As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East Trading Cards 2012 (You can mail your cards again)

• ShilohShiloh Registered User regular
    I'm so down with this for this year, can't wait to see what is cooked up in the end.

Be excellent to each other!
  • MoociferMoocifer Artsy Broad Registered User regular
    I definitely need to get in on this. I missed out on so much last year, this included! I'm there!

PAX East 2014!!!1!one
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Travel: [ x] // Time Off: [ x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @amysophie
    Twitter: amysophie
    Gamertag/Steam: Vixen Valentine
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    thedandmom wrote:
    I would be interested in participating this year as well. Only question, does it have to be a photo or can I do a drawing of myself or persona?

Most people use a picture on the front and their avatar on the back, but you are welcome to do whatever you like.
    thedandmom wrote:
    What if there were similar templates just in different themes depending on what you like, like scifi, steampunk, high fantasy, apocalyptic

Ultimately you can do whatever you like. Most people use the provided template to look like they are part of a "set".

We are working on said template and hope to have something for everyone within the next week.

PeasantDave on
  • thedandmomthedandmom Registered User regular
    Thanks. I got interested after last year. I had a friend who did it and it seemed cool

linkbanner.jpg
  • IzzieIzzie It's The Avatar BostonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hey!
    Dave and I worked a bit on the M:TG style cards, and we've reverted to a simpler older style that looks a like cleaner.

Dave has promised to get the text situation worked out at some point within the next weeks (HOLD HIM TO IT)

These are the updated styles. They're still not 100% but we should be getting closer to that by the end of this month.
    Pixelation is just due to the .png sample being resized.

Back2012_Izzie_V45.png
    front2012_Izzie_draft045.png

For future reference: font used http://www.urbanfonts.com/fonts/Magic_Cards.htm

Izzie on
    http://izziebytes.net // http://twitter.com/izziebot // G+
    Terrorizing the Gaming Universe one post at a time...
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    these are really cool Izzie. Once again, I wasn't sure this style could work but you two have done a great job with it.

• LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    I like it! \o/

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Izzie wrote:
    Hey!
    Dave and I worked a bit on the M:TG style cards, and we've reverted to a simpler older style that looks a like cleaner.

Dave has promised to get the text situation worked out at some point within the next weeks (HOLD HIM TO IT)

These are the updated styles. They're still not 100% but we should be getting closer to that by the end of this month.
    Pixelation is just due to the .png sample being resized.
    Back2012_Izzie_V45.png
    front2012_Izzie_draft045.png

For future reference: font used http://www.urbanfonts.com/fonts/Magic_Cards.htm

Once the template is finished I will be posting instructions for how everyone can make their own trading cards (or how to get help creating them).

In the meantime, let me know if you're interested in helping make cards for people who do not have access to photo. I will be posting a list of badges soon, but you can supply any badge you want as a 100 x 100 PNG and it will be added to the template.

Poll: What would people like to see as the mana cost? (Please note "PAXes attended" will already be used as Power/Toughness)

PeasantDave on
    edited January 2012
    Poll: What would people like to see as the mana cost? (Please note "PAXes attended" will already be used as Power/Toughness)

Maybe years in buttoneering/cards? (two different mana colors)

More boring, but could just re-use the paxes for mana as well (blue and red)... I actually think due to the colors this fits better than power/toughness.

Some measure of distance from Boston? I kinda like this since it reflects a "cost"
    -different color for each region, number by distance? (white = midwest, black = outside USA, blue = west coast, red = north east, green is south east) ... numbers by 100 mile increments? 200 mile increments? logarithmic scale?

zerzhul on
    edited January 2012
    Maybe mana cost can be preferred gaming type? Like a controller, card, die, mouse, and I'm sure there's something else that could be added to that.

Edit: Nevermind, Zerzhul's idea is cooler XD Just saw it

Lokiale on
    2009 Omeganaut
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I like them. I'm cool with anything so long as someone will help me majorly. I have zero photoshop/graphics skills and would doubtlessly frak it way up. ^_^

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    I liked the gaming type as mana cost idea. The 5 colors could be Video Games, Tabletop, Handheld, Classic/Arcade and perhaps Music (concerts, Jam room, etc)?

• griffin.brucegriffin.bruce MichiganRegistered User regular
    I really like zerzhul's ideas for mana cost and representing the area of the country. Seems like a great way to show both our PAX and home pride!

PAX East 2012: [X] Badge // [X] Time-off // [X] Accomodations // [ ] Travel // [X] EXCITEMENT!!!
    Twitter: @griffin_bruce GT: Nephilim Army PSN: NephilimArmy 3DS: 3523-2206-5371
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Those templates look fantastic. @Izzie FTW.

I also love the idea of the mana cost being tied to location. :^:

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Magpie MaydinMagpie Maydin Magpie Maydin RuneterraRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:

Some measure of distance from Boston? I kinda like this since it reflects a "cost"
    -different color for each region, number by distance? (white = midwest, black = outside USA, blue = west coast, red = north east, green is south east) ... numbers by 100 mile increments? 200 mile increments? logarithmic scale?

THIS.

edited January 2012
    zerzhul wrote:

THIS.

Also, I am a big Photo-shopper who can help make cards easily, including custom tweaks and photo-corrections like bad lighting and red-eye.

((Hey Dave! It's me: Tweezle120, sorry for skipping a year! (I was in Japan) But I'm Back for another amazing EAST!!))

PS: Sorry for the double post...

Magpie Maydin on
  • MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    Looks very cool! |o/

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
    I bet someone who's not lazy could come up with a calculator to do cost as distance in miles or kilometers on a base 10 logarithmic scale. Then we could just plug in distance and it would figure it out.

• DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    zerzhul wrote:
    I bet someone who's not lazy could come up with a calculator to do cost as distance in miles or kilometers on a base 10 logarithmic scale. Then we could just plug in distance and it would figure it out.

Well, I know what I'm going to be thinking about this afternoon instead of any real work.

Durinthal on
    edited January 2012
    I'm for using just 3 colors for the US (by Time Zone,) then White for the rest of the Americas (Love for Cananda/S. America) and Blue for "Across the Pond" (Eurasia)

Groups could make multi-colored gold cards if they had a geographical variety in members too...

Perhaps the main mana cost can be per hundreds and then +1-9 colorless for the 10's digit? Or for longer distances per 500 miles and use colorless for the spare 100's...

Magpie Maydin on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    Mountains for the Pacific area, Plains for the Midwest, and Forest for the East coast?

edited January 2012
    Heleor wrote:
    Mountains for the Pacific area, Plains for the Midwest, and Forest for the East coast?

I like this. Blue for overseas and Black for N/S America but not USA?

zerzhul on
    zerzhul wrote:
    Heleor wrote:

I like this. Blue for overseas and Black for N/S America but not USA?
    I'm liking this idea too

linkbanner.jpg
    They're a little rough...but...
    forests-1.jpgplains.jpgmountains.jpgsea.jpg

linkbanner.jpg
    edited January 2012
    that's pretty huge for mana icons is it not? I'm not sure what these are supposed to be for?

they look nice though :)

zerzhul on
    edited January 2012
    zerzhul wrote:
    that's pretty huge for mana icons is it not? I'm not sure what these are supposed to be for?

they look nice though :)
    I think i interpreted it wrong and thought backgrounds for behind photos, also didn't read the whole conversation

thedandmom on
    linkbanner.jpg
    edited January 2012
    zerzhul wrote:

Logarithms in base ten are easy to approximate. Just count the number of digits, and subtract one (ignoring the decimal, obviously).

For instance, from Ottawa to Boston is 405 miles according to Google Maps. That's about 2. Or 2.607 to be exact.
    From the London, UK, boston's more like 3269 miles, which is roughly 3. Or 3.514, when calculated.
    For the Aussies, Sydney is about 10084 miles away, which would be just over 4. (4.004)

Why fuck around with math when we can just count and subtract?

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
    edited January 2012
    zerzhul wrote:

Logarithms in base ten are easy to approximate. Just count the number of digits, and subtract one (ignoring the decimal, obviously).

For instance, from Ottawa to Boston is 405 miles according to Google Maps. That's about 2. Or 2.607 to be exact.
    From the London, UK, boston's more like 3269 miles, which is roughly 3. Or 3.514, when calculated.
    For the Aussies, Sydney is about 10084 miles away, which would be just over 4. (4.004)

Why fuck around with math when we can just count and subtract?

Right, but see: lazy. Also, for ease of making them, it's nice to have a push button solution that requires zero math (even counting and subtracting) by the user. Still, it's a nice rule of thumb.

Also, as to the other idea I saw here, I really like the idea of adding colorless, maybe use colorless for the first decimal place? so 3.5 on the log scale would be 3 of whatever color, 5 colorless.

zerzhul on
    What format would be most useful for something like that? I can easily whip something up in Javascript or whatnot, but at present my web server is an expensive paperweight.
    Does photoshop have a scripting language that would be suitable for something like that?
    Or could we host a JS web trick on the PA community wiki?

camo_sig2.png
    What format would be most useful for something like that? I can easily whip something up in Javascript or whatnot, but at present my web server is an expensive paperweight.
    Does photoshop have a scripting language that would be suitable for something like that?
    Or could we host a JS web trick on the PA community wiki?

I can host a web something. Let's make sure PeasantDave is on board with this idea first (although it sounds like it has a lot of support) and then go from there.

K, just let me know. Got programmer's notepad all loaded up n' shit.

camo_sig2.png
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    I like the idea of having mana cost being location except for one nitpick-y thing.... are the card borders going to reflect the mana color?
    Let me try to clumsily explain my thought: In the past, the cards have all had red borders (red being East's color). In Magic, the border color is the card color. So if we're all red, as in the past, we should all cost (at least 1) red mana. You wouldn't spend black mana for a red card.

Less nitpicky: if we do color by area, would we still be utilizing distance to determine the number of mana? I think that's what is currently being discussed, but I'm not entirely clear.
    Also, would community things (cookie brigade and such) just be colorless mana?

HI3789R.png
  • DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I would think it's probably better to keep one border color, though you're right in that it'll look strange to have any other color of mana on a red card.

And from my understanding the distance would determine the amount while region would determine the color: e.g. Iowa and Florida may both be 3 mana if they're the same distance, but Iowa would be all white (WWW) while Florida would be green (GGG).

I do like the idea of community things being colorless, though I'm not sure what the numbers would be.

Durinthal on
    Number of mana being equatable to distance is clever. It takes less resources to summon up the boston locals than it does to get an international paxer in. =)

The borders all being red may be distracting from the mana color. Though I think the point of the mana cost just seems like an opportunity to visually tell a bit more about yourself and have more to instantly chat about with new folks you give your card to. "You're a plains? So am I!" "Wow you came from really far away!" and so on.

So if I get this right I think the idea for now is to use the color of the area you're from and then just put those according to distance? (i.e. I might cost 3 white mana coming from Texas or something)

Which sounds pretty cool to me. Cool ideas, everyone!

2009 Omeganaut
    yeah, I'm not sure we care that much about copying Magic 100% (at least I don't). I really don't care about having black mana on a red card. Maybe enough people do to not do it that way (in which case we shouldn't use any mana cost other than colorless to be simple?).

I think we should keep the mana cost and community badges separate. The badges should go on the card front, as in years past (and also in Izzie's templates).

We could add a smaller outer border to match mana colour, to please the nitpickers. Just a few pixels of solid color would suffice. I don't mind it as is, personally.

camo_sig2.png
    Long live the red borders! \o/

2009 Omeganaut
    edited January 2012
    So I'm Proposing Two options:

1) Traditional Plains, swamps, forests, Islands, and Mountains for mana based on region with cost based on distance. Flavor A: we re-color the borders of the cards as per the mana cost being more true to the magic theme, but knocking down card unity a notch. Group cards like cookie brigade can have multiple colors (gold border) to reflect their membership. Flavor B: We keep the card borders red regardless of the mana cost. (maybe keeping gold for groups)

2) In order to keep all the cards red AND not have discordant magic-the0gathering mana costs we could use the "Types of gaming" as Mana costs icons: Handheld, Console, Minatures, Dice, and Cards. And everyone makes up a personal cost based on preference.

Magpie Maydin on
    *whispers into the night* Long live red borders. And distance mana. There will be other places on the card to reflect other aspects of the community =)

2009 Omeganaut
    So I'm Proposing Two options:

I like Option 1B.
    Partially because I've already coded the calculator for mana cost vs. distance. :D

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.