As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX EAST 2012 FAQ AND INFORMATION THREAD. (PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    arsonisfun wrote:
    I found out about PAX Prime a bit late last year. (it was sold out) so this year, i am hoping to go, because i always thought that the big conventions were all in LA and NY and what not, but lo and behold, there is actually one within 20 miles!!
    but that is beside the point, my big questions, are:

--how much is a 3 day pass, and when do they go on sale?

--I am 15 years old. is there any restrictions,difficulties, or anything of that sort when i go there?

--how much is the stuff there, like merch and whatnot? (on average)

thanks for the help. hope i get a reply!

3 day passes are already sold out, they went on sale in early November.

You may have issues for booths with M-rated games.

Merch varies by the vendor and what you are looking to buy. Figure on T-Shirts in the $15-20 range. Stickers/etc for a few bucks.

Arson, he's asking about PAX Prime. It was just moved here because it's the FAQ thread.

• nataliepinataliepi Rogue Astronomer PARegistered User regular
    So, this may be an incredibly stupid question but I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere. Is there a shuttle that goes from the BCEC to the Holiday Inn Boston Brookline. It's one of the official Pax East hotels, but I am not sure if they provide shuttle service to it. :?

PAX East 2013 Checklist: 3-Day PAX Badge [x] Hotel [x] Travel [x] Time Off [x]
    t: @nataliepi | fb: fb.com/hernandeznlh
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    nataliepi wrote:
    So, this may be an incredibly stupid question but I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere. Is there a shuttle that goes from the BCEC to the Holiday Inn Boston Brookline. It's one of the official Pax East hotels, but I am not sure if they provide shuttle service to it. :?

It doesn't say shuttle on the Reservation page so I would say no. You could send an email to pax@onpeakevents.com.

JerYnkFan wrote:
    nataliepi wrote:

It doesn't say shuttle on the Reservation page so I would say no. You could send an email to pax@onpeakevents.com.

Or pax_questions@paxsite.com

• T.F. BidiaT.F. Bidia Registered User new member
    I am late to buy a pass this year. I noticed the three day passes are sold out. Do I have any other options than buying single day passes for all three days?

T.F. Bidia wrote:
    I am late to buy a pass this year. I noticed the three day passes are sold out. Do I have any other options than buying single day passes for all three days?

No other options that are sanctioned by PA. Three single day badges (F, S, Su) are the next step.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Besides taking a chance on buying a pass second-hand and hoping it isn't a counterfeit (note: pass sales are no longer allowed on these forums), nope.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    nataliepi wrote:

Last year, there was a shuttle that went to the Holiday Inn Brookline nine times a day. Definitely e-mail pax_questions@paxsite.com if you want to be sure.

Thanks all! I will be emailing pax_questions@paxsite.com soon!

• griff6659griff6659 Syracuse , NYRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any idea how close they are to announcing the schedule?

Well, that is a thing!

PAX East 2014:
    Hotel [x] Transportaion [Driving] Passes [x] Challenge Coin [Soon]

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    The schedule will not be announced until about 2 or 3 weeks before PAX. That's how it is, that's how it always is.

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky wrote:
    The schedule will not be announced until about 2 or 3 weeks before PAX. That's how it is, that's how it always is.

Really? I could have sworn last year my buddies and I were talking about what panels we wanted to go to way before that. Hmm damn time mushing together.

Well, that is a thing!

PAX East 2014:

griff6659 wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

Really? I could have sworn last year my buddies and I were talking about what panels we wanted to go to way before that. Hmm damn time mushing together.

Yup, always right before PAX. You may have been mulling over the previous year's list.

That could be very likely! Ah well looks like the wait continues!

Well, that is a thing!

PAX East 2014:

• OrmomackOrmomack Registered User new member
    edited January 2012
    I am new to this forum as of today, and I am just wondering...what is the total cost of PAX? I am not able to go to East this year, but with Prime badge sale just around the corner, I want to know what the total cost of the trip is (transportation, lodging, miscellaneous, etc.)

Also, I am 16, so will I be able to experience everything PAX has to offer?

(I am new to this kind of stuff, so sorry for the inconvience and vagueness)

Ormomack on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    You're going to have to be a little bit more specific than that. Someone who lives a mile away from the convention center, eats all of his meals at home and doesn't by anything on site is going to spend drastically less than someone who has to fly from Australia, must stay at the finest suite downtown has to offer, dines only at 4* establishments and buys one of everything at every booth.

The only for sure cost is the badge itself. East 3-day badges were $65, last Prime's were $60. Expect price to go up (if it does change) before it goes down.

• KankuiKankui Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hey there. Quick question about PAX East. I went to PAX EAST in 2010 but had to miss last year. There was a pretty big section of MtG there on the show floor where you could "learn to play" with actual cards and play online against someone. They even had a photo shoot with an Eldrazi! They gave out lots of swag, like a string backpack, cards, braclet that turned into a flash drive, etc.

Was all that there last year too? I am looking forward to geting as much loot as I can and do hope they will have it again this year! Thanks and sorry if I missed it, I tried to do a search, but didn't find anything! Thanks

Kankui on
  • OrmomackOrmomack Registered User new member
    I live near Pittsburgh, so it is a considerable distance away, and I don't need the fanciest accomadations/food, I want enough to get by there.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    There is always lots of swag to be had at PAX, and WotC definitely likes to give it out by the bushel. I wouldn't expect the exact same exhibit (for obvious reasons), but you can be sure that there will be plenty of loot and WotC is always prone to putting on a big display. So there should be something interesting :)

• BCOSBCOS Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'm sorry, maybe I'm an idiot, and it was right in front of me, but I could not find an email address or phone number to contact the organizers of PAX Prime, this year for information about the con. Am I looking in the wrong place? I have two or three questions for them, and haven't been able to find my answers in the forums or on the website (which appears to be still showing information from last year). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

BCOS on
    1. Maybe wait until after PAX East is done before asking questions about Prime. I can assure you, the PA staff isn't even thinking (or barely thinking) about Prime right now.
    2. pax_questions@paxsite.com

edited January 2012
    Heh. Fair enough. Although my questions were actually mostly about last year. I've asked on the forums, and the answers I got were cheerful, but rather vague. I'm trying to put together a business plan, and need to know how many people attend PAX Prime last year, and what kind of percentage did cosplay, what kind of costume events there were... My deadline is in the middle of February, so, yeah, I'm hoping to gather that information ASAP. PAX is probably the biggest convention in my target area, so information about it is rather key. I will continue to search. Thank you!!

BCOS on
    The turnstile attendance was right around 70k, but that's counting badge-people (aka person with a 3-day badge counts as 3). Dividing that by 3 for actual people attending is probably a safe estimate.

As for the number of cosplayers...that might be tricky to get an exact number on, since we're not exactly taking pictures of everyone who goes through every entrance of the building. I know there was a post-PAX survey, but I'm not sure if that was one of the questions. If it was, then you'll have to e-mail Khoo and Co. and hope he can actually share those numbers. If it wasn't, then all you really have is hearsay from those that were there.

To my knowledge, the only official event was a single cosplay panel.

edited January 2012
    If you go here: http://prime.paxsite.com/registration.php

There is a handy dandy link under "Exhibitors" to contact Exhibitor Sales. I bet they can get all the pertinent information for you, at least that information which they have.

Also, as whypick1 alluded to, cosplay exists at PAX but it isn't a "target demographic" per se. There are many folks that do it, but there aren't any PAX sponsored events that have anything to do with cosplay (so far). There was a cosplay panel which ran its own contest, but that was run by the panelists, not PAX itself. There are a few community-run cosplay meetups for pictures.

zerzhul on
    Thank you very much!

• mcjagger45mcjagger45 Registered User new member
    edited January 2012
    hey whats up everyone i was wondering if trion worlds new mmo defiance is going to be at pax east im really looking foward to more info on this game

mcjagger45 on
  • TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    mcjagger45 wrote:
    hey whats up everyone i was wondering if trion worlds new mmo defiance is going to be at pax east im really looking foward to more info on this game
    You'd be best served asking Trion directly. I don't think the devs/pubs tell PAX organizers what they are bringing each year (at least I didn't see that during last Prime.) People here will make a thread and update it when some dev or publisher sends out a notice of what they are bringing to PAX (East), but that's all on people seeking out info.

• BombSquadGamingBombSquadGaming Registered User new member
    arsonisfun wrote:
    I found out about PAX Prime a bit late last year. (it was sold out) so this year, i am hoping to go, because i always thought that the big conventions were all in LA and NY and what not, but lo and behold, there is actually one within 20 miles!!

--I am 15 years old. is there any restrictions,difficulties, or anything of that sort when i go there?

Merch varies by the vendor and what you are looking to buy. Figure on T-Shirts in the $15-20 range. Stickers/etc for a few bucks.

Umm..are you sure? East is still a couple months away, and PRIME isnt until Summer! i think you might be mistaken...

He thought you meant east, or was trollin

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    arsonisfun wrote:

Umm..are you sure? East is still a couple months away, and PRIME isnt until Summer! i think you might be mistaken...
    Prime badges aren't for sale yet. They will go on sale a month or so after East.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • GalFridayGalFriday Community and Social Media Manager NovatoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hey there, I have a question for all of you awesome PAX goers.
    What do you use the PAX map for? Do you use it to find out who has a booth at PAX? Do you only use it to discern the locations of your favorite booths? Do you forget that it even exists?

When I plan out my PAX trip I tend to look at the panel guide and check out the floor when there is not a panel to attend. I try to use the map to find out who will be there, but I end up finding it confusing and I just hover around the bigger and more noticeable booths. I am wondering if this is just me, or if the smaller booths are as hard to find on the map as I think they are.

What do you guys think?

GalFriday on
    @Ga1Friday is the twitter account I use to talk about everyday things. Sometimes work things. Lots of work things.
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Last year, I used the map to help me orient to the space, but I also used the Conventionist app on my phone to schedule where I wanted to go for panels, and other stuff.

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    GalFriday wrote:
    What do you use the PAX map for? Do you use it to find out who has a booth at PAX? Do you only use it to discern the locations of your favorite booths? Do you forget that it even exists?

When I plan out my PAX trip I tend to look at the panel guide and check out the floor when there is not a panel to attend. I try to use the map to find out who will be there, but I end up finding it confusing and I just hover around the bigger and more noticeable booths. I am wondering if this is just me, or if the smaller booths are as hard to find on the map as I think they are.

What do you guys think?
    I actually make my own maps and list them here on the forums soon after the official maps come out. I plan on doing that again this year for people to print out, but I'm also planning on including Expo Hall booths. The difference with mine is that they're more highly detailed and based on the floor plans of the building, so it's a bit easier to navigate them.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    dyaballikl wrote:
    GalFriday wrote:

What do you guys think?
    I actually make my own maps and list them here on the forums soon after the official maps come out. I plan on doing that again this year for people to print out, but I'm also planning on including Expo Hall booths. The difference with mine is that they're more highly detailed and based on the floor plans of the building, so it's a bit easier to navigate them.

The Dya maps are the best maps.

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:
    GalFriday wrote:

What do you guys think?

I use the Guidebook app, way better than any paper map!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Chorazin wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:
    GalFriday wrote:

What do you guys think?

I use the Guidebook app, way better than any paper map!

Guidebook is awesome, but last I checked it just imports the same maps that are printed in the programs and are available online. The Dya maps are so much more detailed and useful (and are also online).

• LigerLiger Registered User regular
    Truth! Dya's maps are awesome. I uploaded them to my tablet as jpegs and used them constantly for my own benefit, and for directing attendees around the show.

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    So, as a taste, here's the map I made for Prime 2011: map image. I'm going to get started fairly soon on redoing the layout for the BCEC map.

a.k.a. dya
    dyaballikl wrote:
    So, as a taste, here's the map I made for Prime 2011: map image. I'm going to get started fairly soon on redoing the layout for the BCEC map.

Wow, I didn't know you did these maps. Definitely looking forward to using them this year.

• SilverEternitySilverEternity Registered User regular
    Is there a Pre-Pax East bar crawl this year? Perhaps I am missing the thread, but I haven't seen any planning or posting about such an event. Or will there just be a natural transition after the Pre-Pax East dinner?