As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] Hungry at the BCEC? Look no further.

• trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    arsonisfun wrote:
    Anybody with specific dining requests can feel free to ask me, I have 10 years of serious eating in Boston under my belt (oh look, a bad joke).

Hello! Are there any Indian restaurants you'd recommend? (Delivery or dine in.)

Thanks!
    None that I know of in Southie unfortunately. I've always liked Punjabi Dhaba in Cambridge, India Quality in Kenmore, and Rani in Brookline.

Anyone want to try to get that pig roast at Citizen Publick House going?

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    trinistand wrote:
    Anyone want to try to get that pig roast at Citizen Publick House going?
    Ooohhhh - THAT sounds interesting . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• TinksterTinkster Registered User regular
    Ooh that does sound interesting :9

I think the threshold goal is 10. If we get 10+ we can do the pig roast. The place is also somewhat small so if we get enough folks we may be able to book the whole place.

• Commander CainCommander Cain Registered User regular
    Awesome! Thanks for the post, its good to know if I don't want to spend a thousand dollars at the BCEC food court that I can find a decent place to eat.

E68SJmZ.png
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    Indian Food - You'll need to go to downtown, but there are a few options (all on yelp)

D'Guru is good/fast foodish, but only does weekday lunch to my knowledge
    Tantric is sitdown, not amazing but solid
    Mela is a little further away, but they are awesome

Doing the pig roast at Citizen will require some significant planning - they were booking out 2 months in advance last time I checked so you'd want to figure out details sooner rather than later.

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
    Completely forgot about Mela, I'm ashamed.

Oof, getting enough interest 2+ months in advance might not be so easy.

• ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    It's a little out of the way, but there's also a food court inside of South Station-- which was nice for those of us who were at the IC Boston. if i recall they had a McDonalds, some chinese place, and some type of breakfast place.. and a couple others. Fast food, but probably better than confood and not ridiculously expensive.

EDIT 6:45pm: here's a list of the foods/services offered. http://www.south-station.net/Retail-Food-Services.htm
    and Google lists it as a 13 minute walk.

ottoman673 on
    PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    I can't believe this thread has surfaced already. I remember writing a post of this caliber for PAX East on my birthday trip to Seattle, which was in early JANUARY, this time last year. I guess that means that #paxiscoming!

So... ahem.

*** Places close the Convention Center worth noting: James Beard award winner & celebrity chef Barbara Lynch plopped three of her ventures down on Congress Street. Menton is definitely worth noting. Menton, a French/Italian fusion restaurant is as pricey as your Morton's and usually requires a reservation if you want something guaranteed. But hell, if you have $$$$ to drop, try it. Sportello has lunch fare, and serves dinner as well, as the "mid-range" restaurant effort of the group. It's a seat-yourself style upscale lunch spot where most of the tables are counter-style. They also serve light brunch, and it's great! If you don't want to wait, they do some take-out and have an AMAZING small-scale bakery counter (I brought specialty cupcakes for my staff at work one day before the last PAX East, to great praise). The other Lynch venture is Drink, but hellish at night. Drink is a speakeasy style cocktail bar and one of the top five in Boston. You basically go there and give the bartender an idea of what you want and how you feel, and they'll make up a drink for you. They're also well versed in classic cocktails - any bartender who can give me bourbon-based variations on a classic negroni by name really knows their stuff. If you're not sold yet, did I mention they have daily house-made ginger beer for their cocktail bases if you so choose to have, say, a spicy El Diablo? If you venture close to the Boston Common (7 bus or 17 minute walk), Barbara Lynch also has No. 9 Park, known for their cocktails. No. 9 Park is very similar and close to a level as Menton.

Temazcal opened up along the Waterfront as well since the last PAX East, right near the Renaissance Waterfront. They serve upscale traditional Mexican fare which is culinary-grade solid (100% authentic? Not too sure. Delicious? Absolutely) and have tequila pours and tequila-based cocktails that will blow your mind. All of this, though, is very overpriced thanks to location, hype, and restaurant ambiance. Papagayo is another option of the same upscale Mexican/tequila vibe on Summer Street. It opened shortly before the last PAX East and it was BOMBED the entire time as it is one of the closest restaurants to the convention center. If you want tequila but don't care too much for mexican, SushiTeq, at the bottom of the Intercontinental Hotel, is also good, and it's easy to figure out what they're all about from their resto name. Tequila is still overpriced, ambiance is inside-out disco-ball-esque, food is tasty. That's about a 10 minute walk over the bridge from the BCEC.

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned Flour Bakery! Flour is really great for breakfast and light lunch. Flour's owner, Joanne Chang, was featured in a Bobby Flay throwdown for sticky buns, and her bakeries and other local food ventures are amazing. Flour Bakery is on Congress Street right near all the other places everyone is mentioning, a five minute walk from the BCEC. Go.

O Ya in the Leather District (near Chinatown) has the same prestige as Menton but for sushi. Expect to drop a hundred or more with alcohol pairings, but it is one of the most renowned Japanese restaurants on the east coast. I can't vouch for O Ya but Arsonbro can, as he went for the tasting menu there fairly recently.

I second Salvatore's because the pizza is solid and I know the staff well personally. They're great at what they do.

Between last PAX East and this one, Legal Seafoods opened up a new Harborside location that had rave reviews for the roofdeck in the summer. I was completely underwhelmed by Legal Test Kitchen both times I've been there (and I'm easily pleased when it comes to food!) although they offer a 6 oyster deal, $6 before 6pm. It's usually Mon-Thurs but I went to LTK last PAX on a Saturday and they honored the deal for some reason. It's totally worth it - they shuck onsite and you can get whatever oysters you want; they have a variation that is insanely good for dollar deals.

*** CHINATOWN IS NOT VERY FAR FROM THE CONVENTION CENTER. For just $1.25 with a Charlie Card, you can take the 7 Bus from right across the street from the BCEC across the bridge to South Station or Milk St (last stop) and walk 5 minutes to ANY of the points in Chinatown my native Bostonians suggested. Or it's less than a 15 minute walk.

Loki - I will go eat soup dumplings with you! I'm a fiend for them, just went for some last night :P Taiwan Cafe is my favorite of the three to grab a bite. Gourmet Dumpling House is very, very good as well. I am a very big fan of soup dumpling crawls if you want to go to the three Chinatown locations, get an order at each, and compare. I did this at a few places in Flushing on my half-birthday and took notes with a foodie friend of mine.

Out of the three shabu places in Chinatown my favorite is Shabu Zen. Kaze has great broths but Shabu Zen has better plates/portions. If you wanna be a fatty an all-you-can-eat Shabu place, Hot Pot Buffet, that's less than a year old opened up at the Chinatown gate.

If you are wandering around the area and have 10 minutes to spare go to New Saigon Sandwich and pick up a BBQ pork bahn mi for PAX snacking. At around $3.25, these things are CHEAP-EAT GOLD MINES. Meat (they have vegetarian options!) vegetables, cilantro, and deliciousness all on a baguette. They keep well in the fridge, or you can carry one in your bag all day until you want some snack noms. New Saigon also offers awesome takeaway rice and noodle plates for dirt cheap you can buy, keep in your mini-fridge, and reheat in the microwave.

Go get dim sum if you can. The large Cantonese population in Boston guarantees solid dim sum; you'll only probably be severely disappointed if you've lived in Vancouver, LA, San Fran, or Flushing and had dim sum there regularly. Anywhere you go in Boston is acceptable and very, very good for people trying to branch out for new things. Hei La Moon is my immediate favorite because of authenticity and great selection if you get there early, but China Pearl is also good. If you're trying dim sum for the first time, Empire (Emperor) Garden is good for large groups (you get seated quickly because it is huge!) and basic dim sum fare. It's the least intimidating for newbies trying to eat and you still get a good, basic dim sum experience. If you know Manhattan dim sum, it reminds me of Jing Fong. A grand ballroom setting and awesome ambiance for people new to the system.

*** DOWNTOWN EATS ARE CLOSE TOO. If you're in a beery snobby mode, Stoddard's Fine Food and Ale has a really excellent selection of craft beers on tap and in bottle if you don't want to venture too far from the convention center. It's a bit pricey, but reasonable for the city, and you get to try a lot of things you can't have easily accessible to you. Last time I was there I was easily able to order a Unibroue La Fin Du Monde without even blinking. (There are some very good beer bars and brewpubs within T distance also; if you're interested in craft beer ask away for recs.)

Max and Dylan's is forgotten quite a bit as well because of its hidden location. It's upscale bar food, borderline American bistro style. Everything there is pretty good, but I personally dream about their prosciutto and truffle oil macaroni and cheese. The food there is solid if you're wandering around the area.

Waterbottles - Another close Indian restaurant to downtown that is worth talking about is Mantra, which is on the same side street as Stoddard's. It's right next to Downtown Crossing T Stop (steps away from the 7 Bus). It's Indian style bistro food and it's very good (at low-upscale restaurant prices)! They have a worth-mentioning cocktail list and a semi-open kitchen, as well as a buffet lunch that is unknown in the downown area, diverse in selection, and a good value). D'Guru on Devonshire Street is solid but it is only open for lunch on weekdays, filled with Financial District people, completely out of the way, and closes early if they run out of food. If you're adventurous, hop on the Red Line to Central Square and look for Dosa Factory in the back of Shalimar Market (about a 12 minute ride from South Station in the Alewife direction). It has a real dosa oven with the ability to make paper crepe-like dosas and the menu focuses on South Indian street food, which tends to be different than your typical Indian fare, more complex in flavor, and vegetarian. They also have your typical chicken/lamb dishes as well, and some rarity desserts like rose falooda and Indian sweets.

*** Heels - if you need some ideas on which food trucks to rope in/who has good availability, I can be a resource if you haven't started on it already, and I'm awesome at promoting stuff like that too.

*** Arsonbro, trinistand, and Khadour - if we wanna get a Citizen Public House & Oyster Bar pig roast going, we need a set 10 at least 2 months in advance. I follow the Citizen twitter, and it seems as though if you want a pig roast, a month out, 85% of the dates are nailed down for 6-8 weeks ahead, so if we want to nail down a PAX date, we have to get our bid in EARLY. As in, before December. Especially since it's a holiday weekend.

*** Also, if you're in town early or late and wanna grab dinner at a place different and exciting with good PAX company just ask me. I will make lunch/dinner plans with anyone interested in seeing the city by eating good food and/or drop specific recs easily (my forte is cheap, quality eats). Ask Arson, too, who is totally overqualified to tell you where to eat. Really, all we do is eat at places and roll out there sated. We are Boston eating pros.

PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    Oh my head...
    I read soup dumpling crawl and blacked out out of sheer excitement. So that's a yes on that XD I'll hopefully be in town on Wednesday so maybe it can be a warm up to PAX? I'm not sure if you're already booked clean through the week though XD

Ahhh thanks to everyone in this thread! I now know to save my pennies and what to save them for. Foodie adventures coupled with PAX will make for the best vacation ever.

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
    edited November 2011
    Wow, awesome post juju.

Maybe it's time to update the Hitchhiker's Guide...

I'm willing to get the pig roast together if there's enough interest. Let me call ahead to get some dates from them and then I'll start a post.

Soup dumplings...I crave them so much. I hear Dumpling Cafe is excellent, haven't been yet though.

[edit] So I just called and they won't be booking for April til January. I figure Fri-Sun is probably out as most folks would be at the PAX events. Thursday is the pub crawl (I think?), so what do we think of Wednesday night (assuming Tuesday we'll be doing a special JJ foley's night?)

trinistand on
  • RicinRicin Registered User regular
    trinistand wrote:
    I think the threshold goal is 10. If we get 10+ we can do the pig roast. The place is also somewhat small so if we get enough folks we may be able to book the whole place.

If I can go count me in. My stupid job is not giving me approval on my time off yet. If I go to PAX east I would love to go to a pig roast

edited November 2011
    trinistand wrote:
    Wow, awesome post juju.

Maybe it's time to update the Hitchhiker's Guide...

I'm willing to get the pig roast together if there's enough interest. Let me call ahead to get some dates from them and then I'll start a post.

Soup dumplings...I crave them so much. I hear Dumpling Cafe is excellent, haven't been yet though.

[edit] So I just called and they won't be booking for April til January. I figure Fri-Sun is probably out as most folks would be at the PAX events. Thursday is the pub crawl (I think?), so what do we think of Wednesday night (assuming Tuesday we'll be doing a special JJ foley's night?)

I'm down for a Wednesday night pig roast! We should do some sort of Eventbrite RSVP when we get this on the board.

Also, if you want to go to Dumpling Cafe, it's the only place I haven't been to in Boston for soup dumplings. I finally got to Shanghai Gate in Allston a week ago. Lemme know, I am totally down from it and it's on my way home from work :)

juju on
    [E]
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    A pig roast sounds awesome!!

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    Sounds like a Pre Pre-PAX dinner to me.

Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

I'll keep y'all posted.

Juju, we'll talk soon, dying for the soup dumplings. Just got back from the Giants game, need sleep so badly.

• TinksterTinkster Registered User regular
    Oh man, imma just stalk Juju for food all weekend :9

Awesome post, definitely giving me good ideas for a foodie weekend while at PAX! Now I want dumplings...

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Pre-PAX Wednesday sounds very doable for the pig roast. I should have at least 1 friend in from out of town for PAX by then, so you can put me down for 2. . .

Edit: Now that I think about it some more, I'm sure there are others in the local scene who would be down for this as well (Waterborn, etc.), despite not being able to attend our usual meetings - PAX week is one long special event, so they'd probably be very interested. See if Citizen is available for that Wednesday, and I'm positive we can get at least 10.

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    juju wrote:
    I'm surprised that no one's mentioned Flour Bakery! Flour is really great for breakfast and light lunch. Flour's owner, Joanne Chang, was featured in a Bobby Flay throwdown for sticky buns, and her bakeries and other local food ventures are amazing. Flour Bakery is on Congress Street right near all the other places everyone is mentioning, a five minute walk from the BCEC. Go.

Flour Bakery was DE-FREAKING-LICIOUS. I would walk there every morning and get an assortment of pastries and coffee for myself and friends. I still dream of their craquelins and sticky buns. It's tucked down a side street right by Lucky's on Congress, and while it's almost always busy, you get in and out quickly.

DanUNG on
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    I can't find a ton of info on it besides a brief mention on the BCEC site, but the "Dining in the Neighborhood" Trolley runs from the North side of BCEC to about 30 local restaurants during conventions and is free there and back. They basically have a couple set routes, and just make the lap over and over. I know not many people knew about it last year, in fact us at the Info Booth didn't even know about it until Saturday I think.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I've been to Sportello for dinner. It's quite delicious, though a little pricey from what I remember.

Might have just been the wine I was drinking.

<=== Classy fucker right here.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Decius wrote:
    I've been to Sportello for dinner. It's quite delicious, though a little pricey from what I remember.

Might have just been the wine I was drinking.

<=== Classy fucker right here.

Sportello is delicious and a bit on the pricier side but worth it imho. Only problem is getting into Drink afterwards :P

Khadour wrote:
    Pre-PAX Wednesday sounds very doable for the pig roast. I should have at least 1 friend in from out of town for PAX by then, so you can put me down for 2. . .

Edit: Now that I think about it some more, I'm sure there are others in the local scene who would be down for this as well (Waterborn, etc.), despite not being able to attend our usual meetings - PAX week is one long special event, so they'd probably be very interested. See if Citizen is available for that Wednesday, and I'm positive we can get at least 10.

Wrote a reminder for myself to check with Citizen's after Christmas. Will create a thread and update then.

• arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    For those interested in a nice meal (also, goal for 2012 is to knock out everything on this list that I haven't hit yet)

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/the_50_best_restaurants_2011/page1

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    arsonisfun wrote:
    For those interested in a nice meal (also, goal for 2012 is to knock out everything on this list that I haven't hit yet)

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/the_50_best_restaurants_2011/page1

Man my mouth is watering from page one of that article.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    So if you're curious, Boston now has food trucks. I have no idea if any of them come out near the BCEC, but they can be found around downtown Boston, and they're both cheap and delicious:

http://www.cityofboston.gov/business/mobile/

I've found since living here that your absolute best bet for cheap, filling, and delicious food is Chinatown, hands down. My personal favourite is Pho Pasteur, where you can get a huge bowl of Pho (Vietnamese beef noodle soup) for $7. About two doors down, you can get amazing Vietnamese french bread sub sandwiches for $3.50 -- they're about five times as good as a $5 foot long from Subway, but half the price.
    It's a bit far from the BCEC, near Chinatown station, but if you go to Downtown Crossing on the Red line (one stop from South Station) you can transfer to Orange and go about one stop to get there.

Oh also finally reading Arsonisfun's posts...

I agree on the food truck thing. If it's possible to get in contact with those guys we should, because they'd make mad cash if they just camped outside the BCEC for the weekend.

Hey, also @arsonisfun, on a semi-related note: Myself and some other folks are thinking of putting together gift baskets for our favourite PAX bands, I'm wondering about nice food shops in the area where we can get stuff. I'm a grad student, so my knowledge of places to buy food usually runs to the "cheap" and "takes food stamps" varieties. Stuff has to be factory sealed and pre-packaged as the band in question had problems with hand-made goods containing drugs, so they don't accept unwrapped goods anymore.

ONNNNNNNNN ANOTHER RELATED NOTE. Some other food advice.

The first year I went, I went out to Trader Joe's and bought myself a bunch of pre-packaged meals of the sort that don't need refrigeration and stuffed them in my backpack. This was a lifesaver. Seriously. It meant that I never had to leave the convention center, it was cheap, and it was delicious and filling, and at one point when I'd already gotten fed (Developer parties man) I gave my food away to other starving attendees. Something my friend likes to do is get a local to help cart a cooler to her hotel room, fill it with a small bottle of milk, and then have cereal in the mornings---essential if you're an Enforcer who needs to be fed and out the door for a morning shift. Just something to think about. Once again, if you want to go the food-in-a-box route, the delicious option is Trader Joes, but the cheap option is the Chinatown grocery. If you're comfortable with having no idea what you're eating half the time, anyway (It's fun. Really. Except for that one time.)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Hey, also @arsonisfun, on a semi-related note: Myself and some other folks are thinking of putting together gift baskets for our favourite PAX bands, I'm wondering about nice food shops in the area where we can get stuff. I'm a grad student, so my knowledge of places to buy food usually runs to the "cheap" and "takes food stamps" varieties. Stuff has to be factory sealed and pre-packaged as the band in question had problems with hand-made goods containing drugs, so they don't accept unwrapped goods anymore.

cardullo's in harvard square has some lovely little gourmet foodstuffs, including a bunch of locally-made new england things.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • LanderolinLanderolin Registered User regular
    juju wrote:
    Also, if you're in town early or late and wanna grab dinner at a place different and exciting with good PAX company just ask me. I will make lunch/dinner plans with anyone interested in seeing the city by eating good food and/or drop specific recs easily (my forte is cheap, quality eats). Ask Arson, too, who is totally overqualified to tell you where to eat. Really, all we do is eat at places and roll out there sated. We are Boston eating pros.
    I can vouch for this having dined with the lady herself at L'Espalier after last year's PAX. I'm heading back to the Chef's Table again this year, it's an expensive night but god are the food and wine worth it...

Pokecrawl 2011 - Team Squirtle!
    Tweet me @Landerolin
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Last year the only one on that list I tried was,

7 Minutes - Atlantic Beer Garden (Pub)
    Located next to the Whiskey Priest - B and Northern Streets
    Hours: 11:30am - 2am, must be 21 after 9pm.
    Bar food, bar prices.

My note for this restaurant is after a certain time (think it was 11pm but don't quote me) it turns into a nightclub, which is the case on the two restaurants next to it (can't remember the others names after discovering Sam Adams Brick Red at the Atlantic Beer Garden). Which made it 21+ age requirement, so for anyone under 21 you may want to keep that in mind.

This place wasn't bad to eat, the macaroni and cheese burger was decent, I will say I covered the tab for me and 3 other people and it was close to 300 bucks when we finished eating/indulging, but I guess thats all relative to the person.

I just wanted to chime in about that Sam Adams Brick Red - finding this beer was one of the highlights of PAX for me. If you like amber beers, it is so, so, SO good, and you can only get it in a select few bars in Boston itself - it's not available outside of Boston or in bottles at all.

The food was quite good, too. The kalamari rings were fantastic. But seriously. Try that beer.

• rascalrascal Registered User regular
    juju wrote:
    [
    Out of the three shabu places in Chinatown my favorite is Shabu Zen. Kaze has great broths but Shabu Zen has better plates/portions. If you wanna be a fatty an all-you-can-eat Shabu place, Hot Pot Buffet, that's less than a year old opened up at the Chinatown gate.

Really, all we do is eat at places and roll out there sated. We are Boston eating pros.

Your knowledge and articulation of the distinctions between Boston's 3 shabu joints elevates you to a level higher than "eating pro": how about "chow champion"?
    Although I do prefer Kaze to Shabu Zen...could be Kaze's short-rib, or maybe it's that flaming scorpion bowl for 4...

• Captain Spaulding IICaptain Spaulding II [E] Marlborough, MARegistered User regular
    Last year on Sunday, stumbled on a pretty neat option for getting meals at BCEC. I was pretty hungry and tired at that point and the thought of walking to another part of Boston for a meal was less than appetizing. There was a little kiosk/booth setup near the exit on the side of the building that faces downtown boston (the west side of the building?). They had menus there for a few dozen local restaurants and were offering a free trolley bus shuttle to and from the restaurants.

After having walked to the South Station food court and subjected myself to $8 BCEC chicken fingers I was cursing myself for not finding this sooner in the weekend.

• ZakkyZakky Registered User regular
    we went to No Name Fish Pier restaurant last year and it was pretty good and reasonable prices. it was behind the seaport on the pier. We will definitely go back this year!!

• hendusoonehendusoone Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I work in the neighborhood, so a couple suggestions from me - I go to these places pretty frequently for lunches:

Flour Bakery & Cafe. 12 Farnsworth St. Their hours are short (Mon-Fri 7a-7p; Sat 8a-6p; Sun 9a-4p), but they have *awesome* sandwiches and baked goods. A sandwich + soda + bakery item will usually go for $12-$15.

Papagayo. 283 Summer Street. Pretty good mexican food, also a tequila bar. Mon-Thu 11:30am-10pm, bar until 1am; Fri-Sat 11:30am-11pm, bar until 1am; Sun 11:30am-9pm, bar until 11pm. Food runs $10-$20.

Lucky's Lounge. 355 Congress Street. Typical bar food prices. They have a *fantastic* Frank Sinatra-themed brunch on Sundays.

hendusoone on
    8hiRK4y.png
  • CaveCibumCaveCibum Registered User regular
    I've got to add KO Pies to the list. I went last year and loved it. Hearty Australian pies make for good PAX eats.

To get to KO Pies, you exit through the BCEC parking lot and head south a couple of blocks.

edited January 2012
    rascal wrote:
    Your knowledge and articulation of the distinctions between Boston's 3 shabu joints elevates you to a level higher than "eating pro": how about "chow champion"?
    Although I do prefer Kaze to Shabu Zen...could be Kaze's short-rib, or maybe it's that flaming scorpion bowl for 4...

Kaze's broths are really great, much better than Shabu Zen's, but for some strange reason I really like the vegetable parts of the combo and I think Shabu Zen's is much better. I don't usually drink when I go shabu unless it's one glass of Choya so the scorpion bowls don't really sway me :)

My favorite thing to do is request the high bar so I can watch ESPN while having kimchi broth. I'm an easy girl to please.
    Imperfect wrote:
    I just wanted to chime in about that Sam Adams Brick Red - finding this beer was one of the highlights of PAX for me. If you like amber beers, it is so, so, SO good, and you can only get it in a select few bars in Boston itself - it's not available outside of Boston or in bottles at all.

You can find Brick Red at a good amount of the bars in Faneuil Hall. If you are lucky enough to have Bell in Hand on your map, you'll be able to grab a Brick Red there.
    CaveCibum wrote:
    I've got to add KO Pies to the list. I went last year and loved it. Hearty Australian pies make for good PAX eats.

To get to KO Pies, you exit through the BCEC parking lot and head south a couple of blocks.

This is totally worth it, the walk to KO. The food there is pretty bomb! The dessert is good too, and if they have Tim Tam ice cream, get it.

Also, don't ask for a knife and fork to eat your pie. That's just sacrilege.

juju on
    [E]
  • LootSnatchLootSnatch Registered User new member
    edited January 2012
    While there are certainly a bunch of great restaurants near the convention center (most of which have already been mentioned), some of Boston’s best food is going to require a trek. Luckily, the city’s not THAT big, and delicious food is always worth a journey.

Before PAX last year there was a long thread about Boston’s best restaurants filled with excellent suggestions and great foodie discussion. I’ve made a giant list culled from the wisdom of these Boston locals. Being a five-year resident myself, I’ve been to many of these establishments and can vouch for their greatness.

I’ve also completed the (fairly annoying) task of googling every single restaurant address and including it in the list. So without further ado, here is a gigantic compilation of amazing restaurants spread across the whole of Boston for those willing to venture away from the Waterfront. I split restaurants into general categories, which upon completion I realized was a dumb idea, as some restaurants are hard to classify and occasionally the lines between types blur. Oh well!

Anyway, let’s continue the discussion about food! I’d love the opportunity to eat with some of you, so if you want to try to schedule a time to dine at a particular restaurant during PAX, uhh, let’s do it!

Pizza:
    Bostone Pizza (225 Newbury Street , Back Bay)
    Pinocchio’s Pizza (74 Winthrop Street, Cambridge)
    Original Pizzeria Regina (11 1/2 Thacher St, North End) [Nothing like the thoroughly average chain stores all over America]

Sandwiches / Lunch Spots:
    Charlie’s Sandwich Shop (South End -- 429 Columbus Ave)
    Charlies Kitchen (10 Eliot St, Cambridge) [$8 lobster melt]
    Chacarero (101 Arch Street, near Park St. T stop) [Chillean sandwich shop]
    Sam LaGrassa’s Sandiwch Shop (44 Province Street Park St. stop) [Open only lunch hours, weekdays. Incredible sandwiches, definitely worth a trip on Friday if you can swing it]
    Clover food truck (Summer St. & Atlantic Ave, outside South Station) – “Fresh, fast, organic-when-we-can” food. Opens at breakfast and closes around 6:00pm, or when food runs out.
    Flower Bakery (12 Farnsworth St, Waterfront) [Great sammiches and, of course, pastries]

Seafood / Oysters:
    Lord Hobo (92 Hampshire Street, Cambridge) [Does $1 oysters and $5 apps Monday-Friday from 5-7 pm]
    Legal Seafood Test Kitchen (225 Northern Ave., Wharf) [Try experimental and very often delicious dishes before they appear on the Legal Seafood menu]
    Turner Fisheries (10 Huntington Avenue) [Friday night $1 oysters]
    Myers + Chang (1145 Washington St, South End )
    B&G Oysters (550 Tremont Street)
    Neptune Oyster (63 Salem Street)
    Island Creek Oyster Bar (500 Commonwealth Ave, Kenmore)
    Union Oyster House (41 Union Street, near Faneuil Hall) [Epic sea food broil with lobster, crab, clams, scallops, fish, tons of veggies, (touristy) and other stuff i cant remember. Came to around 30 dollars, (steamers clam choder and beer cheaper)]
    Drydock Cafe (7 Drydock Ave, Wharf) [Top-notch seafood, not touristy yet]
    Eastern Standard Oysters (528 Commonwealth Ave, Kenmore) [Also serves great mac ‘n’ cheese, apparently]

Asian:
    Kaze Shabu Shabu (1 Harrison Avenue, Chinatown)
    Ginza (16 Hudson Street, Chinatown) -- Excellent sushi
    Hei La Moon (88 Beach St. Chinatown) -- Dim Sum
    Le’s (137 Brighton Avenue Allston) -- Huge bowl of pho with all the trimmings only $7-9.
    Windsor Dim Sum Cafe (10 Tyler Street, Chinatown) [Menus in Engish]
    Porter Exchange (1815 Mass Ave, Cambridge) [Several different and tasty Asian restaurants]

Italian:
    Rino’s Place (256 Saratoga St. North End)
    Giovanni's (North End)
    Mama Maria (3 N Square, North End)

Vegetarian:
    Veggie Planet (47 Palmer Street, Cambridge)

Ethnic:
    Addis Red Sea [Ethiopian] (Cambridge) [Spongy bread, spicy entrees, interesting tables that are conducive to sharing. Totally unique and enjoyable experience]
    Indian Quality (484 Commonwealth Ave, Kenmore Square) [Rated Zygat’s best for the last TEN STRAIGT YEARS]
    Gaslight (560 Harrison Ave, South End) [French Cuisine]
    Falafel King (48 Winter St near Park St. T stop) [Best falafel]
    Herrera’s Mexican Grille (11 Temple Place) [Pollo Collorado Burrito is life-changing]

Breakfast / Diner Food:
    South St. Diner (178 Kneeland Street, near South Station) [One of very few places in Boston open 24 hours]
    Ryles Jazz Club (212 Hampshire Street, Cambridge) [Mind blowing Sunday brunch with live jazz acts serenading you while you eat. I recommend cream cheese and jam-stuffed French Toast]

Burgers:
    Craigie on Main (453 Main St, Cambridge) [$18 to-die-for burger]
    RF O'Sullivans (282 Beacon Street, Somerville) [Also makes a hell of a burger]

Cocktails:
    Drink (348 Congress St, Waterfront) [Talented mixologists craft you a custom drink after you relay the ingredients you’re partial to]

Steak:
    Fleming’s Steak House (217 Stuart St, Waterfront)

Other (Hard to Classify):
    Stephanie’s on Newbury (190 Newbury St, Back Bay) [“Sophisticated comfort food”]
    Beehive (541 Tremont Street)
    The Other Side Cafe (407 Newbury St, Hynes T stop)
    Fire + Ice (205 Berkeley Street, near Arlington T stop) [On the expensive side. Pick ingredients and your meal is cooked in front of you]
    Petit Robert Bistro (468 Commonwealth Ave, Kenmore) [Dope sandwiches for lunch, and an interesting dinner menu]
    Garden on the Cellar (991 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge)

Edit: If I’ve mis-categorized any restaurant, or if you’d like to add to the list, please speak up or shoot me a PM, I’ll correct it!

LootSnatch on
  • Certain.shade.of.greenCertain.shade.of.green Registered User regular
    I wanted to mention that JPace is very close to the convention center. They make a decent sandwich and it has a regular convenience store attached as well.

http://jpaceandson.com/index.php?page=southboston

• tripleholictripleholic Registered User regular
    oh god juju make a post like that for cambridge/back bay and i'd love you so hard haha
    last year pax east fell during restaurant week and I ended up walking to oishii, but they don't coincide this year :(
    there are coupons on restaurant.com and groupons that might be useful for some places in the area

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    If you're looking for fresh snacks to keep in your hotel room, I can't say this enough: J Pace and Sons. It's the nearest thing to a grocery that's walking distance from the BCEC area and they have fresh produce! Last year we had a misadventure trying to go to a grocery store and ended up in a ghetto mini mall in Southie, where we tried unsuccessfully for an hour to get a cab to come pick us and our groceries up and back to the hotel. Then the cabbie tried to rip us off! We didn't find this place until our last day (Blast!).

Seriously, unless you only eat 7-11 food, check them out.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&gs_upl=476l2553l0l2682l22l8l0l8l8l1l443l1740l1.3.1.2.1l11l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=929&wrapid=tlif132677461860310&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=j+pace+and+sons+boston&fb=1&gl=us&hq=j+pace+and+sons&hnear=0x89e3652d0d3d311b:0x787cbf240162e8a0,Boston,+MA&ei=XPkUT-_gEIqqiALQop2ZDA&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&ved=0CAUQtgM

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    This thread is amazing! I marked down so many place that I want to go now.

We are staying at Park Plaza (booked late) and I was wondering if there were any places close by that serve breakfast (not a bakery)?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12