As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Doctor Who] Thread

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    At the end of the day, I think you're reading too much into that one line. Should he know more or less how long it is, considering all the circumstances? Absolutely. But he's still the Doctor and it's still Amy, hence the question.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Mvrck wrote:
    Daxon wrote:
    Mvrck wrote:
    Mvrck wrote:
    Why the hell did he ask how long it had been? He obviously had to have known to go to a point past his death at Silencio.

Did you forget the little fact that he's constantly screwing up when it comes to Amy and time? :P

Yes that's the obvious joke...except in this case he had to know exactly when he was going to since he had to go after he had died, and he went specifically on Christmas. Any other time, maybe would have made sense, but he was shooting for a specific date here, so the joke really fell short in my opinion.

Didn't you pay attention to the Tardis episode at all?

It's all about how she's the one who's actually driving and takes him to where he needs to go as opposed to wants to go.

Except in those cases he winds up someplace completely different or in a completely random time from when he intended, and even then it's few and far between. The Doctor gets when and where he wants to most of the time. Saying "The TARDIS did it" is a rubbish answer if it wasn't shown on screen that he wanted to go somewhere/when else instead. Listen, it didn't ruin the episode, it wasn't that huge of a deal. It just seemed like a forced joke that broke the scene up a bit for me.

Also, I guess lost in all of this, is the fact that apparently it's either 2012 or 2013 in that meeting. Depending on whether Amy was rounding up or down by saying 2 years since July 2011 at Silencio. I'm far more interested in this side of it. Who has been pretty consistent so far to try to ground itself in the present day. So is a two year jump going to be significant to the story somehow?

Every thing "present day" between "Aliens of London" and "The End of Time" was a year ahead of real time so I wouldn't expect it to have too much of an effect.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    God this new episode was gooey. How the heck can tree people make a time machine? There needed to be some explanation there. Way too much magic going on in the episode. I am not quite certain where Moffat's mind was at on this one.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote:
    God this new episode was gooey. How the heck can tree people make a time machine? There needed to be some explanation there. Way too much magic going on in the episode. I am not quite certain where Moffat's mind was at on this one.

Well TARDISes are grown. I like to assume the forest was some kind of distant relative species.

sig.gif
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    You guys who are saying this was too sentimental or too random... Have you seen Dr Who before? He`s been mad, lost, shit at time-travel, and very very random since the show started, and sentimental since, well, at least the start of nuWho, possibly since Pat Troughton started in 1966.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    poshniallo wrote:
    You guys who are saying this was too sentimental or too random... Have you seen Dr Who before? He`s been mad, lost, shit at time-travel, and very very random since the show started, and sentimental since, well, at least the start of nuWho, possibly since Pat Troughton started in 1966.

I wasn't saying it was too random. In fact I was kind of arguing against that. They tried to pass off a deliberate stop by the Doctor as having been random with what felt like a forced joke and/or didn't make complete sense given the situation. It was a super tiny nitpick that didn't affect the overall flow of the episode in any meaningful way for me, still loved it, thought it was pretty awesome.

But dear god, pointing out something that didn't work (for me, on a personal level) apparently means I've never seen Doctor Who, or don't "get it."

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Richy wrote:
    So the Christmas special.
    The mom accidentally saving the dad at the end was cheesy and predictable. Isn't Doctor Who supposed to have a body count? No one died, not even the person whose death was needed for the plot to work.

The military guys... did they serve any purpose? And how does a scared housewife hold three trained soldiers in full battle armour hostage with one whimpy 40s sidearm?

On the plus side, I loved the Doctor's tour of the house. "Water, hot, cold, lemonade." And the Magna Carta among the toys in the kids' room got a laugh from me.
    Moffatt's Christmas specials don't have bodycounts like RTD's. They're just harmless, crazy fun.

She was able to hold the military guys hostage with a gun because she convinced them to drop their weapons. Until that happened she was at their mercy.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Richy wrote:
    So the Christmas special.
    The mom accidentally saving the dad at the end was cheesy and predictable. Isn't Doctor Who supposed to have a body count? No one died, not even the person whose death was needed for the plot to work.

The military guys... did they serve any purpose? And how does a scared housewife hold three trained soldiers in full battle armour hostage with one whimpy 40s sidearm?

On the plus side, I loved the Doctor's tour of the house. "Water, hot, cold, lemonade." And the Magna Carta among the toys in the kids' room got a laugh from me.

The military guys are stupid because all soldiers of the third great and bountiful human empire are retarded

• DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    I thought the soldier thing was very sensible.

Very British for them to react like that, which is lovely.

• silverbuddysilverbuddy Registered User regular
    given their power armor
    I guess I wasn't the only one who saw their gear and thought "Brotherhood of Steel in Yellow" lol

• southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    I wasn't a huge fan of the episode. To me it didn't make a ton of sense and tried a little too hard for sentiment. The ending though made up for it in my eyes.
    Last years was still one of my favorite Who episodes in a while.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    southwick wrote:
    I wasn't a huge fan of the episode. To me it didn't make a ton of sense and tried a little too hard for sentiment. The ending though made up for it in my eyes.

Yeah, last year's special was much better than this year's.

sig.gif
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    Sarah Jane spoilers, kinda
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/oct/12/doctor-who-immortal-reveals-bbc

Anyhow the Doctor says there's no limit to the number of regenerations so that's that then.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Richy wrote:
    southwick wrote:

Yeah, last year's special was much better than this year's.

I watched last years thinking was this years. Sounds like I got the better.

Quire.jpg
    Krathoon wrote:

Moffatt's Christmas specials are lighter in tone than the series that's why I give them more slack story wise.

The finale was a bit anti-climatic but it wasn't enough to stop enjoying the good characters, excellent acting, decent script and imaginative world building.

Daxon wrote:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/oct/12/doctor-who-immortal-reveals-bbc

Anyhow the Doctor says there's no limit to the number of regenerations so that's that then.
    As long as the intend to explain whats changed I'm not bothered. Like the article say it was never going to end at thirteen. I heard that At some point in the old series the Master tries but fails to create a machine to add more Regeneration and the prize they offer the Master for fighting in the time war is a new set of regeneration so I guess the Timelords worked it out?

Quire.jpg
    edited January 2012
    Daxon wrote:

As long as the intend to explain whats changed I'm not bothered. Like the article say it was never going to end at thirteen. I heard that At some point in the old series the Master tries but fails to create a machine to add more Regeneration and the prize they offer the Master for fighting in the time war is a new set of regeneration so I guess the Timelords worked it out?

Moffatt's series answered that question in season 6.
    Melody Pond gave her remaining regenerations to the Doctor to heal him in "Let's Kill Hitler".

Harry Dresden on
    edited January 2012
    Daxon wrote:

Moffatt's series answered that question in season 6.
    Melody Pond gave her remaining regenerations to the Doctor to heal him in "Let's Kill Hitler".
    The standard interpretation of that is that she spent all her lives to let him survive. Its makes no sense that he needed another regen and wouldn't explain why he has infinite lives now. At most he'd get 11.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    The standard interpretation of that is that she spent all her lives to let him survive. Its makes no sense that he needed another regen and wouldn't explain why he has infinite lives now. At most he'd get 11.
    I'd take continuity in Doctor Who over a comment which could be a joke from the Doctor in a spin-off. That said, we never got a satisfying reason why Melody's regenerations saving him worked. I doubt it will ever be explored deeply in the show, anyway. What makes it more confusing is afterward I got the impression the injury wasn't as serious as he was letting on somehow since it was mentioned how the Doctor lies. If not that, why lie to Melody to take her regenerations?

I'd take continuity in Doctor Who over a comment which could be a joke from the Doctor in a spin-off. That said, we never got a satisfying reason why Melody's regenerations saving him worked. I doubt it will ever be explored deeply in the show, anyway. What makes it more confusing is afterward I got the impression the injury wasn't as serious as he was letting on somehow since it was mentioned how the Doctor lies. If not that, why lie to Melody to take her regenerations?
    Can't answer the last one but I believe(and I'll give that episode a review to be sure) the purpose of the regeration was to use the excess healing energy to heal him sort of like he did in children of time with his hand. I still don't think he has her lives. I'd think they would have mentioned that. While The Doctor may have been joking in Sarah Jane but if he was serious Sarah Jane is just as "Canon" as Doctor Who.

Quire.jpg
    Can't answer the last one but I believe(and I'll give that episode a review to be sure) the purpose of the regeration was to use the excess healing energy to heal him sort of like he did in children of time with his hand. I still don't think he has her lives. I'd think they would have mentioned that. While The Doctor may have been joking in Sarah Jane but if he was serious Sarah Jane is just as "Canon" as Doctor Who.
    True. It's just hard to tell since we have no confirmation either way.

Ok I'm watching through "Lets Kill Hitler' and am reminded of a part of the fandom I simply can't understand. The people who wonder what Amy sees in Rory. Rory is AWESOME. People should be asking the opposite question.

Quire.jpg
    edited January 2012
    Night:

People don't see why Amy loves Rory at this stage in the series?

Early on in season 5 I was skeptical myself, but he's proven himself now.

Harry Dresden on
    There are people. I don't get them.

Quire.jpg
    edited January 2012
    Night:

I've heard fans on the internet think Amy is a controlling harpy to Rory. Which is completely crazy.

Harry Dresden on
    Ok
    I'm at the point where the Doctor is in the Tardis analyzing the poison and discovers that the poison has disabled his regeneration. So he needed the healing power of a regen from River to heal but its not his own so he doesn't change. Yeah I don't think he got her lives.

Quire.jpg
  • GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    Either that, or his next renegeration with a female timelord(ish)'s lives will give us the first female Doctor Who

Timey wimey.

Gosprey wrote:
    Either that, or his next renegeration with a female timelord(ish)'s lives will give us the first female Doctor Who

Timey wimey.

That would be great. Moffatt has implied that it's possible with the Corsair.

Gosprey wrote:

Timey wimey.
    We already have it confirmed that sex is a choice so that could happen anytime.

Quire.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Ok I'm watching through "Lets Kill Hitler' and am reminded of a part of the fandom I simply can't understand. The people who wonder what Amy sees in Rory. Rory is AWESOME. People should be asking the opposite question.
    The answer:
    4d082473.jpg

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited January 2012
    Alright the exact wording for what river did was "You used up all your regenerations in one go"

Sounds to me like they are just plain gone but we are reminded of Rule 1 in that same scene so I can't help feeling suspicious.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    Alright the exact wording for what river did was "You used up all your regenerations in one go"

Sounds to me like the are just plain gone but we are reminded of Rule 1 in that same scene so I can't help feeling suspicious.

Exactly. We're not getting the full story. Maybe it'll be revealed in season 7.

Mr_Rose wrote:
    The answer:
    4d082473.jpg

:^:

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:

Yeah, well,
    he said that line in a very off-hand manner. Also, his line wasn't that there was no limit, he said he can regenerate 507 times. 5+7 = 12. And, in typical RTD style, he's kind of hinted that he wrote that line as a joke.

Because, seriously, 507 lives? It's like when Four said that he could regenerate 94 times or some such bollocks.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Yeah. Remember. The Doctor lies.

Also, in the last season, they deflated his godlike status. He feels more like the old Doctor again.

Krathoon on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    edit: wait, when are the next episodes coming?
    edit2: late 2012...

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    The answer:
    4d082473.jpg

:^:

You know, I try not to be that guy who fantasizes about science fiction things but ...

Hot damn there are times this thought will not leave my head

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Sounds to me like the are just plain gone but we are reminded of Rule 1 in that same scene so I can't help feeling suspicious.

That entire scene is sketchy as fuck.
    Time between arrival at Lake Silencio and time for the Doctor left before the poison kills him? Exactly the same. Changes into a tux? What? SOMETHING IS STILL FISHY.

I'm convinced there's shenanigans still to be revealed.

Also, damnit I want my pet theory to come true.
    The Doctor becomes the Valeyard and Amy/River/Rory team up and fly the Tardis around for a season stopping his evil.

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:

That entire scene is sketchy as fuck.
    ]

Nah, I think they'll leave it as is. They didn't go back to the previous season's Flesh build up like a lot of people thought, for the Death of the Doctor; I think things like this are thrown in just to leave room for speculation.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    edited January 2012
    SniperGuy wrote:

Also, damnit I want my pet theory to come true.
    The Doctor becomes the Valeyard and Amy/River/Rory team up and fly the Tardis around for a season stopping his evil.

I'd be surprised if the Valeyard concept isn't followed up on by Moffatt. He's already dropped hints about the Doctor's evil side with the Dream Lord and how he was going overboard rescuing Amy from Demon's Run. The series theme in Moffatt's run seems to be the Doctor becoming too much like a warrior for the greater good which would fit in with the Valeyard's personality. It also ties in with the Time Lord Victorious from Davies' run.

That said, I hope the big bad is Omega.

Harry Dresden on
This discussion has been closed.