As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WW2 On] Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy

2»

• Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Kaliyama and I will have a game shortly underway here as well. We went with a quick battle, and I let the computer choose a map. So now we get to fight over a small stretch of land with some small groupings of buildings while it is dark and rainy. Although it looks like it is closing in on dawn, so we may be battling as the sun rises.

setup and orders phase
    For force purchasing, I let the computer choose me something, which gave me a platoon of Shermans along with an M10 with rhino attachment, a platoon of dismounted armored infantry and a mortar platoon. I expanded the infantry platoon to a company, ditched the mortar platoon and instead attached two mortar teams to the company headquarters. I then exchanged the rhino M10 for a regular one, and dropped two Shermans for one Sherman with a 105mm main gun, just in case Kaliyama brings a Tiger.
    setuptwi.jpg
    This is the map we'll be fighting over. The flag is fairly open with some buildings here and there. None of the windows on the buildings face towards the next set. The trees grant some cover, but eventually open ground has to be crossed.
    orders.jpg
    My initial orders. I'm bringing my 75mm Sherman up the middle while the other two tanks hang back. My mortars attached to the company hq are going to set up behind the trees within the victory location while my infantry go into the woods to stage an assault into the center group of buildings. I expect things to fall apart within the first three turns.

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Is it wise to show your opponent your moves? :)

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    I figure it's the honor system. I think it would be cool to have both halves of a game blogging their plans and experiences. I'd enjoy seeing when people get surprised or how they think.

• Options
    My computer may be functional again, although I'm not sure why because I didn't change anything. But the driver seems stable now, so I'll try to get another turn done and uploaded @Bastable.

@BigPointyTeeth - how is your game going? Let's keep this thread above water! :)

• Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    Coolies will jump on that dropbox when I get in from work \o/

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Pre orders for the commonwealth expansion is up at the battlefront site.

It's about 10USD off if you preorder but does lock you into receiving the download copy and the DVD. You all need to buy this as I want to PBEM as a proper commonwealth unit with correct Mounted unit designations like Troop, Squadron and sections.

Unfortunately the time line still seems to be locked into Normandy dates until BTS put together their liberate the Dutch module. No german Para's but Commonwealth (British/Canadian) Polish, SS and Luftwaffe field Divisions/cannon fodder are in.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Sadly, our game seems to have stalled out for the moment. Kaliyama's been busy and I just started school again after a long break. In about a week I think I'll be ready for another opponent, as long as they're okay with my turns coming in every other day or so instead of daily. And when kaliyama's ready to pick up where we left off, I'll gladly continue my poorly planned march into certain death.

• Options
    For me I've got no contacts except for a partially penetrated yet intact StuG that seems to have been abandoned. My Sherman is still shooting at it in the hopes of causing a fire so he Krylon can't have his chaps re crew it.

• Options
    Sorry Bast, my video drivers keep crashing during the playback mode of our game file.. I may need to send the video card to EVGA.

RE: my StuG and your Sherman - I think it's shitty that I can't actually see your tank yet, even though it's shot my StuG like 15 times.. I will blow up one of your tanks with it once my crew remounts however!

• Options
    Hah not if my lad are actually able to penetrate it properly, which by the way things are going might be several game turns, StuG front is stronk.

• Options
    Kry get the commonwealth module and lets start a new match

• Options
    Yeah, I'm into that. I'm kinda annoyed I didn't pre-order to save some money. But I'll probably pick it up soon.

Do you have Shock Force? I'm sorta tempted, since I heard the game has become pretty solid (unlike when it was released) - but I'm not super into the setting.

• Options
    I only got the first one and hated it. The afghan one was much better for me (soviet vurses mugahdeen).

• Options
    I really tried to like Shock Force, but something just felt off. The game is more or less solid now, but I just don't love it like I do the WW2 games. Maybe the eventual NATO vs Russia sequel will grab me.

• Options
    I only got shock force so none of the UK/Marine/NATO addon but it felt soulless. It's supposed to be asymmetrical to the extent that Western military have body armour and the "syrians" do not but that just made it feel unfair. Unlike the CM Afghanistan version where it's asymmetrical nature is "fair" a BTR's versus MG equipped toyota's, AK 74s versus Lee enfield rifles. The Maps also feel like Afghanistan with the setup of the villages, towns and mountainous terrain. CM Afgan is for me not soulless

• Options
    Three new games announced yesterday. First up is a new game set in Italy, second is the first of four Eastern Front games, and last is Shock Force 2. The Italy game is already fairly close to being finished with a release date in August. Supposedly, there will be some news about the Market Garden addon soon.

The engine is being improved a bit again, with moveable waypoints, and pausable TCP/IP games, and other assorted tweaks. The thing that has me most excited is the ability to overlay an image in the map editor and use that as a guide to build your map. The improvements to the engine will be applied to Normandy, but at a price. It looks like Market Garden is going to require this engine upgrade.

Italy news
    Engine upgrade stuff
    Future games news

• Options
    Nice updates, thanks.

I was stoked to see Slitherine/Matrix was putting out a computer version of Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear (a great table top game) - but I didn't realize it was out! http://matrixgames.com/products/424/details/Conflict.of.Heroes;.Awakening.the.Bear!

I definitely want to pick that up. The physical version is really fun.

• Options
    So, I guess Combat Mission: Fortress Italy is out now. Haven't had a chance to install it yet, will do so later today.