As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A 'Game Design/creation' forum?

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
I really think we should have a forum where game creation can be discussed. It would be a lot easier and organised than having 'I need a programmer' threads pop up every few days in the G+T forum, plus we could have stickes that imform people of general rules and tips in tersm of finding team-members, getting organised, programming, sprite creation, etc.

I think this would be a great idea as a lot of forumers are obviously into videogames, programming, art, design, writing, etc and we could have many collaborative, organised projects. Instead of people posting in the AC if they need an artist or G+T for a programmer, those people can simply look at a sticky entitled 'artists/programmers avialble'. Willing artists/programmers can put their names down here and their area of work (programming in Game-maker, sprite animation, etc) and people looking for these types of people can look at these and PM those people instead of making the afformentioned threads all over the forums.

That's just a few ideas but I think this is a valid idea

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    Not an official response, but I think that it would be largely empty, or worse, largely useless -- full of 'lawl do work for me' threads.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2006
    I really don't think this is necessary. Aside from anything else, those projects never get off the ground.

Tube on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I mirror the mod's responses, mainly because we never got a Tabletop/Wargame/etc. board, which, no offense, is I think more warrented than Game Design.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2006
    Those never get off the ground either. Once G&T can sustain a thread about a P&P game, with people playing for more than six months, we can think about a P&P forum.

Tube on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Good points.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    This is just about the most superfluous request for a new forum I've ever seen.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I want a separate forum for the mods to hang out in.

But it has to be invisible.

Brolo on
  • Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I think EE should come back, since there are sometimes things to randomly talk about but stay on topic. But not as serious as D&D, and not as off topic as SE. Just my idea, but it most likely won't happen.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Rolo wrote:
    I want a separate forum for the mods to hang out in.

But it has to be invisible.

You rang?

If they wouldn't make a Tabletop Subforum, what chance does this have?

Invisible on
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    GiantRobo wrote:
    I think EE should come back, since there are sometimes things to randomly talk about but stay on topic. But not as serious as D&D, and not as off topic as SE. Just my idea, but it most likely won't happen.

EE is D&D. It didn't go anywhere, it just got a name change.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Couldn't game design stuff go in the Artist's Corner?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    GiantRobo wrote:

EE is D&D. It didn't go anywhere, it just got a name change.
    Meh, that's what I get for going on a hiatus for a while.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Those never get off the ground either. Once G&T can sustain a thread about a P&P game, with people playing for more than six months, we can think about a P&P forum.
    I thought we wanted that forum to discuss that stuff, not to awkwardly play games.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    No, because they can't tell you to put it on your mom's fridge.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Henroid wrote:
    Game design is fine in G&T. WE get about one thread on it per month and it usually gets about five sarcastic replies before it drops off the first page and is neevr seen again. The current one is just an exception for some reason.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:

Oh hey now, I haven't told you guys my plan for a knitting forum yet!

I think the AC suggestion could be a good one, although I'd want to hear from the AC mods about it first. I've heard some rumblings about things being a bit dead in there lately, and perhaps expanding the forum's, you know, thingy into other areas of art/design would be a good move.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Game design is fine in G&T. WE get about one thread on it per month and it usually gets about five sarcastic replies before it drops off the first page and is neevr seen again. The current one is just an exception for some reason.
    We had a huge project set a couple of years ago and managed to work up a mailing list and have a couple of meetings.

Then it died. Like, over a weekend it just stopped. People lack dedication. There was only one forumer-made project that camet o be, and it was the fruit-fucker FPS.

Henroid on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    The Cat wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:

Oh hey now, I haven't told you guys my plan for a knitting forum yet!

I think the AC suggestion could be a good one, although I'd want to hear from the AC mods about it first. I've heard some rumblings about things being a bit dead in there lately, and perhaps expanding the forum's, you know, thingy into other areas of art/design would be a good move.
    expanding thingies are what this forum does best.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Henroid wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    We had a huge project set a couple of years ago and managed to work up a mailing list and have a couple of meetings.

Then it died. Like, over a weekend it just stopped. People lack dedication. There was only one forumer-made project that camet o be, and it was the fruit-fucker FPS.
    Yep, I still have bitter memories of the "lets design an RPG" project. Bitter fucknig memories. Although I'd like to try again, as I'm a glutton ofr punishment.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    I thought we wanted that forum to discuss that stuff, not to awkwardly play games.

Yeah, Echo said there wouldn't be much interest because there were only 3 such topics, but I pointed out that, at the time, there were 9 topics.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2006
    I demand a forum where we can freely discuss, in a serious and rational matter, cocks dicks and lol.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    I demand a forum where we can freely discuss, in a serious and rational matter, cocks dicks and lol.

Social Entropy ++ wants you.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Here's an idea: How about a forum about games that are not video or are being created? I mean, sure, tabletop and P&P might not fill a forum on its own, and crazy design ideas might not fill a forum on its own, but together, both working at full capacity, I think they just might do the work of one normal forum.

yalborap on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2006

Ooh, thanks!

Should I just drop in and say "Hi! I'm new here. I like Penny Arcaed and Gabe and Tycho are rad and Gabe should draw pictures of Green Lanten because he is awesome and one time he was a alien"?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006

Ooh, thanks!

Should I just drop in and say "Hi! I'm new here. I like Penny Arcaed and Gabe and Tycho are rad and Gabe should draw pictures of Green Lanten because he is awesome and one time he was a alien"?

We will enjoy seeing that post.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'm just struggling to see why you need this new forum, and how it's not just "we demand recognition!". Is the current situation actually causing real problems for either the people trying to discuss this stuff or G&T as a whole?

Toast on
  • Options
    Carl with a KCarl with a K Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    i want a forum all for myself

just me

(noone else)

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    i want a forum all for myself

just me

(noone else)

Write yourself a letter. Problem solved.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Joeslop wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:

Yeah, Echo said there wouldn't be much interest because there were only 3 such topics, but I pointed out that, at the time, there were 9 topics.
    Generally it is just three threads though. A boardgame one, a warhammer one and an RPG one. Saying that splitting them down wouldn't really work in G&T (I imagine a thread specially about something such as Iron Heroes or Icetower games would just vanish instantly from the frist page and never see a single post).
    Either way, I'm not trying to start the argument about getting this forum again. I'm just a bit curious as to what the other six threads were.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Joeslop wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:

Generally it is just three threads though. A boardgame one, a warhammer one and an RPG one. Saying that splitting them down wouldn't really work in G&T (I imagine a thread specially about something such as Iron Heroes or Icetower games would just vanish instantly from the frist page and never see a single post).
    Either way, I'm not trying to start the argument about getting this forum again. I'm just a bit curious as to what the other six threads were.

They're all gone now, so I don't remember. There were two or three RPG threads, warhammer, warmaster, boardgames.

Joeslop on