As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SW:TOR] Tanks like spanking.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    We don't have a combat log, but yeah, the difference is maybe not as far as tank vs. dps in WoW, but it's not *that* close either. Anecdotally, I can tell you that one of my guildmates who is a sentinel and another who a dps spec sage can kill single targets at least 20 or 30% faster than I can as a Guardian tank. It's the talents, and it's also the itemization of the gear. The better your gear gets, the more your itemization takes you away from maximum dps while theirs takes them toward it.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I'm leveling as a defense build JK. ended up taking biochem for the medpacks and stims. Should I have gone synthweaving or should I be shooting for quest/pvp gear for heavy armor?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I've gone synthweaving on my Guardian and it was nice while levelling to craft stuff for myself, although you'll have to face the reality that you will get a lot of Orange gear from quests and flashpoints that you might like the look of and it's trivial to keep it updated with appropriate mods while levelling.

That being said, I've just now (level 45) gotten to the point where the Artifact level stuff I'm REing (particularly Tier 2 Prefix Artifacts) is of vastly better quality than Modded Oranges I could get at the same and higher levels, particularly in areas of Shield & Defense that I focus on. But it costs a metric fuckton of money to craft and RE this stuff and pray I crit for the augment slot for my wearable items.

If you have the patience and the pocketbook for REing, go for Synthweaving. Biochem itself is useful in that you'll never have to pay for medkits and stims once you've crafted the resuable stuff you want, so it does have its charms to it too.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Beezel wrote:
    I'm leveling as a defense build JK. ended up taking biochem for the medpacks and stims. Should I have gone synthweaving or should I be shooting for quest/pvp gear for heavy armor?

Biochem is basically the crew skill in the game, because unlimited medpack/stimpack/adrenal is sick as hell. That being said, you just do what you like. I'm Synthweaving on my 48 Jedi Guardian, and the only piece of gear I'm wearing that I crafted is my bracers. My head/chest/belt/legs/boots are all oranges that I got in Flashpoints and I've kept up to date modded. The game is just designed for this to be the way to go, since you get free mods with commendations after every planet.

At 50 I'll craft some awesome purples for myself, but they'll be replaced by raid gear as soon as I can get it so there's that too. It's possible that the BoP purple stuff I can make myself will last for a while, but I doubt that too. I don't regret taking Synthweaving because I like being an armorcrafter, and they will likely update all of them as time goes on and what not, but you definitely didn't make a wrong choice.

For gear, your best bet is to run each flashpoint at level to get the drops, then when you hit 40 spend ~900 warzone commendations and get the orange set of gear from those. It's purely pve itemized, looks awesome, and you can update the mods all the way to 50.

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote:
    Beezel wrote:

Biochem is basically the crew skill in the game, because unlimited medpack/stimpack/adrenal is sick as hell. That being said, you just do what you like. I'm Synthweaving on my 48 Jedi Guardian, and the only piece of gear I'm wearing that I crafted is my bracers. My head/chest/belt/legs/boots are all oranges that I got in Flashpoints and I've kept up to date modded. The game is just designed for this to be the way to go, since you get free mods with commendations after every planet.

At 50 I'll craft some awesome purples for myself, but they'll be replaced by raid gear as soon as I can get it so there's that too. It's possible that the BoP purple stuff I can make myself will last for a while, but I doubt that too. I don't regret taking Synthweaving because I like being an armorcrafter, and they will likely update all of them as time goes on and what not, but you definitely didn't make a wrong choice.

For gear, your best bet is to run each flashpoint at level to get the drops, then when you hit 40 spend ~900 warzone commendations and get the orange set of gear from those. It's purely pve itemized, looks awesome, and you can update the mods all the way to 50.

Ah! this is excellent advice. I'll stay the course then.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    4/5 of war leaders set after tanking Hard EV last night.

So now have the 4 piece set bonus, 20% more absorbed by sonic/blade barrier. Buffed, I am now just over 20k HP, still some growing room... I'm just lazy about doing dailies for the implants/earpiece.

Just need the helmet now and I'll be a full terminator looking thingie.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Beezel wrote:
    Joshmvii wrote:
    Beezel wrote:

Ah! this is excellent advice. I'll stay the course then.

Should also be noted that some crating recipies (and mats) drop only on operations and world bosses, and that the items crafted with them are both extremely rare and comparable to operation gear.

Plus, you can craft gear for your companions too. As an amormech on my Powertech, it is very awesome that I have every one of my companions fully decked in the best gear I can make (that they can wear) and can bring any one of them out at a whim and not have to worry about their gear being up to spec. If I remember right, JK has two companions that use Sythweaving gear, so that two characters you can keep up to date without spending any quest rewards/commendations on them outside of earpieces, implants or weapons.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    leveling up as a JK guardian (tank) do I want to never leave the defensive stance once I get it?

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    There's absolutely no reason to ever not be in Soresu, no. It even persists through death so you don't even need it on your bar, really.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Aegis wrote:
    There's absolutely no reason to ever not be in Soresu, no. It even persists through death so you don't even need it on your bar, really.

Pretty much true for any tank stance in this game.

In fact, with every class that has stances (Jedi Knights, Sith Warriors, Bounty Hunters, Troopers, and the Jedi Shadow and Sith Assassin ACs) each tree is dedicated to a single stance, and since you pretty much have no reason ever to leave that stance after level 20-25 or so, there is no reason to have any form/cell/cylinder/technique/charge on your quickbars.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    What's a good target to start tanking Hard Modes?

Right now my assassin just jumped to 16k health, 24% defense, 39% chance to shield and 32% absorb.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I swap between Combat and Force stance still at level 18. Generally use Force for the bit of extra damage when I'm just out questing, and bust out the Combat for Elites.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, I really should just take my two charges off my bar. I think at this point I have pressed my charges accidently more than anything.

I would only recommend keeping it on the bars if you are not tank-specced because you might be able to buy healers a few seconds with a taunt. But I will say that charges cost half your force, and I bet other stances are similarly pricey.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Anyone have a baseline for Armour Reduction we should be aiming for/able to meet? Levelling to 47 now and I seem to be stuck hovering in the 40-42% range without much variation either above or below. Or does it just essentially take care of itself as you gain level-appropriate gear?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Shit, I've been in the 34% forever now (44). Well, 36% with talents.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Aegis wrote:
    Anyone have a baseline for Armour Reduction we should be aiming for/able to meet? Levelling to 47 now and I seem to be stuck hovering in the 40-42% range without much variation either above or below. Or does it just essentially take care of itself as you gain level-appropriate gear?

It takes care of itself. You also start to hit pretty serious DR around the 40-42% range. At 50, with 6500 armor, I am still just a tad over 42%.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I'm like 42.5% on my 50 Jedi Guardian, not in terrific gear. Not bad gear mind you, just not in purples and 50+ mods yet.

• Options
    You know, it takes some of the magic out of Star Wars to think that Luke wasn't actually strong with the Force, he just got a +50 Force Power bonus from his Black Robes of Brooding and Constructed Lightsaber

• Options
    Houn wrote:
    You know, it takes some of the magic out of Star Wars to think that Luke wasn't actually strong with the Force, he just got a +50 Force Power bonus from his Black Robes of Brooding and Constructed Lightsaber

My Force Power bonus from my lightsaber is ~540 right now. My lightsaber puts the lotion on the skin for Midi-chlorians it seems.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Sith Assassin Tanks:

How the hell do you have your buttons laid out? I'm completely overwhelmed with them. I don't want to disable my companion hotkeys (Ctrl-1, ctrl-2, etc) but it's looking like I might have to. I already have a second row of alt-1 through =, although my hands naturally focus on 1-5 or so and going beyond feels... awkward.

Just hit level 30, so I have Force Pull and Mass Mind Control now, so in theory I can tank a bit better, but finding Flashpoint or even Heroic groups is kinda a pain in the arse. Would like to practice a bit.

KiTA on
  • Options
    KiTA wrote:
    Sith Assassin Tanks:

How the hell do you have your buttons laid out? I'm completely overwhelmed with them. I don't want to disable my companion hotkeys (Ctrl-1, ctrl-2, etc) but it's looking like I might have to. I already have a second row of alt-1 through =, although my hands naturally focus on 1-5 or so and going beyond feels... awkward.

Just hit level 30, so I have Force Pull and Mass Mind Control now, so in theory I can tank a bit better, but finding Flashpoint or even Heroic groups is kinda a pain in the arse. Would like to practice a bit.

I can't speak for others, and I'm a Guardian, but I do have 25 bound hotkeys I use regularly. The main ones are 1-7, q,w,e,r,t,y,v, then a whole bunch with shift modifiers, like shift-e, d, f. I also use z, x, and c for defensive type cooldowns. I have a very particular setup, but I can hit all 25 without any trouble and in an instant.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Shit, I've been in the 34% forever now (44). Well, 36% with talents.

Are you Shadow/Assassin? Because that's the same for me. I'm only in mainly blue 48 mods at 50 though. I do, however, have nearly 50% shield chance with Kinetic Ward up. I think they're relying on Shadows/Assassins to use shield chance and shield absorb rather than defense and armor, but I somehow doubt it's even.

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    KiTA wrote:
    How the hell do you have your buttons laid out?

First bottom bar: 1-6 then alt + 1 - alt+6
    second bottom bar: F1 - F12
    Left Bar: Shift + F1 - f5, then B, R, F, H, X, Q, E
    Right Bar: skip 2 for misc stuff (like mission items that I actually have to click), then Ctrl + 1 - 2, ctrl + f1 - f4, t, shift + t, ctrl + t, alt + t

I have a logitech 6500 mouse, so one extra button is my companion attack target command and one is autorun.

I guess I could do where my abilities are located at (this is as a JK guardian tank):
    Left bar:
    s + f1: strength relic
    s + f2: strength stim
    s + f3: empty
    s + f4: empty
    s + f5: empty
    B : challenging call
    R : taunt
    F : force leap
    H : hilt strike
    X : aoe slow
    Q : saber throw
    E : force kick

1st bottom bar:
    1: strike
    2: sundering strike
    3: blade storm
    4: guardian slash
    5: slash
    6: cyclone slash
    alt + 1: master strike
    a + 2: riposte
    a + 3: back hand
    a + 4: pommel strike
    a + 5: the instant force builder
    a + 6: status effect cleanse

2nd bottom bar:
    f1: force sweep
    f2: force stasis
    f3: force push
    f4: empty
    f5: empty
    f6: empty
    f7: enure
    f8: blade ward
    f9: the defensive tree 3 min buff
    f10: introspection
    f11: companion + self healing dot (20min cd)
    f12: force might

Right bar:
    empty
    empty
    c + 1: Aclarity relic
    c + 2: medpac
    c + f1: soresu
    c + f2: shicho
    c + f3: guard
    c + f4: sprint
    t: mount
    s + t: empty
    c + t: fleet pass
    a + t: bind travel

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    My bindings as Assassin
    1 Saber Strike
    2 Shock
    3 Recklessness
    4 Whirlwind
    5 Mind Control
    Shift1 Adrenal
    Shift2 Spike
    Shift3 Wither
    Shift4 Medpac
    F Thrash
    x Maul
    C Force Lightning
    R Overload
    Q Jolt
    E Electrocute
    V Unbreakable Will
    ShiftF Assassinate
    ShiftX Dark Ward
    ShiftC Force Speed
    ShiftR Discharge
    ShiftQ Crushing Darkness
    ShiftE Force Slow
    ShiftV Deflection
    CtrlF Force Grip
    CtrlC Mass Mind Control
    CtrlX Overcharge Saber
    CtrlR Lacerate
    CtrlQ Tumult
    CtrlE Mind Trap
    CtrlV Channel the Force
    Mid Mouse Stealth
    Shift + Mid Mouse Blackout
    Ctrl + Mid Mouse Force Cloak
    Mouse 4 Guard
    Shift + Mouse 4 Force Shroud
    Ctrl + Mouse 4 Pass Hutt Ball

F5 (bound to G5 on keyboard) Seethe
    F6 (bound to G6 on keyboard) Speeder
    Holy shit

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AlxHelAlxHel Registered User regular
    Any tips for level 30ish Vanguard. Trying to find a nice natural run for my abilities. Can't settle on anything comfortable at the mo. Using mainly 1-6 and shift+1-6 comfortably.

• Options
    Vanguard is kind of like a wow Paladin, in that if you just turn your keyboard face down and press down over and over you will win.

Seriously though, I use 1-6, qwerty, zxcv, and a bunch of other stuff that's really natural for me to hit with my left hand. Everybody has their own thing though.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I expanded to the right of my ASDW, using E/R/T/F as different buttons, and shift E/R/T/F (where E, shift+E, R, shift+R are the 4 defensive cooldowns). I turned off keyboard turning and made A/S strafe, and remapped Q to target nearest enemy. (Which often works better especially with bigger monsters, who can occupy a giant part of your screen to click if your not awesome with zooming out, top down, camera management). Reaching beyond 6 is a pain for me, I have only long cooldowns there.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I just grabbed a Razer Naga (the wired one, I'm not made of money) and after a few days with it I can safely say it's pretty fucking great. The mobility and situational awareness granted by having 24 abilities (12 buttons and alt+12 buttons) on your thumb is just amazing.

My only gripe is that now I'm actually focused on the center of the screen and I still have to look down to verify cooldowns and my rage meter. Can't wait for UI mods.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Main combat abilities, i.e. things I'm going to use several times in a fight, are on the top middle bar, with the most frequently used being 1-6.

Main support abilities, which are ususaly on long CDs or uncommonly used, but things either need to be activated asap (like interrupts and the CC breakers) or are tedious to activate via clicking (like targetable AoEs) or on the bottom bar, and assigned shift+# keys, with the most frequently used being Shift+1-6.

Everything else... I click... and I've yet to have a situation where I went "Damn, we would have beaten that guy if [insert ability I don't have within easy keybound reach here] wasn't something I clicked!" Even in WoW raids and pretty much every MMO's PvP I've played.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I just grabbed a Razer Naga (the wired one, I'm not made of money) and after a few days with it I can safely say it's pretty fucking great. The mobility and situational awareness granted by having 24 abilities (12 buttons and alt+12 buttons) on your thumb is just amazing.

My only gripe is that now I'm actually focused on the center of the screen and I still have to look down to verify cooldowns and my rage meter. Can't wait for UI mods.

I really have to teach myself to use my naga. My wife and I both bought them, and have yet to put the extra buttons to use. It's so hard for me to give up using my left hand to hit everything after a decade and a half of PC gaming that way, but I really want to, because that's the whole reason we bought them.

Joshmvii on
  • Options

You must learn the sacred Eastern Art of Zen Screen. Let your focus go, grasshopper, until you are seeing all things at once. Only then will you progress to the title of Master.

(Seriously, this phenomena is the only reason I was able to beat Megaman X as a kid.)

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote:

You must learn the sacred Eastern Art of Zen Screen. Let your focus go, grasshopper, until you are seeing all things at once. Only then will you progress to the title of Master.

(Seriously, this phenomena is the only reason I was able to beat Megaman X as a kid.)

Actually I'm already there. I just get mesmerized by the slick animation of my character going in dry on every enemy to which he leaps.

I question how useful it would be for a class with a lot of cast time/channeled abilities, though.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Just to keep the conversation moving, but I am really loving the ranged tanking aspect of the powertech (although I'm still having a hard time making the mental switch).

Last night we were trying to 3-man Field Commander Anhur, a boss in one of the Belsavis heroic dailies. He's mostly stationary, doing a bunch of explosive shots and orbital strikes and the aoe was pretty much just raping us. So after two or three tries of trying to straight up tank him and run out of the circles, I finally wised up and tried the ranged approach. Jet pack in, rocket punch, flame burst a couple times, then run back out to about 20 yards or so and unload. Whenever he put a circle on the ground under me, I either strafe out of it or (much better) jet pack in and whack him a few times, then run out again.

Our marauder dps was able to stay on him the whole time without having to worry about the aoe, and the healer wasn't running all over the place trying to keep up. Plus it just feels so much more active and controlled than your typical 'stare directly at the bosses crotch' for the whole fight. To top it all off, he dropped a purple lvl 50 implant with tank stats. Good times!

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Mechanics question:
    I read somewhere that damage reduction tops out at 75%. Does this count shield absorbs? For instance, I'm currently at 51% from armor/talents, and 40% absorb, which would make a ~70% reduction on absorbed hits. It's not unfeasable to push that up further, half my gear is still l50 blues/purples. Since the 2min CD is a straight up +25% bonus on your direct reduction, it'd mean that during that my shield absorb would already do nothing.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Good question, as I am already at 35% or so absorb as a fresh 50.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Pretty sure it's that ARMOR REDUCTION tops out at 75%, which is almost unattainable because of DR. It would take nearly infinite armor to reach that much absorb (it's like a black hole of game mechanics).

The damage calculation, from what we can tell, goes like this:

Defense. If you defend, it all stops here.
    Talent Shields. If you have a talent shield (Sonic Barrier, et al), this happens here. This could short circuit out if it's a complete absorb.
    Shield. If you shield, absorb X% damage.
    Armor. Whatever is left is reduced by armor.

Since shield is a chance based thing, it's not additive to your armor. It's a pre-step, before the damage ever reaches your armor reduction.

• Options
    That's the way I understand it as well.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2012
    I've been wondering about that, since it feels like my talented shield absorbs fuckall and goes away in one hit against anything elite+.

The other stats reduce by a percentage; the shield is probably a static amount. Possibly stat-derived.

Echo on
  • Options
    Echo wrote:
    I've been wondering about that, since it feels like my talented shield absorbs fuckall and goes away in one hit against anything elite+.

The other stats reduce by a percentage; the shield is probably a static amount. Possibly stat-derived.

It seems to be static amount, yes. It's Power Word: Shield Lite, rather than Block. It absorbs a set amount and then falters, but while it has buffer, it absorbs 100%.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    GnomeTank wrote:
    Echo wrote:

It seems to be static amount, yes. It's Power Word: Shield Lite, rather than Block. It absorbs a set amount and then falters, but while it has buffer, it absorbs 100%.

Are you saying even if the shield is only like 2000 damage, if you use it before a 10k hit it'll absorb all 10k? Because if so, that's going to get nerfed. I would love if that's how it works as a Guard tank, but it would just be too strong as a tool if you can predict a big incoming hit.

Joshmvii on