As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Filming of Tom Cruise movie banned in Germany

1789101113»

• Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's worse than many. Isn't that enough to want to get rid of it?

Or... is it that you want to get rid of it, but you can't find any practical differences? Germany has some good ideas, I believe.

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The point is that religions shouldn't be protected when their beliefs are batshit crazy AND dangerous.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, the "dangerous" part is really what I'm worried about. And it's more quantifiable, too.

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well yeah.

They're mostly all batshit crazy.

But the AND dangerous thing is the clincher.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is it just me, or does Tom Cruise do his best acting when he's playing someone going off the deep end?

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't know. When was the last time he did some really, really good acting? A Few Good Men? Maybe Last Samurai, but that might be stretching it.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thats as he can play himself with a different accent.

Tom Cruise is not a good actor usually, sometimes he pulls it out though.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Voth wrote: »
    I don't know. When was the last time he did some really, really good acting? A Few Good Men? Maybe Last Samurai, but that might be stretching it.

Haven't seen it, but that one he did with Jamie Foxx, where he was the hit man, I hear was good.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Haven't seen it, but that one he did with Jamie Foxx, where he was the hit man, I hear was good.

It was the same character he always plays, just with his hair dyed grey.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007

I really enjoy his movies.

He was really good in Vanilla Sky and Minority Report.

ege02 on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yeah but he played "Tom Cruise" in the Minority Report universe - he didn't play the character.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nothing was good in Minority Report. Stop lying.

moniker on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    yeah but he played "Tom Cruise" in the Minority Report universe - he didn't play the character.

It's hard work to memorize all of those lines with so many thetans hanging around.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    You could choose to join of your own free will, and still be forced to pay later.
    Or be born into it by having Scientologist parents who indoctrinate you into the religion, and then be forced to pay your own way when you reach adulthood or the 'rents stop paying for you.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Elkamil wrote: »
    You could choose to join of your own free will, and still be forced to pay later.
    Or be born into it by having Scientologist parents who indoctrinate you into the religion, and then be forced to pay your own way when you reach adulthood or the 'rents stop paying for you.
    Kids being born into Scientology is quite a scary thought. Poor Suri.

The great thing about all of the Tom Cruise stuff over the last couple of years is that everybody in the WORLD now knows why Nicole Kidman divorced him.

And for the record, I think he's a great actor. Sean Penn is a great actor, too. It doesn't change the fact that they're loony.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Glaeal wrote: »

It was the same character he always plays, just with his hair dyed grey.

Yes, he always plays a ruthless, aging hitman...

Clevinger on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Whether it is Falun Gong in Japan, Scientology in Germany, or Branch Davidians in Texas, governments can and do say "Uh uh, this isn't a religion" and react accordingly.

This is the way it has always been, and it isn't going to change anytime soon.

Falun Gong is Chinese, and it's relatively peaceful, from what I understand. You're probably thinking of Shoko Asahara's Aum Shinrikyo cult that did the Sarin gas attack in the 90s.

That's exactly what I was thinking of, thank you.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    LiveWire wrote: »
    I'm having a difficult time swallowing the analogy that allowing Tom Cruise onto his on-base movie set is like allowing an Al-Queda member into your military-base. One represents a demonstrable hazard to security, the other one just does not.

Wait, what about all their criminal spying, wiretapping, blackmailing of government officials and attempts to infiltrate government? That's not a reason not to let them onto a military base?

Yes, I have read all of the evidence against Scientology and its criminal dealings, but nothing suggests that Tom Cruise represents a threat to anyone by filming a movie on-base, and nothing suggests to me that Scientology is a crime syndicate and not a religion.

Tom Cruise is a spokesman for the CoS, he is one of their most spiritually advanced practicioners. He isn't merely an actor who happens to be a Scientologist.

Also, you seriously don't understand anything about physical security if you don't see how access to a secure facility is a major threat in and of itself.

All that's needed for a security incident is access and opportunity.

So no, the military doesn't grant access on the basis of "OH, BUT IF WE SAY NO SOMEONE WILL FEEL BAD". :roll:

I fail to see how a list of misdeeds done in Scientology's name, perpetrated by its faithful, makes it less like a religion (I in fact see the opposite).

I utterly fail to see how that makes any fucking difference in why Tom Cruise should be granted access to a military base to film a movie.
    It seems to me that a lot of people just don't like Scientology and so are receptive to any way political machinery can be used against them.

This isn't political, it has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with physical security.

s an extremely active Atheist, you can well imagine how I privately feel about Scientology.

Actually as an fundementalist atheist, I think you have fallen victim to the peculiar ailment that afflicts many fundies: inability to distinguish qualitative differences in religion and religious practices other than your own.

But one should not give in to the temptation to discriminate against Scientology, because it opens the door for discrimination against any religion (read: my non-religion, which is the least tolerated in America). This is not a slippery slope; if we discriminate against Scientology we have already arrived at government sponsored religious persecution.

You still frame this in the light of discrimination. The CoS hasn't been denied goods or services from the government. One of their members has only been denied access to a controlled military facility, which is something that is not a right, something that the German military reserves the right to give or refuse as they see fit.

To Cat, and others who maintain that this is not legal discrimination because filming rights are a privilege: You still may not legally discriminate by religion or race. You have no legal right to be served in a privately owned restaurant. You may be refused for any reason at all, unless that reason is because of your race or your religion. The only way to wriggle around this is if you can demonstrate that your race/religion holds an implied danger to those around him(e.g. Al-Queda).

No such danger can be demonstrated for Tom Cruise on his movie set. Not even close.

There is no legal discrimination. Period. There was not a denial of goods or services. Filming on a military base is something you have to ask permission to do, and it can always be denied. You ignore all the very good reasons that a military force has for not wanting a member of a disident group to have access to their secure facilities, so all that's left is to say that it's a good thing you are not (and never will be) in a position to influence military policy.

I guess since the Pope visits the President and so does the Queen Elizabeth II (head of the Church of England) that means that David Miscavige must be allowed to go to the White House and meet with the President also, and must be allowed access to the White House.

Otherwise it's discrimination?

This is your logic, dude. It's bad.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would simialrly discriminate against mobsters, extortionists and con men

even if they started calling themselves a religion.

oh wait...

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    Nothing was good in Minority Report. Stop lying.

I like the moral conundrum angle but I didn't feel like it was in the foreground enough. It devolved into a chase movie a little too quickly.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace