As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World of Tanks] Our track is broken! Get out and push!

• ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    Bastable wrote:
    Some things are valuable because they're scarce? Simplistically for a beta tank to have value due too scarcity it would also need to have some mechanism to cash in on it in exchange for goods and services or some form of currency. WOT has no mechanism to allow scarce=valuable in regards to tanks.

They have said and talked about a planned trading system in the game.

steam_sig.png
  • PelPel Registered User regular
    I wish they would do this, It irritates me to no end to have to buy 2 smaller increments of gold for me and my wife instead of one large chunk.

• FarleymanFarleyman Registered User regular
    Got an application from a "Shonzie" for the WANGs. Is this anyone here? Friend of a friend?

steam_sig.png
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Pel wrote:
    Of course. There are plenty of people who value these things just because they're rare. No usage in the game, nothing, zilch, just because not a lot of other people have it, and no one can get it. Doesn't hurt me that they have it, so if they enjoy having something, why take that away, considering, of course, that WG promised those people their tank would be forever unique.

This. I still hold onto that Russian M5 Stuart lend-lease from the super-exploitable promo months ago, that and the NEWYEARNA promo tank.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I happily sold those M5s for the creds. The Tetrarch, however, is totally cool and doesn't exist in the game otherwise, so for free? Hells yes I'll take it. Would I but it if it cost 1000-1500 gold? God no.

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    true that. . . I sold like half a dozen of those M5's, figured I'd hold on to one just because you can't buy it otherwise. If you could buy it for gold I'd have no problems selling it and never EVER consider spending gold on it. . .

• lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    Looks like the special is going to start soon. I spotted the banner ad telling me to play with the special, but it led to a page not found

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    I happily sold those M5s for the creds. The Tetrarch, however, is totally cool and doesn't exist in the game otherwise, so for free? Hells yes I'll take it. Would I but it if it cost 1000-1500 gold? God no.

Yeah, I find it funny that one of the most fun premium tanks in the game is given out for free for the holidays. Sure it's not a breadwinner like the 59, the Lowe, or the KV-5, but if you like speeding around in a little tank with a decent gun in low tier matches, you can't beat the tetrarch.

steam_sig.png
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Just saw this over on the forums and had to share. http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc400/WladimirAndrei/WoTForum/17771978144f057cdf3ba31.gif

Mod edit - don't inline images over 500k

A duck! on
    Simpsonia wrote:
    Just saw this over on the forums and had to share. http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc400/WladimirAndrei/WoTForum/17771978144f057cdf3ba31.gif

Mod edit - don't inline images over 500k

Jesus freaking Christ. What map is that? Now I want a Maus to go bowling with

• minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    That hill looks very steep. I'm inclined to believe that it might be a test of those new physics WG promised way back when. Also that T2 Light kinda hopped and landed on another tank when the Maus smashed into the mass of tanks; I don't think this is possible at the moment.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yeah, that's the Russian test, you can see it from the letters (and the pixels).

edited January 2012
    A duck! wrote:
    Yeah, that's the Russian test, you can see it from the letters (and the pixels).

I don't see any Cyrillic. I'm thinking it's shopped

EDIT: Oh I see the MC-1. I stand by my joke though

lostprophet on
  • G. CactusG. Cactus Registered User regular
    Well, I certainly wasn't expecting this
    We will soon be updating the World of Tanks in-game store. As of January 16, 2012, the Type 59 premium tank will be removed from the in-game store after the server restart, which will take place at 6:00-6:30AM EST (11:00-11:30 UTC). While the tank will not be available for purchase, all existing Type 59 owners will keep their tank intact.

This decision has been made to ensure a healthy gameplay balance at higher tiers, and also to encourage a wider variety of tier 8 medium tank usage. If the Type 59 becomes available for purchase again during special events in the future, we will be sure to provide ample notice.
    There are too many of them, but I'm surprised that WG cares. They've made a fortune off them.

• SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Wow, crazy. Surprised they didn't just bump the price up, a la the Lowe.

I think of this like Disney with their "vault" or McDonald's with the McRib. If they make it temporarily scarce they can get a run from buyers on the fence about the tank and build interest for a future release.

• The DermThe Derm Registered User regular
    Wow, crazy. Surprised they didn't just bump the price up, a la the Lowe.

This will have the effect of selling more Lowes

Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position
    Such a heavy burden now to be the one
    Born to bare and read to all the details of our ending
    To write it down for all the world to see
    But I forgot my pen...
  • OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Yeah, didnt see that coming. I see more of them than any other tier8 med. Oddly I see pershings alot, a few t44s since the patch and rarely see panther2s. Its the most fun premium tank they got, but from a balance prespective I think its a toss up for whats better between it and my pershing. Pershing has better gun/gun mount and a bigger engine, 59 has better profile and actually has armor unlike the pershing. Personally, if the t59 had slightly more accuracy and carried 10 more rounds of ammo, I call it the best. Still I hate fighting t59s in a pershing but thats not the case if the tanks are reversed.

edited January 2012
    does this mean they'll be adding some other new OP tank to the store soon? I just went full retard and have like 25,000 gold pieces just burning a hole in my e-pocket.

acidlacedpenguin on
    does this mean they'll be adding some other new OP tank to the store soon? I just went full retard and have like 25,000 gold pieces just burning a hole in my e-pocket.
    Wargaming "soon" or actual "soon"? The IS-6 is going to be a new tier 8 premium heavy at some point. The T34 is becoming another one, supposedly in the next patch, but no one knows when that'll be, or if they'll be selling it to people who don't get one when they do the switchover. But yeah, the fact that they're getting rid of a moneymaking tank does make you think they've got something else in the offing.

• OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Well they were suppose to make the American t34 a tier 8 premium at some point. I remember them saying it will still keep its 120mm, since thats what makes it a t34 not just a t29. So depending on how hard they nerf the 120mm for tier 8, that may be the next one.

edited January 2012
    They can't nerf the damage, since they tied damage to shell size, but they can definitely hit ROF. I don't expect an accuracy change, since it's already not good and they pretend to tie accuracy to certain turrets. I would have said penetration might get hit, too, but after seeing what Tier 6 French heavies get they may just leave it.

I'm predicting around a 5 shot per minute gun without much else changed. They may give it a small accuracy hit, but it has a much worse turret and hull than the T32, so it's not like the T34 will completely outshine it.

A duck! on
    A duck! wrote:
    They can't nerf the damage, since they tied damage to shell size

This is only true in most cases, not all. There are plenty of examples of same-caliber guns with varying damage ratings if you look around for them. So, they could ding the damage on the T34 a bit if they want.

A duck! wrote:
    They can't nerf the damage, since they tied damage to shell size

This is only true in most cases, not all. There are plenty of examples of same-caliber guns with varying damage ratings if you look around for them. So, they could ding the damage on the T34 a bit if they want.

Aren't these cases where the guns use different shells despite the barrel size being the same? I mean, technically if they want to change the type of ammo the gun uses to give it a custom one, yup, sure, that's possible. But I think what Duck means is that they aren't likely to do that (and rightly so - can you imagine needing to re-buy ammo for a gun you already have?) because of the mess it would cause.

Also, good riddance to the Type 59. I know I won't see any less of them, but damn it, I can at least see fewer new players with them (because it is frigging ANNOYING to see someone with ~40 games, a tier 1, 2, and 3 tank, and then a Lowe, KV-5, and Type 59).

Also, good riddance to the Type 59. I know I won't see any less of them, but damn it, I can at least see fewer new players with them (because it is frigging ANNOYING to see someone with ~40 games, a tier 1, 2, and 3 tank, and then a Lowe, KV-5, and Type 59).

I personally do not understand that mentality. People who foolishly spend that kind of cash after 40 games are so, are doing that because they believe the products they are buying to be strictly superior to other tanks in the game. They believe that they're buying the "I win" button, when we all know that's not true at all. A more reasonable purchase of a T8 premium would be somebody who has 2k matches, and wants a credit farmer, or somebody who just likes getting all the tanks.

At the end of the day, those fools are gold mines, because they're not familiar with good tactics, and they have an unwarranted feeling of invulnerability because they're in a 'premium' tank.

steam_sig.png
    the problem is when your team is down to like 2 v 5, and you're like alright we're going to win this those 2 are type 59s and nothing left on the enemy field can even hurt them, all they have to do is sit tight and shoot tanks.
    *meanwhile* the type 59s are turning their asses to the enemy, running in circles, and definitively not shooting tanks. Then you're like, awww those guys haven't even played the game before!

For the record, Acid is speaking of a game we recently played where our Type 59 managed to get himself killed by a Pz IV/V, something that one almost intentionally has to TRY to do ...

Oh the French tier 8 heavy is so beautiful...

http://www.mediafire.com/?y2dx9gd55crv5ln

• FarleymanFarleyman Registered User regular
    Haha, that was impressive. Just finished a match where someone raged and reported me for tracking an enemy E75, resulting in the death of our Jadgtiger. Yeah, all right, it was an unlucky shot, but I can't help it if the game decides that the shell is going to impact his tracks, not the side of his hull. That's why the crosshairs are a circle.

Some people take this game far too seriously if they think an unlucky shot is grounds for a reporting. Yet of course he would of done it anyway if I just stood and watched, waiting for a clear shot at the E75's rear - that I just couldn't penetrate for some reason today.

steam_sig.png
    Wait, what? Someone reported you for tracking an enemy tank? How did that kill your Jagdtiger?

I too, am confused,
    From what I understand, tracking enemy vehicles (especially in arty rich high tier matches) is supposed to be a good thing.

But I forgot my pen...
    Nah, everyone knows that how you throw a game. Like if you're point-shaving in basketball - you do it on defense. If you're sabotaging your team in WoT, you intentionally shoot tracks instead of going for HP damage. This is actually how the Wehrmacht lost most of its Jagdtigers.

I'm just glad someone on your team saw through that ghastly charade.

True statement. Every tanker knows that you can shoot a tank in the tracks for hours with a 6" shell (130mm) and do absolutely no damage to the tank.

steam_sig.png
    Well. I'm glad that is sorted out.
    From now on, I will bounce my shots, instead of immobilizing dangerous enemy turretless armour.
    Teamwork!

But I forgot my pen...
    that's the funny thing-- it is my opinion (as a person who is perpetually in the underdog tanks) that if you can't guarantee a penetrating shot against a turretless opponent, you should always be trying to track it.

Christ, the bottom line is a tracked TD is a useless TD (unless a teammate is stupid enough to wander into those like 15 degrees of gun travel)

Some TDs have a wide enough threat range that they can still do things, but it's still a pretty valid strategy to go for the tracks.

On a related note, having played the AMX 13 75, this is a tank that's hugely vulnerable to tracking. Your turret turns, sure, but you have maybe 10 degrees of vertical control, so a small hill can completely ruin you. It's interesting how aware you need to be in these things. Does the 13 90 have a similar issue?

• NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    Some TDs have a wide enough threat range that they can still do things, but it's still a pretty valid strategy to go for the tracks.

On a related note, having played the AMX 13 75, this is a tank that's hugely vulnerable to tracking. Your turret turns, sure, but you have maybe 10 degrees of vertical control, so a small hill can completely ruin you. It's interesting how aware you need to be in these things. Does the 13 90 have a similar issue?

This is French tank thing in general. Not just the lights.

edited January 2012
    you know what's fun? taking a piece of shit tank like the T14 and rolling a whole team with the accompaniment of a french heavy.

acidlacedpenguin on
    Just got into the AMX 12t last night, and played some more rounds with it this morning. The glass-cannon autoloader playstyle definitely takes some getting used to, but when you have a good round with it, it is the best. Flanking and murdering an otherwise-engaged Lowe or ISU-152 with a tier 5 light tank is sheer hilarity.

1 remaining hp is enough, right?

also, I noticed they dropped the health on my beloved T1 from 125 to 115.
    The fiends!

shot_006.jpg

But I forgot my pen...
This discussion has been closed.