As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend some TV series

2»

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dexter. There's only one season out, but a friend and I watched it straight through. All 12 episodes. Second season starts this fall. I really can't stress this enough, but you need to at least give it a try. Everyone I know that did has been hooked.

Dexter is incredibly awesome and also has the best intro ever.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll second Band of Brothers -- that is an amazing mini-series, and well worth the 100 dollars or whatever I spent on it when it came out. The characters and acting is incredible.

If you like that, keep your eyes peeled for the sequel series coming out in 2008 I think. It will be called "The Pacific" and takes place in the Japanese theater. It's costing like 100 million bucks and being filmed in Australia -- should be great.

Also, The Office of course. Rome is great too, and Deadwood.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    S.S. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Dexter. There's only one season out, but a friend and I watched it straight through. All 12 episodes. Second season starts this fall. I really can't stress this enough, but you need to at least give it a try. Everyone I know that did has been hooked.

Yes! OP, listen to these people. They are so right!

S. on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dead Like Me. Only 2 seasons, and they're both like $20. It's basically Six Feet Under with less drama/more comedy, and lots more death(exploited for laughs).

Don't get your hopes up for a complete resolution, but the ending isn't a total waste.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh yeah, Dead Like Me is cool. It was filmed here too :).

I heard they considered bringing it back but all the actors had gotten tied up in other projects :(. Damn you network executives!

Ant000 on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That sucks. What else is the lead actress doing? She was awesome.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    SportsNight

I'm amazed someone else mentioned Sports Night, but I couldn't agree more. The show has very, very little to do with sports, so don't let the name turn you off.

I just deleted a 2 page love letter to the show, deciding that I should spare the world. The short version is "go buy this right now."

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    S. wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Yes! OP, listen to these people. They are so right!

So right, but unfortunately it won't be released on DVD until August 21.

Though you should pick it up once it is released.

Invisible on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ant000 wrote: »
    Band of Brothers

Also, if you like sci-fi, I can't reccomend Babylon 5 enough. The first season is a bit slow, but it's necessary backstory. Seasons 2-4 are fucking awesome... my fiancee hates it (calls it a soap opera for nerd boys), but the story is great, it has just enough action, politics, religion..

Great series. Season 5 is up to you... you don't necessarily have to watch it, but it's nice to get some closure (most of the story is wrapped up by season 4).

The only downfall is that if you watch the movies, the story is essentially left unfinished. It was supposed to be wrapped up with the Crusade series, but poor ratings meant an early demise.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nip/Tuck.

Jericho.

Rescue Me.

powerss on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Man Nip/Tuck has gotten progressively weirder and weirder as it has gone along. I really liked it when it was surgery and Lamborghinis and high society drama, with some interesting moral stuff.

Before you know it though there's a serial killer, bodies being fed to crocodiles, white supremacist girlfriends, a midget shows up, there's an episode 30 years or whatever in the future where the only food is little mounds of colored protein and the daughter is dating a black dude and having abortions....

Anyway, yeah neat show.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    powerss wrote: »
    Nip/Tuck.

Only the first 3 seasons and really the third isn't very good, but it does close the Carver story-arc.

Invisible on
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just another recommendation for Life on Mars.

One of the best dramas to come out in the UK for ages.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    That sucks. What else is the lead actress doing? She was awesome.
    I believe the lead actress from Dead Like Me returned to school to finish up her degree after the show was cancelled.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    SerphimeraSerphimera Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Some of my favs:

Farscape if you like your sci-fi a little wierd and goofy.
    Band of Brothers is very good.
    Supernatural
    Heroes
    Invader Zim if you like goofy humor.

Serphimera on
    And then I voted.