As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Controlled Falling [chat]

DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse

TheFall.jpg

The French are pretty insane.

but in a fun way.

Daxon on

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    The Fall wasn't bad. It was nice to see Lee Pace in a lead role.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    Flight of the Frenchies looks super rad. I wanna watch it.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    It is sleepy time. Night chat.

the places they go ARE SO FUCKING PRETTY

edited January 2012
    nope

edit: kalk, I swear I posted this after your post but time travel clearly.

Daxon on
  • thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User regular
    It's funny how you're so used to seeing ancient marble sculptures with all the color worn off, that when you see one that has been restored it just looks wrong.

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Anyone else having issues with logging in here? In the last week the boards have made me change my password and have developed the habit of making me log in again most days, despite having long selected the remember option

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Singletrack had a bike base-jumping video this week:

What's especially amusing is the way he's still covering the brakes as the bike accelerates into nothingness.

It's funny how you're so used to seeing ancient marble sculptures with all the color worn off, that when you see one that has been restored it just looks wrong.

here we were thinking that they were really a classy minimalist culture when they were in actuality super fucking gaudy and tacky.

In the version of the myth told by Ovid in the Metamorphoses, Phaeton ascends into heaven, the home of his suspected father. His mother Clymene had boasted that his father was the sun-god Helios. Helios was especially worshipped in Rhodes, however in the 5th Century BC the Greeks had primarily replaced in him with Apollo Phoebus. However, in Roman mythology the sun-god Helios is adopted again only in his Latin name, which is Sol." Phaeton went to his father who swore by the river Styx to give Phaeton anything he should ask for in order to prove his divine paternity. Phaeton wanted to drive his chariot (the sun) for a day. Helios tried to talk him out of it by telling him that not even Zeus (the king of gods) would dare to drive it, as the chariot was fiery hot and the horses breathed out flames. Phaeton was adamant. When the day came, Helios anointed Phaeton's head with magic oil to keep the chariot from burning him. Phaeton was unable to control the fierce horses that drew the chariot as they sensed a weaker hand.

"...consider what impetuous force Turns stars and planets in a diff'rent course. I steer against their motions; nor am I Born back by all the current of the skye. But how cou'd you resist the orbs that roul In adverse whirls, and stem the rapid pole?"

First it veered too high, so that the earth grew chill. Then it dipped too close, and the vegetation dried and burned. He accidentally turned most of Africa into desert; bringing the blood of the Ethiopians to the surface of their skin, turning it black.

Oh, Greeks.

edited January 2012

Or any stone really. In the 1990s-00s somehow almost all the neat limestone or other buildings back home were restored or properly cleaned for the first time since construction in the 19th century and now they look sort of brand new, which doesn't really work for Flemish Renaissance or Greco-Italian styles IMO
    Duntroon_Anglican_Church_003.JPG

Dunedin_Railway_Station2.jpg

The_National_Bank_and_Bank_of_New_South_Wales_Oamaru.jpg

Kalkino on
    Eek! htf did those photos get so big

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Brand new red brick buildings look wrong.

RMS Oceanic on
    Daxon wrote:
    nope

edit: kalk, I swear I posted this after your post but time travel clearly.

That is kind of freaky.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Morning [chat].

Yup, that was an epiphany for me, as it put the way I look at Neoclassic, Renaissance and Hindu art in a completely new light.

We westerners with our love for the bright white statues and buildings inspired by what we found in Italy and Greece were completely wrong. We have created complete cities based on a false idea about how the classical empires looked. In the mean time: most Hindu temples are so colourful and they look so much like the Greek temples must have looked.

Cropped_color_calligula.jpg

That is disconcerting. D:

Aldo wrote:
    Morning [chat].

Yup, that was an epiphany for me, as it put the way I look at Neoclassic, Renaissance and Hindu art in a completely new light.

We westerners with our love for the bright white statues and buildings inspired by what we found in Italy and Greece were completely wrong. We have created complete cities based on a false idea about how the classical empires looked. In the mean time: most Hindu temples are so colourful and they look so much like the Greek temples must have looked.

Indeed. Have you ever been to Rome? I think the best example of how badly we misjudged things is the Monumento a Vittorio Emanuele, just next to the Forums

303991.jpg

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Looks like the Greeks invented anime

Hera is yandere for Zeus.

Anyway, I had a revelation when I visited a museum in London, built around the collection of one John Soane, former Royal Architect at the end of the 18th century. He and a lot of his contemporaries soaked in Roman style via their Grand Tours of Italy and came back and helped found the Neo Classical Movement. His museum is two small houses (large for London and the area they are situated) full of his collection of Roman antiquities (including random bits of buildings). It is really worth seeing if in London

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Soane
    http://www.soane.org/

I've only been there on a whirlwind tour on one of the hottest days of the year, so I don't remember much. But yea, that place has a vista over the forums, literally no one realized how colourful everything must have been. The few written sources that had been found around the monument was built did not refer to colours of buildings (or maybe it was in there, but blissfully ignored by translators) and everything that was dug up was white marble/lime and we did not have the techniques to take samples of them to test for chemical components.

Kalkino wrote:
    Anyway, I had a revelation when I visited a museum in London, built around the collection of one John Soane, former Royal Architect at the end of the 18th century. He and a lot of his contemporaries soaked in Roman style via their Grand Tours of Italy and came back and helped found the Neo Classical Movement. His museum is two small houses (large for London and the area they are situated) full of his collection of Roman antiquities (including random bits of buildings). It is really worth seeing if in London

Admission is free, fantastic :)

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Hera is yandere for Zeus.

Orpheus is 100% bishie

Kalkino wrote:

I'm trying to figure out where I want to visit this summer and I haven't really come up with anything. Maybe I'll do a museum/stalk PAers tour of London and environs. Despite the British ridiculous opinion of Europe the island is pretty awesome.

Or maybe I'll be moving to an apartment in which case I will probably be busy being awesome. 8-)

Aldo wrote:
    Kalkino wrote:

I'm trying to figure out where I want to visit this summer and I haven't really come up with anything. Maybe I'll do a museum/stalk PAers tour of London and environs. Despite the British ridiculous opinion of Europe the island is pretty awesome.

Or maybe I'll be moving to an apartment in which case I will probably be busy being awesome. 8-)

Well if you come to London I can give you a list of cool things to do and we can meet for a drink or something too if you want.

I'm also trying to work on my travel for the year. I'm not too sure what to do yet, but Belfast, Brittany, Sweden/Norway/Denmark, Edinburgh, the Orkney/Shetlands, Cadiz, Istanbul, Poland and Geneva are on the list. I'd also like to get back to the Netherlands, Finland, Paris and Berlin too, but that seems unlikely unless I dump stuff on the first list (which are places I've not been)

I DESPERATELY WANT A JOB

I AM TIRED OF STUDYING

THIS IS MY FOURTH YEAR IN A ROW

or really

it's my 15th or 16th year of studying in a row.

Daxon wrote:
    I DESPERATELY WANT A JOB

I AM TIRED OF STUDYING

THIS IS MY FOURTH YEAR IN A ROW

or really

it's my 15th or 16th year of studying in a row.

Having money is nice, but then being a student is nice too. They are different kinds of nice

SUCK IT UP DAXON, IF YOU STOP NOW YOU WILL BE NOTHING

--

@Kalkino yea I'd definitely want to meet up with you if I'm visiting the area.

edited January 2012
    Aldo wrote:
    SUCK IT UP DAXON, IF YOU STOP NOW YOU WILL BE NOTHING

--

Kalkino yea I'd definitely want to meet up with you if I'm visiting the area.

thing is

yes, if I stop now I will be nothing...

edit: except like a medical knowledge trivia machine.

Daxon on
    After calculating it for alley masters application, I realized that I have spent 18 years as a student

This is profoundly unsettling

Hmm. I seem to be having issues with Skype. The desktop client says my password is wrong, but then I've used the same password on my mobile client and it works fine. What the hell

Skype does like pulling shit like that

it is terrible software.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    I am going to screwfix.

It is always full of builders and I feel like an interloper. Also it is run in the trade counter fashion, so you go a desk, present a list of what you want to a man in a shopcoat who goes and gets your items for you. Since they're usually part time tradesmen themselves I always think they're judging my ability to carry out whatever job the things I'm buying suggest.

I did two undergraduate degrees - which took 5 years, then a Masters/Admission which took two years, about 12 years at Primary/Secondary, about 1 year in Kindergarten, then of course my mother is a teacher, so about 21 years or so

I was actually only counting tuition from the age of 6.

If I was counting any learning I did from any adult other than my parents I'd say I was in my 19th year of learning now with another 2 to go.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    hey chat how is it going, I know I haven't been here much in the last few days.

Man if we're counting "learning" then you might as well just say your age

I was only counting actual schooling

man I hope I can continue to learn new things for the rest of my life. I just enjoy being paid money for my time now.

I wonder if crying in front of others is more therapeutic than crying alone.

This discussion has been closed.