As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 7 Unicode Problems, perhaps Chrome related?

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
Unsurprisingly, I have a decent number of folders and files on my PC with names in Chinese (and sometimes Japanese) through Unicode. I'm not certain on the exact mechanics, but until recently, I've never had a problem showing them.

Recently, unicode characters in folder names, programs like uTorrent, and the headings on Chrome tabs are showing up as lines of squares, a pretty common Unicode error. This can be solved by switching my unicode language to Chinese in my Regions setting, and then switching back to English--but that's only temporary, and eventually, it glitches out again. I believe it's possibly Chrome causing this glitch, because I did not encounter this problem when I was using IE or Opera. Is there some file or fix I can download to correct this, or do I need to drop Chrome and find out if that's the actual cause? I tried switching my Unicode to Chinese, which does seem to work well, except it causes issues with some of the English language software I have running (particularly anything that displays temperature readouts).

AppLocale, sadly, does not fix this to my knowledge. Restarting my desktop seems to fix it, but I usually only do that once a day, so if there's another fix, that would be preferable.

Synthesis on

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Late to this, but are you sure they're Unicode? I've run into weird Big5/JIS/Shift-JIS issues in various applications, but almost never for Unicode. Any folder I've renamed in the past using Big5 + weird-custom-Japanese-character-add-on has always come out weird, so maybe something to take into consideration?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    No indication it's otherwise. Shift-JIS seems to work fine, this is primarily file names that are being improperly displayed. And doing some research, it's almost certainly Chrome's fault--it's frequently reported, but yet to find a solution. Seems to take about 20 minutes to happen or so.

It's a bit annoying having to log-out every time it glitches, I'm mostly using Chrome for the 1Password support. I could always drop it for IE9 with some general blockers or even Firefox.

Synthesis on