As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MISC] PAX East: Canadian meetup?

mathewhmathewh Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in PAX Archive
Is there a Canadian PAX East meetup happening this year? We (three friends and myself) are driving down from London, Ontario and would love to high-five fellow syrup breathers.

Moe Fwacky on

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I'll be flying in from Windsor, Ontario. See you there!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    If you plan one, I'd love to attend :)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • mathewhmathewh Registered User regular
    @smalllady, @paynetrayne: it's my first year at pax east. have you been? any ideas where to meet up?

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    I'd meet some other Canadians. There're a bunch of us from Ottawa driving down.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
    @testsubject23 - how long is your drive from ottawa? see you then/there! how will we get in contact with one another? are youse on twitter? my name is @mathewh if so...

Yeah, I'm on the twitters. @test_subject_23
    It's about 8 or 9 hours from Ottawa, depending on traffic, etc. Bit of a long haul, but still manageable.

Guess we should pick a time and place for this thing? :? I'm not sure quite what to suggest... one of the evenings, maybe? Dinner even? Or should we just gather somewhere and hope for the best?

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
    yeah, maybe dinner is best! i imagine nearby places to eat are going to be stuffed with folks. gotta ask some boston folks what's good that's maybe a "hidden gem" or something that others won't find.

...of course having posted this here, that spot'll get taken too. ;)

• willowtasticwillowtastic NL, CanadaRegistered User regular
    My brother is flying from Calgary, and my boyfriend and I are flying from St. John's, meeting in Toronto, and driving to Boston. I'd love to meet other Canadians at PAX. :)

@willowtastic: man, a family event, huh? awesome! we'll try to meet up when we get there. safe travels!

• willowtasticwillowtastic NL, CanadaRegistered User regular
    @mathewh: We did this last year too. The drive is one of my favourite parts, esp the drive back, when all we did last year was talk about how awesome PAX was, and how we couldn't wait to go back! :)

• This-CatalystThis-Catalyst Registered User regular
    Torontonian here, driving down with three others from Toronto and hitting every Red Robin on the way. I'd be interested in a meetup, although I am committing to the ladies brunch on Sunday AM. :)

• squeakyboysqueakyboy Registered User regular
    Coming from Waterloo, ON. Flying through Buffalo.

• THE NINESTHE NINES Registered User regular
    Coming from Fredericton New Brunswick. Driving into Maine and train...ing(?) into TD Gardens. Aweeee yissssssss

"Edamame?! You know, Soy BEANS?! Well if you dont have it why is it ON THE BOARD?! TAKE IT OFF THE BOARD!!" -Edamame Enforcer
  • RooslinRooslin Registered User regular
    I'll be flying in from Windsor, Ontario. See you there!

driving from windsor ontario >.< how much are you paying for your flight? if you dont mind me asking

this is gonna be awesome. looking forward to a meetup!

• SpicyMeatsSpicyMeats Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'm flying into New York from Victoria for a few days of sight seeing, then bussing in early on Thursday, would love to meet up Thursday (or any night for that matter) if possible. (I have a friend flying in from Toronto 2 that i know would be into it)

SpicyMeats on
    qEGfoNG.png

• jjjewelsjjjewels TorontoRegistered User regular
    We're flying in from Toronto Thursday night (thanks to Porter's 50% off sale) and would love to meet up with all of you. We're staying until Tuesday evening.

• phillerphiller Registered User regular
    First-time poster, long-time reader. Going to my first PAX this year with a buddy; flying from Toronto to Boston on Thursday. Would be great to meet up with some Canada peeps during the con!

All Kinds of Philler: A pop culture podcast remarkably free of filler!
    Twitter: @phillerworks || @AKOPpodcast || Steam: mr_philler
    PAX East '14 Locations: || Classic Console Freeplay || Tabletop Area || Long Wharf Pre-PAX Game Night (Come say hi or trade buttons!)
    SpicyMeats wrote:
    I'm flying into New York from Victoria for a few days of sight seeing, then bussing in early on Thursday, would love to meet up Thursday (or any night for that matter) if possible. (I have a friend flying in from Toronto 2 that i know would be into it)

Hey! I'm coming from Victoria too! ^5

SmallLady wrote:
    SpicyMeats wrote:

Hey! I'm coming from Victoria too! ^5

I'm really excited. This will be my 3rd pax (first east). We should all start doing some Victoria meetups before prime, there are always enough of us on the clipper, and I can poach people for board game nights :)

qEGfoNG.png

I'd totally go to a Victoria meet up!

we are arriving in boston thursday at midnight. so that night is out for us. friday night? or at least for dinner might work best! your thoughts are welcome.

Friday's fine for me, as long as I'm back for the Protomen on time. ;)

camo_sig2.png
    @testsubject23: fair enough! for those who've gone to pax before, how much of a hit was it on your wallet?

also, is there a schedule posted yet? i looked on the pax site and don't see it.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    mathewh wrote:
    also, is there a schedule posted yet? i looked on the pax site and don't see it.

The PAX schedule doesn't get posted until a couple weeks before PAX.

I'd be down for a Sunday post pax get together

qEGfoNG.png

edited January 2012
    mathewh wrote:
    @testsubject23: fair enough! for those who've gone to pax before, how much of a hit was it on your wallet?

Wallet impact ranges widely based on how spendy you are.
    I'm pretty spendy, so for me the trip can cost in the $2000 ballpark, all told, with hotels, meals, swag, etc.
    Other people have done it for less...
    The hotels are the biggest expense, easily.
    I'm certain you can find more detailed answers in either the FAQ or the first timer's thread, but I am too lazy to search. :P

Edit:
    OK, I lied, there's this.

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • This-CatalystThis-Catalyst Registered User regular
    If you don't mind getting out of Boston proper, you can save some considerable cash.

I stayed at LaQuinta Andover last time: http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?propId=4043 With the VISA discount, cost us $50/night for two people. We got a room with a microwave and a minifridge, which let us make some sandwiches and snacks to bring to PAX each day. The complimentary breakfast was decent enough that we could have that meal taken care of too. Free parking and free wi-fi at the motel were also a plus.

As far as getting to PAX, it was usually just under 30 minutes to drive, so it was good we had the car. I understand that there's a commuter line as well, but I am not sure how much time that would add.

We'll be staying there again this year, but grabbing a bigger room with two queens ($65/night split 4 ways).

Also, the food thread is probably a good resource for saving cash. If you can avoid eating at the BCEC, it'll probably go easier on your wallet.

• tnkltnkltnkltnkl Registered User new member
    There's a group of 5 of us driving down from NB on thursday, and we'd love to attend a get together with some fellow canadians! We're not attending pax on friday either so there's lot of time to hang out. I'll personally be spending my thursday night at a club as it will be my 22nd birthday.

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Of course, if you stay nearer the show, you generally have a better experience. You can stay at bars later, not have to worry about taxi fees (because you fo' damn sho' ain't driving back on a good many of these nights), can stop off at the hotel mid-day to nap before the evening concerts or just drop off swag, and generally just cut down on down-time.

Also, if you stay at the hotel directly attached to the convention center (I am terrible at remembering the name), that's where all the Big Names stay too, and you can occasionally find them in the lobby just being awesome and hanging out with fans.

But since this isn't the hotel thread, allow me to address the pre-PAX party thing.

1) I'm in Toronto (or at least Oakville, and can commute) and we be totally down for something around there.
    2) I'll be driving down from here. I can't speak for my driver, but I think it would be super-neat to convoy down. Meet up on the other side of the border (just in case we have crossing woes), and just all zip on down together.
    3) I'm also on the Twitters - @danhulton. I'll be adding you folks shortly.

Imperfect on
  • sifupacesifupace Registered User new member
    we are coming from québec, we sleep at copley hotel

• MyaSharonaMyaSharona Registered User regular
    I'll be there representing the good ol Peterborough (ON) and have some friends from Milton potentially joining. I'll be watching this thread to see if this meetup/tweetup solidifies.

such a great response! friday night dinner then? that way people can still go to see evening festivities!

• GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    Yes please!

In a caravan of people driving down to Boston from Toronto. Friday dinner sounds lovely, but I really want to see the concert Friday night. We'll see what the lineup is looking like when the schedule gets posted.

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dinners are problematic, because if anyone wants to go to a concert, you HAVE to grab food-to-go and get in line early.

I'd be cooler with a fancy lunch. I know a damn good place, too. Pretty much right across the street from the BCEC, serves good pub food, and Sam Adam's Brick Red - an incredible auburn ale that they only serve in certain restaurants in Boston. It's never found outside the city, and never in a bottle or can.

Can't remember the name, mind you. If anyone's interested, I can Google it later, when I'm not mid-day at work. =3

• mishappmishapp CalgaryRegistered User regular
    My friend and I are flying in from Calgary Thursday so I would totally be down for a meetup. I will definitely keep watching this thread for details. Also if you want to add me on twitter it's @tonycosens

• phillerphiller Registered User regular
    Seems like most people won't get to Boston till Thursday night, so it sounds like Sunday might be a more likely date for a dinner. Anything major happening at end of or post-PAX that I'm forgetting?

All Kinds of Philler: A pop culture podcast remarkably free of filler!
    Twitter: @phillerworks || @AKOPpodcast || Steam: mr_philler
    PAX East '14 Locations: || Classic Console Freeplay || Tabletop Area || Long Wharf Pre-PAX Game Night (Come say hi or trade buttons!)
    we're actually heading back sunday morning, sadly. sorry @philler!

• MathrymMathrym Montreal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hey! I'll be taking the bus from Montreal. Hesitating between leaving Wednesday night (sleep in bus) and arrive at 7am or leave at 8am to get there around 4:30pm.