As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Audiophilia: Headphones, Amps, DAPs, and Empty Wallets

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote:
    This seems like a good thread for this question. I'm looking for a reasonably-priced (i.e. $50-$150) surround sound headset, primarily for PC gaming. I'm currently looking at two different options, but I'll consider anything so long as it is close to my price range. I currently have a set of Sennheiser HD 555s that aren't quite as comfortable as I'd like, but they serve pretty well. I was considering getting a Turtle Beach DSS unit to use with these headphones. Good idea?

The other option I'm considering is the Logitech G35 set. A bit more expensive, but they look more comfortable than my Sennheisers, plus they have a built in mic that's probably better quality than my current desk mic. Thoughts?

Stay away from those Logitechs, or any other surround sound headphones. You'll get vastly better quality from your Sennheisers by adding a Turtle Beach DSS or Astro Mixamp.

I'm surprised you don't find them comfortable. They're generally considered some of the more comfortable headphones on the market. What is it you don't like about them? Do they clamp too strongly?

That's exactly it. I feel like they're pressing onto my ears, like they need just a bit more padding. I was surprised too, as I'd heard they were very comfortable before I bought them. They're fine in short bursts, but if I wear them for more than an hour or two, they start to bother me a bit.

Thanks for the advice on the setup. I was hoping the DSS would win out just so I could save $50.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote:
    Vi Monks wrote:
    This seems like a good thread for this question. I'm looking for a reasonably-priced (i.e. $50-$150) surround sound headset, primarily for PC gaming. I'm currently looking at two different options, but I'll consider anything so long as it is close to my price range. I currently have a set of Sennheiser HD 555s that aren't quite as comfortable as I'd like, but they serve pretty well. I was considering getting a Turtle Beach DSS unit to use with these headphones. Good idea?

The other option I'm considering is the Logitech G35 set. A bit more expensive, but they look more comfortable than my Sennheisers, plus they have a built in mic that's probably better quality than my current desk mic. Thoughts?

Stay away from those Logitechs, or any other surround sound headphones. You'll get vastly better quality from your Sennheisers by adding a Turtle Beach DSS or Astro Mixamp.

I'm surprised you don't find them comfortable. They're generally considered some of the more comfortable headphones on the market. What is it you don't like about them? Do they clamp too strongly?

That's exactly it. I feel like they're pressing onto my ears, like they need just a bit more padding. I was surprised too, as I'd heard they were very comfortable before I bought them. They're fine in short bursts, but if I wear them for more than an hour or two, they start to bother me a bit.

Thanks for the advice on the setup. I was hoping the DSS would win out just so I could save $50.

It's absolutely the better way to go, price wise and sound quality wise.

Here's my suggestion: Stretch out the Sennheisers. Stick them over the arm of a couch, or some other similarly larger-than-your-head item (a watermelon, maybe?) overnight, or for a couple days. It'll help with the clamping issue.

For reference, the Logitechs feel like a goddamn vice, and the ear cups are smaller so they're pressing really hard onto your earlobes/cartilage. At least the Senns generally encircle the ears, so the pressure is just on your head.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote:
    Vi Monks wrote:

It's absolutely the better way to go, price wise and sound quality wise.

Here's my suggestion: Stretch out the Sennheisers. Stick them over the arm of a couch, or some other similarly larger-than-your-head item (a watermelon, maybe?) overnight, or for a couple days. It'll help with the clamping issue.

For reference, the Logitechs feel like a goddamn vice, and the ear cups are smaller so they're pressing really hard onto your earlobes/cartilage. At least the Senns generally encircle the ears, so the pressure is just on your head.

All right, I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the advice.

• Options
    I think you'll like it. One of my setups consists of a pair of Senn 558s with a DSS. It sounds fantastic. =]

• Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever sent a pair of headphones to Sennheiser for a warranty repair? I sent some last week and I'm wondering how long it'll take. I know it'll be longer because of the holidays, but even a ballpark time would be good.

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Okay guys, I need recommendations. I bought a cheap headset this morning, but the sound is dreadful, with bass being reduced to a crackling hum.

I'm looking for a pair of over-ear headphones with a mic, for around 20 pounds/25 euros/$30.

I could probably stretch to about $40, but that's the maximum.

• Options
    Snot - why didn't you come to me??

Your budget is a little tight for a really good headset. My default awesome low end suggestion is the Razer Carcharias for around $60.

The Corsair Vengeance 1100 is pretty nice. I've only played with it at the store, but their other headphones have been surprisingly decent for stuff from a computer company. It comes in around $35. It's an on-ear/behind the head style.

Unfortunately, while there are a LOT of sub-$40 headsets on the market, there's a big gap in GOOD ones until you hit the $50/$60 range.

I'll do a little more research and let you know if I find anything else.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I totally forgot about this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=26-106-157&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

The Sennheiser PC151. Good, solid, basic headset. The mic is pretty great, as is typical with Sennheiser headsets. Great build quality, light weight, and comfy for an on-ear style.

The only downside is that it'll make you want to save up for the granddaddy of awesome gaming headsets, the PC360.

minor incident on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Basic PC subwoofer unit question:

I've got a 2.1 setup from Creative (the economical T3130) sitting it underneath my desk. In terms of getting the most out of the bass, am I better off leaving the subwoofer underneath the desk, sitting directly on the carpet, or putting it in the open CPU tower cabinet (I removed the door because the desk isn't in the greatest of shape, and the cabinet itself is too small for my rather big tower). Or something else?

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Anyone have something good or bad to say about Onkyo systems?
    I basically have working 5.1 speakers, but have to use a receiver that shuts down after 40 minutes, or one that doesn't take my subwoofer's input. I figure a new basic set would run just as much as a new receiver by itself.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    Is it possible while using a headset to have just the incoming voice audio go to the headset and just the game audio go to the speakers?

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I basically have working 5.1 speakers, but have to use a receiver that shuts down after 40 minutes, or one that doesn't take my subwoofer's input. I figure a new basic set would run just as much as a new receiver by itself.

You're probably better off buying the best receiver you can afford, rather than a new HTIB. Later when you want to upgrade the speakers, you'll already have the bomb-ass receiver to power them.

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Synthesis wrote:

I've got a 2.1 setup from Creative (the economical T3130) sitting it underneath my desk. In terms of getting the most out of the bass, am I better off leaving the subwoofer underneath the desk, sitting directly on the carpet, or putting it in the open CPU tower cabinet (I removed the door because the desk isn't in the greatest of shape, and the cabinet itself is too small for my rather big tower). Or something else?

Wouldn't the vibrations from the subwoofer mean putting it on your CPU tower cabinet would be too much? Most people put subwoofers on the floor.

Also, haven't posted here in awhile beacause college is fucking busy and photography is expensive, but I got something new to the family.

DSC02647.jpg

Gotta say I love it, and I really needed a dedicated open home phone. Sound signature-wise it's pretty similar to the HD25-1 except with less bass (though slightly more controlled?) and more airiness. I also don't why but the sound signature makes guitars sound fucking delicious.

My quest for a high end DAC/amp plus high end headphones is still going slowly, but this is pretty great at the moment, especially for the price.

Gotta say though the build quality is kinda shoddy and the pads are really scratchy and uncomfortable. Need to get better ones.

Also got a Hippo Box+ with the MS1. It raises the sub bass level and drops the treble a bit. Originally $100 but in the deal it was $20. I wouldn't pay $100 but for $20 it's okay. I like it paired with the HD25-1 actually. I like the HD25-1 bright sound but the Portable amp makes it warmer with bigger bass which is nice for a change, and it gets rid of some of the sibilance.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

You're probably better off buying the best receiver you can afford, rather than a new HTIB. Later when you want to upgrade the speakers, you'll already have the bomb-ass receiver to power them.

Any recommendations? I'm trying to keep the price as low as I can (maybe $200?) while still getting something decent and I figured even if I got nice speakers later the Onkyo receiver still looked pretty decent.
    Right now I'm just in our living room so decent surround sound is all I'm really looking for, as I won't have a room to really trick out until we buy our next house which won't be for a couple years.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Antihippy wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:

Wouldn't the vibrations from the subwoofer mean putting it on your CPU tower cabinet would be too much? Most people put subwoofers on the floor.

I'm not certain. The subwoofer isn't strong enough to make using the desk problematic, that much is certain, but I'm afraid of loosing some of the affect (at least, I think I am).

• Options
    Well, I have no idea personally, but if it's not too problematic the best way to do this is usually to test it out yourself and see which way you prefer. Testing it personally is always the best way.

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    Antihippy wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:

Also, haven't posted here in awhile beacause college is fucking busy and photography is expensive, but I got something new to the family.

[IMG*snip]http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w127/antiwhippy/DSC02647.jpg[/IMG]

Gotta say I love it, and I really needed a dedicated open home phone. Sound signature-wise it's pretty similar to the HD25-1 except with less bass (though slightly more controlled?) and more airiness. I also don't why but the sound signature makes guitars sound fucking delicious.

My quest for a high end DAC/amp plus high end headphones is still going slowly, but this is pretty great at the moment, especially for the price.

Gotta say though the build quality is kinda shoddy and the pads are really scratchy and uncomfortable. Need to get better ones.

Also got a Hippo Box+ with the MS1. It raises the sub bass level and drops the treble a bit. Originally $100 but in the deal it was $20. I wouldn't pay $100 but for $20 it's okay. I like it paired with the HD25-1 actually. I like the HD25-1 bright sound but the Portable amp makes it warmer with bigger bass which is nice for a change, and it gets rid of some of the sibilance.

I've been using a set of MS-1s for years now. Love the sound from them.

I'm currently have them setup with a little tube hybrid amp I got.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Mmmm, what does the tube amp do to the sound?

I'm saving up for this now, though I got to say the onboard dac of my computer is OKAY.

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=583

Antihippy on
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    I've always found tubes mellow out the sound on headphones that can be overly bright/harsh.

I'm back on the saving bandwagon for my favourite headphone again. HD650s :)

I've had em and sold em twice before as I kept hunting for different sounds (stupid headphone addictions!)

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    I really don't find the MS1 bright, but then again I like a bright sound.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Is it possible while using a headset to have just the incoming voice audio go to the headset and just the game audio go to the speakers?

@Helpless Rock Generally? Maybe. Depends on the app.

If you're using a third-party app like Mumble or Ventrilo for your voice chat? Definitely. I do this all the time*. If you're using Steam (L4D, TF2, etc)? Supposedly it's an option in there, but I've never been able to get it to work. Haven't tried lately, maybe they fixed it. Battlefield 3? Yes, I do this all the time.* There are a few other games out there with integrated voice comms that let you specify different devices for voice and game audio, but it's not the norm.

By the way, I'm assuming you're talking about on PC. Obviously. ;)

* - Both actually go to my headset, but I use the Astro Mixamp which treats them as separate audio channels and lets you balance the volume between them using a knob on the unit. So for voice audio (in Mumble, Ventrilo, or when possible the game's built-in comms) I choose the USB audio interface, and for game audio I choose the optical out. For input I choose the USB. Works like a charm.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    Just ordered some Razer Carcharias and the Astro Mixamp... looking forward to it!

The wife doesn't like the sounds of death and dieing from GoW3 so her approval was easy to get. Though about the AudioTechnica 700's plus a Zalman mic, but felt that the Carcharias would be less hassle and 'good enough'.

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote:

@Helpless Rock Generally? Maybe. Depends on the app.

If you're using a third-party app like Mumble or Ventrilo for your voice chat? Definitely. I do this all the time*. If you're using Steam (L4D, TF2, etc)? Supposedly it's an option in there, but I've never been able to get it to work. Haven't tried lately, maybe they fixed it. Battlefield 3? Yes, I do this all the time.* There are a few other games out there with integrated voice comms that let you specify different devices for voice and game audio, but it's not the norm.

By the way, I'm assuming you're talking about on PC. Obviously. ;)

* - Both actually go to my headset, but I use the Astro Mixamp which treats them as separate audio channels and lets you balance the volume between them using a knob on the unit. So for voice audio (in Mumble, Ventrilo, or when possible the game's built-in comms) I choose the USB audio interface, and for game audio I choose the optical out. For input I choose the USB. Works like a charm.

Right now all I am using is the onboard audio from my motherboard and the built in Steam voice chat. This was in Saints Row The Third co-op. So I guess maybe that is my main problem. I've also had my headset connected via USB and not through the mic slot (I have yet to get around to connecting the front audio ports since I build this PC when I noticed I forgot to do that).

An Astro Mixamp seems like a pretty cool little thing, though I don't think I really use headphones enough to justify it's price (I live by myself anyway).

I also don't use voice chat enough to justify it there either, I was just randomly playing with a friend and was hoping it was a much simpler approach to setting it up that I was missing, but it doesn't look that way. At least while just using the build in Steam chat.

Thanks for the information though.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular

Any recommendations? I'm trying to keep the price as low as I can (maybe $200?) while still getting something decent and I figured even if I got nice speakers later the Onkyo receiver still looked pretty decent.
    Right now I'm just in our living room so decent surround sound is all I'm really looking for, as I won't have a room to really trick out until we buy our next house which won't be for a couple years.

Any particular features you want?

Video Upscaling
    # HDMI Ports
    3D
    Zone 2
    6 ohm vs 8 ohm setting
    Apple airplay
    etc

I had an onkyo that worked great for a couple years. The HDMI port just died though. 200 price range might be a little low for something that will last you a while.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Got some new grado pads for my MS1, which are comically bigger than the default ones but ALOT more comfortable. Circumarural instead of just resting on my ears with a really itchy and irritating material.

It's just hard foam. I love how DIY/garage everything from grado looks.

edit: also bigger soundstage? If only because it sits the actual drivers further from the ears.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    What are your thoughts on the Razer Tiamat 7.1 coming out this month? http://www.razerzone.com/tiamat/en

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    Robes wrote:
    What are your thoughts on the Razer Tiamat 7.1 coming out this month? http://www.razerzone.com/tiamat/en

@Minor incident is going to come tell you no and what to get instead.

I just got some Grado 60's for Christmas and they're nice. I think I might get new pads though. They're not the worst, but I would like something a little softer. Are there pads that are recommended? Or just find anything that says it fits them?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I got this recently.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-G-CUSH-Headphone-Cushion-GS1000i/dp/B0039VP3X6/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326161150&sr=1-4

It's pretty comfy and also looks really ridiculous on my ms1s (around the same size as the sr60), which is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Don't get these if you want to wear them out as a fashion accessory though. :P

Though if you want more bass, I heard that buying the L cush and crushing them for a while to flatten them is the best way to do it.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-L-Cush-Large-Replacement-Cushions/dp/B0006GCCO0/ref=pd_cp_e_1

Antihippy on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    So new to this thread. Just got a pair of sr60s and I like them quite a bit. I wear them on the subway tho and the openness is a slight issue. Is there an easy way I could space them out a little bit and add more closed earpiece to them to keep out a little more noise?

• Options
    I don't think you can mod a grado or alessandro into a closed system without degrading the sound quality. Adding a closed or better sealing earpiece wouldn't help because of the open mesh back of the earcups.

• Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I got some V-moda Lp2s about a month ago. Ages ago I sorta half broke the the stereo outpIut on my latop - it wasn't aligned properly, and you had to jimmy the port around to get sound trhough. Now I no longer seem to be able to find a sweet spot for this. So i was looking online, and I wanted to know how awful (compared to a standard latop output) somthing like this or even this this would be? I would like to be able to use these heaphones again reasonably

Am I pretty much fucked for decent audio other than getting the laptop repaired (sony, so this would be prohibitively expensive) or purchasing a proper external soundcard (more expensive than those cheap options up there, and would really impinge on the portability of my laptop)?

• Options
    http://www.fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?ID=28&MenuID=020301 will solve all your problems. It will increase your sound quality and pump more power through your headphones.

• Options
    Hmm, I thought they were more expensive than that, but that's still dearer than I'd like, being a poor student, but thanks. Would anything less sound horrible? may go for it if it's the only worthwhile option, I've an amazon gift card, but would rather get something a little more cheap.

• Options
    There are plenty of straight USB DACs around, Fiios even make a couple of different ones. The E7 is more expensive because it has a pretty decent amplifier in it, which really drives your headphones properly for much richer sound.

For just a digital to analogue converter, these are supposed to be pretty good: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UFO202-Audio-Interface/dp/B002GHBYZ0/ref=pd_cp_MI_2

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I'm looking at spending at least something like £25 then for something decent? Maybe the E7'd be the best then, it seems worthwhile paying for a portable amp too if I'm getting a DAC, and I've heard the E7 before as the standard audiophile recommendation for a mass-produced portable amp. My headphones don't sound all that great off of my phone... Thanks for the advice!

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    solsovly wrote:

Video Upscaling
    # HDMI Ports
    3D
    Zone 2
    6 ohm vs 8 ohm setting
    Apple airplay
    etc

I had an onkyo that worked great for a couple years. The HDMI port just died though. 200 price range might be a little low for something that will last you a while.

As an FYI, Onkyo's last-year recievers (TX-_R_08's) had some problems with frying the front panel boards. The warranty lasts for a year (2?) but it's a huge PITA to fix. My 708 fried its front panel within a month of firing it up (January 2011, got it for Christmas) and I had to wait a month for it to be repaired.

It's also not a question of just dealing with the problem as the reciever becomes completely unusable when this happens (can't turn on or can't turn off, won't switch out of an input, IR reciever stops working, etc.)

I am a big Onkyo guy but I would pass on an _08.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote:
    solsovly wrote:

Video Upscaling
    # HDMI Ports
    3D
    Zone 2
    6 ohm vs 8 ohm setting
    Apple airplay
    etc

As an FYI, Onkyo's last-year recievers (TX-_R_08's) had some problems with frying the front panel boards. The warranty lasts for a year (2?) but it's a huge PITA to fix. My 708 fried its front panel within a month of firing it up (January 2011, got it for Christmas) and I had to wait a month for it to be repaired.

It's also not a question of just dealing with the problem as the reciever becomes completely unusable when this happens (can't turn on or can't turn off, won't switch out of an input, IR reciever stops working, etc.)

I am a big Onkyo guy but I would pass on an _08.

My SR-608 shorted out after a few weeks of use, as well, and wouldn't turn on. It was a free repair (except shipping) since I bought it from an Authorized Dealer, but it was a bit of a pain in the ass. Be sure, if you do buy one, you get it from an Authorized Dealer.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I'm planning to go check out some headphones at the high end audio place here in town after work today.

I'm thinking of spending on the order of $100-200

What way would be best to spend approximately that amount?

$100 headphones and no amp?
    $100 headphones and an amp?
    $200 headphones and no amp?

• Options
    For that amount don't bother with an amp at all really as long as you have an okay source.

In fact if you have a poor source an amp is just going to amplify the interference it creates.

Or you could spend a $100 on a decent source like an E7.