As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EQ] Free EverQuest Classic Server - It's Good To Be Back

1404142434446»

• JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    Doesn't SOE still maintain a few cycling "classic" servers? I suppose free is the price most people are only willing to pay for EQ1 these days though right ;D

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I don't know if anyone is still playing on P99 here, possibly a few spread out. I had a 48 enchanter long ago, can't remember my account name or password so I started a new account.

Currently grinding it out solo with no guild yet. If anyone has quit and has no use for their items I could use anything, I have some TF2 Hats if you want to exchange. Not looking forward to this long grind with so few on at night.

There's usually 400ish people on late nights, but the real problem with P99 right now is the lack of new players. Too much of the playerbase is 50+ and if you're trying to group up at lower levels it can be a real pain to find other people.

I'm still on, mostly as Sindarin, my necro. I have a couple spare items in the bank for any lowbies that need it.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    I started playing this again after stopping sometime last year. I'm an altaholic but usually online with my Shaman, Gulth.

I agree with Ares in that a majority of the playerbase is 50+. I have been able to get groups with lower levels character, just not to the same frequency as year ago. Also lower level groups seem to avoid the dungeons now.

• nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    so what's the best way to get involved with this if one doesn't have Titanium? There isn't much on amazon or ebay for under $40.

camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2011
    oops double post

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2011
    Hey it's me again! Where is a good place to look for starting advice? Assume no prior knowledge of EQ, since its been about 11-12 years since i've played it.

EDIT: alright I've made a barbarain warrior named Kjull. Right now I'm struggling just outside of Halas. Anyone care to lend a hand?

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • tdewey10tdewey10 Registered User regular
    JediNight wrote:
    Doesn't SOE still maintain a few cycling "classic" servers? I suppose free is the price most people are only willing to pay for EQ1 these days though right ;D

There are two PC side progression servers (Fippy/Vulak) that started in Feb. Fippy is just about to enter Velious, while Vulak is still in Kunark. They should both be through Luclin and into Planes of Power inside of six months (and probably sooner) and then into the post-PoP expansions a few months after that. PoP is about it for 'classic' (and some would argue Velious is it for classic ;-) ).

The only perma-'classic' server is the Mac server (EQ Mac) which is limited to Planes of Power.

The progression servers are not true classics in that they have a lot of global changes (fast OOC regen, spells every level, increased SK HT damage and monk fists, a bunch of new zones in the old world etc, it's a long list). The Mac servers are the closest to classic you'll get at SOE (slow regen, original spell progression, old zones in the old world, etc, it's a long list).

The progression servers were extremely crowded at release but have freed up a bit but are still populated and its still relatively easy to find a group at all but the lowest levels. The Mac server is very low population but has a very nice community easy to get twinked but impossible to find a group sub 60's unless you've set them up on the eqmac board previously (to put it another way LFG is not a useful tool sub 60's).

Anyway, they are different experience if you're just looking to relive Velious (or Kunark) for a month or two I'd hit the PC progression servers. If you're looking for a true classic experience for a year or two I'd build a hackintosh or buy a cheap emac 1.42ghz and play EQMac. If you already own a new Mac be aware that EQMac doesn't run on Lion but they are working on recompiling the source into a universal binary.

Hey it's me again! Where is a good place to look for starting advice? Assume no prior knowledge of EQ, since its been about 11-12 years since i've played it.

EDIT: alright I've made a barbarain warrior named Kjull. Right now I'm struggling just outside of Halas. Anyone care to lend a hand?

You can find the old eqatlas maps, on the eqmacwiki. That might be a start since Halas is a little confusing.

tdewey10 wrote:

You can find the old eqatlas maps, on the eqmacwiki. That might be a start since Halas is a little confusing.

right on, thanks. Is the guild still active? Also, when are people usually on? I can't for the life of me find a fucking group.

camo_sig2.png
    tdewey10 wrote:

right on, thanks. Is the guild still active? Also, when are people usually on? I can't for the life of me find a fucking group.

AFAIK, P99 is declining in pop and is very top heavy. There's a semi-new red PvP free EQ server (google it) that AFAIK, actually has low-level peeps to group with (as I understand it a bunch of peeps moved from p99 to the red server).

That said, my advice is If you want to enjoy classic-ish EQ from the get-go your best bet is plunk down $ for SOE's progression servers (where you will be able to find groups though maybe not until you get to the teens).

Alternatively, if you want almost classic EQ and don't mind soloing a lot until you get to your 50's-60's plunk down $ for SOE's EQMac. Just be sure to read up on the server before you join - there's some serverwide channels that you need to be on if you want to get twinked. The EQMac server has been around for almost eight years now and is not going anywhere and the progression servers will run for years before merging into one of the current code base servers, so your toons won't be going anywhere if you just want to play a few months here and there. With the emu servers you just never know what's going to happen.

GL

• TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    I have some spare bronze you can have. I've seen a group at the orc camp in East Commons in the past week. Not sure how it is around Qeynos.

• MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    I reinstalled this on a whim, don't know how much I will play but send Rabadar a tell if you want to mess around if I'm on. If anyone is still playing that is ;)

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I was excited for the EQMac, but then I read the "no on Lion".

Any idea when that's supposed to be up and going?

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I decided to give this a try.

I am Ryske, please send me a tell.

Still trying to work out some compatibility issues...

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Semi-necro since no one seems to have posted about the PvP server.

Project 1999 launched their PvP server late last month. It's like the PvE server, except you can kill other players. It's a red server, but with coin loot only. If anyone decides to join, feel free to search me out. Character's name is Bollio, currently a level 5 dwarf rogue.

In related EQ musings, is there a way to create a fairly faithful EQ-PoP server and make myself invulnerable or super powerful? Basically, I've had an urge lately to explore all of those zones I never got to explore during my time playing but don't want to make the massive time and money investment in making a new live account and gearing up a character to do so. So EQEmu seems like the most viable option, but my Google-fu is pretty weak in finding answers on how to go about satiating my desire.

steam_sig.png
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Anyone find it weird that this hasn't gone F2P? I mean, it's sequel has... I know I'd rather load up my old Ogre Shadow Knight here than in EQ2. Bonus points if it lets me use the old fat models.

• TyrithmorgothTyrithmorgoth Registered User new member
    So Im planning on rolling a Monk on your beutiful emu server. I played eq from release for about 6 years, then stopped. I remember how difficult this game was, though I do not remember how to play it as it has been six years or so since I have. My email addy is quanyin23@gmail.com if anyone is low level and wants to group a bit give me a yell. Do not know how often Ill be on kinda depends on how good or bad the nostalgia kicks in. =)

• Mr. SunshineMr. Sunshine BostonRegistered User new member
    Just started this up with a few buddies, sadly they're all on different continents atm. If anyone feels like grouping up with a lowbie enchanter (Dictator) feel free to hit me up. Usually on most nights mucking about in Nektulos.

• BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    I figured I'd pop my head in here again and see how many people are actively playing.
    I still get serious nostalgia kicks for EQ1, but every time I try to get back into it, I never manage to find any people to play with steadily, and the nostalgia fades as I recall my last years on the Live servers, standing in MPG & RS, LFG for hours & hours.

I'm trying to get back in on the Project 1999 server, if anyone is looking for a partner or extra group member, I can log in my old 18 Rogue, 11 Druid or start anew. I tend to game late at night after work, Post-Midnight, EST.

Let me know!

BTW - Does anyone know if the Racial/Class XP Penalties are still in effect? I noticed the server said Kunark now, and I can't recall when those were removed. Thanks!

• FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    Bloodshed wrote:
    I figured I'd pop my head in here again and see how many people are actively playing.
    I still get serious nostalgia kicks for EQ1, but every time I try to get back into it, I never manage to find any people to play with steadily, and the nostalgia fades as I recall my last years on the Live servers, standing in MPG & RS, LFG for hours & hours.

I'm trying to get back in on the Project 1999 server, if anyone is looking for a partner or extra group member, I can log in my old 18 Rogue, 11 Druid or start anew. I tend to game late at night after work, Post-Midnight, EST.

Let me know!

BTW - Does anyone know if the Racial/Class XP Penalties are still in effect? I noticed the server said Kunark now, and I can't recall when those were removed. Thanks!

I'm not playing but I can't help but glance at the p99 forums/site every now and again. The exp penalties drop (class based only IIRC) sometime during Velious. I really wish they had a fresh PvE server.

• BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    Well, I was on my Druid for a bit today in EC at Orc 1, having fun and running like hell from Lord Shin Ree. Good times. Dinged lvl 12, wewt, go go Nostalgia. Quite a bit of twinking going on, but that's really no surprise.

• ThorinoakenThorinoaken Registered User new member
    Thank you all for this wonderful thread! I absolutely loved this game. Although I am still a gamer now and now into my 30's, I don't game much and I know that in my heart no game will ever compare to this game. I enjoyed reading through parts of the thread and was overwhelmed with a feeling of nostalgia and a reminder of friendships in game and out that I associat with this game. I played EQ during some of the most exciting days of my life. I remember firing up the ol' 486, waiting several minutes to logon and zone, crashing way too much lol. Thinking about the game while I was in class or at work, wanting nothing more than to go home and fire it up. Trying to locate my corpse in G-fay, falling into lava pits etc. So many pain in the ass experiences that I absolutely loved! I've never had a game give me anxiety or excitement like this game could. All in an online community with some cool ass people. I can see there are some cool ass people in this thread, thank you again!

I started playing today and just dinked around for about an hour. I was reminded how difficult this game is in the beginning lol. Took me about 20 minutes just to find my guild leader to get my tunic. I am going to consider what class I want to start and will hope to make some new friends once I settle on the name and class. Recommendations for servers?

Is anyone still playing?

@Thorinoaken

Still sort of playing. It didn't take me long to get bored on P1999. The community seems even smaller than before. Half the time I was LFG I was watching someone Power Level a friend/guildmate. I drifted over to another EQEmu server, just to check it out for the first time. Aptly named EZ Server. The focus seems mostly on getting leveled rapidly and getting right to the Raiding.

Perhaps not much for nostalgia, but certainly worth a look for fun. I doubt I'll stick with it, but it could be fun to see some of the raid content I never saw on Live.

Yeah i hear you, the first zone I was in was very buggy. I'm running the ol' dual core so I may be experiencing some of those issues. I think I will play from time to time just for the helluvit, I tried some of the other custom servers that were pretty neat too.

I was killing bats in kelethin and some dude gave me some clothes to wear lol. Its weird getting stuff that is so old school. 2 ac gloves n stuff haha. The servers are up to 500 or so people on the proj99 one anyways. Seems to be some players from 1-5 which is cool. I really want to go to crushbone BAD!

• BrackhirBrackhir Registered User new member
    I'm looking to get back into the game. What server is good to get a group with lower level char. I'm on most evenings EST. Hey Thorinoaken, I've made a character on Drinal his name is Brack send me a tell and we can group he is 7 now. drakkin ranger.

Really hoping to find some people who would like to game on a regular basis. I can't get on about 7 days out of a 2week period on a regular basis from 6pm to 5am. If anyone who wants to get something going please send me a message or post on here. I really love the playing and grouping of everquest over other games. Hope to here from some people. Also if anyone is on the drinal server send Brack a tell.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So I don't know if this has been mentioned but EQ1 is going free to play.

Seems pretty gimped though.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Yeah, when I read this I was excited. Then I saw the classes available. How is that the way to draw players for a 13 year old game?

What server is everyone playing on?

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    So I just got this E-mail.
    SonyOnline wrote:
    On March 16th, EverQuest was converted to a free-to-play game model. As part of that transition your EverQuest account was upgraded to Silver Membership with access to game content through House of Thule. For more information please visit the EverQuest website.

I'm not interested anymore, but I'm a tad curious what my Human Necro is now. I think I logged out for the last time in the bank on Lucan's underground city.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
This discussion has been closed.