As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Costumes thread

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    I was thinking something like this:

swansonart1.jpg

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    if they ever make a DKR movie

I want Ron Swanson to play Batman

• GankGank Registered User regular
    Well that is simply the greatest piece of art I've ever seen.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Gotta love gender-swapped X-Men. Especially Dazzler...
    xmen6.jpg

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    And with that I realize Dazzler was copying Gene Simmons all this time.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Aretha don't need no lights

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    A Bowie-Dazzler in an alternate universe would be amazing

• Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    I am NOT EVEN okay with that.

Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    what could you possibly be objecting to

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    I don't mind the uniformity of the Justice League's costumes, but it doesn't make sense that they would be similar before even meeting each other. Oh well.

The lines all over Flash's boots are what really stick out. Superman's boots look really weird too.

steam_sig-400.png
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    And with that I realize Dazzler was copying Gene Simmons all this time.

I dunno, that's more like a handful of bicycle streamers away from the Ultimate Warrior.

8aVThp6.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    These aren't really new costumes, so much as interpretations of two characters, that I like.

Wolverine, by Sam Bosma.

PidxQ.png

I've always thought Wolverine's claws looked kind of doofy when drawn really long and thin. It just makes them look kind of fragile and weak. I much prefer this interpretation, where they actually look like knives. It looks like he wouldn't claw you, so much as punch you to death. I'm also digging the general scruffiness, and compact body type.

Then there's She-Hulk, by Scott Wegener.

JGO97.jpg

Aside from just being a cool drawing, I really like it when She-Hulk isn't drawn to look like a waif. Wegener states he was specifically drawing inspiration from Juan Bobillo's interpretation, which I was also a big fan of. Like Wegener's, Bobillo's She-Hulk always had wide shoulders, and big, powerful arms. She wasn't just a normally proportioned woman, with a few inches of added height. She actually looked like she gained muscle mass, the same way the normal Hulk did.

Munch on
    Via Project Rooftop, here's Andy Trabbold's Firestorm.

bQcd2.png

I like the added emphasis on the yellow, and pared down design. In my mind, this is what redesigns for the New DCU should have been. Less superfluous seams and lines, and more blocky, simplified designs.

He draws a pretty mean Metamorpho and Hourman, too.

• JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    That is a wonderful Firestorm. Something nice and simple works so great for him.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm not sure it would have worked from the side.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I agree with Munch regarding the new DCU costumes being mostly terrible. I think minimalism is the way to go with costumes. Not only do I appreciate the look, but it makes them easier to draw!

I agree with Munch regarding the new DCU costumes being mostly terrible. I think minimalism is the way to go with costumes. Not only do I appreciate the look, but it makes them easier to draw!

If I remember the pages of the books I've read correctly, most of the detail is only on the covers and close-ups. For most "use" panels, the general shape is all that remains, which is pretty typical.

Bagginses wrote:

If I remember the pages of the books I've read correctly, most of the detail is only on the covers and close-ups. For most "use" panels, the general shape is all that remains, which is pretty typical.

Yeah, but then the artist is being lazy! I am sort of kidding, but if the costume's accepted as having all of those details, and then someone chose not to draw them...

Bagginses wrote:

Yeah, but then the artist is being lazy! I am sort of kidding, but if the costume's accepted as having all of those details, and then someone chose not to draw them...

Then it scales better?

• ZeldaIsNotABoyZeldaIsNotABoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I think my favorite costume would be The Question. I like the hole faceless thingy

ZeldaIsNotABoy on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Oh man, I don't think I've seen anyone try to link a file off their C Drive since like...1997

I think my favorite costume would be The Question. I like the hole faceless thingy

Orange socks.

Are you implying that there is a problem with orange socks?

steam_sig-400.png
    herojoe wrote:
    Are you implying that there is a problem with orange socks?

Every statement concerning the Question's costume should end with "orange socks."

Again, what are you trying to say about orange socks?

steam_sig-400.png
    herojoe wrote:
    Again, what are you trying to say about orange socks?

That it is my favorite reference and every incarnation should have them.

Praise the lord.

steam_sig-400.png
    I'm going to be a dissenting voice yet again and say that I really dig Hawkeye's new costume. Which is strange because I usually hate how they make things look more like the movie, but man I've always hated Hawkeye's costume.

steam_sig-400.png
    I also like Hawkeye's new costume

Though the great art might have something to do with that.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    the art itself is good, but the costume makes me think Neo-90s

Does anyone have a picture of this costume?

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    the art itself is good, but the costume makes me think Neo-90s
    See I don't like this

it is very paramilitary but that isn't instantly 90s nor a bad thing

Hawkeye is a dude who is running with a bow and arrow and basically being a superspy, especially now that he is leading the Secret Avengers. I love his classic suit but is goofy as hell and his new one fits his current direction way more

CYpGAPn.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    there is a way to make it modern without giving it straps and pouches

and again, I disagree on the realism point

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    He could probably lose a few of the pouches, yeah

but the costume is pretty much Ultimate Hawkeye's costume which isn't super 90s at all
    108917-138190-hawkeye_super.jpg
    vs
    prv11079_pg4.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    wow yeah that is a lot of straps and pouches

Yeah, and the pouches on his chest/stomach area would get in the way when drawing a bow, but I have given up on any comic writers or artists understanding even the most basic things about archery.

Really, the issue with the 90's wasn't so much that it featured pouches and straps (which are useful for creating distinctive silhouettes and allow for a somewhat plausibly utilitarian form of color blocking) but that half the characters looked like the bastard children of The Mummy and a backpack. Similarly, the critical taste for simplified spandex designs wouldn't look so good if taken to the extreme of the green guy from Always Sunny.

What the fuck does Hawkeye put in his pouches anyway

Food? I guess maybe a snack bar in case he needs some energy during a long fight with Kang or whoever. Maos? I don't think he really needs them, the Quinjet has guidance systems and so on. Radio? He already has his Avengers communicard (or are the Avengers too cool for that any more).

From what I can tell a lot of the pouches on military webbing is used to store ammunition. And Hawkeye already has a quiver for that. So really, that doesn't make much sense.

edited January 2012
    My main issue with Hawkeye's new costume, is the sunglasses. Replace them with a normal domino mask, and it might look alright.

Plus, it follows the extremely lazy design convention of all black + one color on the chest.

Really though, I just like Hawkeye's normal costume a lot, especially the recent Heroic Age redesign.

3cqTC.jpg

Munch on
    Solar wrote:
    What the fuck does Hawkeye put in his pouches anyway

Food? I guess maybe a snack bar in case he needs some energy during a long fight with Kang or whoever. Maos? I don't think he really needs them, the Quinjet has guidance systems and so on. Radio? He already has his Avengers communicard (or are the Avengers too cool for that any more).

From what I can tell a lot of the pouches on military webbing is used to store ammunition. And Hawkeye already has a quiver for that. So really, that doesn't make much sense.

Maybe the arrows are modular, so he can carry around a shitton of every type of arrow he needs int the form of heads without carrying that many arrows.