As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Rosewater spoiled Jar of Eyeballs on twitter today.

Short version: 3-mana rare, gets 2 "eyeball counters" whenever a creature you control dies. 3, tap, remove all eye counters: look at top X cards and put one in your hand (rest on bottom).

Basically a morbid version of Shrine of Piercing Vision, although note that it doesn't sacrifice to give you a peek.

I...I think I like this card. Not sure yet.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I presume the X is related to the number of eyeball counters you remove?
    Could be good with all the everliving dudes and a sacrifice outlet.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    I like the flexibility. Assuming mana isn't a problem (never a safe assumption, I know) you could use it after any creature dies as a 3-mana scry-2 at instant speed, or you could save it up as a safety valve, hold 3 mana until the opponent's end step, then uncork it when you need gas.

Wow. Token decks will have a field day with this. DoJ/Blasphemous Act/Life's Finale? Okay, just let me draw 10 cards on your end step ....

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    WuShock wrote:
    I like the flexibility. Assuming mana isn't a problem (never a safe assumption, I know) you could use it after any creature dies as a 3-mana scry-2 at instant speed, or you could save it up as a safety valve, hold 3 mana until the opponent's end step, then uncork it when you need gas.

Wow. Token decks will have a field day with this. DoJ/Blasphemous Act/Life's Finale? Okay, just let me draw 10 cards on your end step ....

You only ever get to draw one card per activation.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I really like Undying as an alternate to Persist.

I might just have to build an EDH deck that abuses both mechanics (and some +1/+1 and -1/-1 counter cards to really mess with things and combat math), though with Undying in Red and Green (so far), and Persist in every colour to a degree, I'm not sure I'd try to include all of them.

Also, ooooh, a creature DFC that changes into an Enchantment? Neat.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote:

Short version: 3-mana rare, gets 2 "eyeball counters" whenever a creature you control dies. 3, tap, remove all eye counters: look at top X cards and put one in your hand (rest on bottom).

Basically a morbid version of Shrine of Piercing Vision, although note that it doesn't sacrifice to give you a peek.

Decent in Commander.

Bad in any competitive format.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    metaghost wrote:
    You only ever get to draw one card per activation.

Oh ... *checks text again* ... oops. Nevermind.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:

Decent in Commander.

Bad in any competitive format.

Which doesn't really have anything to do with whether I like it or not. ;-)

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Drosgol Reaver 5UW
    Spirit (M)

Flying, double strike, lifelink

Whenever you gain life, draw a card

3/5

(Not posting card image to save them some bandwith issues. MTG.com can handle it.)

I am actively upset that I can't put this in my Vish Kaal EDH deck, which is BASED around lifelink.

So, what happens if this guy blocks/is blocked by a Consecrated Sphinx? Draw 3 or draw 6, and does the Sphinx's controller get to draw 6 or 12 cards?

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    ph blake wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Drosgol Reaver 5UW
    Spirit (M)

3/5

(Not posting card image to save them some bandwith issues. MTG.com can handle it.)

I am actively upset that I can't put this in my Vish Kaal EDH deck, which is BASED around lifelink.

So, what happens if this guy blocks/is blocked by a Consecrated Sphinx? Draw 3 or draw 6, and does the Sphinx's controller get to draw 6 or 12 cards?

2 for you, 4 for them.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    Elbasunu wrote:
    ph blake wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Drosgol Reaver 5UW
    Spirit (M)

3/5

2 for you, 4 for them.

Derp, of course his ability only triggers once no matter how much life you gain. Wow, not sure why I thought otherwise, that would be broken as all hell.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It'd sure make those 1 mana "gain 4 life" style cards a lot more powerful, that's for sure.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Vyolynce wrote:

You'll stop crying after you see the new Sorin Markov. :D

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    New Sorin.
    9xh27x1cck_en.jpg

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
    I love him.

Secrets of the Dead is really good, too.

It is. Burning Vengeance might become a thing now.

Looks like I'm off to the store tomorrow to grab two more Isolated Chapels.

oh h*ck
    edited January 2012
    Wednesday articles are up, including the new Sorin: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/stf/177

I'm not sure what to think about that ultimate yet.

Edit: Crap. I could have sworn those weren't there, Turkson. Today was apparently my herp derp day.

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

edited January 2012
    Oh yay. Another mythic dragon. I'll try and keep my enthusiasm to a dull roar.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=127144&d=1326259004

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
    edited January 2012
    WuShock wrote:
    Wednesday articles are up, including the new Sorin: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/stf/177

I'm not sure what to think about that ultimate yet.

A 6 point ultimate on a 3 point planeswalker that makes chump blockers is really easy to achieve. You're probably using his ultimate on turn 7. This means you're stealing 6-drops - titans, sphinxes, wurmcoils. Or else your opponent sees him and doesn't play their 6-drops, which is fine too.

It's likely to be problematic against Wolf Run ramp, because a good Wolf Run ramp deck is online before turn 7. They'll attack Markov (trampling through one of his vampire tokens) before you get to use him.

Even that's not horrible, because anything that buys you time against Wolf Run is good. And if you can keep him alive with a well-timed removal spell, all the better.

If you're playing against a token deck that doesn't have anything good to steal, or an illusions/Geist deck where everything has hexproof, just give yourself Orcish Oriflammes emblems instead.
    Turkson wrote:

Kaalia of the Vast says "hiiiiiiiii..."

Feral on

Feral wrote:
    Turkson wrote:

Kaalia of the Vast says "hiiiiiiiii..."

If I get one, which is most likely inevitable, I will stick it in my Kaalia Commander deck.

Along with all the other mythic dragons I own.

oh h*ck
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Sorin beats the stuffing out of JTMS in a head to head fight.
    Not only that, he then enslaves him!

I think I'm in love with that ultimate~

...What's that? Gideon? +1 +1 +1 -6 thank you for playing, please come again.

Lucedes on
    The 2BW cost is a bitch though, seems almost as limiting as M12 Garruk's 2GGG (In standard at least, and in modern/legacy you're probably playig Elspeth over this guy anyways). Not to mention W/B already has two bitching 4 drops in Hero of Bladehold and Bloodline Keeper (I swear this guy is good outside of limited).

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Really digging the new Sorin.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Chen wrote:
    In what existing deck does it fit though? It can't block so it'll just get crushed by various aggro decks. Unless there's some kind of free sac outlet with a good effect. Plus, it still needs other zombies to function well. It's comparable to Bloodghast, but at least that had a lord that gave it +2/+1 and flying.
    grimgrin + gravecrawler = B: put +1/+1 counter on grimgrin.
    gravecrawler + demonmail hailberuk = equip: B
    gravecrawler + grimgrin/demonmail + gutter grime = B: place ooze token and one of the above

and dangit I want dat sorin

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    even moooore tokens!

my b/w deck will greet him happily

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Totally digging Sorin, I've wanted a black/white planeswalker for a long time, second only to my desire for a blue/red planeswalker.

Pretty pleased that, despite my abysmal luck in Innistrad pulls, I did at least get a playset of the WB dual lands. They're currently in my Near Death Experience deck, but if there's a decent BW deck and I get lucky enough to pull a few Sorins, I'll definitely be taking them out.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    R/U planeswalker must be Niv-Mizzet. Seriously; return to Ravnica now that the barrier is down and introduce another Dragon-Walker, one as epic as Nicol Bolas.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Why do you have to remind me? Now I'll be disappointed if it's anyone other than Niv-Mizzet.

Seriously though, R/W got Ajani Vengeant, Garruk Relentless technically is B/G, now Sorin, and all the allied colours have a PW except like G/W. Time for Izzet to rule the multiverse, bitches!

Re: Sorin. Super Villians is a go?
    Re: dragon. Shivan Dragon is sadface. My Mayael EDH is going to love it though.

Also, Falkenrath Aristocrat is awesome. Vampire-zombie alliance?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    All money points to the U/R walker being Dack Fayden.

Also.

Turn 3, Timely Reinforcements.
    turn 4: Sorin, Anthem, swing for 6

feels gooooood

Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:

You'll stop crying after you see the new Sorin Markov. :D

My first reaction to seeing that this morning: "Holy crap, they printed my Invitational card!"

I don't usually pre-order singles, but DAYUM. The fact that he's gonna start at $50 a pop will curb that impulse, I'm sure.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    I was already thinking about a W/B with Thraben Doomsayer making tokens to feed to Archdemon of Greed. The new Sorin suggests that you could play a W/B version of White Weenie where your win conditions are 1. normal WW, 2. Sorin-buffed weenies, 3. Archdemon of Greed. Hmm.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

And, as an aside for the other novices, I was wondering last night, "Why did they even bother killing the monsters? You're just Mind Controlling them anyway," but you're not. Killing them takes off any counters the creatures have and resets the loyalty counters on the Planeswalkers, so you can't sit around waiting for someone to pull off an ultimate with their PW, then swoop in, steal them, and do it yourself.

Hexproof is going to be important when planning against Sorin decks.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

Also, Mind Control isn't generally a white/black ability (Enslave and Evangelize notwithstanding). But killing and reanimating is.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited January 2012
    So Sorin is basically
    9b4ab0e2-85af-4f24-bdbe-72020833f3c6.jpg
    at this point.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    So Sorin is basically
    9b4ab0e2-85af-4f24-bdbe-72020833f3c6.jpg
    at this point.

I think he's supposed to be closer to Alucard, actually.

Arthas is not really a good comparison at all...unless I missed a big chunk of story somewhere.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    edited January 2012
    Well, I mean Sorin's ultimate is similar to the Death Knight's Animate Dead in WC3, but yeah, Alucard fits his personality better. Still weird that he can summon vampires, considering that most vampires in Innistrad believe he betrayed his race. I guess the designers needed something to protect him, otherwise it'd have been another Sarkhan Vol.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    Chen wrote:
    Well, I mean Sorin's ultimate is similar to the Death Knight's Animate Dead in WC3, but yeah, Alucard fits his personality better. Still weird that he can summon vampires, considering that most vampires in Innistrad believe he betrayed his race. I guess the designers needed something to protect him, otherwise it'd have been another Sarkhan Vol.

To be fair, Koth can't protect himself and he did okay for a while.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Koth can untap a mountain and cast Lightning Bolt. :P

V0Gug2h.png