As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anyone know a good wireless adapter that works with Win7 64?

ApostateApostate PrinceSpaceRegistered User regular
I can't seem to find one and I'm tired of exchanging them. I'm using a Netgear WNDR 3700 for the router.

All the wireless adapters I have tried haven't worked. I get strong signals but the connection drops a lot of packets and I can barely stream anything without lots of interruptions and low quality. Online gaming is a mess. The PS3 and Xbox work just fine without issue. I just can't find one that works with my computer. Some research seems to indicate that a lot of these don't have very good drivers for Windows 7 64 bit.

Apostate on

• Options
    SnipethewolfSnipethewolf Registered User regular
    I used this for a little and had no issues. It was installed on laptop which runs windows 7 Home Prem 64bit. Yes its a cheap china company but from my experience so far its been one hell of a deal.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-WN722N-150Mbps-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B002WBX9C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325481196&sr=8-1

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    I used this for a little and had no issues. It was installed on laptop which runs windows 7 Home Prem 64bit. Yes its a cheap china company but from my experience so far its been one hell of a deal.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-WN722N-150Mbps-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B002WBX9C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325481196&sr=8-1

I'll give that one a try. Thanks.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    currently using this with my desktop. i'm running Win 7 64-bit and using whatever PnP drivers auto loaded when i installed it. it's paired up with a Linksys WRT310N. works pretty well, with strong signal in an apt. complex full of other people's routers.

keep in mind that wireless signals are a pain, and a lot of things can interfere with them. what's the distance between your machine and the router? got any other wireless type devices nearby? cordless phones? microwaves?

have you tried something like this?: http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-WIFI-Antenna-Reception-Booster/

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    currently using this with my desktop. i'm running Win 7 64-bit and using whatever PnP drivers auto loaded when i installed it. it's paired up with a Linksys WRT310N. works pretty well, with strong signal in an apt. complex full of other people's routers.

keep in mind that wireless signals are a pain, and a lot of things can interfere with them. what's the distance between your machine and the router? got any other wireless type devices nearby? cordless phones? microwaves?

have you tried something like this?: http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-WIFI-Antenna-Reception-Booster/

It's not the reception as far as I can tell. The signal is very strong and I get good ping for the most part. But if I try to load several webpages or download something from youtube or the like it just seizes up and starts dropping packets and the ping goes into the stratosphere and everything gets slow. I expect some higher pings obviously when downloading but not like what it's doing now. When I had the router wired directly to the computer it never came anywhere close to what it's doing now.

What's really weird is when I do speedtests the upload is often the same or faster than the download. This doesn't happen when wired. I even tested my phone via wifi and it downloads faster than the computer does.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Depending on where you live, you might a large number of other WiFi devices that are interfering with yours. If you have an Android phone, the program WiFi Analyzer is great for seeing what channels are occupied. I used that to find a channel with little or no networks using it, then switched the channel on my router.

Now the only thing that screws up my wireless is physical impediments, like all the concrete in my apartment complex.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I have a TP-Link TL-WN721N and it kicks ass.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    I'm using a Cisco/Linksys dual band USB adapter with win7 64bit and it works flawlessly for me.

Airport extreme for the router 2 rooms away and windows says I'm at 300mbit almost all the time.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    Just an update. Thanks to all for the suggestions. The TP-Link TL-WN722N works great. It's hard to imagine it cost all of $20 shipping included. I tried several other more expensive adapters before with no success. Speaking of which, fuck Belkin. I don't normally call out a company after only one tech support call but when their first and only step is "it's not our fault, call the company that made your router" I'm not going to be buying their stuff anymore.

I'm also using the WiFi Analyzer to see if there are other networks stepping on my bandwidth. It's free for the most part but there is one network that seems to pop in from time to time. I guess all I need to do is switch the channel? If I do that will I need to restart the other wireless connections, or will they switch on their own?

On a side note: I don't think I ever felt more like I was in a scifi movie than when I was using my phone with the WiFi Analyzer and looking at the "energy" readings.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you have pop-ins and pop outs of wireless networks, then it is most likley a "reflection". Just put your wireless network on a specific channel to avoid needless channel jumping.

I personally settled for a noname wireless receiver with realtek chip, because every stick I tried appeared to be equal in performance. Depending where your router is situated, I would suggest, to use a stick with an external antenna.