As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The King of All Media, Howard Stern - (assume NSFW) - Back for 2012!

2»

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    How about some Stripper Game? This shit is -great-.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlZZ5h6ryfQ

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    see I listened to the first five minutes before I got hopelessly annoyed

what's compelling about that

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I like listening to people shoot the shit, focused or not.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    Who tried to force who's hand here?

Um, Conan did, or are you forgetting how he got The Tonight Show in the first place?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    So its unfair to blame Leno for much of anything but totally fine to blame Conan for another awful decision on NBC's part?
    His contract was going to end, the only reason he would want to stay with NBC was if he could get the Tonight Show.
    I guess you could say its greedy to simply ask for something you've always wanted, but for NBC to actually do it? and for Leno to agree or at least go along with everything? Guess it's all Conan's fault.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    How dare Conan want to expand his career.

I did some dressing up of the OP. I may add some info on the wack pack into it, if needed. I just wanted to cover the basic people behind the show though. I was going to include Scott, kchh, but I forgot.

Writing the info for Benjy just reminded me of how much I'm frustrated with him lately. I'd prefer Jackie's bullshit to Benjy, at this point.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Henroid wrote:
    I did some dressing up of the OP. I may add some info on the wack pack into it, if needed. I just wanted to cover the basic people behind the show though. I was going to include Scott, kchh, but I forgot.

Writing the info for Benjy just reminded me of how much I'm frustrated with him lately. I'd prefer Jackie's bullshit to Benjy, at this point.

Benjy is taking a super strong turn towards Kaufman territory right now, but I seriously don't think he has the chops to pull it off.

It's possible he ends up outside the studio if he keeps going nuts for attention like he has been; this girl has not been good for him.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    It's like I've been saying, he's got a mix of Jackie and Stuttering John going on right now. He thinks he's being funny or actually thinks his stupid song is actually going somewhere. All in all though, this did start when he started dating this chick (or, I should say when she started dating him). I wouldn't put it into Kaufman territory. Kinda disgraces the name.

Here's another segment, built around Jackie's business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDsEs6OwAY4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mu7YC3zQpM

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I wasn't comparing him to Kaufman - I was saying he was going into " fully immersive, gonzo schtick in which reality and the bit are thoroughly blurred" which is Kaufman's turf. He just isn't pulling it off in any fashion that speaks of genius. He's fucking annoying and awful.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Listening to Best of the Week, and it's on the segment that lead to the big AGT news. But currently on Sal's phony phone call to a cab service as Santa. It's kinda funny how these guys have ZERO sense of humor about a guy pretending to be Santa on the phone; if they'd played along the call wouldn't have gone anywhere great.

"Ah yes, I need a car."
    "Okay where you at?"
    "WHY I'M AT THE NORTH POLE, HO HO HO"
    "HEY, SIT ON MY NORTH POLE."

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    So its unfair to blame Leno for much of anything but totally fine to blame Conan for another awful decision on NBC's part?
    His contract was going to end, the only reason he would want to stay with NBC was if he could get the Tonight Show.
    I guess you could say its greedy to simply ask for something you've always wanted, but for NBC to actually do it? and for Leno to agree or at least go along with everything? Guess it's all Conan's fault.

Well, yeah, actually - that's what sort of happens when you try to force someone's hand. Conan's problem was that by pushing the takeover of The Tonight Show, it ultimately set him up with high expectations from the brass, along with a less than charitable outlook from said brass. In that situation, he had to deliver - and sadly, he didn't. As for Leno, what could he have done? Again, you're assuming that Leno could have forced Zucker's hand regarding Conan, but he had no leverage either.
    Henroid wrote:
    How dare Conan want to expand his career.

As the saying goes, when you ride the bull, sometimes you get the horns. Conan made a power play with his contract to get The Tonight Show, and it blew up in his face. I don't see how he shouldn't share in the blame.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Since the holiday season started have they played Artie singing "Mootzarelle Balls"? I hadn't heard it yet, but I don't get the opportunity to listen to every show completely anymore. Also waiting for "Feliz Gravitas" :)

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    They've definitely busted out the holiday songs but they haven't played those two on the station yet. During the show this week they did play Big Foot 'singing' some songs though. I really hate that guy.

By the way this coming week (and maybe over the next two) the specials they're running are SNL stories / guests that have been on the Stern Show over the last three decades. Darryl Hammond's interview from this year might get played, and y'know... that's gonna be depressing to hear again.

Speaking of though, Dr. Phil was going to have Darryl Hammond on and apparently was planning on reading Darryl's own book to him. That's fucked up.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I heard his interview about the book on NPR. And yeah it makes you want to cut yourself. He was crying during the interview just trying to talk about the stuff that happened to him in the past.

steam_sig.png
    I heard his interview about the book on NPR. And yeah it makes you want to cut yourself. He was crying during the interview just trying to talk about the stuff that happened to him in the past.

I don't remember him losing his composure on the Stern Show, oddly enough. And I didn't hear his interview on NPR (though, I never listen to NPR, that's my fault). It was a really unexpected revelation, but I guess I don't know the guy personally so it's not as though I'd see any sort of signs that he had a shitty upbringing.

SNL special is running, giving it a listen right now. Sarah Silverman interview for the moment. I'm not sure I like her much, as a comedian.

• Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    Cute girl says nasty shit is an... interesting schtick. I haven't heard a lot of her stuff, but I also haven't heard anything smart.

Ah, the segments for this special are REALLY quick!

edited December 2011
    Oh man, Robert Downey Jr. interview. And he sought being on the show too. Funny thing is, I remember Stern use to be hard on RDJ when he was going through his, ah, problems.

Edit - Phil Hartman, oh noooooooooooo D:

Henroid on
    One of my favorite moments was when they started goofing on Stuttering John when The Jay Leno Show was becoming a thing. Poor fucker got bumped down from announcer to 'writer.' And he's still in that position. I mean sure he has a job on the Tonight Show and all, but all John cared about was exposure. And he doesn't have it as much now, that putz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_HUTTF_kcs

Fred is on fire in this clip. Also I went to John's wiki page and couldn't help but notice this:
    He accepted the offer, debuting on The Tonight Show on March 29, 2004.[9] On the show, he was identified as simply "John Melendez" (as opposed to "Stuttering John," which he was "not allowed" to be called). John held up a coffee mug on camera.[citation needed]

Was listening to the Stern Show Shuffle just now (it's a show that plays varying clips from the show, from its entire history). This one had a theme of Christmas events. So in 2007, the crew had a Secret Santa event for the show staff, and this includes interns working on the radio show AND the TV production. So pretty much everyone pretty much was a great gift-giver. Artie got a group dinner party with what I think was a baseball team he was really into, which was probably the most trickiest arranged gift but the most awesome. Sal got a DVD from one of the background guys, but he didn't flip out like he's usually capable of, probably because he's smart enough to not be the guy who bitches about getting something for free.

So, they cover the gift Fred was getting for his santee, and it was $500 in cash in a small Hallmark bag. Now, he didn't get anything specific, but $500 isn't anything to spit at and he had it ready there in the building. So, still kinda cool. Then they wonder what Benjy got his Santee. Benjy says he has to get it to the guy after the show. There's a brief moment of curiosity that maybe it's some pretty grand gift. But then it turns out Benjy needed to go to an ATM to get some cash out. He mostly got chewed out for not having it there, since there was plenty of time, but also he said he was going to make the guy come with him. For an errand. Some gift right? The other problem, which nobody seemed to nail him on, was that he didn't specify how much money he had in mind, but I'm sure after Fred's gift he felt like he'd be a shithead. It probably wouldn't have been a big issue until Benjy decided to shout "FUCK YOU!" at everyone being critical, which resulted in a unison "No, fuck YOU" from everyone with a mic / present.

Now I feel like I have more reason to not like Benjy; he's an inconsiderate jerk.

The show is back on after holiday break!

Am I a bad person for laughing at Dick Clark struggling to speak coherently?

• InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    nah, Ronnie's even more disabled and I'm constantly laughing at that moron.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited January 2012
    nah, Ronnie's even more disabled and I'm constantly laughing at that moron.

"WHAT ABOUT ME? WHAT ABOUT MY SHOW?"

Ronnie can't take a joke or ribbing, but sure loves to give it out. "WHADDYA TALKIN' ABOUT?"

Edit - Oh man, Jackie was at the party? I missed this when listening to the show earlier. That poor fucker.

Henroid on
    Anyone familiar with Riley Martin?

He's got a show on Howard 101 about aliens and the fate of the world, is apparently a contact for the aliens, etc. He used to (or may still) sell 'symbols' for people so that when it's time for the mothership to come, they have a boarding pass. For a while now, he gets a TON of prank callers into his show, and he's all pissed off about the money he gets, etc.

Apparently he was on the show today. Just now listening.

edited January 2012
    I will give someone $5 if they track down the song they played on the Stern Show today comprised almost entirely of Seth Rogen clips. Holy shit was that great.

Edit - Found it. Super NSFW for language content. The direct link here goes to 10:38 (or it should) which is when the lead-up talk to the song starts. For just the song itself, go to 11:12. It also features Will the Farter (don't ask... <_< ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aheCC-HhrkI#t=638s

Henroid on
    I hate to drudge up this thread and have it quad-posted in a row by me, but this is rather substantial.

Howard Stern on AGT is on its second week on the air now, with the pre-taped auditions. And so far it's been a hit. Plus Stern is getting a lot of positive attention for it now, with people changing their perceptions of a guy they assumed was only capable of burping and having strippers in the studio. Which he still does, but the point is that's not all he does and it's not a measure of intellect. But anyway, this happened on last night's airing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw3pn9As_lM

That was pretty cool of him. (Despite what you see in the video the judges didn't like the kid's performance all around, it wasn't just Howard)

In Stern Show news George Takei is in studio this week to fulfill his announcer job and is delightful as always. Also fuck Benjy, just because.