As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PATV: Season 3 Episode 7: Working Conditions

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited December 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Mike is a tube-innovator.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    I haven't watched PA: The Series before. It's really enlightening to see how much of their process is subtractive.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    jackal wrote:
    I haven't watched PA: The Series before. It's really enlightening to see how much of their process is subtractive.

There was that one comic that was all about Tycho shooting down an idea Gabe had for a comic.

Can't remember the context, but... it was a bad idea.

This 4th Panel was surprisingly direct from conception to finished comic. Usually there's lots of dancing around trying to find the best idea, this time they had it from the start, just trimmed it down a little.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    Is there some way to get this stuff on my ipod?

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    jackal wrote:

There was that one comic that was all about Tycho shooting down an idea Gabe had for a comic.

This 4th Panel was surprisingly direct from conception to finished comic. Usually there's lots of dancing around trying to find the best idea, this time they had it from the start, just trimmed it down a little.

That comic still ended up getting made, though.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    The old podcasts seem like a better representation of the process, the 4th panels are either super edited or they've managed to streamline how fast they can make a comic by a tonne.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    jackal wrote:

Sounds like this one: http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/08/16

• Options
    Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    815165 wrote:
    The old podcasts seem like a better representation of the process, the 4th panels are either super edited or they've managed to streamline how fast they can make a comic by a tonne.

yeah PATV is awesome, but it's really made to be exciting like a tv show, where as the podcast was more fly on the wall.

• Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    Man, that tube thing would have been pretty awesome if this were a podcast and there was no visual aid.

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    jackisreal wrote:
    Is there some way to get this stuff on my ipod?

You can stream the videos just fine on iOS, or you can add the blip.tv feed and sometimes they forget and you end up with the video downloaded, which is nice, and probably won't happen again since I just mentioned it, whoops.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    815165 wrote:

yeah PATV is awesome, but it's really made to be exciting like a tv show, where as the podcast was more fly on the wall.

I think it's more that they tend to keep on point when there's a TV crew in the room with them. It's probably hard to shoot the shit about nothing in particular for an hour with a camera in your face and a boom mic all up in your business.

• Options
    oddbilloddbill Registered User regular
    Aurich wrote:
    815165 wrote:

I think it's more that they tend to keep on point when there's a TV crew in the room with them. It's probably hard to shoot the shit about nothing in particular for an hour with a camera in your face and a boom mic all up in your business.

No - it's edited. The podcasts were just raw recording. The production team has just as rambling raw footage. They edit it into a tighter 10 minute 4th Panel.

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    You think so? I don't really feel like rewatching it, but they seemed to have just sat down (after the tube fun) and whipped up a comic. I guess they may have shot the shit for an hour prior to The Tube hand, but that's not really the same as the way they'd stop and talk about something they saw on TV in the middle of the writing process in the podcast.

• Options
    TAFKAPTAFKAP Warrior-Jumper Registered User regular
    The Penny Arcade Business model:

1: Shoot the shit.
    2: ???
    3: Profit.

I'm pretty sure there's something about jay-pegs in there somewhere too.

• Options
    oddbilloddbill Registered User regular
    TAFKAP wrote:
    The Penny Arcade Business model:

2: ???
    3: Profit.

I'm pretty sure there's something about jay-pegs in there somewhere too.

More like:

2: Allow Robert Khoo to hire himself into your nonexistent company.
    3: Buy a boat.