As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] PAX East 2012 Costumes

• IluIlu Registered User new member
    aikoe wrote:
    Ilu wrote:
    aikoe wrote:
    Lost my Impa, but that's not stopping me from cosplaying Sheik solo. The Chrono Trigger group is still go. I'd love to meet up with anyone cosplaying Link/Zelda/Ganon/Frog/Magus/other appropriately relevant costume. :D
    I've been trying to decide on going as either Bunny Link from A Link to the Past or Zelda, but if you're gonna be Sheik I'd love to join you as Zelda.

That would be awesome, but you shouldn't plan your cosplay around me! I'm going to be a whirlwind that weekend, especially on Saturday (when I'm wearing Sheik), so the most I'd be able to meet up and hang out with people would be either while I'm in line for something, or between events for maybe an hour tops. But if you do come as Zelda, we should absolutely get together and take pictures at the very least.
    As long as I could get pictures in, that'd be cool. I'd probably bring both costumes anyway, but I definitely want to find other Zelda cosplayers!

• ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    As for finding the shirt/vest. Have you tried any RenGarb sites? They usually have good things at reasonabblr prices. My shop/site of choice is The Tudor Shop, plenty of selection and decent-ish prices.

yeah ive looked at a few and thats where i got the majority of my stuff. its just finding that lighter redish brown color that is stumping me. but if worse comes to worse i'll just get a normal brown shirt.

7US7VWW.png
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    As for finding the shirt/vest. Have you tried any RenGarb sites? They usually have good things at reasonabblr prices. My shop/site of choice is The Tudor Shop, plenty of selection and decent-ish prices.

yeah ive looked at a few and thats where i got the majority of my stuff. its just finding that lighter redish brown color that is stumping me. but if worse comes to worse i'll just get a normal brown shirt.
    Have you thought of something like this?
    With a small bit of sewing to tweak it? When it comes to peasant shirts I've found that modifying a t-shirt is usually the most cost effective and can sometimes work better than those that are bought. ;)

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    hmmm good idea. i might have to try that.

7US7VWW.png
  • PinkRangerPinkRanger Registered User regular
    I am looking for some Pink Tabi boots. Either that or someone that could dye some white ones for me. Anyone have any ideas? I have pretty much all of the costume for the pink ninja ranger, but not shoes. I have some ideas, but I would like to have tabi boots like in the show.

Cosplayer and a gamer.

Find me on twitter- @pink_4ssass1n
    and twitch- twitch.tv/pink_4ssass1n
  • PraxisLokiPraxisLoki Registered User regular
    Saint's Row: The Third

Does anybody have any interest in cosplaying the Saints for one of the afternoons?

It's an "easy" cosplay as all you'll have to do is get a few purple accessories like a tie and a vest, a nice shirt, possibly the fleur-de-lis if you were feeling ambitious, then, "Suit up."

Then walk around and share knowing glances with other Saints. Maybe even compliment them.

Plus: Just think how amazing everyone will look in suits!

• ShilohShiloh Registered User regular
    PraxisLoki wrote:

Does anybody have any interest in cosplaying the Saints for one of the afternoons?

It's an "easy" cosplay as all you'll have to do is get a few purple accessories like a tie and a vest, a nice shirt, possibly the fleur-de-lis if you were feeling ambitious, then, "Suit up."

Then walk around and share knowing glances with other Saints. Maybe even compliment them.

I'm always down for the row! Might be fun to kick this on sunday.

Be excellent to each other!
  • ShilohShiloh Registered User regular
    and on a side note... Clayton Carmine Helmet is completed for Pax East...

1000002145.jpg

Be excellent to each other!
  • owlcheesecakeowlcheesecake Registered User new member
    I'm planning on going as Commander Shepard, though I'll be blond and (hopefully) in armor. I've never actually made any sort of armor for a costume before, so we'll see how it goes. I have cosplay savvy friends who will be helping me out.

It's nice to know I won't be the only Shepard walking around though. :)

Not by far. I'm getting a bit nervous about my cosplay though. I'm running out of time and I can't find all the pieces I need for the Normandy crew member uniform. Grr... I've got the shirt and pants. But figuring out the harness is tricky. My friends recommend I buy a rock climbing harness for the waist part, and a shoulder gun holster for the chest/shoulders. But those are a bit pricey for me. So I gotta find a different, less expensive, option.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

So stage 2 of my Megaman costume... I decided I wanted a double-breasted vest/shirt of some sort as part of the costume, as I feel Western aesthetic is a big part of the designs I've seen for Megaman and Protoman, and I really want to capture that.

Unfortunately, I've run into MANY problems with this! The original vest I wanted was this one --> http://www.lastwear.com/gentlemen/pinkerton.html

But alas, the pattern they have on their website? Pretty much useless to anyone who isn't a pro costumer.

someone ELSE pointed out this pattern --> http://www.amazon.com/Eagles-View-Patterns-Western-Pattern/dp/B0018IPG5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320042091&sr=8-1

Which seemed right, but unfortunately I'm an EXCEPTIONALLY small person (My bust measurement is 32 inches; that pattern only goes down to 36)

THIS one does come in my size though --> http://www.simplicity.com/p-2097-men-costumes.aspx#t-0

But I'm not so sure it's the right aesthetic... what say you? and any suggestions? I'm not an expert craftsperson here, I can follow a pattern but I can't really make an outfit from scratch... and again, when suggesting patterns, keep in mind that I'm TINY (Extra Small, or 32 inch bust measurement here folks). And also broke :P

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    'allo 'allo, come out of lurk mode to hopefully get some fabric advice. (P.S. the progress pics in here are awesome and have been inspiring me to bite into the temptation of going for it when it comes to costly ideas. Thanks y'all)
    So I'm working on a gyarados inspired dress for the pokecrawl and found a neat little pattern to modify to my needs:
    http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1172-products-11080.php?page_id=174 (note, will eventually have a little pill box hat added to it with the gyarados head fins and face spikes) and it calls for shantung. (there's a few other fabrics but shantung has grabbed my attention the most)

My question is, do any of you know a good place for me to find shantung in the colors I need? Namely blue and yellow? The colors are not requested often so they're not readily available in my local fabric stores and I don't know the first thing about ordering fabric online so I'm hesitant to just rely on google.

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • owlcheesecakeowlcheesecake Registered User new member
    Not by far. I'm getting a bit nervous about my cosplay though. I'm running out of time and I can't find all the pieces I need for the Normandy crew member uniform. Grr... I've got the shirt and pants. But figuring out the harness is tricky. My friends recommend I buy a rock climbing harness for the waist part, and a shoulder gun holster for the chest/shoulders. But those are a bit pricey for me. So I gotta find a different, less expensive, option.

I don't know how crafty you feel like getting, but for the chest/shoulders you could get some belts (I'm not sure whether leather or something more cloth-like would work) and fit them together? Sewing them might be a bit tricky but I'm sure there are some strong adhesives you could get to make it work. A climbing rock harness would actually be a good idea for the waist, but if you don't want to spend a lot of money you could try and make your own from similar materials. I think one of the main things that makes the climbing harnesses so expensive is that they're made to support your weight from dangerous heights and so they have to be safe, but you don't really have to worry about that for the costume so just mimicking the look of the harness would work.

I'm still trying to figure out costs for costumes myself. Hopefully I won't have to end up spending too much, though I might ending up splurging on a bodysuit as the base. I'm currently trying to sketch out the different layers to the armor, for authenticity and also so when it starts getting hot or uncomfortable I can shed some stuff but also stay in costume. So it'll just be like an N7 tanktop and shorts for the base layer, then the undersuit, then the hardsuit. It's already getting pretty ambitious, but I figure if I don't have it ready to go for this year I'll just wear it next year.

I don't know how crafty you feel like getting, but for the chest/shoulders you could get some belts (I'm not sure whether leather or something more cloth-like would work) and fit them together? Sewing them might be a bit tricky but I'm sure there are some strong adhesives you could get to make it work. A climbing rock harness would actually be a good idea for the waist, but if you don't want to spend a lot of money you could try and make your own from similar materials. I think one of the main things that makes the climbing harnesses so expensive is that they're made to support your weight from dangerous heights and so they have to be safe, but you don't really have to worry about that for the costume so just mimicking the look of the harness would work.
    Thanks for the help! That'll be my plan now. I took some good long looks at the outfit in-game last night, and came up with some good ideas.
    Now I gotta find the materials and the technique to make it work. I'm really excited now that I got over that hurdle. Craft stores here I come!

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Man, so, the other day I was playing Psychonauts for the first time (GREAT game) and I realized that I just plain own Razputin's clothes, by sheer random coincidence. Well, not his exact outfit, but seriously, take a look:

iphonetwo070.jpg

iphonetwo071.jpg

iphonetwo072.jpg

Not bad for "random crap I found in the bottom of my closet" I think. Yeah, the jacket's wrong, and so is the aviator hood, and my goggle lenses aren't red, but... still. Bottom of my closet, I didn't buy a thing. I think I might wear it on Sunday.

*e* Also sorry for the TERRIBLE picture quality, but I can't find the cables for my real camera, so shitty iPhone photos it is...

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    @Lucid_Seraph it looks great! It looks just like Raz

2009 Omeganaut
  • thedandmomthedandmom Registered User regular
    I had been planning on doing a cosplay, however due to the weight i'm going to gain between now and then, I'm not going to be able to do it. Does anyone know of any pregger ladies in games that could be cosplayed?

linkbanner.jpg
  • THE NINESTHE NINES Registered User regular
    Tintin, Capt Haddock and of course Thompson and Thompson. See you there!

"Edamame?! You know, Soy BEANS?! Well if you dont have it why is it ON THE BOARD?! TAKE IT OFF THE BOARD!!" -Edamame Enforcer
    thedandmom wrote:
    I had been planning on doing a cosplay, however due to the weight i'm going to gain between now and then, I'm not going to be able to do it. Does anyone know of any pregger ladies in games that could be cosplayed?

The Boss from Metal Gear Solid. Though that could be a really tough costume to pull together.

2009 Omeganaut
  • a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    i been wanting to do "the end" from metal gear solid,maybe ill do it this year.

• adastraadastra Registered User regular
    ok so my cosplay has changed. i wanted something that looked more like a costume instead of something that most people may not even recognize as cosplay, so i decided instead of captain jack im gonna try and go as the master from the lookouts. or atleast SOME master from the lookouts. i dont look alot like the one in the strip lol

I'm catching up on the forums again and I just wanted to chime in - I'd love love LOVE to coordinate some Lookouts cosplay - how awesome would it be to have a whole group of us throughout PAX? :D

I've gotten a much nicer green cloak since my last PAX, and I'm working on my owlbeast mask. If anyone wants to join me in geeking out over the Lookouts, drop me a line. I've got a couple of tricks up my sleeve!

• klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    So I'm trying to convince my friend to do an Inspector Spacetime cosplay with me If there are any fellow community fans out there. Basically it's a doctor who parody,as shown in this video> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UtpzEBHt4Y

I would be cosplaying Constable reggie and he,The inspector.

Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    PraxisLoki wrote:

Oh man! I'd be so down for this! I've been wanting to do this for the longest time but because there really isn't a costume for Saints Row characters, wearing tons of purple with a group of others would look so damn awesome! Would be neat to have a Saints Row 3 band on our arms or something. We'd definitely have a following especially if we all did the same taunt and compliment haha

• XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'll be doing a cosplay at the event. Going to dress up as a regular Wehrmacht soldier, the same sort of generic German enemy you've probably killed by the hundreds in WWII video games. So far, I will need:

1. M36 Feldbluse (or Tunic)
    2. M37 Trousers
    3. Leather belt
    4. "Heer" belt buckle
    5. Leather Jackboots
    6. M35 Steel helmet

I'm estimating $400-$500 for the costume, depending on where I source it from.

Is anyone do any sort of "military" cosplay at the event?

XX55XX on
  • guster11guster11 Registered User regular
    I'm definitely doing something with Sly Cooper. I also think I'm going to do some JRPG character like chrono on saturday or sunday.

• Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    I will be dressed as Clara from The Guild on Saturday. The other two days are just themed hats to go with themed tees.

5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Still haven't made much of a move on my Angry Bird costume, but I have January and February to start it. (The only good thing about my mall having shortened hours? More days off for me...)

I will be dressed as Clara from The Guild on Saturday. The other two days are just themed hats to go with themed tees.

!!!! If I had the talent, I'd totally cosplay as Tink!! Would be neat to see a whole group actually reenacting the guildies!

• WodrithWodrith Registered User regular
    Im going as the main character in skyrim. So, just me in Daedric Armor. Then my wife will go as a forsworn. Told her she should go as a standard guard so she can tell everyone she used to be a great adventurer, till she took an arrow in the knee. :D

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Finally got off my ass and got a great coat for my AC Riddler costume. Going to have to dye it and weather it a bit but I think It's going to look great.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • bonestarbonestar Registered User new member
    I think I'm going to do my Consular or Marauder from SWTOR. :]

• VikingurVikingur Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    The fruits of my labors for those curious:
    2011-08-24-01-08-34-804.jpg

I will be building a more involved Mark 2 version (LED lights and spinning chambers anyone?) so my Nerf Gun adventures are far from over!

That looks amazing, just like a Matador!

I've got a couple of questions. My two buddies and I are going for a Fallout trio, a Vault Dweller and a couple of Wastelanders, or maybe a Talon Company guy. Details, details. Anyways, I've been looking at the costume weapons policy:

1. Could I bring a pool cue? I have little intent to brandish it or swing it around in any way, since I know how easily these things knock shit over, but I would like a cool Fallout-y type walking stick. Or, if not, could I bring one I have made myself out of foam?

2. My Xmas gift to my other bud was a Laser Rifle prop. I assume that'll pass muster, since it's basically a big green rectangle with a handle, but I'd like to make certain.
    3. My buddy has the same question, regarding the bats. If he were to bring a child's foam baseball bat, with a brown coat of paint, would that be prohibited? He's also got a steampunk revolver he's got his eyes on, that I'm fairly certain won't get through security.

Vikingur on
    me and a friend are going as members from vault 101.are u goin as 101 as well or a diffrent vault.it would be sweet to have a whole group of vault 101 members.

• VikingurVikingur Registered User regular
    me and a friend are going as members from vault 101.are u goin as 101 as well or a diffrent vault.it would be sweet to have a whole group of vault 101 members.

I'll probably be rocking the big ol' 101 on my back. I'd love to get a picture with you guys.

• henry.hargrovehenry.hargrove Registered User regular
    I'm hoping that my Sonic cosplay doesn't end up being an anthropomorphic horror. I'm not too sure anyone noticed my Braid duds last year but hopefully someone enjoyed my Tron get up.

I am so excited! You don't even know!

yea i might do an armored vault suit if i can get the money for the pouches and such.but hell yea well get a big vault101 group photo

Wodrith wrote:
    Im going as the main character in skyrim. So, just me in Daedric Armor. Then my wife will go as a forsworn. Told her she should go as a standard guard so she can tell everyone she used to be a great adventurer, till she took an arrow in the knee. :D

Your wife could do this: http://i.imgur.com/LB9WX.jpg hehe

• rubykavalierrubykavalier pink is the new bacon Registered User regular
    PraxisLoki wrote:

Word on the street is that a number of us might be doing just this. :D Now we just need some Deckers, Luchadores, and Morningstars.

• DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Speaking of suits, I have it on good authority one Carl Swangee is staying home this year for some maintenance.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • guster11guster11 Registered User regular
    Someone help me decide one my other two costumes here, I am choosing from two of three outfits. I'd do chrono from Chronotrigger, Tidus, or Auron from FFX.I know there is a chronotrigger group, so that sounds pretty cool, but at the same time I can't decide whether to go as Auron or Tidus, or both and scrap Chrono. This is killing me right now, I just can't decide.