As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fangled new technology

marty_0001marty_0001 I am a fileand you put documents in meRegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I finally bought a new monitor. Thought it was about time to ditch my faithful old 15" CRT, and am now the proud owner of a 19" widescreen Acer.

My only problem with it is playing games. Older games (I only just picked up KOTOR 1) don't have widescreen support, so the image is stretched. Is there any software I can get that forces the screen back to 4:3, and just puts black bars on the sides?

I've tried googling this but haven't had any luck.

I also tried to get games to open in a window mode (thinking I would just resize the window manually), but adding " -window" to the end of the target doesn't seem to have any effect.

Many thanks

marty_0001 on

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
  • Options
    RevolutionaryRevolutionary Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Shouldn't there be some buttons on your monitor to configure that?

You might just have to toggle them around whenever necessary.

Revolutionary on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Shouldn't there be some buttons on your monitor to configure that?

You might just have to toggle them around whenever necessary.

I thought there should be but unfortunately not.

Thanks Deusfaux! I had searched the forums but didn't find this...

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This might seem really n00b-ish, but make sure you have the latest drivers, from your card company or omegadrivers.net if you're a little more adventurous.

Try putting your resolution to a non-widescreen one. That might work.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It kind of depends. ATI (AMD)'s vanilla drivers won't let you do this, unless you're on a laptop or something. It's a little annoying. Omega might but I've never tried those. nVidia is a whole different thing, and I don't own one of those so I haven't tried any of that either. What's your 3d card?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's a nVidia 7600GT. When I open up the card's control panel, there's actually a Help function, saying that I should click so-and-so to prevent my LCD from scaling. But there is no so-and-so! It's lying to me! I will contact nVidia, they've been pretty handy with customer support in the past.

I do have the latest drivers, but no luck. Lower resolutions still stretch to fill the monitor.

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There should be a "Maintain Aspect Ratio" or something similar somewhere. You want that.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    A lot of older games like KOTOR and others are NOT widescreen friendly, sucks I know... I tried to get KOTOR running in widescreen and it didn't work. Below is an excellent site for support on widescreen gaming. Good luck.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com

Good news is that newer games are all now supporting widescreen. In order for the PC game to get the 'games for Windows' sticker on the box it has to support widescreen.

LondonBridge on