 2, Paper Mario 3D, and whatever Nintendo pulls out of nowhere for the end of the year.

You can like Nintendo without being a fanboy, right?

The rest of the industry is so afraid of vibrant colors, and Nintendo seems to be the antithesis of that.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    The best game will be Half Life 2 - Episode 3

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Whatever Double Fine are working on.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    the only game I'm really hyped for atm is Mass Effect 3.

pretty interested in:
    fez
    alan wake xbla
    penny arcade 3

other games I'm somewhat interested in:
    torchlight 2
    epic mickey 2
    that new tomb raider
    max payne 3
    the arg to announce half-life 3

after all is said and done, my goty will likely be what it has been the last few years - a random amazing indie game that appeared out of nowhere

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Bioshock Infinite

Alan Wake's American Wasteland

Done.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    redxxiiredxxii Persona Non Grata Registered User regular
    Diablo III

There are a ton of other games I'm looking forward to, but none of the matter in the face of D3. It is the alpha and the omega...

LoL: Handweasel
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    The best game will be Half Life 2 - Episode 3

"Baby, why you gotta make me hit you cry?" :-(

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I'm pretty hyped for most of ign's list + asura's wrath the most

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Here's my list. Wouldn't be surprised if a few of these get delayed and don't make it in 2012 (cough, Last Guardian).

Rainslick Precipice of Darkness episode 3
    Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
    Whatever Carpe Fulgur localizes
    Sound Shapes
    Bioshock Infinite
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Diablo 3
    Tomb Raider reboot
    Last Guardian
    Grim Dawn
    Desktop Dungeons
    Ni no Kuni
    Fez
    Gravity Daze

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    I'm excited for new IPs. Oh wait....

Seriously though, Dota 2 and the new Kings Bounty game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Last Guardian of course... Team ICO is basically the Pixar of video games.

Ni no Kuni... if it gets a western release. Come on, a Ghibli RPG? Can it get better?

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Mass effect 3
    Hitman 5
    Max payne 3
    Diablo 3
    Prey 2

Most important gaming news of the year will be valve announcing HL3 since itll be five fucking years by october and i cant picture them not announcing it by then unless they want to alienate fans.

• Options
    SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    Mine is (in order of most excited to least excited):

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (too many all stars involved to not like it. Plus, everything about it screams awesome!)
    Guild Wars 2 (going to quit TOR for it)
    Diablo 3 (It's Blizzard and they make games I am interested in)
    Bioshock Infinite (Wasn't a fan of the previos titles but this one has me interested for some reason).

With all of this said, I cannot stress enough about how much I look forward to KOA:R. Only about a month away!

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'll be the odd man out and admit I'm not too crazy about Blizzard's recent output; Diablo III just doesn't look like it does anything particularly interesting.

Bioshock Infinite and The Last Guardian top my list, and I'm cautiously interested in Mass Effect 3 (sure, it's the sequel to ME2, but it's from the guys who made the sequel to DA, so it could be anywhere on the quality spectrum, really), the new Tomb Raider, and maybe the Last of Us, depending on how good the writing and characters really are.

Darlan on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Here's my list. Wouldn't be surprised if a few of these get delayed and don't make it in 2012 (cough, Last Guardian).

Rainslick Precipice of Darkness episode 3
    Precipice of Darkness Ep 3 delay to 2013 confirmed. Sending this to Kotaku now because I'm an investigative games journalist for hire on the STREETS.

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I would be looking forward to Mass Effect 3, but after the cluster fuck that was Dragon Age 2 I am more than a bit apprehensive. Also, if the leaked plot is actually credible then I know for a fact I'm going to hate it.

As for stuff to look forward to, I'll give a mention to Lollipop Chainsaw since it looks sweet. Also, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance if it comes out this year. Lastly, DmC since it might be... HA HA HA HA HA! Oh man. I actually almost finished that sentence.

Oh yeah. I guess Darksiders 2 though I'm not crazy about Death and the whole prequel thing.

Shady3011 on