As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Transformers Movie Thread

• Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ive seen this 3 times now. It has been a long time since any movie has me go back more than once.

Heres the real kicker - It still rocks, although the cheesy bits are still annoying.

I went to rotten tomatos to have a look and sure enough 2 bad reviews. One is "too much human, stupid plot, eye candy" blah blah blah, the other "should be more highbrow, not aiming to please the little boy inside us, nothing for females".

Yeah critics are morons. Every girl I know loves this movie, it should appeal to the child inside, I personally LIKE eye candy that can act, and I think the opening attack is one of the finest pieces of OMFG WE ARE UNDER ATTACK BY THE UNKNOWN I have ever seen.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    DeadEye001DeadEye001 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Glyph wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »
    aquabat wrote: »
    Khayless wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    For those that have seen it, does Megaton sound like Hugo Weaving or did they "alter" his voice?

Megatron doesn't sound like Hugo Weaving/Agent Smith/Elrond. I didn't realise he was the voice actor until I saw the credits.
    He has some great fucking lines too.

"No. I want two pieces."
    :cry:
    Anyone else think that they were a little "Hey, well... I guess bad luck, huh? Rock on!" about the whole thing? And boy, did he give the big bastard hell before it happened.
    I don't think they liked him much. Probably snagging all the Cybertronian fembot tail.
    After that little scene I was chuckling to myself, because Optimus seemed like he was in mourning for around about 3.6 seconds. I was half-expecting him to just turf those two halves of Jazz over his shoulder, and continue talking.

DeadEye001 on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have to say, looking at the 'rotten' reviews on rottentomatoes.com, it really looks like some reviews are being contrarian on purpose.

I mean seriously, "Hated the robots and their funny voices, hated the humans, and the cereal box story."

Sounds like someone wanted to be the very first person to hate on Transformers, and couldn't come up with a reasonable argument for it.

"If writer-director Fredi Murer had sparked a more rebellious spirit within the project, he might have made a truly memorable fantasy for both children and adults."

Who the hell is Fredi Murer? I can't find mention of him... so wtf.

"Merde that meets the eye."

Oh, that's classy right there. Compare a movie to shit, in your professional, movie criticism.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Movie critics aren't for us.

Actually, I don't know anyone who pays attention to them.

I think they need to join the lawyers on the space shuttle bound for the sun.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Also, getting back to the whole John Turturro thing - I just watched HBO's behind the scenes special on the movie, and it reminded me of Anthony Anderson playing the chuckle-worthy hacker. He was comedic, but it fit for that character and the situations he was in, to the point that I didn't think of him as standing out badly from the rest of the movie when we were discussing the Turturro character.

devoir on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Crayon wrote: »
    Holy hell:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_the_movie/

It's only a few so far...but I am so happy in the pants. I already have tickets to not only the 8 o' clock showing on Monday night, but two tickets to it on Tuesday. Well, double pairs actually for me and the gf-as do all my friends. I even took off work with this in mind, oh glorious days.

I was worried I wouldn't be able to see it when the first day, but I got a ticket to an 8:00 PM showing on Monday as well. WHOO.

Of course, now my interview with the local newspaper is incorrect...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have to say, looking at the 'rotten' reviews on rottentomatoes.com, it really looks like some reviews are being contrarian on purpose.

I mean seriously, "Hated the robots and their funny voices, hated the humans, and the cereal box story."

Sounds like someone wanted to be the very first person to hate on Transformers, and couldn't come up with a reasonable argument for it.

"If writer-director Fredi Murer had sparked a more rebellious spirit within the project, he might have made a truly memorable fantasy for both children and adults."

Who the hell is Fredi Murer? I can't find mention of him... so wtf.

"Merde that meets the eye."

Oh, that's classy right there. Compare a movie to shit, in your professional, movie criticism.

I read those reviews too. I hate that the girl who wrote the "Hated the robots and their funny voices, hated the humans, and the cereal box story." sounded like she was intentionally being a bitch. I hate that it gets counted against it too.

aquabat on
  • Options
    SuperunknownSuperunknown Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I watched it today at work and it was fantastic. But that god damn Australian bitched even pissed me off.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    She really has a very strong accent. I do not speak like her at all, and certainly found her a bit startling when she opened her mouth. Had the same reaction when I watched the HBO behind the scenes special. I haven't seen her in any of her Australian television appearances, but I'm guessing that's her natural accent. Bit nasal.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    My girlfriend pointed out that its probably exaggerated and she's most likely over-pronouncing because American audiences wouldn't be used to it. Not a bad theory

Her only other major role was on Macleod's Daughters, if that puts it into perspective, dev
    Nuff said

aquabat on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    I do not. When I made my avatar, 400years, ago I couldn't find any good resolution pics of Inferno. If you happen to be watching an episode and notice him flying towards the camera and happen to get a close up shot of his face as well I'd be all kinds of thankful. Not a big deal, though.

Wow. I've wondered for like... years... what the hell your avatar was supposed to be.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Macleod's Daughters set needs a visit from a decepticon.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm going to the midnight showing

I will be wearing a t-shirt with the Autobots logo on it

I fear that I'll see a guy in a Decepticons shirt, then tackle him through the crowd screaming "FREEDOM IS THE RIGHT OF ALL SENTIENT BEINGS, DECEPTICUNT"

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dichotomy wrote: »

I fear that I'll see a guy in a Decepticons shirt, then tackle him through the crowd screaming "FREEDOM IS THE RIGHT OF ALL SENTIENT BEINGS, DECEPTICUNT"

Film it and post it on youtube.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I..

Sigged

ronzo on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to the midnight showing

Judging by the number of Autobot / Decepticon t-shirts at the showing I went to, there'll probably more likely be two guys sitting off to the edge of the brawl wearing something normal, and everyone else in line battling for the sake of their t-shirt's emblem.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    About every 1/5 guys I saw at my showing was wearing a Decepticon/Transformers logo t-shirt.

In regards to Rachael Taylor - I guess that explains a lot. McLeod's Daughters. Pfft. Glad I didn't recognise her :P

I'm such a snob.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah I didn't get Mcleods Daughters until mentioned in this thread.

That is like a massive drain on the collective intelligence of the females in Australia.

I still ascertain that a little visit from scorponok or starscream would make the show almost watchable.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    "The girls on McLeod's Daughters have faced many challenges over the years, and now they'll have to fight an intergalactic foe with the firepower of an aircraft carrier!"

<whiny voice>: "But the cows have run out the back gate, mum!"

devoir on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    They actually have cows? So basically, its unrealistic in every way, including the fact they can keep their cattle alive without water.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "But the cows have run out the back gate, mum!"
    tftm0110.jpg
    "You've failed me for the last time."

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh shit, I think I scared the neighbours with the LOL. :D

That was hilarious. :D

Starscream raising cattle... priceless.

devoir on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "But the cows have run out the back gate, mum!"
    tftm0110.jpg
    "You've failed me for the last time."

Is Megatron/Galvatron crying or did he suck some Robo wang?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cue homoerotic comic of Megatron sucking on Optimus Prime's fingers, and/or vice versa.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Actually, theres a bit of robot bukkake in the movie. Sort of.

aquabat on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    spoilers

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    optimus-tee.png

I wish I could convert photoshopped images into reality. I'd wear this shirt.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    optimus-tee.png

It's like an 8-year-old made a t-shirt.

A talented 8-year-old, but an 8-year-old nonetheless.

Squashua on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    optimus-tee.png

I'd buy one.

or five...

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The nearest theatre to me is showing Transformers at 8pm tomorrow (monday).

Whats up with that? I thought this flick was supposed to hit on the third?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SirNickSirNick Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The nearest theatre to me is showing Transformers at 8pm tomorrow (monday).

Whats up with that? I thought this flick was supposed to hit on the third?

Seems to be that most theatres were going to show advance screenings on Mondays, as per the standard nowadays for movie premieres.

But looking at the official site right now, it's showing the release date to be 7.2.7 right now (as compared to 7.4.7 for the July 4 release and the revised 7.3.7 out of nowhere). So, maybe it's an official thing.

SirNick on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    Since Soundwave got skipped over in the movie he decided to go back to school and run for the student union.
    So awesome. So funny.

OK, I just fell out of my chair laughing.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Soundwave totally outdid his opponent, and since its not an important job, Id vote for sheer awesome thinking outside the box.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    kjiingkjiing Registered User new member
    edited July 2007
    Did no one else think the soundtrack kicked ass?

kjiing on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    To be honest, I can't remember that much about the soundtrack except that Disturbed played over the credits and Linkin Park played during Optimus' speech.

devoir on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    kjiing wrote: »
    Did no one else think the soundtrack kicked ass?

I liked the orchestral stuff, but man, the nu-metal was annoying.
    aquabat wrote: »
    So theres a new Transformers movie coming out. So far the character designs are a bit controversial - taking a few liberties with the look and design and updating them for the 90's. I dont have a problem with it, but I thought we could draw out some discussion and share some memories and excitement and stuff

First off we have a Decepticon cop car and - controversially - Bumblebee is now a Camaro. I dont really have a problem with that.

8127_super.jpg

Quoting this from millions of years ago, I would like to point out that Barricade was beyond awesome. The movie needed more of the chase scene between Barricade and Bumblebee. I really think of the decepticons, Barricade really does fit, especially with the awesome "To punish and enslave" written on the side of the vehicle. He really fits the decepticons theme IMO, plus he gets a couple of the most awesome lines in the film (well, I thought they were due to pure lol factor).

Anyone who complained about Barricade being a police car deserves to be punched in the nuts.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Barricade was fucking sweet. Had me on the edge of my seat a bit when he's clomping after Shia.

I agree an extended car chase scene between Bumblebee and Barricade could have been awesome. What was even more awesome, however, was
    Bumblebee laying the smackdown on Barricade. It really set Bumblebee up as a very competent warrior, which is not something he got a lot of in the original series, so it was a bit of a nice development of the character.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    optimus-tee.png

Yeah, I just wanted to express the general concept, not spend hours on it. If I was making an actual shirt, I'd do it properly.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was the only one amongst my friends who didn't like this film. Maybe I let my self hope for too much.

It basically felt like The OC meets Independence Day plus robots minus any redeeming factors of those things. Way WAY too much focus on bad comedy- I mean did anyone actually enjoy the sequence with the Transformers hiding outside his house? I guess it was unreasonable for me to hope that the 'formers would be the main characters, it had to be about the humans i suppose. And the 'lol different sides of the story come together to triumph against the alien menace' thing from independence day was WAY overused here. Hot programmer, goverment dude, black ops arsehole, tough soldier, kid+girl, Cliche black dude all get to fight teh aliens in their own way!

I mean the fact that it closes with a Linkin Park song really summed up the movie for me.

The sad part is if they made a sequel and it somehow involved Unicron I would be there again on opening night.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Unicron recreated in this live-action style of CG would be absolutely terrifying

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif