As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unlurkin' and looking for some advice

CrabomancerCrabomancer Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Artist's Corner
Quick Intro: I've been a fan of PA for over 7 years now, and been lurking the AC off and on for probably more than 2 (the shame, I know). Trying to get back into drawing, so hopefully this turns into a showcase thread in the near future.

For right now, I'm working on a surprise for a friend. She really loved Mass Effect 2 and some day wants to cosplay as Miranda. That said, I'm attempting to draw her doing so. I really want this to come out right, so any critiques at all are very welcome. Here is the base sketch that I laid out this morning at work.

mirandah.jpg

I could definitely use some help with anatomy and perspective. The resemblance part is the biggest hurdle though, but I don't want to post a reference pic. If one or two of you fabulous arters out there want help me nail down the face, send me a PM so we can work out a more private way to do so.

I appreciate the help, and I'll keep this thread updated!

e: Sorry about the quality, took it with my phone since my scanner was ruined in the recent move.

Crabomancer on

• Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Yeah the knees are set too high, if you were to animate her she would have the same goofy gate as Jar Jar.

One thing you need to try to consider is weight distribution, at the moment there isn't much of a relationship between what the torso and the legs are doing. Were it real life she would probably stumble forward slightly trying to hold that position. Keep in the mind that gravity is always trying to pull us to the ground and it is only the resistance of our muscles that prevents it.

If you ever feel really stuck on a pose try having someone take a photo of you in a similar pose so you have a reference.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice mates. I always struggle with weight distribution. I didn't even notice that it was off until you said something. Now I can't see how I missed it.

Ken: can you elaborate a bit on what you mean about making it more dynamic by bending at the waist. I will try out some different poses tonight or tomorrow morning. The legs in general are quite off now that you guys mention it.

• Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Once again, I apologize for the image quality, but 'tis the best I can do from work.

chairpose.jpg
    Decided to try something new and a lot less stiff. I've noticed some major issues between taking the pic and posting it here, but it's just a test piping anyway. Thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Also, I did a few other poses, but due to uploading method, I just picked this one. I might post the others when I get off work later.

e: Some other stuff I doodled in my downtime
    2handstand.jpg
    cubone.jpg
    paperpirate.jpg

Crabomancer on
  • Options
    BrainPaintBrainPaint Registered User regular
    If you are dead set on changing her position to one of your newer sketches I would pick the sitting pose. Since this is for a friend I imagine you want to show off that it is her as Miranda instead of having a gun covering her face. I think it is a better pose than the bottom one, but as a fan of Mass Effect I think that Miranda would have a more battle ready pose like your original design instead of the more classic feminine pose that you are working with now. All that being said, the proportions are pretty solid in terms of length, but the female shoulders are not as broad as what you have drawn and the hips are wider. She does look a lot less stiff, but her legs need some work. I'm not really getting a sense of the form of her right thigh because her left thigh is laying across it too flat. If she was sitting in the chair her right knee would be higher and more of her thigh would be foreshortened. Keep going! :D