As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mo' Money Mo' New Build Problems

Lost SalientLost Salient blink twiceif you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
Okay, normally I don't post at all outside of SE++ because I fear strangers, but I'm hoping maybe someone here can help me. Forgive my use of potentially wrong terminology, it's been at least five years since I last built a computer and also I am an ignoramus.

I've got a new build that I started putting together yesterday. Here's what's inside:

Intel Core i7-2600K Processor
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme -Z motherboard
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
ASUS Radeon HD 6870 graphics card
Couple of 160 gig Intel SSDs
Seasonic 660W 80 Plus Gold ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply

Ignoring the fact that the case is still open and there is a mess of wires going on, everything fires up just fine to a point. I can access my BIOS, which I updated in an attempt to solve my problem, and where I've selected RAID and the Intel SSDs . Under the BIOS, when I look at SATA configuration, both SSDs are listed. The problem comes when I attempt to set up a RAID array with my two SSDs. Instead of even giving me the Intel screen where I would be able to push ctrl+i and select create new RAID, after the BIOS screen it gives me one of a couple of messages, either "BOOTMGR is missing" or more recently "Invalid or damaged bootable partition." Now, these SSDs were being used for storage previous to this computer, but I reformatted them and they seem to be both totally empty and reading just fine when I plug them into this machine. And it HAS given me that Intel screen where I can push ctrl+i... twice. Both times when I selected "create new RAID" it then told me that there was not enough space, and cycled back to the same error messages as before when I rebooted.

It's totally possible I'm doing something really obviously wrong, but I can't figure out what it is. I've got to head to class at the moment, but if anyone can offer me advice I'd be incredibly grateful.

RUVCwyu.jpg
"Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
Lost Salient on

• Options
    Good IdeaGood Idea Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    That board, according to the manual, has 2 different sata chipsets: the intel one, with to red ports (6Gb/s) and 4 gray ports (3Gb/s), and the marvell one, which also has 2 red ports. I'd check if both SSDs are plugged into the Intel ones. In the pdf manual those are on page 2-30.

edit: you say you formatted them - try deleting the partitions totally. If you can't do that with the RAID utility, you can do it with "disk management" under windows, I think.

Good Idea on