As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of Myths & Monsters, of Brawls & Uprisings: The Kid Icarus Thread

LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in Games and Technology
KIUbanner.jpg

(Bah, lousy Photobucket, shrinking my picture...)

With Kid Icarus Uprising coming out this March, as well the recent release of the original game as a 3D Classic in Europe, I thought maybe it was about time to start one of these bad-boys up. Hence, this all-encompassing Kid Icarus thread.
Kid_Icarus_NES_box_art.png

The original Kid Icarus was first released for the Famicom in Japan at the end of 1986 as "Light Myth: Palthena's Mirror", with North America and Europe getting it in 1987. A sort of "sister series" to Metroid, sharing the same engine and developed at about the same time (with Metroid taking precedence) by R&D1 at Nintendo. The legendary Gunpei Yokoi was the Producer, with Toru Osawa and Yoshio Sakamoto on as designers and Hirokazu Tanaka as the composer.
The story begins in the realm of Angel Land, which is ruled by two goddesses: Palutena, the Goddess of Light, and Medusa, the Goddess of Darkness. Palutena loved the mortals, and would bestow upon them light to help them grow crops and make them happy; Medusa, on the other hand, rather despised the mortals, and took to not only destroying the crops which they'd worked hard to cultivate, but also to turn them to stone.

As you might imagine, Palutena was not pleased, and this is where things start to feel a tad similar to the story in a recent, popular cartoon show. The pissed-off Palutena would proceed to turn Medusa into a single-eyed, snake-haired monster before banishing her to the underworld.

Unfortunately, she probably should have gone with something more remote-- like the moon-- as Medusa managed to gain the loyalty and allegiance of the monsters who dwell beneath. Her army formed, she led the charge against the Palace in the Sky, conquering Palutena's army by turning the Centurions to stone, scattering the Three Sacred Treasures amongst her minions, and imprisoning Palutena within her own home.

In a last, desperate bid, Palutena reached out the former head of her personal guard, Pit, who was now trapped in the Underworld. She used the last of her power to create a magical bow for him to wield against their enemies, and tasked him with retrieving the Three Sacred Treasures so that he may defeat Medusa, ending her tyranny, and freeing Palutena.

Gameplay-wise, Kid Icarus is a platformer, and less a side-scroller than an up-scroller. As Pit seeks to leave the Underworld, he must travel up, up, ever up (as well as off one side of the screen, reappearing on the other). Some later portions do involve actual side-scrolling, and near the end of the game, Pit equips the Three Sacred Treasures-- the Arrow of Light, the Mirror Shield, and the Wings of Pegasus-- and goes through a side-scrolling shooter to face Medusa, who fights from within a large self-effigy of her rather monstrous appearance.

And like Metroid, the ending you receive depends on your performance; despite Pit's subsequent appearances, the best ending sees him become a full-grown adult.

Unfortunately, despite a great setting and wonderful characters, designs, etc., the game is arguably not very good. Many find it a bit too frustrating, though it's said to actually be easier as you go along, and then you can restart with your ending levels/items, making a second run even easier.

If you didn't get to play it, it is currently available on the Wii's Virtual Console. Not only that, but a remake in the 3D Classics line is forthcoming, and has already been released in Europe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9QsLyr2ymE

As with other 3D Classics, there are some tweaks to this one, including a new button configuration which allows for the rapid-firing of arrows, said to ease the difficulty. A group of fans have also created a 16-bit styled "Super Kid Icarus" Flash game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm_D3SO727A

Gotta love the Grim Reaper's screams, if nothing else.

Though not one of Nintendo's top-tier stars, Pit was popular enough to be a regular member of the N-Team in the Captain N: The Game Master cartoon and comic books (where he was known simply as "Kid Icarus," and used a wide-variety of Green Arrow-styled gadget-arrows) and make cameos in other titles.

A sequel, Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, was developed and released for the Game Boy in North America in 1991 and Europe in 1992 (Japan saw no release).
Kid_Icarus_OMM_boxart.png
Built on the same engine as Metroid II: Return of Samus, Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters played largely the same as the original. Unlike the original, however, Pit can move freely in all four directions (including down, which was largely prohibited in the original), though the left-to-right scrolling is continuous in vertically-oriented areas, cycling the screen around instead of having Pit disappear off one side to appear on the other. He can also use his wings to a limited degree to slow his descent during jumps and falls, and has a few extra lives to use as insurance.

The plot sees Palutena experience a nightmare which foreshadows an invasion of Angel Land by the demon Orcos and his followers. Once again, it is up to Pit, the leader of Palutena's army, to enter and overcome three special training grounds where the Three Sacred Treasures are now kept. Orcos does eventually arrive and turn Palutena to stone, but Pit wins the day and restores her to her natural form.

Fast forward to 2008; after a long period of dormancy, his popularity among gamers and Nintendo fans alike finally sees Pit makes his non-Trophy debut in Super Smash Bros. Brawl as a playable character, and one who takes on an early role in the game's Subspace Emissary story mode. He sports a new design, which came together as a result of the developers trying to figure out how he would appear had the character had the chance to evolve as other Nintendo characters had. Palutena is on hand, too, sporting a similar update.

Pit's resurgence strikes a chord with fans, who want to see the Angel Land warrior get his own sequel. Rumors persisted of a Wii game for years, but it would be at E3 2010 that an announcement would finally be made: Pit was coming back (and he's sorry to have kept you waiting), and it would be on the Nintendo 3DS:
480px-Kid_Icarus-Uprising_logo.jpgkidicarus_japan.jpg

America's box art, and Japan's. Oh, Nintendo...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7detDcmMKY

Unlike some rumors of an older, darker, grittier Kid Icarus, Kid Icarus Uprising seems to follow on perfectly from his appearance in Brawl, no doubt thanks to being overseen by Super Smash Bros. Brawl director Masahiro Sakurai. Set a couple of decades after Of Myths and Monsters, Medusa has returned to dispose of the mortals and get revenge upon Palutena and Pit for her previous defeat.

Featuring an unspecified number of chapters (at least eight, probably more), the game plays completely unlike any installment in the series prior. Palutena grants Pit the "Miracle of Flight," which allows him to use his wings to fly to his destination and fend off airborne foes for up to five minutes before they give out and burn up. Steering is controlled by the Circle Pad, while firing is controlled by the left shoulder button, and aiming is controlled by using the stylus to move a targeting reticule. Following that, Pit will land and move about on the ground using similar controls.

The world is expanded upon greatly, with Pit and Palutena holding voiced conversations on the bottom screen, while action takes place at the top. New characters include the mighty human warrior Magnus, who is out to stop the Dark Lord Gaol, who seems to have formed an alliance with Medusa (assuming he doesn't work for her).

This time out, Pit also has access to a ton of weapons-- nine types, ranging from bows to guns, staffs to swords, cannons to claws, and more. And there are plenty of weapons, discovered in chests, to fill out each category. According to Nintendo Power, it's possible to go through the entire game without experiencing them all. Plus, you can customize weapons to your liking and share them via StreetPass, which will give other players a chance to buy your weapon in their own game.

According to NP, "there is no right weapon, just the weapon that's right for you."

Also: vehicles. Not much is known of those yet, though.

The game also features a three-on-three multiplayer mode, where each side takes on the roles of Light and Dark soldiers. These follow the same mechanics as the ground gameplay, and when one team's life gauge is depleted, the last to fall takes on the form of Pit or Dark Pit (depending on their team). The Pits are stronger than regular fighters, though the other fighters become invincible during this part of the battle, in which the goal is to eliminate the opposing Pit. There is also a last-man standing free-for-all as well.

Inspired by the trophies of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, there will also be Kid Icarus Uprising AR trading cards, which work like the AR cards which come with the system, but can also square off against one-another in battles.

Sakurai's philosophy of offering lots of content, buffet-style, seems to be panning out well, and it seems there is much more we have yet to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moitMMOHjr4

Fun fact: Kid Icarus: Uprising is not based on Greek myth. According to Sakurai, it's based on the world in the previous games, which themselves obviously took some cues, but you should probably not go in expecting to draw too many parallels.

Update for 1/10/12:
Hey cool!
Masahiro Sakurai has told Official Nintendo Magazine that Kid Icarus Uprising will support the Circle Pad Pro.

The Kid Icarus Uprising director explained that the Circle Pad Pro will be useful for left-handed players who may find it tricky to play the game with the stylus in their right hand.

Without the Circle Pad Pro, you'll use the stylus to aim and rotate the camera while the normal Circle Pad is used to move Pit when he's on land. However, with the Circle Pad Pro, left-handed gamers will be able to switch the controls so that they may use the stylus with their left hand.

"The way we are using the Circle Pad Pro in the game is to provide support for left-handed gamers," said Sakurai in an exclusive interview with Official Nintendo Magazine. "We've made it possible to use the right Circle Pad in place of the left one."

Sakurai went on to explain why his team didn't utilise the Circle Pad Pro in any other way. "I didn't know the specs of the Circle Pad Pro, or what it looked like, until Monster Hunter 3G was announced, so we weren't able to do anything big with it in the time we had. Even if we had known about it from the start, I don't know whether we would have used both Circle Pads in that way."

He added: "This would end up being just the same as controls on other platforms and I think the quick aiming possible with the touch panel suits the game best."

I'm a lefty so this is great news!

Update for 1/15/12:
Reynolds wrote:
Added confirmation of the Circle Pad Pro to the topic. Great news for lefties, but I'm disappointed both sticks can't be used together. My biggest problem to date has been supporting the device for longer periods with just one hand while pressing on it with the other.

Know that Mario Kart 7 cramping sensation? I remember some of that, but in my left hand... hopefully it won't be so bad without all the demo junk attached to it.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/01/11/kid-icarus-uprising-will-ship-with-a-nintendo-3ds-stand-in-japan/

Other fun stuff to read/look at:

Kid Icarus on Wiki

The actual Kid Icarus wiki, "IcarusPedia"

"You Don't Know Kid Icarus" article at IGN

And I hope that's enough to get us started.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
LBD_Nytetrayn on

• Options
    This post reserved for Nintendo 3DS Friend Codes when the game is finally released in March.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I honestly prefer that my reveal trailers include screaming idiots
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-Nol5aIAA38#t=109s

Or with poor sound quality:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfbW5Pdo728

• Options
    edited January 2012
    To be honest, I don't think anything will ever top the Skyward Sword reveal....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Xnv6LQGRw

I'm not sure that anything can, at least not from Nintendo...

...maybe if they did a cel-animated high-definition 2D sequel to Super Metroid, and I don't mean "Other M" sequel, but like an honest-to-God modern Super Metroid... yeah, I could see that getting a huge pop.

Anyway, on topic: A clip from Captain N!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V71x5WOpc-A

Hmm, it only occurs to me now that the cartoon didn't exactly paint the most flattering portrayal of Pit. Then again, it didn't often tend to paint the most flattering portrayal of anyone.

Nonetheless, this reminds me: something I need to add to the OP is that there are supposed to be a series of free animated shorts from different studios based on Kid Icarus to come out before the game's release, if memory serves. Little else has been said, so far as I know, so I may just wait for more details.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    Added confirmation of the Circle Pad Pro to the topic. Great news for lefties, but I'm disappointed both sticks can't be used together. My biggest problem to date has been supporting the device for longer periods with just one hand while pressing on it with the other.

Know that Mario Kart 7 cramping sensation? I remember some of that, but in my left hand... hopefully it won't be so bad without all the demo junk attached to it.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Reynolds wrote:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/01/11/kid-icarus-uprising-will-ship-with-a-nintendo-3ds-stand-in-japan/

Huzzah! ...I think.

It sounds good in practice, but... well, I don't remember the last time I played my 3DS at a table.

...and now I'm wondering if I should just quit posting until more people do.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Despite owning the Famicom Mini version of Kid Icarus, I desire the 3D Classics release. I can't preorder at stores because I live outside of the US =(

Can't wait for this game to be released, even though the idea of having Pit in space is a weird one. It's like Sakurai took inspiration from Hideki Kamiya.

BTW, the best reveal was when they decided to show Twilight Princess for the first time.

RockinX on
  • Options
    Official Nintendo Magazine has updated with "everything you need to know" about Uprising.

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    badumpadump

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo_direct

New videos, multiplayer stuff. I can't believe how fun this looks. I hope the community here for this game fares better than Mario Kart 7... :(

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Official Nintendo Magazine has updated with "everything you need to know" about Uprising.

How rude are Palutena's titties in 3D?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/kidicarus/0/0

Iwata Asks about this game.

They're talking about a lot of interesting things! I'm glad that the generally poor reception of Kirby Air Ride (in the west, anyway) hasn't caused him to pretend it doesn't exist, because I think it's awesome.

edit:
    Sakurai: Unlike me, Miyamoto-san, for example, is against the players being able to choose their own difficulty.

Iwata: You mean in the thinking of how the optimal level of game difficulty is something that the game creators should determine, not something you have the players choose?

Sakurai: Yes. The same goes for key configuration.12

Iwata: I suppose Miyamoto-san feels that since many players will play with default settings, there should only be one key configuration that the developers determine is right, and they must take responsibility for it and putting it forth.

Sakurai: But I think the players should have a bit greater degree of freedom in their choices.

Iwata: I suppose you belong to a different school of sorts when it comes to the way you think about specific areas of games.

Sakurai: I think it’s good to be in different schools since more games will be different. I personally have a strong desire for as many people as possible to play however they like.

preach it sakurai

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Hell yeah. Especially on controls.

• Options
    So the game includes a pack of six random AR cards, and they didn't say anything about other ways to get them. Am I going to have to buy them secondhand to get the full set?!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    You can also get some AR cards from Chocolate snacks! ... in Japan.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Oh, right, I saw that story. Doesn't seem like something they would do here, but maybe. I remember getting Pokemon cards in boxes of fruit snacks. ACTUALLY, interesting story: the gold-bordered Meowth that was randomly included in boxes of Pokemon-branded fruit snacks wasn't very rare at all (or I was very lucky), but it sold for around $15 at the time, so I made a looot of money off of them. Selling Pokemon cards was how I paid for my Gamecube.

anyway, somebody link me to a website where I can import Japanese treats

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    You can probably just print the AR cards out, or display them on your phone!

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    well, of course, if you just want to scan them into the game or play around with the AR features.

I want to have them though.

• Options
    So the game includes a pack of six random AR cards, and they didn't say anything about other ways to get them. Am I going to have to buy them secondhand to get the full set?!

I really wish that my iPhone hadn't somehow eaten my interview when I asked about this. I don't remember all the specifics, but in addition to pack-ins, you won't be able to just buy them in stores. Rather, they'll be used as promotional items-- say, if you attend E3 (where I got a pack), or maybe something like a launch event for the game, for example (I don't remember if he said they were doing something like that specifically or not, so please don't take that as gospel). Or contests, perhaps.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I have a pretty bad gaming backlog (but I just finished Arkham City, go me!) and really shouldn't pick up this game until I knock out a few more..... but I just preordered. Why? For 3D Classics Kid Icarus. I've never been able to wrap my brain around that game and feel that as a Nintendo fan I'm required to give it another go. But dammit, I refuse to suffer AND fork over eShop points for the privilege.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    OH AND BY THE WAY it's going to be incredible if Smash Bros 3DS does the same sort of AR card thing. Hopefully they'll go the same path and do nice hand-drawn artwork for characters, items, etc., instead of CG renders.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'll be preordering this from Gamestop tuesday. Didn't really plan to preorder, but I can't pass up the chance to snag the 3D classic for free.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/72636/kid-icarus-uprising-multiplayer-tournament-leading-to-launch
    Nintendo is aiming to make multiplayer a big draw in Kid Icarus: Uprising, with a multiplayer tournament leading up to its March 23 launch. Select GameStop stores will host tournaments with regional championships set for four cities. Those contenders will go on to take part in the national championships on March 22.

Bracketed regional competitions will take place in San Francisco (March 8), Orlando (March 11), Los Angeles (March 15), and New York (March 22). Even if you're not taking part in the tournament, you can show up to play the game before launch. Winners will be competing for Kid Icarus swag and an all-expenses-paid trip to New York for the final competition,

Three winners from each market will take part in the final round at the GameStop store at Broadway and 84th Street. That location will also be hosting a pre-sale, letting customers get their hands on the game a day before its official launch. The announcement doesn't mention what the grand prize will be for the winner, oddly enough.

As previously detailed, Kid Icarus features two multiplayer modes -- one team-based, and one deathmatch-style called Free-for-All. It's unknown which mode will be used for the tournament, but Free-for-All seems like the safer bet.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    V Faction wrote: »
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/72636/kid-icarus-uprising-multiplayer-tournament-leading-to-launch
    Nintendo is aiming to make multiplayer a big draw in Kid Icarus: Uprising, with a multiplayer tournament leading up to its March 23 launch. Select GameStop stores will host tournaments with regional championships set for four cities. Those contenders will go on to take part in the national championships on March 22.

Bracketed regional competitions will take place in San Francisco (March 8), Orlando (March 11), Los Angeles (March 15), and New York (March 22). Even if you're not taking part in the tournament, you can show up to play the game before launch. Winners will be competing for Kid Icarus swag and an all-expenses-paid trip to New York for the final competition,

Three winners from each market will take part in the final round at the GameStop store at Broadway and 84th Street. That location will also be hosting a pre-sale, letting customers get their hands on the game a day before its official launch. The announcement doesn't mention what the grand prize will be for the winner, oddly enough.

As previously detailed, Kid Icarus features two multiplayer modes -- one team-based, and one deathmatch-style called Free-for-All. It's unknown which mode will be used for the tournament, but Free-for-All seems like the safer bet.

That's really cool, nice to see Nintendo really pushing this game. But of course none of the locations are anywhere near me.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    That's only nice if Sakurai has gotten over his fear of competitive gaming.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Maybe I can win a Michael Cera statue from this contest too.
    74150-craptrophy.jpg

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    I gots me one-a those too

• Options
    ConandoConando Registered User regular
    The team match multiplayer reminds me somewhat of some Japanese Gundam game my brother imported. That whole thing about a team lifebar, and it being reduced to revive fallen members, using more depending on the players' layouts. Sounds like fun times to me but, it looks like I'll have to wait until launch to try that out. No GameStop stores nearby have that tournament going on (Seriously? No Boston love?).

• Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Cantido wrote: »

I saw a pic of Medusa in this month's Nintendo Power, and I notice she's kinda got some side boob action goin' on...

3DS_KidIcarus_2_char04_E3.jpg

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Preorder in today. Sup thread that no one posts in?

• Options
    We're not ready yet!

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Now that the general 3DS thread is gone, once more news comes this thread should get more activity.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm quite excited about this. I'm ready for some angel on angel action, yo!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I'm wondering if the 3DS Classics Kid Icarus will have any tweaks made to it from the original, as some of the other 3DS Classics have...

• Options
    This game gets my Mass Effect credit!

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Today's GameInformer (the AC3 one) has an ad in it with a Kid Icarus "Power of Flight" AR "Idol Card". No idea what it does, but if you're interested, it's in there.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I expect this to be "the" game of PAX East.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Ferquin wrote:
    Cantido wrote: »

I saw a pic of Medusa in this month's Nintendo Power, and I notice she's kinda got some side boob action goin' on...

And a nicer face---OH SH[/stone]

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    ONM wrote:
    “remarkably beautiful game”.

“stunning to behold, in fact, a visual masterpiece on 3DS that routinely surprises with impressive, expansive and detailed sprawling landscapes”.

“rich fantasy world” which has been “teased from the abstract visuals of an 8-bit NES game”

“The single player campaign is huge, for a start, and it sits alongside two full-featured local and online multiplayer modes [offering] countless equippable weapons and powers that work across both.”

“it takes perseverance to comfortably wrap your paws around the game’s on-foot sections … it’s intuitive enough once mastered”.

“(foot sections are) spectacular, self-contained arenas”.

“(there is a weapons store) from which you can purchase new armaments and you can fuse weapons”, mini-achievements, and a scalable risk-versus-reward difficulty system.

“[It feels far bigger than the console upon which it appears, it’s deeper than most home console titles and more content-packed than any other 3DS game yet released. Pit might’ve been sorry to keep us waiting, but this was a wait worth every second.”

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Does this game have a Checklist like Kirby Air Ride and Brawl? Is that what they mean by "mini-achievements" or is there a new system?

I think Brawl's Challenges are the best achievement-type thing that's been done so far. Kirby Air Ride was almost identical except most of the boxes didn't have prizes in them.

• Options
    Does this game have a Checklist like Kirby Air Ride and Brawl? Is that what they mean by "mini-achievements" or is there a new system?

I think Brawl's Challenges are the best achievement-type thing that's been done so far. Kirby Air Ride was almost identical except most of the boxes didn't have prizes in them.

Don't remind me that the world is due for another SSB. One with online that works. Put it on DS, make millions, Nintendo.