As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Harmony/Universal Remote?

2»

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    This is a great time to learn!

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Something that would really come in handy is whether I could have the remote instantly switch to specific HDMI inputs on my TV.

The way the activities are set up, it has to manually cycle through each TV input until it reaches the one I want (like, say, going from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1 means having to cycle through AVI, Cable, etc). This causes a few mix-ups and isn't as smooth as just straight alternating from one input to the next.

Is this something I could pull off with the scripts? Could I get a link to some examples?

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    This depends on your tv; provided your tv allows for 'direct' input switching, i know the harmony software at least will use it. It's a setting somewhere, though I think it's the default.

• Options
    More that it will do this even on tvs that don't have direct input buttons on their remote/face. Mine doesn't, but the firmware still recognizes direct input codes that apparently the harmony profile included

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Yeah you can't do it on my TV with the included remote, there's just a "Source" button you cycle through, but I could set the Harmony up to go directly from like Component2 to Component1 without having to cycle all the way through.

Just gotta play around with it til it works, I don't remember the exact script because I don't have my TV as a device on the Harmony anymore.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, mine only has a source button too, but I was curious if it was doable since I could customize the buttons on the Harmony to directly switch to whatever input I set it for.

So maybe I'll play around with it using the setting for direct inputs, see if that works.

Still wondering if there's a way to tweak the button lag on some devices; in XMBC's case, there's some lag when using the arrow keys (mapped to buttons, naturally), as well as changing channels on the Motorolla HD Cable Box.

Edit: Awesome, it works; I can instantly switch TV inputs now through Activities. That cuts down on errors.

Now if only I could do the same thing when switching picture sizes. I want to alternate between 16:9 and Just Scan, but like with the TV inputs, it cycles through each option and often messes up.

If there's a way to fix that, let me know. It would help a great deal.

Oh and lastly, would anyone know about an inexpensive digital optical audio switcher? I bought a cheapo switcher that requires manual switching.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Like an AVR? I haven't used optical audio in a long while so I'm not sure what you mean outside of running it through your AVR like most people do with HDMI.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-SW100-Digital-Selector-Compatible/dp/B000812QC6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317355382&sr=8-1

Only with digital switches so the remote can trigger them.

Regardless, my biggest question is whether or not I can instantly toggle the picture sizes on my TV, like I was able to with the Source displays. It would be incredibly helpful.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    If there is a button, or series of button presses, on your remote that does it, the Harmony can do it.

• Options
    Meant to follow up in this thread way long ago.

I was told there were some advanced scripts and so forth I could do for further programing, but let me just summarize the things I want to do (if they're possible):

1. Instantly switch aspect ratios on my TV without having to cycle through them (16:9 to Just Scan, specifically).

2. Switch audio properties on my PC when displaying my Steam games on my TV (basically open up the audio manager to switch from Stereo to 5.1).

3. A way to cycle through (and open) the games on my Steam list without using a mouse.

Also, some configurations just won't stick. I had set up my remote to turn on my Xbox, but it then turns off by itself five seconds later. Pushing the Help button turns it back on, but it never seems to remember this configuration.

Help is appreciated, particularly for number 3.

• Options
    Meant to follow up in this thread way long ago.

I was told there were some advanced scripts and so forth I could do for further programing, but let me just summarize the things I want to do (if they're possible):

1. Instantly switch aspect ratios on my TV without having to cycle through them (16:9 to Just Scan, specifically).

2. Switch audio properties on my PC when displaying my Steam games on my TV (basically open up the audio manager to switch from Stereo to 5.1).

3. A way to cycle through (and open) the games on my Steam list without using a mouse.

Also, some configurations just won't stick. I had set up my remote to turn on my Xbox, but it then turns off by itself five seconds later. Pushing the Help button turns it back on, but it never seems to remember this configuration.

Help is appreciated, particularly for number 3.

Can't help with the scripting and such; I've never bothered. But for that last, make sure you're setting the receiver or television to turn on before the Xbox. When using HDMI I believe the Xbox will power down after a few seconds if it doesn't detect a receiving device...which is why the Help button fixes it, because by then your receiver/television (whichever you have it hooked into) is up and ready.

I'm guessing that's the issue, though obviously it could be something else.

Startup order is somewhere in the Activity settings of the Harmony software. Never had to mess with it, but I remember seeing it once.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    can you set up a short cut key to open audio properties then set a button for that key press

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    That's what I'd like to know. I can't claim to be the most advanced Windows user, so if this sort of thing is possible, it would help a bit.

And as for Steam, it turns out I can cycle through the games (by simulating the arrow keys on the keyboard), but that's only if my cursor is already highlighted on the list. Hitting TAB didn't seem to work.

• Options
    i actually found a couple devices you can add to the harmony to add keyboard presses. am at work now , but want to say its microsoft keyboard viewer or something, you can find it via google. then you would need a way to add the shortcut to properties

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Wow. The Logitech 650 is down to $65 (from $100). I doubt the promo code I saw linked with it still works, but even then, it's tempting.

• Options
    mts wrote:
    i actually found a couple devices you can add to the harmony to add keyboard presses. am at work now , but want to say its microsoft keyboard viewer or something, you can find it via google. then you would need a way to add the shortcut to properties

Is this a separate program that lets you add keyboard presses to the remote?

Sounds handy, but more then anything I would love a way to make my TV automatically switch from one picture size to another without having to cycle through them. This would fix a lot of issues, and if the remote let me do it with the source inputs, it should also conceivably work with the picture sizes.

• Options
    nope not a separate program

add the following devices:

computer/HTPC/Microsoft/ Microsoft MCE keyboard and microsoft Windows media center SE. it should add two new devices, make sure to add them to your activities.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh wait, you're talking about the Harmony program to add keyboard shortcuts.

Yeah, I already did that. Works great for XBMC, but can't seem to find a key that lets me highlight a specific program. In my case, the games list on Steam.