As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dwarf Fortress] With amazing HD graphics!

FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
edited December 2022 in Games and Technology
Old DF Thread

naPKC.png

Dwarf Fortress is a single-player fantasy game. You can control a dwarven outpost or an adventurer in a randomly generated, persistent world. Created by the people up at Bay12 Games, Dwarf Fortress is one of the games that the popular indie hit Minecraft was based upon.

News:
Example screenshot:
Dwarf_Fortress_Ascii.png

For those having problems downloading/playing the game on Mac OS X Lion:
The problem is in the df launch script (Installed as 'df')

Right-click the 'df' Unix Executable file, and Open With Text Edit.

Change

export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=${PWD}/libs
export DYLD_FALLBACK_FRAMEWORK_PATH=${PWD}/libs

To

export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=${PWD}/libs
export DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH=${PWD}/libs

Then your game should run perfectly fine!

New player information:
1) Dwarf Fortress is notorious for its difficult learning curve cliff (thanks @dragonshardz!). Take a look at a screenshot above (spoilered) for what it looks like. If you're still serious about playing it, read on!

2) Download Dwarf Fortress right here. Choose your appropriate download on that page.

3) We Dwarf Fortress players like to call the game DF. The internet shortens everything.

4) Have you opened Dwarf Fortress, created a new world, and have no idea what to do? Read some tutorials, or watch some videos!

5) Not a big fan of the ASCII graphics art-form? You could even take a look at this thread for how to "de-uglify" your fort.

6) Keys to use when playing Dwarf Fortress (copied and pasted from the old DF thread):
Pressing the following keys will bring up a yellow X cursor which you control using the arrow keys. It's a good idea to use the keypad to move the cursor around, as it's generally more comfortable for most players.

Q - Assigns orders at workshops and structures, or used to create rooms from a placed structure, like tables, beds, archery targets, etc, or to destroy them.
R - Battle Reports! The fun (and biting) really happens here.
T - Mainly useful for examining the contents of a building or structure, to see how cluttered a workshop is or what it's built out of.
V - Examines an individual dwarf, where you can look at their stats, gear, thoughts and alter their job list.
K - If you'd like to see if that U is an attacking Unicorn or a friendly hUman trader, this is the key you want. It basically lets you examine the contents of a tile. Pressing enter examines objects in greater detail, if any is available.
D - Designates an area for tasks. Hit enter to start dragging out a rectangle, enter to stop. Or hold down the mouse button and draw it in. Everything in this area will now be designated for whatever task you had selected, from Digging out rock, cutting down trees, or picking plants, or whatever else it might have been. Use this to dig out your dwarf-hole.
Z - Brings up your fortress report and tells you how depressingly low you are on food.
U - displays a list of all units on the map, along with current job. Useful for finding idlers and wild animals
< and > - Change the level displayed by one (up and down, respectively). Since you'll be using these a lot, it might be wise to remap the keys (I use / and * on the keypad). To do this, press ESC and use the "Key Bindings" option ("move/view cursor up (Z)" and "down (Z)" )

Useful links:
Helpful information from @furlion:
furlion wrote:

DF Hack can be found here on the DF forums. And here on github in case a new thread is made or it moves. There are a ton of useful tools in there to help make the game a lot more user friendly. Some of them are as the name suggests hacks or cheats but others just make the game more fun in my opinion.

Dwarf Therapist is a must use tool for any large fortress project. Here is the main page for it, I do not think it has a dedicated thread on the forums. DT lets you easily keep track of your dwarfs skills,personalities,happiness, and pretty much all of the traits any individual dwarf can have. Incredibly helpful.

I use the Mayday tile set from Mike Mayday available from his personal website http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php. Hope these help!

steam_sig.png
Sterica on

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    From the devlog it looks like the new version (which adds the ability to select across multiple z levels, along with a shit ton of other stuff that I'm not entirely sure will do anything outside of world generation and evil fog, which will most likely have to be removed given how it's expected to hit the FPS) is now less than 20 miscellaneous issues from release.

Hurray. It's been a long time coming.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Nice OP, Fiskav.

Man, I really want to get into this game, then I look at the screens, and "ARGH! All the icons!" D:

This thread has now made me want to go and boot it up, and try again, since from what other people say about it, it sounds awesome.

• dragonshardzdragonshardz Registered User regular
    Why hello there, Fiskav.

For those who find the ASCII a bit intimidating, there's a bevy of texture packs out there. The most prominent are the Mayday pack, the Ironhand pack, and the Phoebus back. They're fairly easy to search for on Google.

As for the learning curve...it's really more of a learning cliff. You best bet is to play along with some tutorials and really get a hang for the game before trying to emulate or replicate things such as Boatmurdered, the Failcannon Saga, or Dwarven Checkers.

And no, I'm not linking them. Part of the fun of DF is finding the cool stuff on your own.

6XkkSvg.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Oh, some guys have been putting together patch notes for the new version. Might be worth sticking in the OP.

edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    Mmm. Delicious dorf adventure mode changes

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Well ok

But is military crap fixed yet

Because I am completely sick of my archers practicing with one single shot per year and going "yeah, that's good enough"

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    As much as it sucks that they are obviously continuing to avoid fixing broken things, I've kind of just stopped caring. I love the weird shit they add.

I was grinning like a fool the entire time I was reading that. And I don't even play Adventure mode.

(speaking of which, anyone recommend a good Adventure mode starting guide? I remember trying to use the one on the wiki but, unlike the Fortress mode noob guide, it didn't seem very helpful and I think I gave up. I'll have to check it out again, it's been a while.)

edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Hmmm that guide does look pretty good, actually. I might have been thinking of something else, or possibly an older version or something, I dunno.

Might give that a try tonight.

edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    I like the idea of dwarf fortress, but I am not good enough to do the stuff I want to do

so while I am playing the game, I hate myself for not being good enough

so I have to be in a certain mood to play this game

a self-hating mood

this will go on until I am good enough to do what I want to

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I look at this game and I tell myself, "Stopgap, you're a smart chap, you can do this." then I try to play the game... I don't know if I will ever invest the energy to play this right.

steam_sig.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Why hello there, Fiskav.

For those who find the ASCII a bit intimidating, there's a bevy of texture packs out there. The most prominent are the Mayday pack, the Ironhand pack, and the Phoebus back. They're fairly easy to search for on Google.

For me it's always been the interface more than the ascii. Being able to figure out how things work tends to be more manageable when you're not also trying to figure out what key does what.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    stopgap wrote:
    I look at this game and I tell myself, "Stopgap, you're a smart chap, you can do this." then I try to play the game... I don't know if I will ever invest the energy to play this right.

you really can...just have like 4 magmawiki tabs open (at least) at all times

edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I used to play DF a lot few years ago, and I'll probably come back to it once I get a new computer during the summer, and have time to actually play. It took bloody ages sometimes :P

Still, the absolute insanity of it all was always interesting.

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    I like the idea of dwarf fortress, but I am not good enough to do the stuff I want to do

so while I am playing the game, I hate myself for not being good enough

so I have to be in a certain mood to play this game

a self-hating mood

this will go on until I am good enough to do what I want to

I've tried and I just can't do it. I feel the same way in that I love everything DF represents but it's a game I'll never have the patience to play.

This is why I'm so glad the Dwarf Fortress Let's Plays exist.

• johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    Darn it. I was really excited to read that DF would have HD graphics....

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    The way I tend to lose is by building up super defences and a bunch of fighting mans then
    opening hell because I want to see how many demons I can kill.

johnwing wrote:
    Darn it. I was really excited to read that DF would have HD graphics....

You can set the window to 1920x1080 to see more stuff at once if you want!

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I really do wish they'd clean up the interface. I know that's no short order. But man.

I really don't have many issues when I play.
    Except once you're over 20 dwarves and you start getting crappy dwarves that you don't know what the shit they're good at you should really be using dwarf therapist.
    Otherwise everyone goes to the stone hauling squad. I find it really helpful if you use it to squeeze out some extra productivity.

Drake wrote:
    I really do wish they'd clean up the interface. I know that's no short order. But man.

Toady has pretty much stated that this won't happen. He won't do it himself as he sees it as boring and he won't produce an API to let others do it as he thinks it would give others too large a stake in the project.

It's pretty sad. Which is why somebody needs to establish a kickstarter-type affair that lets you earmark donations. So he can see that he has X thousand dollars waiting when he does some interface cleanup.

• NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    Well ok

But is military crap fixed yet

Because I am completely sick of my archers practicing with one single shot per year and going "yeah, that's good enough"

I've never bothered with training or barracks crap. I just send them off to shoot any harmless critters I see on the map, and I have a firing range filled with more dangerous monsters that I've trapped. The archers just stand behind the crenelations and fire away until everything is dead. This gets their skills up very quickly.

sig.php?id=178
    So I was reading Headshoots linked above and saw this:
    11th Felsite, 106: Praise to the miners indeed! An exploratory shaft has revealed underground deposits of sand, meaning we do not have to risk the outside world to grow ourselves food. Our planter SWATJester will finally have something to do instead of mucking about in our temporary home.

The hell does sand have to do with farming?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    You can farm on sand without needing to irrigate it.

edited January 2012
    That's cool, I wish magmawiki said something about it. I even went and checked and saw nothing about sand being useful for farming. EDIT: but of course it says so on the sand page, not farming, crops, or irrigation...

UncleSporky on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    also, for those that cannot deal with ascii, you can always grab the lazy newb pack, I've linked it for convenience.

I should dl df again since I have a new computer now, I should christen it with a phallic fortress
    http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
    So I started a new fort, the kicker for this fort is my parent civilization has no seeds, no plants, which means no booze either. Need to entirely base my food off of hunting and fishing, lets see how long I can hold out.

oh yes my river is infested with carp and my land is full of rhinos.

• BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    So I started a new fort, the kicker for this fort is my parent civilization has no seeds, no plants, which means no booze either. Need to entirely base my food off of hunting and fishing, lets see how long I can hold out.

No booze!?

Unless you get a herbalist going hard, I would be surprised if at least five of your seven haven't been brutally murdered by the rest in tantrums by the time the first immigrants arrive.

I really am eager to get back into some DFing, but I've been on a free-time-related brake waiting until the next version. It's getting twitchy.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I haven't played this since before the farming and animal update. Got so much to learn.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    It would probably need an interface before they could clean it up.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote:

No booze!?

Unless you get a herbalist going hard, I would be surprised if at least five of your seven haven't been brutally murdered by the rest in tantrums by the time the first immigrants arrive.

I really am eager to get back into some DFing, but I've been on a free-time-related brake waiting until the next version. It's getting twitchy.

This is not as big a deal as it sounds, you will naturally get surface plant seeds as your dwarves eat and brew the plants the herbalist gathers. These can then be farmed, though the plots need to be in sunlight.

edited January 2012
    Yeah I've become fairly well established now, only one dwarf has gone insane and murdered 3 dogs, and then chased some rhinos for awhile, got tired and came back to camp where he was promptly murdered by the caravan guards.

I've set up my water resevoir for my dining room now and have started carving bedrooms, food supplies are lower then I'd like but considering a vast majority of my food is coming from 1 hunter I'm doing alright.

also it appears I can only get strawberries to grow, kinda weird, even though I have a nice outdoor garden for 4 5x5 patches, nothing but strawberries are growing.

edit: I'll be needing meatshields recruits pretty soon for my army, let me know if you want to enlist!

TheKoolEagle on
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.