As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 1/4/12 - I shall restore normal physics using stubbornness alone.

SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
edited May 2016 in Graphic Violence
X-Club #2 : Doc Nemesis investigates the ocean and stumbles into multiple dimensions at once. It starts to kill him. (Also, there's a sea creature on his head that vocalizes his thoughts.)
Image no longed hosted

Sneaks on

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Action Comics 5, was a fantastic Grant Morrison issue. Lots of threads for future stories being set up, and the goat from issue 2 is explained. Also, KRYPTO!
    TzCfq.jpg

also the variant cover for #5 <3
    2147534-__kgrhqfhjdke7zj4bdftbp_9zy_9jq__60_3_super.jpeg

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Thunderbolts 168, Luke Cage in a cowboy hat.
    QPLbc.jpg

(Last week's comic, this week's read)
    Annihilators: Earthfall #4 (of 4), Tony is a motherfucking Ghostbuster.
    mwt7qa.jpg

Sneaks wrote:
    X-Club #2 : Doc Nemesis investigates the ocean and stumbles into multiple dimensions at once. It starts to kill him. (Also, there's a sea creature on his head that vocalizes his thoughts.)
    That is awesome.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Uncanny #4, don't buy the issue, it's not that good. This is the best part, a cool Colossus scene

xmenuncanny4a.jpg

xmenuncanny4b.jpg

OMAC #5, it didn't wow me but it did its job, I almost get a feeling that the OMAC/Frankenstein fight was in some ways mocking the Spawn/Batman fight from the 90's. Dry cool wit like this means Itchy and Scratchy Land for everyone

omac5a.jpg

omac5b.jpg

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Why

why would you say DON'T BUY THIS ISSUE in the Moments of the Week thread

this is for good things

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    And that was the good thing! In fact, it was a good moment! I'm not seeing a disconnect, good moments can come in bad issues.

• Options
    I am just saying

this thread was designed to be "hey these are the comics I enjoyed this week"

and you said don't buy this issue and also this issue didn't really wow me but here are some scans

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    It's both a cool moment and good books thread. Again, good moments can come from bad comics. One page and a panel cannot save a bad issue, but you can still say "this is a cool moment" and advise people to not pick up that issue, maybe buying something else they see here instead. For example if someone posts something important out of X-Sanction it might not mean that they liked the issue, just that it was a big moment that we should be aware of. A few people check out this thread before going to the store, cautionary advice can help.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Haven't gotten to my stack yet, but is it wrong that I knew it was an X-club moment just from the thread title?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Action Comics #5 had a cute little hint towards Grant's other Superman story
    tumblr_lxaly1LiW61qcaee5o1_500.jpgtumblr_lxaly1LiW61qcaee5o2_500.jpg

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Ugh.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Ugh
    Why ugh

• Options
    Nothing.

I mistyped.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Digging into my stack , and had to stop and share, this wasn't really a good moment for myself, but it's definately a testament to how fun X-club is, altho I will have to get a 2nd copy now.

Cause I got to the 3rd page of Nemesis Subliminal Sea Creature stuff, before laughing so hard I snotted onto the page !

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Animal Man- Creepy as usual, the last page was great
    Swamp Thing-It's been very slow, but I feel like this is the best issue yet, better than Animal Man. Some really great spreads, Holland uses his powers like a boss.
    OMAC-just, pure fun. Wordy as fuck without slowing down the pace, good art, it feels like a modern day silver age book and I get my money's worth out of it.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Uncanny X-Force #19.1, great issue, as is expected, Stryker is a true patriot against the muties, but I think Remender had a little fun with this scene
    xforceuncanny19-1a.jpg

xforceuncanny19-1b.jpg

It felt like a joke about how everyone X-Men (or the important mutants) kept their powers on regular M-Day

Billy Tan's art looks really good when Villarrubia colors his work.

And Villains for Hire #2 continues the good work, as Tiger Shark has never read Shocker: Legit.

villainsforhire2a.jpg

villainsforhire2b.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    i thought shocker was with the thunderbolts!

• Options
    Well he escaped during Fear Itself in Thunderbolts, then he showed up in Spider-Island turning all spider-ish, and now he's running around as a villain for hire. Along with Avalanche, it seems to be a matter of editors not checking or just expecting everyone to ignore how Shocker wanted to be a hero.

• Options
    ughhhhhh i loved heroic shocker being a thing

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    Wait, wait, someone did Shocker:Legit in continuity and then it was just ignored? God damn it...

(obviously no one actually put that fanfic into continuity, but the idea of Shocker turning face was a good one, imo)

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Action was awesome, JLI was solid...

Swamp Thing and Animal Man though... god DAMN.

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Swamp Thing was pretty rockin' this week.

Sneaks on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    TexiKen wrote:
    And Villains for Hire #2 continues the good work, as Tiger Shark has never read Shocker: Legit.

villainsforhire2a.jpg

villainsforhire2b.jpg

Well, at least it's not the usual trope of the smartass getting proved wrong and being punched through a window.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    No one talking about defenders? My favorite moment this week- werewolf by night nurse.

• Options
    I really liked Defenders! It is definitely going to be a favorite of mine

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I like it a lot. I love that matt fraction is writing absurd. It's a ton of fun and he really gets the characters, even though it's through a bit of a...sillier tint.

• Options
    He is definitely writing them with exaggerated personalities, yeah, but I would take that over dull muted ones any day.

A fun bombastic crazy team book is something I have wanted for a while and this one has 3 of my favorite Marvel characters on it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Red she hulk, betty banner, and prestor john?

• Options
    How did you know
    Iron Fist, Namor and Doc Strange

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Doc Nemesis really feels like a Warren Ellis character. I read him in the same voice I read other Ellis characters in. Spider Jerusalem especially.

• Options
    I still can't believe that Doc Nemesis was a Golden Age character in the public domain that Marvel snatched up.