As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Invincible

• robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Hardcover 2 needs to come out now.

Or at least I should have some idea as to when it's coming out.

robosagogo on
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    Hey Lave.

If you want your girlfriend to start reading Invincible, definitely try to have her read the first Ultimate edition first. It just contains some really important story stuff, and is sure to get her hooked anyway.

As for other comics, might I suggest Y: The Last Man? We got Fram's sister reading it and now she wants all the trades.

If you want to get her into more DC stuff, I could help with that too.

My ex refuses to hand me back my Sandman trades. Other lady friends prefer the inherent classiness contained in the Runaways digests.

Other than that... I know of literally no girls who actively dig the spandex set. On the other hand, I know of half a dozen with hardback copies of stuff like Love and Rockets and Strangers in Paradise.

Then there's manga, but, y'know, manga's bollocks.

Red or Alive on
  • animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    My ex refuses to hand me back my Sandman trades.
    Perfect excuse to buy the Absolute edition.

animale on
    edited June 2006
    animale wrote:
    My ex refuses to hand me back my Sandman trades.
    Perfect excuse to buy the Absolute edition.

Isn't it just?

A pity I'm going to part with at least one vital organ in order to afford the whole set.

S'worth it.

Red or Alive on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2006
    Is the Ultimate Collection Volume 2 out? Amazon doesn't say "comes out on XX/XX/XXXX" but it does say "ships in 2 to 4 weeks".

Garlic Bread on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I just read #32.

Oh man.

Cliff-hanger

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • LaveLave regular
    edited June 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    Hey Lave.

If you want your girlfriend to start reading Invincible, definitely try to have her read the first Ultimate edition first. It just contains some really important story stuff, and is sure to get her hooked anyway.

As for other comics, might I suggest Y: The Last Man? We got Fram's sister reading it and now she wants all the trades.

If you want to get her into more DC stuff, I could help with that too.

Yeah, I would have her start with the first as when I get the second one I can go to her "Wow this is awesome - look even the guy who made Lost thinks it's awesome - wanna borrow the first?"

Y is a Brilliant idea! Especially as I only have #1 in a Vertigo Trade so can use it as an excuse to buy it for myself in the first place!

But to be honest - as much as I love JL and the DC I don't think latex superheros will work with her. She's much more into things with mysteries which are foreshadowed before a big reveal, or something that teases you week by week.

Cheers for the help - If you can think of anything else to that would be awesome.

To be honest for me too. I've only really read Alan Moore's stuff, A bit of JLA, a bit of Ultimates some Vertigo and Image collection tpb's and now Invincible and walking dead. As as tpbs are expensive I would rather pick at the cream.

I'm getting RSI from work so trying to cut out the Nintendo time for reading sequential art. That and 'cos JLU has always been enough Superhero fun for me - but now it's.... gone.... I will have to get it else where. Maybe we can take that to the JLU thread - What do we do know?.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • LaveLave regular
    edited June 2006
    bobgorila wrote:
    I totally got my little sister into comics with Preacher.

For me it was Gaiman's Sandman... unless you want to count Judge Dredd, but in england that's pretty much required reading for all kids.

That a pretty dark book for a little sister - unless you just mean younger. But yeah I've read the first few trades of preacher - and although I love it, I don't think she'll dig it.
    My ex refuses to hand me back my Sandman trades. Other lady friends prefer the inherent classiness contained in the Runaways digests.

Other than that... I know of literally no girls who actively dig the spandex set. On the other hand, I know of half a dozen with hardback copies of stuff like Love and Rockets and Strangers in Paradise.

Then there's manga, but, y'know, manga's bollocks.

I don't think she'll dig Sandman - she doesn't dig emo shit

[spoiler:d6e76518ea]I kid, I kid![/spoiler:d6e76518ea]

But, and I know I'm gona get shit for this... Whats Runaways about? I've never heard of it?

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2006
    Runaways is a Marvel comic about a group of kids who discover that their parents are actually supervillains. It's fucking fantastic.

DJ Eebs on
  • LaveLave regular
    edited June 2006
    Sounds Interesting. Does it "cross-over" a lot. Or require a lot of background knowledge?

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • MelMel Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Practically none at all. You'll love it, go pick it up already.

Mel on
    71854.jpg
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2006
    Lave wrote:
    Sounds Interesting. Does it "cross-over" a lot. Or require a lot of background knowledge?
    The first volume is almost entirely self-contained, but the second volume has had a lot more tie-in to the main Marvel Universe.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited June 2006
    Of course, telling us what your girl does like might make things easier.

What TV shows dows she watch? What books does she read? Does she have a favourite genre?

Chances are, there'll be a reasonable comic book analog.

Red or Alive on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Shit guys, my comic shop didn't have the sixth trade in.

And now I leave for four fucking weeks in 2 days.

I need to find this god damned trade.

Sars_Boy on
  • DakDak Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Lave wrote:
    Jordyn wrote:
    That way of describing it...

Yeah...

I came up with that in the shower.

*wink wink*

Jordyn!!

So anyhow - I'm geeking up my girlfriend - first buy selling her my old nintendo DS (I normally role G&T), which she loves. And I'm thinking I may lend her invincible. The fact that Ultimate Collection 2 is introduced by the co-creator of Lost should get her interested at least.

Or would you recommend anything else? What with your vagina and all? The fact that invincible is a self-contained universe and needs no priors (except for the in-jokes) means I think she may dig it...

Or other people here with vag experience...

When I first met my girlfriend, she had no clue what a huge fucing geek I was. Her only brush with geekdom was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. So I started her off with Fables.

Everyone must love Fables.

Your girlfriend will love Fables.

If you have not read it, you will love Fables.

I say that, then onto Y, maybe Walking Dead - it depends.

Then, maybe, Sandman.

That's just how I sort of eased my girl into comics. Now she complains when I see comic book movies with my friends instead of her.

I am going to marry this girl, btw. :D

Dak on
    GAWink.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Sars_Boy wrote:

I bought it just the other day. So good. Everytime I buy a new Invincible trade I start thinking about buying it in singles. But because I'm completely anal retentive I really don't want to own half the series in trades and half in singles.

Munch on
  • SeravenSeraven Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Munch wrote:
    Sars_Boy wrote:

I bought it just the other day. So good. Everytime I buy a new Invincible trade I start thinking about buying it in singles. But because I'm completely anal retentive I really don't want to own half the series in trades and half in singles.

I know exactly what you mean. That's usually how I work ship around here, too, which is too bad, because I'd like to support the creators by purchasing the single issues, but I don't want to have two different formats damn-it!

Seraven on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    i tried to get my gf 'into' comics by getting her to read vol 1 of Y.

*sigh* she hated it. there was too much 'blood and violence' or some BS shit like that. I was soooo dissapinted :(

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Hardtarget wrote:
    i tried to get my gf 'into' comics by getting her to read vol 1 of Y.

*sigh* she hated it. there was too much 'blood and violence' or some BS shit like that. I was soooo dissapinted :(

Drop her.

Drop her so hard her ancestors feel rejected. Not because she doesn't like Y, but because that is a really, really dumb reason not to like something.

Or don't, your choice. I mean, I wouldn't, but you know. You could.

Spectre-x on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Bone is a pretty good introduction to comics if the person likes cute characters and fantasy stuff as well.

robosagogo on
  • DakDak Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Holy crap, I just finished Volume 6. When [spoiler:bd90f6f04d]Nolan showed up[/spoiler:bd90f6f04d] I KNEW this volume was going to be badass.

Seriously, everytime a volume ends I seriously consider picking up the singles. Can totally relate to those guys earlier in the thread.

And Jesus! [spoiler:bd90f6f04d]Mark has a BROTHER now![/spoiler:bd90f6f04d]

Dak on
    GAWink.jpg
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I just finished the first Ultimate Collection. Awesome. Now I have to wait until August for the next one.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    i also just finihsed the first ultimate collection. it was extremely good

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Amazon says hardcover #1 usually ships within 24 hours, hardcover #2 usually ships within 2-4 weeks...

That's lame.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I'm sad to say that I'm reluctant to pick this up because of Kirkman's run of Ultimate X-Men. Is his horrible UXM stuff just a fluke or something?

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I'm sad to say that I'm reluctant to pick this up because of Kirkman's run of Ultimate X-Men. Is his horrible UXM stuff just a fluke or something?

Yeah.

Spectre-x on
  • LaveLave regular
    edited June 2006
    Suds wrote:
    I just finished the first Ultimate Collection. Awesome. Now I have to wait until August for the next one.
    Amazon says hardcover #1 usually ships within 24 hours, hardcover #2 usually ships within 2-4 weeks...

That's lame.

OBJECTION! statement 1 and statement 2 do not agree with each other.

I've just order Ultimate Collection 2 from Amazon and it says: "Delivery estimate: 19 Jul 2006 - 25 Jul 2006"

But i know they were having trouble at the printers a while back - is this another case of amazon making shit up?

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I hate you Jordyn.

I saw this thread and was like "Hm, what's Invincible?" Now I'm fucking addicted. I just finished Volume 3 and I'm going to pick up Volume 4 on my way to work. The introductions are amazing.

And I quote:

"Kirkman. Goddamn Kirkman"
    ~Eric Kubiek

"The first time I met Robert Kirkman in person, he insulted my shoes. He sat right there, in a guest chair in my office up at Marvel and just leaned over and insulted my shoes."
    ~Tom Brevoort

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Oh God

Angstrom Levy hahahahaha

[spoiler:99b742b9ba]it is too bad he died that soon, that was a pretty awesome power which could make things pretty interesting[/spoiler:99b742b9ba]

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited July 2006
    Oh God

Angstrom Levy hahahahaha

[spoiler:06a7e65ac4]it is too bad he died that soon, that was a pretty awesome power which could make things pretty interesting[/spoiler:06a7e65ac4]

Oh god I read that! I was like "Oh, I've seen him. Must be something that won't be spoiled for me." I was wrong.

I picked up the 4th one on my way to work and it was fucking fantastic.

[spoiler:06a7e65ac4]"With these power bracelets we can counteract the effects of your dimension!" *Random fireball flies through the air and hits his bracelet, destroying it* "Oh hell."[/spoiler:06a7e65ac4]

Daric on
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Even with all the love being heaped on the book in the thread, I have to say I despise the look of the art in the preview issue online. (Everyone evidently has a damn scar under their eye, wtf.) Does the art improve throughout?

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2006
    It gets a new artist after issue 7.

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2006
    Could I perhaps get an unmasked art sample from that? The "masked" stuff in issue 1 was pretty good, but god damn if that artist had any idea how to draw a human face. (It worked for Mark's dad, since I got the impression he's supposed to be a bit "grizzled", but it doesn't work so well on his wife or young women.)

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
    edited July 2006
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    Could I perhaps get an unmasked art sample from that? The "masked" stuff in issue 1 was pretty good, but god damn if that artist had any idea how to draw a human face. (It worked for Mark's dad, since I got the impression he's supposed to be a bit "grizzled", but it doesn't work so well on his wife or young women.)

Man, what're you talking about? I think they look good. Hell, I'd do Dupli-Kate. Especially if there was more than one of her.

Daric on
    edited July 2006
    OK, perfect example of what I mean right here:

http://www.imagecomics.com/iconline.php?title=invincible_001&page=9

I mean, what the F, does she have battle scars or something?

If she's actually meant to have battle scars then I retract that statement.

Just throughout though, I'm not fond of the art style.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Angstrom Levy [spoiler:4ee1b77c58]dies? When does that happen?[/spoiler:4ee1b77c58]

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited July 2006
    Suds wrote:
    Angstrom Levy [spoiler:d634a16e85]dies? When does that happen?[/spoiler:d634a16e85]

What? Who told you that?

Because it isn't true.

Knob on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Regarding Angstrom (in #33):

[spoiler:b47fd41f11]In the newest issue, Invincible sorta pounds the guy's head into oblivion, until he's standing there covered in Levy's blood, all freaked out because uh, he totally just killed a dude. Of course, we know that there's a whole bunch of Angstroms so maybe we'll see some of the other one's? The one with the deformed head though, yeah, he's totally dead.[/spoiler:b47fd41f11]

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Suds wrote:
    Angstrom Levy [spoiler:8862cc0550]dies? When does that happen?[/spoiler:8862cc0550]
    Jordyn wrote:

Come on, Let me hear you say it,

Just once let me her you say it...

Come on....
    Knob wrote:
    Angstom Levy is not de......
    Jordyn wrote:
    WRONG!

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    Regarding Angstrom (in #33):

[spoiler:7a31dc8684]In the newest issue, Invincible sorta pounds the guy's head into oblivion, until he's standing there covered in Levy's blood, all freaked out because uh, he totally just killed a dude. Of course, we know that there's a whole bunch of Angstroms so maybe we'll see some of the other one's? The one with the deformed head though, yeah, he's totally dead.[/spoiler:7a31dc8684]

[spoiler:7a31dc8684]Well, since I'm guessing Mark is now stranded in some random reality, I'd guess he'll have to track down this realities Angstrom to try and get home. That'd at least be the first way I'd try and get back.[/spoiler:7a31dc8684]

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg