As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo III] The old thread.

SkabSkab Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
Diablo-III.jpg
"They should pray for the mercy of a swift death..."

Official Site - http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/index.xml
Community Site - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/
Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/diablo

Plenty of info can be found at the game guide section of the commuinty site, http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/

CLASSES!
(portraits link to official info)
10mu6c5.jpg20ayki9.jpg2zeikuu.jpgwbxxfb.jpgsuu9gl.jpg

NEW FEATURES!

INFERNO
Meant as the endgame difficulty, all monsters have at least a base level of 61. Player characters currently cap at level 60. Best gear in the game will drop in Inferno mode, and it is designed to provide players with the ability to farm for gear within the entire breadth of the game, as opposed to going on very specific "runs".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBH9wsIGbYU

RUNESTONES
Enhance your character's skills by slotting in runestones that will drastically alter that skill's effects!
http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/runestones.xml

ARTISANS AND CRAFTING
Artisans can craft new items from recipes, repair gear, and (in the case of the blacksmith) add sockets to items. As they level up, they will provide new services for the player. There are currently three types of artisans in the game: the blacksmith, the mystic, and the jeweler.
http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/crafting.xml

FOLLOWERS
Enlist the aid of several unique followers in your single-player quest! There are currently three followers in the game: the Templar, the Enchantress, and the Scoundrel. They can be equipped with gear, level up, and provide support through dps, tanking, or healing.
http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/followers.xml

WIP, will add more later.
[/quote]

steam_sig.png
Skab on

• Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    so what does "Early 2012" mean?

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Whenever they feel like it's done

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    When It's Done™

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    This is the game that will break my "no $60 PC games" principal. *sigh*

steam_sig.png
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Astale wrote:
    Is someone seriously calling other people cowards in this thread for not playing a game mode they don't like?

What?

Drive on the left side of the road, bitch! It's the man's way!
    That's me, you can either:
    deal with it

or

come at me bro

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    You know...why did I think Baal was spelled Bhal?

Syrionus on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Throne of Bhaal probably.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So what if you play on Hardcore AND Softcore? Are you normal, half a coward, half brave, what? The mind boggles!

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Bisexual.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Explains the rainbows and what not, I guess...

• SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote:
    Explains the rainbows and what not, I guess...

lmao! I fell out of my chair at work. Now I look like an ass....thanks!

• Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote:
    This is the game that will break my "no $60 PC games" principal. *sigh*

It's ok. Can't win 'em all. I'm in the same boat.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I love how all the vocal minority(hardcore players) think that the majority of players in Diablo play hardcore because "its the only way to play that is not <insert sexual/racial/social insult here>."

The truth is that MOST of the ppl that love Diablo games did NOT play hardcore exclusively(if at all) and saying otherwise is just wrong.

I personally only played hardcore a handful of times. It was not fun for me(I did not die) because it was the same freakin game, but slower. All it did was trained me how to "save & quit" super fast(which is NOT manly by any stretch of the imagination) and to look at champion monster enhancements before engaging(because some of them will just straight up 1 shot you)... and then "save & quit" to generate a new seed. I don't see how that is any less cowardly than playing "softcore mode".

spitfirek on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2012
    Basically, a lot of the dudes who play hardcore exclusively as a status thing waste their own time, and then try to make other dudes feel bad about not being 'hardcore' so they can justify to themselves that they haven't wasted their own time.

If you're playing it for shits and giggles with friends, that's fine and dandy. But the people who pretend there's something special about hardcore that there isn't about just avoiding deaths in softcore are a joke, and there's really no two ways about that.

They're basically on the level of all the Darkfall players who write gargantuan forum posts lamenting how MMOs cater to the casuals and everything was better in UO when you could just sit around PKing lowbies for free gear.

Bethryn on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Bethryn wrote:
    Basically, a lot of the dudes who play hardcore exclusively as a status thing waste their own time, and then try to make other dudes feel bad about not being 'hardcore' so they can justify to themselves that they haven't wasted their own time.

If you're playing it for shits and giggles with friends, that's fine and dandy. But the people who pretend there's something special about hardcore that there isn't about just avoiding deaths in softcore are a joke, and there's really no two ways about that.

They're basically on the level of all the Darkfall players who write gargantuan forum posts lamenting how MMOs cater to the casuals and everything was better in UO when you could just sit around PKing lowbies for free gear.

This seems to be a fairly dramatic statement and a big generalization. While elitism is always annoying and stupid, you should not judge a crowd by its loudest members. For a lot of people including me there is something special about hardcore that goes beyond just avoiding deaths in softcore, I recognize that there are arguments to be made against this but it is an opinion that I feel I should not have to be attacked for.

But more importantly, can we please stop factionalizing this subject and make it into a perpetual "us versus them" argument? It should be clear by now that it will not get anywhere.

Vic on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Hardcore owns sorry nerd

• A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    Mmmm, love that new thread smell.

I really hope that Blizzard allows us to give other people virtual copies of the game when it launches. I've got two friends that are poor that I like playing with, but they live on the other side of the country, and it'd be a pain in the ass to buy a box then mail it to them (or buy online and have it shipped to them etc) when we all have battle.net accounts.

Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    So I'm guessing I would need to buy this game twice to play with my wife via internet? (no lan play I assume) If so fuck the $60 pricetag. I'm not paying $120.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote:
    waste their own time

You do realize that this is a video game, right? You guys are silly geese for prolonging this pointless argument (about the right way to have fun with a game) into a 2nd thread.

edited January 2012
    Vic wrote:
    This seems to be a fairly dramatic statement and a big generalization.
    It isn't a generalisation, because I specifically call out the subset I'm referring to. " a lot of the dudes who play hardcore exclusively as a status thing"

This isn't a "anyone who plays HC sucks" post, it's directed at the sorts of people who think HC is the be-all and end-all and will crow to the cows come home about how bad not being on HC is.
    Hardcore owns sorry nerd
    Pretty sure Hardcore is nerd mode, and Softcore is for the coolest of cats who ain't tryharding like some nerd weiner, bro! 8D
    El Guaco wrote:
    Bethryn wrote:
    waste their own time

You do realize that this is a video game, right?
    Are you trying to imply that all gaming is a waste of time?

Bethryn on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    For lazy people

greeble wrote:
    So I'm guessing I would need to buy this game twice to play with my wife via internet? (no lan play I assume) If so fuck the $60 pricetag. I'm not paying $120.

Pretty sure this is the case, yes. Not sure why this is a surprise, unless you are almost exclusively a console gamer.

Bethryn wrote:
    Vic wrote:
    This seems to be a fairly dramatic statement and a big generalization.
    It isn't a generalisation, because I specifically call out the subset I'm referring to. " a lot of the dudes who play hardcore exclusively as a status thing"

This isn't a "anyone who plays HC sucks" post, it's directed at the sorts of people who think HC is the be-all and end-all and will crow to the cows come home about how bad not being on HC is.

Oh really?
    Bethryn wrote:
    [
    But the people who pretend there's something special about hardcore that there isn't about just avoiding deaths in softcore are a joke, and there's really no two ways about that.

How about you read your posts before you press submit.

edited January 2012
    Vic wrote:
    Oh really?
    Bethryn wrote:
    But the people who pretend there's something special about hardcore that there isn't about just avoiding deaths in softcore are a joke, and there's really no two ways about that.

How about you read my posts before you quote them!

Bethryn on
    Bethryn wrote:
    El Guaco wrote:
    Bethryn wrote:
    waste their own time

You do realize that this is a video game, right?
    Are you trying to imply that all gaming is a waste of time?

No, not at all. If what you're doing is enjoyable to you, then it's not a waste of time. I was trying to subtly introduce you to the idea that people who play HC are not wasting their own time because they enjoy it.

Clearly, you seem to enjoy arguing about it and don't find that a waste of time.

Really, just let it go. It's not worth all this silly geese-ery.

El Guaco wrote:
    No, not at all. If what you're doing is enjoyable to you, then it's not a waste of time. I was trying to subtly introduce you to the idea that people who play HC are not wasting their own time because they enjoy it.
    So you were all "fuck yeah, I loved that" when your 100+ hour character died eh?

No, what you were is "fuck yeah I haven't died yet" for every one of those 100 hours, until you died at which point FUCK. That's what makes hardcore feel enjoyable for a lot of people, because you get an extra sense of value for your standard progression.

Sure, there are some dudes who are pretty chilled when their character dies, especially when it's a joke death and they're playing with mates; I specifically said I wasn't talking about them.

And as I've said, you can accumulate the same feeling without deleting a character on death. Plenty of games have done this now that achievements are common; Guild Wars has the Survivor title track, LotR:O had several for getting to at least level 20 without dying, Binding of Isaac has cheevos for getting through levels without taking any damage, and so on.

That's why I'm amused by the RMAH/HC debate; because all it's done is demonstrate how silly the character deletion part actually is.

Bethryn wrote:
    Vic wrote:
    Oh really?
    Bethryn wrote:

How about you read my posts before you quote them!

I did, but evidently you do not realise the implications that can be read from it. I will back off though, I do not want to derail the thread.

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    nerds getting their rage on ITT

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I got into the beta, played through it once and am now completely turned off by starting it again cause I have seen the content already :(

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Vic wrote:
    greeble wrote:

Pretty sure this is the case, yes. Not sure why this is a surprise, unless you are almost exclusively a console gamer.

I'm pretty sure you could do this with Diablo 1 and 2. Just install the game on both computers and play offline LAN games with them. I think it only checked to see if two games were using the same CD Key if you played online.

Of course, now even if you just want to play with your wife in the same room, you are still at the mercy of your ISP and Battle.net in regards to if you'll be able to play or not. Because why should Blizzard care about people with no internet, shitty internet, low data caps, or people who travel a lot or are in the military? They've got a cash cow in the RMAH to protect.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    spitfirek wrote:
    I love how all the vocal minority(hardcore players) think that the majority of players in Diablo play hardcore because "its the only way to play that is not <insert sexual/racial/social insult here>."

all hardcore players do this, really?
    spitfirek wrote:
    The truth is that MOST of the ppl that love Diablo games did NOT play hardcore exclusively(if at all) and saying otherwise is just wrong.

And whatever MOST people do is obviously the best way... I don't think anyone has argued that hardcore is fun or meritorious in some way because of its popularity (or lack thereof)
    spitfirek wrote:
    I personally only played hardcore a handful of times. It was not fun for me(I did not die) because it was the same freakin game, but slower. All it did was trained me how to "save & quit" super fast(which is NOT manly by any stretch of the imagination) and to look at champion monster enhancements before engaging(because some of them will just straight up 1 shot you)... and then "save & quit" to generate a new seed. I don't see how that is any less cowardly than playing "softcore mode".

I played Hardcore for those rare moments when I went: "holy shit I almost lost this character!". It really got the adrenaline pumping and the blood going. There was some investment there for me. Let's be honest: Diablo II is a staggeringly easy game; Hardcore put some fun and challenge into it (mostly, as you said, when you got the occasional tough champion mods.)

I started with SC, went to HC with a bunch of HC friends thought I would never turn back, and then went back to SC to coop with a SC-only friend. it was a little more casual, less high stress just killing time. my HC stuff was a challenge. I prefer HC, but I see the value of SC and will probably end up with both types of characters.

@ Bethryn you make some good points about achievements. hardcore would be interesting as a temporary status. when you die you go into the softcore pool but lose your achievements/cheevos whatever. that's a neat idea. My HC friends and I have thought about a middle-ground between HC and SC which would probably be ideal for us, and I think your suggestion fits the bill. but I think there's also something to be said for the harsh unyielding finality of that deeds screen

valiance on
  • SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Page 1 and the Diablo III thread is already a flamefest. Sign of release? Haha, but seriously, I'm worred about the acerbic nature of the community already...hopefully it won't be as bad as LoL/HoN/DoTA. But based on the forum attitude, it's perilously close and the game hasn't even come out yet.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

Literally just two nerds posting bullshit at each other

Community in Diablo is essentially rushes and shit right now

Just play with ya boys

Also the LoL thread is acerbic? ahahahaha no, especially not compared to the general community for dota/hon/lol

• spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    valiance wrote:
    spitfirek wrote:

all hardcore players do this, really?

No, the vocal minority do(like I said).
    valiance wrote:
    spitfirek wrote:

And whatever MOST people do is obviously the best way... I don't think anyone has argued that hardcore is fun or meritorious in some way because of its popularity (or lack thereof)

It usually is the most efficient way at least, "best" is an opinion.
    valiance wrote:
    spitfirek wrote:

I played Hardcore for those rare moments when I went: "holy shit I almost lost this character!". It really got the adrenaline pumping and the blood going. There was some investment there for me. Let's be honest: Diablo II is a staggeringly easy game; Hardcore put some fun and challenge into it (mostly, as you said, when you got the occasional tough champion mods.)

I started with SC, went to HC with a bunch of HC friends thought I would never turn back, and then went back to SC to coop with a SC-only friend. it was a little more casual, less high stress just killing time. my HC stuff was a challenge. I prefer HC, but I see the value of SC and will probably end up with both types of characters

@ Bethryn you make some good points about achievements. hardcore would be interesting as a temporary status. when you die you go into the softcore pool but lose your achievements/cheevos whatever. that's a neat idea. but I think there's something to be said for the harsh unyielding finality of that deeds screen

I didn't say hardcore was bad for everyone; some ppl like the adrenaline rush of almost dieing, smashing their keyboard to drink pots, and then hit "esc" and "save & quit" as quickly as possible. I did get that rush also, but I got the same one just before dieing in softcore mode, so I don't see the benefit of permanently losing my character. I also am not one of those ppl that like to jump out of perfectly good airplanes for fun... so it might just be me . o_O

steam_sig.png
    valiance wrote:
    @ Bethryn you make some good points about achievements. hardcore would be interesting as a temporary status. when you die you go into the softcore pool but lose your achievements/cheevos whatever. that's a neat idea. My HC friends and I have thought about a middle-ground between HC and SC which would probably be ideal for us, and I think your suggestion fits the bill. but I think there's also something to be said for the harsh unyielding finality of that deeds screen
    Halls of the Dead is cool. I also like the concept of cool banner/visual stuff that people are going to get for progress in Hardcore.

I just think it's a pity you won't get the same achievements/visuals for getting that far without dying in softcore, since I don't really see any distinction - at least from an achievement point of view - between the two.

Actually, one of the things I loved in Guild Wars was that when someone got Indomitable Survivor (which was basically maxing a character without dying), it was announced across the server and was one of several ways of allowing players to get into special dungeons for a limited duration. I think it'd be kinda cool if there were something similar in D3 except with something akin to Uber Diablo; that sort of stuff would start to make reaching certain areas of the game with no deaths stand out more.

I think Blizz have already said HC is going to be inherently more difficult as well; bosses having extra debuffs and things like that. Which I think makes it all the more a pity that they're messing it around with the RMAH.

It'll also be interesting, talking of the AH, to see how many items/much gold you need to make before you break even on the $60 D3 cost.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Smoogy wrote:
    Page 1 and the Diablo III thread is already a flamefest. Sign of release? Haha, but seriously, I'm worred about the acerbic nature of the community already...hopefully it won't be as bad as LoL/HoN/DoTA. But based on the forum attitude, it's perilously close and the game hasn't even come out yet.

pfft it will be nowhere close. all internet communities are inherently shitty, but diablo III will be valhalla compared to HoN. Diablo III is mostly cooperative, and when it's competitive there are short rounds and deaths don't cause a snowball of power. HoN/DotA/LoL have long rounds of 40min to an hr, and every death causes a snowball effect and makes it easier for you to die in future (plus there's an incredibly steep learning curve). The MOBA genre is incredibly toxic because of this confluence of factors.

• greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Lars wrote:
    Vic wrote:
    greeble wrote:

I'm pretty sure you could do this with Diablo 1 and 2. Just install the game on both computers and play offline LAN games with them. I think it only checked to see if two games were using the same CD Key if you played online.

Yes, this is exactly how Diablo 1 & 2, Starcraft and Warcraft 1,2,3 behaved. (Well Warcraft 1 & 2 were pre battle net, but they allowed you to spawn lan copies)
    Basically this is how Blizzard rolled before they got taken over by Activision. They are a much shittier company now.

I guess I'll wait till Diablo 3 goes super cheap then (or wait for console release). This is the same reason I've yet to buy Starcraft 2.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    I blame Blizzard for hyping another non-event, and then dragging their feet about that, too. Unless it's a release date, will anyone actually care?

Magic 8-ball says "Not likely".

edited January 2012
    greeble wrote:
    Yes, this is exactly how Diablo 1 & 2, Starcraft and Warcraft 1,2,3 behaved. (Well Warcraft 1 & 2 were pre battle net, but they allowed you to spawn lan copies)
    Basically this is how Blizzard rolled before they got taken over by Activision. They are a much shittier company now.
    WC2 and SC both came with CDs that were Multiplayer CDs. It's not so much the Activision merger as that developers didn't really realise back then that multiplayer was profitable, for a fair few reasons (like lots of people not having access to the 'net enough for regular multiplayer to take off).

Bethryn on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Bethryn wrote:
    greeble wrote:
    WC2 and SC both came with CDs that were Multiplayer CDs. It's not so much the Activision merger as that developers didn't really realise back then that multiplayer was profitable, for a fair few reasons (like lots of people not having access to the 'net enough for regular multiplayer to take off).
    Yeah it's a different world these days. I don't think it's really fair to expect this anymore for online multiplayer games.

captaink on
This discussion has been closed.