As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I love cats. I love every kind of cat.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    your dad's a good vet :)

Yes he is!
    godmode wrote:
    Puppy update: Roommate isn't on board.

Yet.

Aw, boo!

• Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    You know what you have to do godmode

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I have to tell him to stop being a moron. I've been caring for his dog when he goes places for over a year. It's time for him to start being more accommodating.

godmode on
  • JerickJerick Registered User regular
    So I have an adult male cat who is just over a year old, who is terrorizing my adult female cat who is about 3 years old now. I'm assuming that is what is causing her to pee out side the litter box all the time, she will pee outside of it even if we just changed it. We took her to the vet to check to see if she has any UTI's and she checked out clean. I'm at my wits end at this point we really don't want to have to surrender her to the shelter but we can't keep having her peeing around the house. What do you guys suggest?

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    So some asshole abandoned a puppy at work the other day, apparently. And I don't mean like a one year old or 6 months ... this thing is weeks old. Left it in a box.

Firstly, I hope karma beats their ass in with a pointy stick. Secondly and thankfully, a co-worker who's bottle-fed a lot of animals has temporarily adopted the little guy/girl. The good news was that the dog's been around work for the last few days, and while I've had plenty of playtime with baby goats, puppies are new to me. Well, before they're at that age where you can take them from mom. But when they're little and squirmy and eyes closed? Oh god I lost all manliness around that little guy. I so wish I could have a dog.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I'll never understand what possesses people to abandon animals like that. There are shelters virtually everywhere that will take an animal off the hands of an owner that can't care for them anymore.

• ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    hgFZC.jpg

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Mental note, little Sammy does not like his leash at all. The collar is an annoyance as well. With no leash he'll follow me all day long in the back yard. However going somewhere in public then is a pain in the ass.

Then he does something cute and I can't be mad about his hatred of the demon leash.

Sammy_07Jan2012.jpg

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    such a cutie!!

hope he can get used to the leash
    if no luck on the collar, maybe try a harness?

• ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    That's a great looking Heeler pup, good markings too with the double mask.

I had a red heeler pup for a little while, a few years ago, but gave him up to a friend with a cattle farm when I realized my apartment and him were a bad fit. (for both of us)

All my dogs have hated leashes as puppies, but they get used to them as they grow up.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Twin Cheetah Cubs Await Names

98214167.jpg41896634.jpg
    The Wilds in Ohio just finished their naming contest for their twin cheetah cubs, one male and one female, born on Octotber 31 to mom Tabu. We hear they are down to 4-6 sets of names but thought you'd like to see these babies as they decide. This is the second litter for Tabu but the first she is raising on her own. She's doing a great job, and has been very protective of her two little cubs.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Man, I tried to put caps on our cats claws this weekend, and they just were not having it, and one little asshole put a huge 2-3 inch long gouge in my finger.

We might try having the vet do it, but has anyone ever heard of cats that were bothered by them so much that they pulled at their capped claws until they bled? I'm not so protective of my furniture that I just must have these, but they sure would be nice.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Septus wrote:
    Man, I tried to put caps on our cats claws this weekend, and they just were not having it, and one little asshole put a huge 2-3 inch long gouge in my finger.

We might try having the vet do it, but has anyone ever heard of cats that were bothered by them so much that they pulled at their capped claws until they bled? I'm not so protective of my furniture that I just must have these, but they sure would be nice.

What about getting their claws trimmed?

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    We can cut them ourselves, but that just replaces one sharp, piercing point with 4 non-piercing, but still sharp points.

If I could blunt them somehow, that'd be great.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Don't think there's much you can do, shy of declawing.

Which can be kind of cruel.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Septus wrote:
    We can cut them ourselves, but that just replaces one sharp, piercing point with 4 non-piercing, but still sharp points.

If I could blunt them somehow, that'd be great.

Alternative is to make sure they have something they can scratch

• FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote:

I would dispute the 'kind of'.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    So this seems to be the general purpose pet thread? Here's a picture of my sister's dog.

391148_2803691616017_1370419557_3017203_1109513304_n.jpg

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    404855_10150576814515941_744805940_11294061_901193386_n.jpg

Joxer helps take down the christmas decorations.

BLM - ACAB
  • FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote:
    404855_10150576814515941_744805940_11294061_901193386_n.jpg

Joxer ate too many christmas lights.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Work has been keeping me away from home way too much, i miss my dog

IMG_0608.jpg

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I must've had a hell of a night kicking and sleeping, because Gus normally sleeps on the foot of the bed with me, and this morning he had pulled out one of my dresser drawers (he learned he could do this as a kitten, on looser drawers) and was sleeping on my tees.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Izzy just got her flea prevention drops put on and she is so mad and sulky now. It's adorable.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • BeyondBeyond Nerd Slayer In the SkyRegistered User regular
    cute-kitten-in-glass.jpg

Awww @ all the doggies!
    Jerick wrote:
    So I have an adult male cat who is just over a year old, who is terrorizing my adult female cat who is about 3 years old now. I'm assuming that is what is causing her to pee out side the litter box all the time, she will pee outside of it even if we just changed it. We took her to the vet to check to see if she has any UTI's and she checked out clean. I'm at my wits end at this point we really don't want to have to surrender her to the shelter but we can't keep having her peeing around the house. What do you guys suggest?

Have you tried the following?:

- Multiple litter boxes, so she has her own
    - Feliway plug-ins
    - Giving her her own quiet space? (Perhaps if you have a spare room, you could insert a cat door into which only she has entry?)
    Framling wrote:
    Goatmon wrote:

I would, too.

Don't ever declaw.
    JoeUser wrote:
    Alternative is to make sure they have something they can scratch

This... we have plenty of scratching posts, and our cats have never scratched the furniture. :)

So...

Mori and I were in bed, snuggling, and of course Creepy Cat (aka Shara) had decided to leave her comfy seat and follow us into the bedroom. After a few seconds she jumps up onto my chest, stares at me, crosses over onto Mori's chest, slides down and decides, oh hey, here's a comfy spot, I'll sit RIGHT HERE IN BETWEEN YOU and watch you guys.

Mori laughed so loud he coughed, and then Shara grew offended and glared at us, jumped up and walked (stalked) away.

She is back on her shark right now, which is looking rather bedraggled and squished these days. On our next trip to IKEA we may just have to pick up another one.

shark.JPG

Pretty much every day we return home from work we find her in that position, and her sister up high on the cat tree.

The white specks on the lovesac are bits of the shark's stuffing that have started to shed.

• aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    8YegF.jpg
    This is my kitty, just hanging out in the dining room with my cosplay progress.

aikoe on
    PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    They need to make a collar that doesn't mat down hair so cats with poofy manes can be as splendorous as possible.

MadEddy wrote:
    Izzy just got her flea prevention drops put on and she is so mad and sulky now. It's adorable.

That's such a weird reaction, why does that happen?

317006_854951004674_50301878_38573446_1930895071_n.jpg

FU7kFbw.png
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Is your sister's dog a Rat Terrier @maximumzero? My parents have one and she is adorable, but hyper as hell until recently. I'll have to see if I can find some pictures.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Framling wrote:
    Goatmon wrote:

I would say it depends on how much time they spend outdoors, if any.

If they're strictly an indoor cat, it's not quite as big a deal. It's still cruel, but not nearly so compared to an outdoor cat. Either way, better to get them a scratching post or something instead.

A cat without claws is a sad thing.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Anialos wrote:
    Is your sister's dog a Rat Terrier @maximumzero? My parents have one and she is adorable, but hyper as hell until recently. I'll have to see if I can find some pictures.

She's a mix of something but she was a shelter rescue so we're not entirely sure what she's a mix of.

FU7kFbw.png
    No, it's cruel regardless.

It's equivalent to getting your fingers chopped off to the first knuckle.
    In a survey of 276 cat owners, 34% reported post-surgical discomfort in their cats while 78% reported primarily tenderness.[6] Recovery time took from three days to two weeks. Increased biting strength or frequency was reported in 10 cats (4%) but overall, 96% of owners were satisfied with the surgery.
    At one veterinary teaching hospital, between 50 and 80% of cats had one or more medical complications post-surgery. 19.8% developed complications after release. Lameness was noted for 1–42 days (1 cat was still painful 96 months—8 years—later).[7]
    Even among private practitioners, medical complications are common; in one survey, 34.8% of 320 veterinarian surveyed reported long-term complications.[8]
    A study of two different surgical techniques found that 16% of those who underwent joint amputation developed lameness while only 5% who underwent bone amputation did.[9] 22% of the first group and 16% of the second experienced reopened wound.
    In one study, 16% of declawed cats developed behavior problems, and more declawed (55%) than intact (45%) cats were referred to a vet teaching hospital for behavior problems.[11]
    Eleven cats (4%) developed or had worse behavior problems post-operatively. Despite positive attitude toward declawing, 5 clients reported that their cats had developed litterbox and biting problems.[12]
    Behavior problems are a primary cause of cats being relinquished to shelters. In one study, when all factors were accounted for, overall odds of being relinquished to a shelter was 89% more likely for declawed cats as intact cats (1.89 compared to 1.00). Inappropriate elimination was 80% more likely in declawed (52.4%) as intact cats (29.1%).[13]

None of those stats sound good to me!

Declawing is outlawed in most of Europe, Brazil and Israel, is extremely uncommon in many other countries and it's really only the US and East Asia that carries it out... hmm.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    My cat was declawed because I was too little to really say anything about it or really think about it. He's alright and generally happy but I would rather he have his claws.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    my cats both have their claws and lots of scratching posts, so it's not really a problem. it's only slightly bothersome and mostly cute when rosa tries to climb up my legs when I'm standing up and not giving her enough attention.

We have scratching posts/items, and the cat condo is made of carpet to be scratched as well. We also keep our cat's claws trimmed so they're not razor sharp.

Unrelated picture

tumblrlwgjqlyvoa1qi1xfx.jpg

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    The shame is people think you can't train cats to stop clawing things like you could a dog and come up with this shit. You can train a cat exactly the same way as you would a dog via positive reinforcement and mild corrections. It's usually faster if you are consistent because cats tend to have longer immediate attention spans.

Yeah, I have fallen victim to the odd leg-claw, but it's always a mistake (and often my fault).

Really, cats will prefer to scratch on a proper scratching surface anyway. The only time I found our cats scratching the sofa was when they'd upturned their cardboard scratching post and couldn't easily use it (and we'd only provided one, anyway). They never scratched anything else, and now they certainly don't scratch anything, as they have plenty of scratching posts!

This discussion has been closed.