As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There is neither an "Abby" in this show, nor is it anywhere near "Downtown"

Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of KafiristanRegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in Social Entropy++
As an American-- or "colonial commoner" as the vernacular goes-- I am a bit behind what might be the great English import to the States since emotional repression. I am, of course, talking about Downton Abbey.

downtonabbeywallpaper.png

The United Kingdom decided to make its version of The Wire so, naturally, it involves rich nobles involved in the intricacies of property rights and poor people attempting to deal with their budding humanity. While I'm no expert on the people from which I take my surname, I am fairly certain that Downton Abbey is either a perfect representation of that island's spirit or it bloody well should be, because Downton Abbey is, as one Jesse Thorn might say "The best show."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M3moEeErr8
Is that the best we can do for ads? Really? Aw, whatever.

What is this Downton Abbey you speak of, old boy?

I'm glad you asked in a polite way, dear peasant, because like the advent of the telephone and the light bulbs, I want to make enliven your simple existence. Downton Abbey begins with the sinking of the Titanic. The heir to the titular estate dies in the tragedy-- and the fiance to the occupants' eldest daughter-- dies as a result. Due to a variety of opaque laws the ownership of the home is in flux, as well as all of its occupants, from lady and lord to that gay shithead* that keeps on stringing along that simpleton Daisy. Poor, poor Daisy, she needs to stand up for herself. . . Anyways, the next heir to the abbey shows up and he's what you would call "not especially entitled" in that he has a job and his dad was a doctor (how gauche) and his mom gave birth to Shaun of the Dead. In short it's fundamentally a drama of repression. There is no cussing, there are no tits, there are relatively few murders, it's simply a show about people attempting to not be worse off than they are now and feeling terrible about it.

Also-- hey-- you might recognize the eldest daughter of the Abbey as the gal what gets her neck snapped in the Hannah trailer. Let's watch, shall we?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj6zCJyTq2I
Seriously, Hanna is a fucking goddamn good movie.

Between the superb acting and the excellent writing there exists an excellent television program that has managed to pull me in despite the fact that it plays on a station that exclusively plays Antiques Roadshow and Huell Howser visiting avocado groves. And as imperfect as the writing may be (I get it, those clouds on the horizon are a metaphor for the terrors of electricity and women having a say in things and this business of biffing the Boche) and as "posh" (that's the right word, right?) as the whole thing might be, the end results are a period drama with all of its trappings-- great costumes, wonderful sets, bizarre colloquialisms-- that manages to be enjoyable on a human level. It's funny. It's romantic. There's intriguing. And as much as it's wrapped around these sort of irrelevant issues (Have you ever had to worry about the rights to your estate? Also: Do you have an estate and or rights?)

Also, I guess it won a bunch of Emmys or some such nonsense. I guess that's cool.

Tonight (the 2nd of January in the year of Our Lord 2012) my local PBS station broadcasted a marathon of the entire first season. Next week they are going to premiere the second season in America and I am jazzed as hell, even though it will be playing opposite the second part of a Foyle's War episode. Then again Downton Abbey never made the mistake of casting Danny feckin' Dyer in one of their episodes.

If you haven't heard of or watched this show yet, you really need to. My reference to it being the British version of The Wire is only a half joke, because despite Downton Abbey's much shorter length, they're both compelling and grounded dramas about segments of human beings we are almost certainly without any relation to. If a drama can make that compelling than it must be doing something right.

Now-- Observations about Season 1 (or, ugh, Series 1)--
1) Sybil > Edith > Mary
2) If that Irish chauffeur isn't killed by Cillian Murphy in a bog somewhere he's never going to see what hits him.
3) Is a more noble or kissable man in all of the world than Mr. Bates?
4) Seriously, what the fuck is a Tory? It's a kind of Italian pastry, right?
5) Maggie Smith should be our queen. I say this as an American. She should be everyone's queen. Forever.
6) Let us all pray for a Boardwalk Empire/Downton Abbey crossover. Let's also pray for less incest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKCnHWas3HQ&feature=youtu.be

Let's rap about Downton Abbey, yeah?

*By which I mean, he's literally both a homosexual and a shithead, with one having no bearing on the other. Plus I can't remember his name and I feel that's a pretty succinct appraisal of who is that guy.

Penguin Incarnate on

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'm sure my mum would be happy to chat about this. I'll see if I can get her to sign up.

(Actually, I only caught the most recent Christmas special and it was all quite engaging.)

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    it just means 'conservative'

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Aaah the first series/season was so good

and the second was so bad (or maybe it was that I finally saw past all the gloss to its inadequacies)

But never mind, it is still entertaining! Mostly thanks to some of the performances.
    Now-- Observations about Season 1 (or, ugh, Series 1)--
    1) Sybil > Edith > Mary

I'd swap Edith and Mary around, and actually Sybil falls in my estimation in series 2, but pretty much. Edith has a really odd story in the first couple of eps of series 2, but then begins to come into her own.
    5) Maggie Smith should be our queen. I say this as an American. She should be everyone's queen. Forever.

Yes. Yes.

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Watching Edith made me realize that I have a very specific weakness for hateful redheads with adorable hooknoses. It is a blindspot I just learned of and I don't know what it means.

That's a shame hearing about the second season. Maybe it'll be like The Wire's second season where everyone thinks they hate it at first because it's about dock workers and shit instead of the projects and almost everything is going to come up lacking when you compare it to the more perfect version of itself.

I really am only half joking about these Wire comparisons.

• Options
    AeollasAeollas Registered User regular
    Yes yes more Downton Abbey talk! Is the 2nd season really? that bad? I hope not :(

The setpieces and castle itself are such a compelling member of the cast itself imo

And why must the gay butler also be the gay shithead, dangit BBC

• Options
    I just made the mistake of reading up on the Christmas Special on wikipedia. Having not seen any of the second season, this was a bad bad idea.

Terrible idea.
    And why must the gay butler also be the gay shithead, dangit BBC
    Well, it's ITV, which I think is a commercial network, technically. And as I was writing the OP I realized that the only character of color is a shithead and so is the only (confirmed) homosexual. That's kind of crappy. Then I rationalized that considering all of the straight white people that are awful, it hardly pays to be that way, either. If the show was a bad show then I think it might be accused of something.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Just started watching this show (2 episodes in), pretty great so far, though after the first episode I was like "Man, I hate almost all of those people." I'll have to come back and read this thread when I'm done catching up.

• Options
    The second season didn't develop much! Considering the whole cast went through WW1, very little actually happened.

My main problems with it were:

a) lack of character development. In episode 2 of series 2 some fun things start to happen, especially with Edith and Thomas (whose character in that episode improves dramatically!). By episode 3, PFF! Everything's back to how it was with those characters in series 1. Edith becomes a definite background character and Thomas becomes the stereotypical bad guy. It was as if the episodes had different writers who had not consulted each other at all - even though they had the same writer!

b) considering WW1 happens, and considering the series spans 6 years, relatively little happens to anyone. Yes, a couple of people die, but they were the two people you could predict died in episode 1. That was the other thing - SO PREDICTABLE. Not necessarily a bad thing in itself, but the quality of the writing wasn't quite enough to compensate for it.

• Options
    AeollasAeollas Registered User regular
    Oh yes totally, the abundance of awful people is part of the draw!

• Options
    ScolbertScolbert Registered User regular
    british tv thread tell me if black mirror is good or not

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I adore this show. I feel much the same way @Janson does about the second season, but it doesn't stop me from loving the SHIT out of this show.

The Christmas special was very much a case of giving the fans what they wanted, but I feel like it made up for all of season 2's shortcomings all the same.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i find posters that are just a bunch of photos of people resized to fake depth really weird and off putting sometimes. those people are not in perspective what are you even doing

anyways, um. i haven't seen any of this show for myself but i've heard friends talking about it.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Scolbert wrote:

@Gatsby can confirm yes but also that it's scary

• Options
    PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Scolbert wrote:

Quality varied wildly in my opinion. General consensus is that the first one was rather enjoyable if ludicrously dark and aggressive while later ones like 15 million merits were a tad predictable and tame by comparison. But the whole thing had extremely high production values. I think the issue was hosting it on a non-BBC channel, which somewhat hampered exactly how far they could go when it was being used as a source of revenue. Also CHARLIE BROOOKERR YES

Personface on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    wait a british show without a detective or time travel?
    why should i care

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    Patton Oswalt when pretty nuts about this show on Twitter a few days ago, which was pretty entertaining.

I kinda want to talk about Hanna though, since that movie is a pretty good movie. And the trailer is right there in the OP.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    My favourite character on this show is Violet (Maggie Smith), by a longshot, which is not an uncommon choice. Other favourites are Anna, Mr Bates, Sybil, Matthew, and Daisy, but all for wildly different reasons.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    As many people as there are in this show that appear to be awful, they all eventually flourish into something less terrible. It has its villains but characters like the dowager and Mary or whoever else eventually do give way to more interesting things. In most cases even when someone is an asshole, they're that way for a legitimate reason. It's still a melodrama at its core. It isn't a character study or anything, it's just that, again, there's a level of writing and acting involved with even the most unlikable people that gives them a fair shake.

Plus, there's Mr. Bates. Meow.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    if the simpsons taught me anything its that you should kill all wealthy dowagers

• Options
    edited January 2012
    As many people as there are in this show that appear to be awful, they all eventually flourish into something less terrible. It has its villains but characters like the dowager and Mary or whoever else eventually do give way to more interesting things. In most cases even when someone is an asshole, they're that way for a legitimate reason. It's still a melodrama at its core. It isn't a character study or anything, it's just that, again, there's a level of writing and acting involved with even the most unlikable people that gives them a fair shake.

I agree with pretty much all of this. That said, I'd say it's the writing that holds the show up more than the acting. Only Maggie Smith's and Hugh Bonneville's performances are memorable in my mind... the rest are good, but not standout. The writing is what carries most of them through.

I do like Lesley Nicol's performance, too... she just looks so NATURAL as Mrs Patmore it'd be impossible for me to see her as anyone else.

As an additional note on character development... Season 2's character development slows down to focus on the development of a few characters at a time (or at all, depending on who you ask) while turning others into parodies of themselves. You'll have to decide for yourself who is which.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Scolbert wrote:

Some of the best TV of 2011. Last episode was the weakest, but still worth watching.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Hey, I live just a couple of miles away from where this is filmed. Since I don't live in London, this is actually a rare thing for me.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Vivixenne wrote:

I agree with pretty much all of this. That said, I'd say it's the writing that holds the show up more than the acting. Only Maggie Smith's and Hugh Bonneville's performances are memorable in my mind... the rest are good, but not standout. The writing is what carries most of them through.
    I'm not disagreeing with you, I just think that a substandard actor or a less compelling actor could take the role of "Bitter Maid" or "Chaste Maid" or "Suffragette" or whatever and make mince meat of it. I won't say one thing is better than the other, but Downton Abbey has a lot of "Things are changing in this country!" style of lines and if you didn't have a good actor or actress behind it, then it would sound less like a thing someone would say and more like "This is the theme of this show we're in, by Gad, mum, don't you understand it!" (which is of course atrocious grammar, which would only further denigrate the material).

They're both important in this case, I just think it is the choice of actors that elevates what is already pretty good material.

Anyways, Bullseye/The Sound of Young America just released and episode with three of the leads from Downton Abbey (which is, like, the main earl guy and the heir and the blonde maid, yeah?). It is a pretty good interview, all told.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I watched Hanna last night because of this thread, so thanks PI!

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    my mum owns the first two series, I assumed it was just some of the usual bbc period drama nonsense

• Options
    well it kinda is that

but it's very good bbc period drama nonsense

has anyone else watched the Christmas special yet because I want to talk about how much I enjoyed it

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote:
    I watched Hanna last night because of this thread, so thanks PI!
    Then my work here is done.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Alright, so the second season just premiered over here. Two solid hours of Downtonin'. It's a pretty solid premiere and thankfully there hasn't yet been a drop-off. It's still Downton Abbey. There's still lots of frocks and people in hats, but now there's a lot of olive drab and khaki. Also a dude got shot in the head. He got shot in the head because he was lighting a cigarette and he was on television and that's how everyone on earth has ever been shot by a sniper in WWI. I guess he couldn't known that at this point in history.

Though, I have these observations:
    1) What is this bullshit about O'Brien being some sort of a human we should feel sorry for? That can fuck right off.
    2) Poor, poor Mr. Carson.
    3) Poor, poor Mr. Bates.
    4) I feel like this Robert Carlyle guy has killed people before. Personally.
    5) What in the fucking ghost of St. Hubbins in Edith doing? What the fuck is this shit?
    6) Thomas can still go fuck himself.
    7) When will Colonel Blimp appear and make my life complete?
    8) Poor, poor William.
    9) Alright, I've officially had enough of this Irish fella. Sybil is nursing wounded veterans, you jag.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Your post just reminds me that you won't feel any differently towards any of the characters by the end of the season

except Edith

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    So Alan Sepinwall's Twitter just alerted me to Patton Oswalt's live tweeting of this show last night and it was hilarious and now I want to watch this show.

How do I get caught up?

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Is this on Netflix? I'm can't be arsed to click some buttons and find out.

I mean, besides that post reply button. I'll click that one.

• Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    Is this as good as Sherlock?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    @GRMike, they are so completely different you can't possibly begin to compare them!

@Aneurhythmia @Jimothy, the first season is on Netflix

Janson on
  • Options
    Janson wrote:
    Your post just reminds me that you won't feel any differently towards any of the characters by the end of the season

except Edith
    I'm going to love her even more?

• Options
    Yes, in fact.

• Options
    Yes!

Also, @Vivixenne, I finally watched the Christmas special
    I actually felt sympathy for Thomas when he was hunting for Isis!

• Options
    I'm alright if the show is basically in a holding pattern for this season as long as it maintains the level of quality of the first season. I'm here for the dresses, I'm staying for the passive-aggressive/passive-affectionate relationships of everyone involved. Except for fucking Thomas. Fuck that guy.

Also, I just realized that setting the show in WWI during meager times is basically a built-in conceit to cut the budget of the show back. You can literally explain why there's less costumes away by saying, "Oh this war!" I'm not saying they're doing that, but if they wanted to, it'd be a kind of brilliant move to make.

Now if I could only work out a way to watch both this and Foyle's War at the same time, I'd be set.

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    this isnt about arby's at all!

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options