As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is this what the aliens do for fun? At least they're not playing XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    smof wrote:
    I'm tempted to get this, but if my performance in the original is anything to go by everybody will always die or go mad on the first mission, so it might be kind of a waste of money.

What are you talking about

That's the whole point

To get your squad offed by aliens or turned into one of them

Or am I missing something here

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    I don't think you are, I always enjoyed the meta game of placing my squad in the worst possible situations and watching the failure unfold.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    You all play the original waaay different to me.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Well not everyone can be the very embodiment of tactical alien slaughter Fishman.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    OH

MY

GODS

Someone has heard my prayers. And it only took 'em like 15 years.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Let me guess, you play it the way it was intended? ;)

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    You're supposed to die in X-Com

You're supposed to fail

and cry

and bleed

and be kept up at night

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    So, hey, in related news did everyone see the Steam Daily Deal today?

X-Com Complete for less than a fiver.

X-Com Apocalypse has never ran on any computer I owned ever

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I would be more hesitant about this remake if it wasn't Firaxis making it, I think.

That company is about as oldschool as you could ask for, I think.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote:
    Producers who shoehorn obvious PC titles into console ports will be the first to die when my people rule the globe.

but turn based strategy works perfectly fine on a console.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    TheStig wrote:
    Jasconius wrote:
    Producers who shoehorn obvious PC titles into console ports will be the first to die when my people rule the globe.

but turn based strategy works perfectly fine on a console.

the penalty is DEATH

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote:
    You're supposed to die in X-Com

You're supposed to fail

and cry

and bleed

and be kept up at night

And eventually, where giants have fallen, you will triumph.

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote:

I'm an odd customer because Apocalypse was one of my favourites, despite all the cut features and broken promises

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    I think I could see the joy in the game if it could operate.

But usually I have total color inversion and the screen will blank out for long periods of time.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote:
    Apparently, this is coming out for PC, 360 and PS3.

Huh.

oh no, they figured out they make a lot more money by doing a multi-platform release
    Just to clarify, that was "huh" as in, "well, whaddya know."
    Not "huh?' as in, "what are they thinking?"

I would love for this to succeed, and the more platforms/players, the better.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Apocalypse wasn't bad. It had some great elements (Raids and the like), but nothing has come close to the kind of time I spend with UFO Defense.

Except maybe Civilization.

Oh god, Firaxis, how am I going to survive this?

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    fuck yes

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote:

I'm an odd customer because Apocalypse was one of my favourites, despite all the cut features and broken promises

Teach me how to play this game.

i want to play it.

But i can't figure out HOW.I look at the UI and go "Welp!"

I've beaten both UFO Defence and Terror Fromt he Deep on hard difficulties, but i don't understand this game.

Also can i call dibs on let's plays? Cause man, I am getting this game.

Melding wrote:
    Also can i call dibs on let's plays? Cause man, I am getting this game.

Yes, yes you can.

I will not be doing an LP because I want to finish the game before 2016.

Awesome. Awesome to the Max.

Hopefully my plan of not using armour until i have to comes in handy.

it works out in the normal one. since rifles defeat personal armour, and they're already rolling out heavy plasma by the time you research power suits, armour just becomes a liability.

It's like, i just used irreplaceable resources to make sure that guy doesn't die, and then a rogue sniper shot took his head off? What the fuck? Fuck armour. Until flight suits. which are largely there for mobility.

@Edcrab

Seriously teach me how to play X-Com Apocalypse. I have spent hours trying to figure it out and i can't do anything.

It's been years! Have you maybe dug up an LP on YouTube or something? If you're seriously having that much trouble, there might be a major bug or similar

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Well, the game doesn't explain how i do things.

I get like UFO SIGHTED!

But then i can't like send things to go get it, and then it tells me a building has something but doesn't get me a indicator of which building, but then i sometimes figure out and send agents there and then nothing happens.

So i just get dejected and load up terror from the deep and beat up so lobstermen.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Melding wrote:

it works out in the normal one. since rifles defeat personal armour, and they're already rolling out heavy plasma by the time you research power suits, armour just becomes a liability.

It's like, i just used irreplaceable resources to make sure that guy doesn't die, and then a rogue sniper shot took his head off? What the fuck? Fuck armour. Until flight suits. which are largely there for mobility.

Basic armor is a totally replaceable resource. Costs more than troopers, but it does good.

It all has to do with how damage works in X-Com. It's not a set number, it's a roll of the dice. From zero to twice the listed power of the weapon.

So, even against heavy plasma, armor increases your survival odds a nice, healthy 16 percent. Power armor does even better at 38%. In fact, assuming a max health trooper, power armor gives you about 70% odds of surviving a plasma bolt, versus about 70% odds of death without any armor.

When considering lower power fire, the difference is larger still. A full health soldier has about 5 in 160 odds of being killed from a frontal attack with a plasma rifle in power armor, and 0% odds of being killed in one shot with a plasma pistol.

Then there's grenades. A 30 health soldier in power armor has about a fifty fifty shot of surviving grenades at point blank. Two squares out, he's pretty much golden.

Without?

0% odds of survival. He'd be better off playing Russian roulette with his automatic.

X-Com is generally a numbers game. You aren't ever safe. You're just less unsafe. Armor makes you much less unsafe.

As for Apoc, have you tried reading the manual? I had similar trouble. You seem to be off to a good start since you know how to load cars and go to alien infestation sites.

For UFOs showing up, pause, click on one of your hoverbikes (and a bunch of others. Alright, or some other attack vehicles) and right click a UFO. Then resume time. They should home in on the target and rip it up.

And a tip.

SELL EVERY GROUND VEHICLE. They're worse than worthless. Use the money to buy kickass hoverbikes. They're like Kaneda's bike, but HOVER.

chiasaur11 on
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Melding wrote:

Basic armor is a totally replaceable resource. Costs more than troopers, but it does good.

It all has to do with how damage works in X-Com. It's not a set number, it's a roll of the dice. From zero to twice the listed power of the weapon.

So, even against heavy plasma, armor increases your survival odds a nice, healthy 16 percent. Power armor does even better at 38%. In fact, assuming a max health trooper, power armor gives you about 70% odds of surviving a plasma bolt, versus about 70% odds of death without any armor.

When considering lower power fire, the difference is larger still. A full health soldier has about 5 in 160 odds of being killed from a frontal attack with a plasma rifle in power armor, and 0% odds of being killed in one shot with a plasma pistol.

Then there's grenades. A 30 health soldier in power armor has about a fifty fifty shot of surviving grenades at point blank. Two squares out, he's pretty much golden.

Without?

0% odds of survival. He'd be better off playing Russian roulette with his automatic.

X-Com is generally a numbers game. You aren't ever safe. You're just less unsafe. Armor makes you much less unsafe.

Yeah, but, 16% survival isn't worth the investment to me. I generally survive on good tactics. I play on Genius and am averaging a loss of two troopers per mission.Granted, this might start costing me more in the end, but it's not like i never roll out armour, it is just I'm often busy in other area.

Plus i always forget about the hyper wave decoder so i have to send a bunch of rookies to get the navigator and eh.

Basically i tend to just skip personal armour and then give officers and Sergeants Power armour and then flight armour. If a rookie can survive long enough to make it that far, they're doing something right.

• WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    Oh my God I can't handle this news

XStly.jpg
    I need 4ccs of cynicism, stat! Wiet is about to overdose on JOY

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Wiet wrote: »
    Oh my God I can't handle this news

It'll probably just be a story mode and have limited scope.

as well, they will modernize all the designs so it will look hells of generic.

• WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    X-Com Apocalypse is the one with a real time mode right? The one that makes this sort of scenario happen?

http://i.imgur.com/FGDJf.gif

XStly.jpg
    edited January 2012
    Edcrab wrote:
    I need 4ccs of cynicism, stat! Wiet is about to overdose on JOY

Don't worry, we stocked up when the FPS was announced.

Do you want "More like Biosuck!" or "LOL consoles"?

Yup. That's Apoc.

It's pretty cool.

And Melding, you have Util, right? Just making sure the difficulty thing is working.

chiasaur11 on
    I have the steam version. pretty sure they fixed that.

the troop numbers are right.

I don't accept any "don't use armor until you have to strategy"

because I have seen what pumped up high ranking soldiers can do.

8 captains/commanders can dominate TFTD for a looooooong time.

edited January 2012
    Melding wrote:

I've got bad news. They didn't.

Terror does have fixed difficulty, though. Which is good.

chiasaur11 on
    I'm just going by the x-com wiki, where they claimed they fixed that.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Yeah, what's the official stance on the X-com difficulties on the Steam version? Am I as badass as I think I am or..?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Melding wrote:

I've got bad news. They didn't.

Terror does have fixed difficulty, though. Which is good.

I actually beat that one first. without M.C control to boot. was rather proud of that. cause i was getting into it in ufo defence and it just made everything a push over.

Melding wrote:
    I'm just going by the x-com wiki, where they claimed they fixed that.

Well, as much as I respect the wiki, they're wrong. I tried a superhuman run on UFO defense.

First (night) mission, one sectoid tore my troops apart.

Every other mission was easy. Then I ran the numbers for kills, and confirmed that it had shifted back to beginner.

Hex editing can fix it, though. Just remember Superhuman will be much, much worse.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    So who owns the rights to the XCOM franchise now? I assumed 2K had bought them out.

Flay on
This discussion has been closed.