As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] Tanks like spanking.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of flamethrowers, Cademimu 2nd boss tip for tanks:
    I'm about 95% sure his flamethrower sets his tiny adds on fire. Every time they spawned I'd run around the boss a bit to jiggle his flamethrower direction to cover all of his adds, who would immediately catch on fire and die.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    Can someone link a good tanking jugg build? Just started an alt and I am sorta lost on what is good and not good in the talent tree.

• JadedJaded Registered User regular
    Khaczor wrote:
    Can someone link a good tanking jugg build? Just started an alt and I am sorta lost on what is good and not good in the talent tree.

Would also really love this. Level 24 juggs.

I can't think of anything clever.
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Is there a "Tanking for Dummies" guide posted somewhere? Like tactics and whatnot? I'm a Powertech, and this is my first MMO, so I'm kind of lost as to what I'm supposed to be doing. Obviously, I'm trying to get bad dudes to attack me instead of other folks, but other than that...I'm am completely hopeless.

Any help would be appreciated.

steam_sig.png
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Powertech/Vanguard is really easy. Always try to keep your heat under 40 for the quickest regen, and follow this general priority:

Rocket Punch
    Rail Shot
    Flame Thrower
    Tracer Dart
    Flame Burst

Flame Burst generally only if you're going empty your heat bar before the higher priority abilities pop back up, otherwise Rapid Shots in between.

Shield Spec adds Heat Blast after Rail Shot. Adv Prototype, you keep the Gut debuff on your target and use Immolate on cooldown. Pyrotech, you don't use tracer dart anymore (except for AoE) and instead use Thermal Detonator and spam Flame Burst for Rail Shot procs.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Here is some general tank stuff.

As a tank, you will frequently find yourself leading the group. Now, strong leadership isn't a requirement, but due to the nature of the role it's sort of expected that the tank lead if nobody else does.

Being a tank is all about being aware. You have to know where the other mobs are, what is being controlled, how your healer is doing and so on. Before pulling, check out your opposition. TOR is pretty generous with information, so you can tell what CC mobs are immune to and what buffs they have. If one mob has an armor-reducing melee proc, then CC it first and take out the potentially less threatening ones first. Check you healer's resources. If he or she is getting low, encourage them to let their regen improve a bit and pop a defensive cooldown along with a medpac/adrendal. Use stuns or line of sight to buy yourself a few more seconds. This can help your healer catch-up after scary moments, and is the difference between a smooth encounter and a rougher one.

YL9WnCY.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I really want them to fix party frames so I can actually see if that Sage has enough energy or not so I can pull something.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Holy shit the last boss for the jedi knight story is the most bullshitting bullshit that ever bullshit. I swear if anyone elses final chapter guy is that nasty I'd be surprised. Now its not so awesome I'm the only 50 on my server.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Echo wrote:
    I really want them to fix party frames so I can actually see if that Sage has enough energy or not so I can pull something.
    I found that Ops frames work fine in parties if you don't mind making that switch.

YL9WnCY.png
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Jaded wrote:
    Khaczor wrote:

Would also really love this. Level 24 juggs.

Level 24: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101dMGzu.1

Level 50: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101dMGcubrouRZhGM.1

Keep going in the tank tree first so you get crushing blow at 40. Tanking on this AC sucks until 30(AoE taunt), and 32(Cyclone slash for Guardian, not sure the name for you). That's the point where you can just Smash and then cyclone slash on AoE and hold agro. Until then, AoE threat is just a great deal of tab targeting and single target taunting. It is totally worth it though, because once you hit 40 and have Saber throw and the capstone talent, you become a monster and it's great fun.

edited January 2012
    Some talents are just poorly thought-out.

I have a +15% chance for Dark Charge to proc. Dark Charge already has a 50% chance to proc, but the real killer is that Dark Charge is pretty much ass so far as the proc is concerned (it gives tons of armor and threat). It hits for 30ish at level 40 and heals for about the same. When you and your enemies are packing 10k HP, that is a drop in the bucket.

This is different from the talent right next to it that increases the damage of my lightsaber charges by 15%. Obviously that is shit for Dark Charge, but it includes the OTHER charges I have. That makes it an appealing choice for dps specs with some points to burn. But that first talent I mention is ONLY Dark Charge. I still am very much against talents that serve no purpose except for off-spec points, but at least that would make the talent a potential choice for SOMEONE.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, now that I've switched to playing a Guardian, their talent trees are generally a whole lot better than Shadows/Assassins.

Eh, Assassin is working for me. I just find certain talents to be of questionable value.

The good news is that you don't have to grab any crap talents when making a tank build.

YL9WnCY.png
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    When all does the Sith Assassin come into a good Tanking setup? So far I'm feeling a lot like I'm bringing a saber to a blaster fight.

Or am I just supposed to have my party wait while I stealth up and open with Dark Charge>Discharge and Maul?

• KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I tanked the mandalorian flashpoint and had a terrible time keeping aggro as an immortal juggernaut.

I am under the impression that at level 30 things are forgiven and I am allowed to have aggro?

Kharnastus on
    Lacerate makes things easier as an Assassin, but really your party should either dps one target at a time or aoe so much that holding threat shouldn't matter.

YL9WnCY.png
    Kharnastus wrote:
    I tanked the mandalorian flashpoint and had a terrible time keeping aggro as an immortal juggernaut.

I am under the impression that at level 30 things are forgiven and I am allowed to have aggro?

At 30 you get AoE taunt on a 45 second CD and at 32 you get whatever your version of Cyclone Slash is called, which is basically slash(costs 3 focus) and hits 5 targets, so yeah, AoE becomes easy then, but not until then. Mandalorian Raiders and Cademimu(depending on what level you do it) were the last 2 flashpoints where I felt I didn't have the tools I needed on my Guardian tank. After that, it's just easy peasy, and becomes insanely fun at 36(saber throw) and 40(Guardian Slash capstone talent).

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Is it me, or do animal/dog type mobs often have retargetting abilities? Many of those spawns often go in ways you would not expect.

Also, this is a game mechanics spoiler only for the second boss of The Maelstrom. If you do not read this, chances are you will wipe:
    When he says 'Is charging his eye weapon' You Hide behind the boxes. Everyone needs to do this. He starts dishing out 3k damage shots to anyone he can see. It takes 30 seconds but he will snap out of this mode.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    I'm confused about the Boss Rancor in Karagga's Palace.

Last night we determined he was completely un-tankable and would just randomly chase someone.

The videos I've seen however show him being nearly just a tank and spank with an add phase.

Looks like a totally cake fight, but ours was just being fucking weird and didn't have much time to see if it was bugged or something.

Hard mode EV is indeed a DPS check. First boss I tanked fine with no healer having any issues, but the enrage happened when we had him to 30% or so. Even if one of our healers swapped to DPS we wouldn't have covered what we were missing before enrage. This is good I guess as its not a joke to just jump into that hard mode, but its kind of annoying as the normal mode bosses are pillow fights.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Tried vigilance for a change of pace, couldn't switch back to defensive fast enough. Not having all my stuns available for elites/adds and being more squishy murdered me in correlia. I could see it being decent for group play, but soloing even with doc out and in heal mode, it was hella weak sauce.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Eh, Assassin is working for me. I just find certain talents to be of questionable value.

I'm enjoying my Assassin tank as well. And it looks we were both of the opinion of "Well.. all social armor is light armor.. tanking slave girl for the win". Tho I will have to try tanking as a sand person as well at some point.

I just wish Overload was a knockdown instead of knockback. That would help tremedously in the lower levels. Do we get another AoE ability some time after 25?

You should have Discharge which is an AoE when Dark Charge is active.

Lacerate in your 30s.

Then Wither at 40.

YL9WnCY.png
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    You should have Discharge which is an AoE when Dark Charge is active.

Lacerate in your 30s.

Then Wither at 40.

Gotcha, looking forward to the 30s then. Discharge is solid, but it it only does so much against holding agro for zealous Mercs.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote:
    Is it me, or do animal/dog type mobs often have retargetting abilities? Many of those spawns often go in ways you would not expect.

Specific animals yes:
    In Mandalorian Raiders the dogs of the first boss are untauntable, which isn't so much a retargetting ability as it is a "Goddamnit DPS, watch your AOE or I can't pull them off you".

In Taral V, the first boss' hounds just randomly change aggro as they are dicks.

Characters
    DPS pulling aggro like morons is what dps does though. Its like the sun rising in the morning a dps person will always break cc and dps the mob furthest from the tank. I swear to god its in one of their tool tips in every game ever.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote:
    Tried vigilance for a change of pace, couldn't switch back to defensive fast enough. Not having all my stuns available for elites/adds and being more squishy murdered me in correlia. I could see it being decent for group play, but soloing even with doc out and in heal mode, it was hella weak sauce.

I did the same thing, and pretty much had the same reaction, and that's even with my questing being done with my wife who is a sage healer. The increase in DPS I got from the talents and using Shien form was just not enough to make it fast enough and the loss in general survivability/control was so jarring. Not having stun and not having non channeled force stasis is a non-starter for me. Not to mention the strength of Vigilance is the DoT on Plasma Brand and the other DoTs, which are a huge waste on standard/strong mobs that die so fast.

I'll probably toy with it at 50 when one of my buddies wants to tank HM FPs and I need to swap DPS instead of tanking, but that's it.

Joshmvii wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

I did the same thing, and pretty much had the same reaction, and that's even with my questing being done with my wife who is a sage healer. The increase in DPS I got from the talents and using Shien form was just not enough to make it fast enough and the loss in general survivability/control was so jarring. Not having stun and not having non channeled force stasis is a non-starter for me. Not to mention the strength of Vigilance is the DoT on Plasma Brand and the other DoTs, which are a huge waste on standard/strong mobs that die so fast.

I'll probably toy with it at 50 when one of my buddies wants to tank HM FPs and I need to swap DPS instead of tanking, but that's it.

I wondered since you have your wife to heal you and I just had doc, but I ran across pretty much the same issue. On regulars they died to fast for the dots to do much, and then on elites they seemed to slip me better and I didn't have enough focus for my big damagers to out hit them.

Not to mention the vengeance build tended to be more at a loss to handle extras (pats, or hell just entering a room and not being able to charge or saber throw). I see vengeance being a decent single target dps group build and not much else.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    What Vengenace build are we talking about, because my understanding was that you went in it and got the Force Leap bonus and that was mostly it (12 points total)?

Because the thought of a tanking build that uses anything other than Soresu just seems silly.

Characters
    edited January 2012
    I'm so close to 20k HP now.
    This lightsaber that dropped was weird, called [Justice] and it said forbidded to dark 1 and above. I still was able to equip it and then it said forbidden to light. A pleasant surprise though that it swapped like that, but weird all the same.
    My keybinds might look really weird as they repeat numbers, but its actually the numpad numbers that are bound to my 12 extra mouse buttons.
    beefy.png

We managed to clear EV normal very quick today, I think it was 3 tries on last boss. One time was total bullshit though, he had 9k HP left and I had him right under a pillar and the thing didnt break his shield.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote:
    This lightsaber that dropped was weird, called [Justice] and it said forbidded to dark 1 and above. I still was able to equip it and then it said forbidden to light. A pleasant surprise though that it swapped like that, but weird all the same.
    beefy.png

We managed to clear EV normal very quick today, I think it was 3 tries on last boss. One time was total bullshit though, he had 9k HP left and I had him right under a pillar and the thing didnt break his shield.

http://www.torhead.com/item/dc8uAf5 ?

Justice
    Binds on Pickup
    Melee Main Hand
    278.0-417.0 Energy Damage (Rating 126)
    Durability: 200/200
    Total Stats:
    +76 Power
    +81 Strength
    +101 Endurance
    +42 Accuracy Rating
    Item Modifications
    Color Crystal (48)
    +31 Power
    Hilt (52)
    +42 Strength
    +45 Endurance
    Mod (52)
    +39 Strength
    +23 Endurance
    +29 Power
    Enhancement (52)
    +33 Endurance
    +42 Accuracy Rating
    +16 Power
    Augment: Open
    Requires Level 50
    Requires Weapon Proficiency: Lightsaber

edited January 2012
    Houn wrote:
    Badwrong wrote:
    beefy.png

http://www.torhead.com/item/dc8uAf5 ?
    Justice
    Binds on Pickup
    Melee Main Hand
    278.0-417.0 Energy Damage (Rating 126)
    Durability: 200/200
    Total Stats:
    +76 Power
    +81 Strength
    +101 Endurance
    +42 Accuracy Rating
    Item Modifications
    Color Crystal (48)
    +31 Power
    Hilt (52)
    +42 Strength
    +45 Endurance
    Mod (52)
    +39 Strength
    +23 Endurance
    +29 Power
    Enhancement (52)
    +33 Endurance
    +42 Accuracy Rating
    +16 Power
    Augment: Open
    Requires Level 50
    Requires Weapon Proficiency: Lightsaber

That has to be old info you linked, because the max damage on mine is 429... and the other stats are different from the default mods it came with.

The mod and enhancement I replaced with tank ones that were better.

And ya, when you loot it the thing says "forbidden to dark 1 or higher". Really silly cause equipping swaps that to forbidden to light 1 and higher.

This is also before I changed color crystals, I realize that all I had to do was swap crystals. But before that I just was able to equip it... very odd.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited January 2012
    Aegis wrote:
    What Vengenace build are we talking about, because my understanding was that you went in it and got the Force Leap bonus and that was mostly it (12 points total)?

Because the thought of a tanking build that uses anything other than Soresu just seems silly.

The Vigilance(Vengeance for imp) build we were talking about was for DPS. As in Preacher and I both tried out a Vig dps spec to change the pace up, and both swapped back to our defense specs in a hurry.

There's actually a tank spec that uses Soresu but goes deeper into Vig to get not only the leap bonus but also the one that makes Guardian leap apply its effect to you as well, that basically relies on leaping on, guardian leaping to an ally and back in to get the dmg reduction, and just losing out on the deep stuff in the defense tree, but I have no interest in doing so. Guardian Slash is just too fucking awesome for me to pass up in my tank spec.

Joshmvii on
    Oh, wow. I could do without Guardian Slash but christ that build would mean you can't take Cyclonic Sweeps, Blade Barrier, Hilt Strike, or Stasis Mastery. Those are a ton of useful talents.

Characters
  • KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    Vengeance/Vigilance is pretty great for killing people in pvp while completely disregarding the fact that your ass is getting handed to you just about every second.

I couldn't level with Vengeance. You just get shitcanned so hard by every mob, it sucks. Immortal'd my way to 50 then realized I wanted to try Vengeance. I love killing people especially stealthers with my massive bleeds. Ignoring CC occasionally is very nice as well. I'm still trying to figure out what I like better overall in pvp between Immortal and Vengeance. Immortal just gets so much more survivability and free medals that it is honestly a close call. Plus I am almost the King of Huttball as an Immortal with a healer. As a Vengneace Jugg I am just a King-of-Killing-People-Constantly-But-Not-Doing-Much-Of-Anything-Else.

Segway;

Those that have done EV, what kind of gear did you have to tank it? I have a tank set that I am have building up from Black Talon runs, etc. Although I am trying to figure out if it is worth my time to wear my tank pvp gear (which I don't have much of, I went for the dps pvp gear). Is fully Illum-modded tank set with purple-pvp-mixings (belt, one craptastic relic) be enough for regular/hard?

Keysier wrote:
    Segway;

Those that have done EV, what kind of gear did you have to tank it? I have a tank set that I am have building up from Black Talon runs, etc. Although I am trying to figure out if it is worth my time to wear my tank pvp gear (which I don't have much of, I went for the dps pvp gear). Is fully Illum-modded tank set with purple-pvp-mixings (belt, one craptastic relic) be enough for regular/hard?

There is no tank gear check in the entire place just get what you can and go. I've been drastically overgeared for the place. The only advantage to having good tank gear is on the last guy if you DPS is a bit behind you can take him while enraged pretty easily.

PVP gear for tanking is a better starting out point too, you'll get it quicker and easier. The armoring for the PVE pieces are better for PVE though, so once you have an orange go grab some dailies and buy the armoring with them in Ilum/Belsavis. Take out the PVP mod and enhancement, combine that with the armoring in any orange and thats something great you can build off of.

EV on normal is there to just see the raid and story for anyone. Its not meant to be some gear required thing. However being geared in it means you're done in two hours or so as long as you dont bug anything.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    Badwrong, I didn't know you were Beef-Supreme. (you've been 50 for a while, haven't you?) I spent a couple days pvp'ing a a week or so ago, and saw you on the other side a lot. you looked like you knew what you were doing so I tried to kill you when i saw you. i even succeeded once or twice.

so what sort of stats does a 50 Vanguard shoot for?

Badwrong, I didn't know you were Beef-Supreme. (you've been 50 for a while, haven't you?) I spent a couple days pvp'ing a a week or so ago, and saw you on the other side a lot. you looked like you knew what you were doing so I tried to kill you when i saw you. i even succeeded once or twice.

You must have tunnel visioned then, i was typing in /say to you and said "SKIPPY GIMME A HUG!"

You gave me a blaster hug...

I was tempted to jump in the candymancers vent and say howdy.

I was one of maybe 3 level 50s floating around the warzones at that time and people focus fired the shit out of 50s at that time. I felt bad when I saw you alone in a WZ without wolve and others, and the premade of other empire 50s was rocking early into release. Fun games though, I could tell you wanted to pew pew me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SaboSabo Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    so what sort of stats does a 50 Vanguard shoot for?

For main stats Vanguards should get Endurance (HP) and Aim (DMG). Other than that the best Ratings to get are Shield Absorption & Shield Rating with Defense Rating being secondary. If you PvP obviously add Accuracy and Expertise Ratings into the primary mix.

Vangaurds are all about soaking up the damage from numerous enemies, but are also good main tanks. For example, my 50 vanguard already has 50% shield absorption and 50% shield chance procs in the best PvE gear. That pretty much means half the time I only receive half of the possible damage. That's pretty baller.

Sabo on
    yeah, i'm in crafted blues and have about 40% shield and 40% absorb, with something like 15% defense. 14700 hp. i only have about 1k aim though, and i'm wondering if that's low or not. i have the correlia commendation chest, and have been trying to get more mods and mod-able gear, but still working on getting the rest of the guildies up to 50.