As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] First Time to PAX East? Stuff you may want to know lies within

• rbzsfgrbzsfg Registered User new member
    Thanks for replying. Much appreciated. I'm coming from San Francisco, so the worst we would get is rain, wind and fog. I'm getting to Boston 2 days early, and my first stop is checking out Fenway Park. I'll be walking from my downtown hotel as well, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend any good restaurants or sights that I may come across during my walk. Thanks.

• Tom819Tom819 Haverhill, MARegistered User regular
    Boston is all sights. Fanuel Hall, Quincy Market, the North End (Italian neighborhood, great restaraunts), Fenway Park (like you said). Check out Back Bay also. Lots of good places to eat, however pricey.

Over around Fenway is Boston Beer Works, Game On, and Jerry Remy has a place that is pretty good.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    rbzsfg wrote:
    Thanks for replying. Much appreciated. I'm coming from San Francisco, so the worst we would get is rain, wind and fog. I'm getting to Boston 2 days early, and my first stop is checking out Fenway Park. I'll be walking from my downtown hotel as well, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend any good restaurants or sights that I may come across during my walk. Thanks.

Try this thread for foodplaces: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/150564/east-hungry-at-the-bcec-look-no-further

E6LkoFK.png

• LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    rbzsfg wrote:
    Honestly, El Pelon Taqueria is the best place for mexican in the Fenway Park area. I will be going there for one of my dinners during PAX because it's insanely affordable, 6 bucks for a huge burrito. I will be on a tight food budget this year so cheap awesome food is the best.

LollerskateDJ on
    PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
    Anna's Taqueria is good also, however it is over in Cambridge.

• nicholas_wrightnicholas_wright Registered User regular
    There are several Anna's Taqueria in Boston - two in Brookline (~4 miles west of the BCEC), one in downtown Boston (~ 1.5 miles northwest of BCEC), and more across the river in Cambridge and Somerville. For cheap eats near the BCEC, you might be better off finding an Irish pub, and the Fanuil Hall area is about a mile northwest of the BCEC, and has lots o' those.

edited January 2012
    Not sure if any of the Anna's are as good as the original. Last time I was there, the one in Davis Sq was the only one, as far as I know.

Fanuel Hall is nice but can get a little pricey.

Tom819 on
  • muddy9494muddy9494 ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hows everything going Penny Arcade peeps. First off, let me quickly introduce myself. My name is Nick, known as AngryFacing on the internet (although my forum name doesn't say that, wish it did), and PAX East 2012 is going to be the first PAX/gaming convention I have attended.

Being a newbie to this, I just want to know what I should know for attending an awesome convention like this and possibly receive a few tips from the PAX community. What should I bring, how much money do ya think I'll need and anything else i should know. ;)

Just can't wait to attend my first of hopefully many PAX events. :D

muddy9494 on
  • aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Post that is no longer relevant since the thread was merged.

aikoe on
    PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Hi guys,

I remember seeing this in an earlier post, but for some reason I can't find it. For the last two years, I've really loved the classic video game room. I have noticed, however, that each year there are some systems that have not been there (3DO, Atari 5200, etc.). I have some of these and would like to know who to talk to about donating some for use and possibly donating my time to help out in the room if needed. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    jdixon1972 wrote:
    Hi guys,

I remember seeing this in an earlier post, but for some reason I can't find it. For the last two years, I've really loved the classic video game room. I have noticed, however, that each year there are some systems that have not been there (3DO, Atari 5200, etc.). I have some of these and would like to know who to talk to about donating some for use and possibly donating my time to help out in the room if needed. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

i believe this is what you are looking for. it was in the faq thread.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    muddy9494 wrote:
    Hows everything going Penny Arcade peeps. First off, let me quickly introduce myself. My name is Nick, known as AngryFacing on the internet (although my forum name doesn't say that, wish it did), and PAX East 2012 is going to be the first PAX/gaming convention I have attended.

Being a newbie to this, I just want to know what I should know for attending an awesome convention like this and possibly receive a few tips from the PAX community. What should I bring, how much money do ya think I'll need and anything else i should know. ;)

Bring a DS/3DS if you have one, always good for Mario Kart in lines. Money totally depends on how much you plan on spending on food/swag. I usually get by with <100 USD easy, but others probably go through 300+ without much effort. However much you bring, know that it will be all the cash you have, because the ATMs will not have any money most likely. :p

That said, don't overplan imo. PAX is more fun if you wing it! Worrying too much about all the things you need and places you need to be and you'll give yourself a panic attack. Pick a panel or two you want to see, and then just be at PAX. You'll end up doing things you never thought you'd like, and have a great time.

Though, you should totally make a packing list for all the stuff you want to bring. I forget the same crap every time because I always forget to make a list. :/

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote:
    muddy9494 wrote:

Bring a DS/3DS if you have one, always good for Mario Kart in lines. Money totally depends on how much you plan on spending on food/swag. I usually get by with <100 USD easy, but others probably go through 300+ without much effort. However much you bring, know that it will be all the cash you have, because the ATMs will not have any money most likely. :p

That said, don't overplan imo. PAX is more fun if you wing it! Worrying too much about all the things you need and places you need to be and you'll give yourself a panic attack. Pick a panel or two you want to see, and then just be at PAX. You'll end up doing things you never thought you'd like, and have a great time.

Though, you should totally make a packing list for all the stuff you want to bring. I forget the same crap every time because I always forget to make a list. :/

I'm one of the guiltiest people there is when it comes to overplanning for PAX, but what Knight_ says is true. PAX is going to be awesome on it's own. Getting ready is only icing on the cake.

You will still enjoy PAX even if you don't have the following items checked, but they will make your life a bit easier :)

My bare minimum suggestions:
    1- Good walking shoes
    2- Water bottle that you can refill
    3- Courier bag or Back pack. Bring bare minimum (your DS will find some love, bring MK and Pokemon Black or White).
    4- Smart phone or Pad or WiFi friendly device. Have Twitter ready

If you want to learn more about stuff like social events, what panels to check out, where to eat, etc, you can start with the first post of the thread and work your way through the rest of the more popular threads of the forum. Ask specific questions any time, but chances are they are already answered so you may want to use the search function. If you're too shy just send me a PM.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Frugus wrote:

1- Good walking shoes
    3- Courier bag or Back pack. Bring bare minimum (your DS will find some love, bring MK and Pokemon Black or White).

this list is perfect. i'm a planner, and a chronic over-packer. last year i had a detailed itinerary and tons of stuff packed, but once i was at pax i barely looked at my plans and the above 4 items were all i really needed. if you really want to be prepared, you could add a small snack to your bag, like granola bars or something, which i was pretty glad i did. but yeah, this list is really all you need to have an awesome time at pax.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I keep seeing this suggestions for snacks to pack in your bag, and I laugh each time. I don't ever remember being hungry at Prime last year. Maybe after the exhibit hall closed but never during. I was having too much fun to be hungry. :)

definitely not a bad idea though if you have energy/blood sugar problems.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but PAX East is just a few blocks from "China Town" and some really great restaurants. I plan on exploring a little more myself, this year

Edit: And some of the best advice I could give anyone at PAX; Don't touch your face at all during PAX. If you really think that you will be tempted, wear a surgical mask. You can get packs of them from a pharmacy really cheap. On a related note, if you feel yourself coming down with something, wear a mask too. You may feel like you look a little silly, but everyone will thank you for it. I got sick as hell last year and had to miss Sunday. This will NOT happen again. Avoid touching other people's hands as much as you can. Wear a nice pair of gloves if you have to.

If you are on the heavy side and prone to chafing (I was at one point) a pair of cycling shorts or Boxer Briefs will solve that.

That_Guy on
  • klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    *snip*

klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • defecakedefecake Registered User new member
    edited January 2012
    I posted without realizing there was a forum for PAX q&a's. Now I don't know how to delete it, so instead I've written this. Sorry.

defecake on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    1. Good number of the hotels are sold out. Hope you like taking cabs/hoofing it.
    2. @Official_PAX for news, @PAX_Lines for line info, @East_BYOC if you're planning doing that.
    3. Should be OK, ask an Enforcer manning the line first. You might also considering picking up a medical badge.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote:
    1. Good number of the hotels are sold out. Hope you like taking cabs/hoofing it.
    2. @Official_PAX for news, @PAX_Lines for line info, @East_BYOC if you're planning doing that.
    3. Should be OK, ask an Enforcer manning the line first. You might also considering picking up a medical badge.

Well... Maybe that extensively long and super overkill FAQ I wrote and never posted about finding a good hotel could be of use after all...

:shock:

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • MrArcysMrArcys Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    Frugus wrote:

1- Good walking shoes

this list is perfect. i'm a planner, and a chronic over-packer. last year i had a detailed itinerary and tons of stuff packed, but once i was at pax i barely looked at my plans and the above 4 items were all i really needed. if you really want to be prepared, you could add a small snack to your bag, like granola bars or something, which i was pretty glad i did. but yeah, this list is really all you need to have an awesome time at pax.

One thing that I haven't seen posted and can help with over-packing...

There are plenty of places to buy shirts... including the official merch booth! If you plan on buying a lot of shirts, don't pack any and wear what you buy. That way you can save some space on the way out and you won't have to make space on the way back.

This was mentioned before, but take 2x the normal amount of socks. Put a pair in your backpack before you leave and change them half way through the day. Instant refresher!

Also of note, if you're a big person, bring some powder for between your legs. Walking 'round PAX with chafing issues will make your day a living hell.

PAX East 2013: [ ] Badge // [X] Hotel // [ ] Travel // [ ] Time Off
    Twitter: @MrArcys
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    Lived in and around Boston for over a decade. If anyone from out of state has any questions (where to go for food, clubs, cool locations, lodging, etc) or needs advice feel free to ask. :)

A few tips when visiting;
    3. The subway/bus system is called the "T" for short. It is considered the best public transportation system after NYC. If you need to get somewhere to far to walk check the www.mbta.com site to see if the T can get you there. More times then not it can. Fares are $2.00 a ride on the subway, a bit less via bus. However if you want to save yourself .20 a ride on the T ask a T official at one of the stations for a 'charlie card' using this pass you get charged less. It is like a pre-paid credit card. You 'charge' it with money then simply tap it at the gate, the reduced fare gets deducted.
    6. Locals are NOT unfriendly contrary to myth. While we may seem so it is simply us doing our thing. If you need help or have a question don't worry about asking most locals will be happy to assist.

Just to add.. I grew up and live in Boston, and I want to highly re-iterate #6- While quite many people you see in Boston won't really go out of their way to try and be buddy buddy just because you're on the train, practically ANYONE will help you anytime.

And finally, I would highly recommend using Hopstop over the MBTA website for figuring out how to get places- it has a much better engine for pathing, and does a better job incorporating short walks (Which often can save you over a half hour!) It uses the MBTA xml feed for its timing data, so it's just as accurate as the MBTA site as far as that goes.

I'm usually one of the couple guys in pirate hats wandering around, but I might wear my wizard hat this year. I've avoided it in the past due to it being wool and very warm, but Winter is taking a long time to arrive this year... which usually means a hellaciously long time before spring kicks into gear. Not always though, due to the New England Magic (tm) of randomized weather encounters.

Anywho, if anyone has specific questions about Boston that they're embarrassed to post publicly, feel free to throw me a PM ;)

~Kia

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Zap-RoboZap-Robo This Space Intentionally Left Blank Youngstown, OHRegistered User regular
    Handy thread - thanks to all the contributors! Me and the wife have thrown our hat into the ring this year to attend PAX East and we have no idea what to expect :)

Andy "Zap-Robo" Barber
    Editor in Chief @ www.mmo-central.com
    Oh! Just remembered this last night.

if you are planning on joining a line -be sure to use the restroom first-.
    it can't be stressed enough. I had to do the pee dance in the line for Mass Effect3, until the guy in line in front of me said he'd hold my spot for me.
    So, to reiterate, first use the restroom next, try to limit the water/liquids you drink while in line.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    My buddies dropped out of the trip, but it's been a goal of mine to meet LRR and the PA guys. So, my question is are people who go to PAX generally into adding new people to their groups of friends for the weekend? Or would I be considered a creep?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh! Just remembered this last night.

if you are planning on joining a line -be sure to use the restroom first-.
    it can't be stressed enough. I had to do the pee dance in the line for Mass Effect3, until the guy in line in front of me said he'd hold my spot for me.
    So, to reiterate, first use the restroom next, try to limit the water/liquids you drink while in line.

Obviously, mileage may vary, but I have to disagree with the part about limiting liquids. Staying hydrated is the #1 most important thing at PAX (or any other all-day con). It is the thing that people forget the most because they are so busy doing other things. I totally agree that one should use the bathroom before getting in a long line, but my personal experience (once again, ymmv) is that a majority of the time someone will hold your space if you have to go due to hydrating while in line.

yeah, I just meant to limit while in the line. By all means drink as often as possible. I must have had liters and liters of water all weekend.
    I was so afraid to ask someone to hold my spot that we were nearly to the booth when the guy took pity on me. Lesson learned. ;)

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Yeah, I just tiptoe very carefully around telling anyone to not drink something at a particular time. I know it seems like common sense but I worry about the person that would say "geeze I'm thirsty but someone said I shouldn't drink while in line" ;) I don't want to have anything to do with another pass-out situation.

• SvKSvK Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    Let it be known that this guy had the best "contact card" I laid my eyes on while I was at PAX East 2011. A simple slip of hard cardboard that was two thirds the size of my pinkie. Pro printing with 8 bit characters on the back and all. It did not matter that it was small and easy to loose, it definitely did the trick.

Those were probably MOO minicards.

• griffin.brucegriffin.bruce MichiganRegistered User regular
    My buddies dropped out of the trip, but it's been a goal of mine to meet LRR and the PA guys. So, my question is are people who go to PAX generally into adding new people to their groups of friends for the weekend? Or would I be considered a creep?

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm coming alone as well and am hoping I don't seem like a creep if I find some people I enjoy hanging out with and try to tag-along to a few events with them or whatever.

PAX East 2012: [X] Badge // [X] Time-off // [X] Accomodations // [ ] Travel // [X] EXCITEMENT!!!
    Twitter: @griffin_bruce GT: Nephilim Army PSN: NephilimArmy 3DS: 3523-2206-5371
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm coming alone as well and am hoping I don't seem like a creep if I find some people I enjoy hanging out with and try to tag-along to a few events with them or whatever.

I've made some of the best friends of my life with random strangers I started chatting up at PAX.

PAX is like hanging out with 70,000 of your closest friends for the weekend.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • griffin.brucegriffin.bruce MichiganRegistered User regular
    SmallLady wrote:

I've made some of the best friends of my life with random strangers I started chatting up at PAX.

PAX is like hanging out with 70,000 of your closest friends for the weekend.

Perfect. I seriously cannot wait!

PAX East 2012: [X] Badge // [X] Time-off // [X] Accomodations // [ ] Travel // [X] EXCITEMENT!!!
    Twitter: @griffin_bruce GT: Nephilim Army PSN: NephilimArmy 3DS: 3523-2206-5371
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Yeah, pretty much any time you're in a line for a long time (which is every time you want to be sure to see a popular panel) you'll find people gathering in impromptu groups for playing whatever portable board/card/dice game someone happens to have on them. Bring your own bag of Bananagrams or Zombie Dice or whatever you feel like lugging around, and you can be the instigator yourself.

The PAX East with the Wil Wheaton keynote was the first PAX I went to, and the main message of his speech was "Welcome home," which fits pretty well.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Look at the post below.
    (How do I delete this damn thing?)

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote:
    tvethiopia wrote:
    Frugus wrote:
    - It's not fun to walk back home during the Boston Curfew.

boston curfew?

yes, what's this? and does it need to be added to the FAQ?

I was wondering the same thing - after doing some research, it looks like there may be a couple of legal curfews in effect in Boston. I couldn't find a single good descriptive source but generally there seems to be a youth curfew after 11:PM. Some sites state that it only applies to live music venues though. There's another curfew on the Boston Common after a shooting there in 2007 that closes the park from 11:PM - 6:PM except for people 'passing through'. I'm guessing the reference above was about the number of homeless and other folks out on the streets who would normally be in the common at night.

Any Bostonians want to weigh in on this? If there are, in actuality, any legal curfews set up in Boston then it would definitely be a good thing to add to the FAQ.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    SmallLady wrote:
    tvethiopia wrote:
    Frugus wrote:
    - It's not fun to walk back home during the Boston Curfew.

boston curfew?

yes, what's this? and does it need to be added to the FAQ?

I was wondering the same thing - after doing some research, it looks like there may be a couple of legal curfews in effect in Boston. I couldn't find a single good descriptive source but generally there seems to be a youth curfew after 11:PM. Some sites state that it only applies to live music venues though. There's another curfew on the Boston Common after a shooting there in 2007 that closes the park from 11:PM - 6:PM except for people 'passing through'. I'm guessing the reference above was about the number of homeless and other folks out on the streets who would normally be in the common at night.

Any Bostonians want to weigh in on this? If there are, in actuality, any legal curfews set up in Boston then it would definitely be a good thing to add to the FAQ.
    Frugus wrote:
    I keep seeing posts about curfews...

Yeah guys... I'm sorry, I've been corrected by a few people telling me that I've been wrong about this. There are no curfews in Boston. Instead, as per tvethiopia, liquor cannot be served in bars past 2.

Why did I say there was a curfew? To be honest it's something I assumed from seeing how many people were going back home around 2 am, and I'm not talking about the PAX crowd. Since my hotel was a further from the site I also ran across a good number of people who were on their way back from various St-Patrick celebrations. That plus all the police officers in the streets... Oh well, I should have guessed that cops would be there for night when a lot of celebrating is going on.

So sorry folks, I assumed, and assumption is the mother of all gooseups.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
    The subway stops running by 1am, and that sort of acts as a curfew for some.

The curfew thing has been asked and answered. Read through the first two or three pages of this thread for the discussion.

One thing about getting cabs after the subway shuts down:

Your best bet is to just wait in the line right outside the convention center. Don't try and walk upstream or downstream thinking you'll nab a cab before it gets to the queue. Cab drivers absolutely do discriminate about who they decide to stop and pick up, and they would much rather grab someone coming out of a hotel, theater, or a convention like ours than to grab someone on the street who has a higher chance of drunkenly puking in the cab.

Source: Cab driver I chatted with when I got a ride after a midnight movie got out.

• Staki9Staki9 Registered User new member
    edited January 2012
    A few friends and I want to go to PAX this year, it'll be our first time. We're trying to find a good way to get there.

We're in Toronto, Ontario, and we need an affordable way (not a plane) to get there, preferably a train.

Is there any trains that run from Toronto to Boston?

Thanks in advance c:

Staki9 on