As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    uh I think sorin's +1 isn't him summoning vampires that think he's a traitor.
    I think sorin's +1 is him running through town biting people

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Well, that makes even less sense since he's trying to save humanity!

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I, uh, I don't read the background stories.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    He's B/W for that reason. Using the character alignment chart, he'd be a true neutral. Well, maybe lawful/chaotic neutral. I dunno. I don't have a PhD in character dissection.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Chen wrote:
    Well, I mean Sorin's ultimate is similar to the Death Knight's Animate Dead in WC3, but yeah, Alucard fits his personality better. Still weird that he can summon vampires, considering that most vampires in Innistrad believe he betrayed his race. I guess the designers needed something to protect him, otherwise it'd have been another Sarkhan Vol.

To be fair, Koth can't protect himself and he did okay for a while.

Koth was also played in aggro decks and is the most reasonable red planeswalker. Imagine a red planeswalker that was RRR with +1 do 1 dmg to target player, -2 do 3 dmg to target player, -6 do 10 dmg to target player, with starting loyalty 4. It would have basically 0 self-protection adn still be heavily played in Red decks. A lack of self-protection can work if the planewalker is cheap or is in a deck that can protect it (look at baby jace for that matter).

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    R/U planeswalker must be Niv-Mizzet. Seriously; return to Ravnica now that the barrier is down and introduce another Dragon-Walker, one as epic as Nicol Bolas.

They've already revealed RU and GU planeswalker characters in the Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 video game. RU is an Izzet mage named Ral Zarek and GU is a merfolk named Kiora Atua.
    137434.png

vrsdxcvjhgvtgfgbasaasa.jpg

That's not a guarantee that those two characters will show up as cards any time soon, but it would be weird for them to print an RU planeswalker that's not Ral Zarek.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:
    I am actively upset that I can't put this in my Vish Kaal EDH deck, which is BASED around lifelink.

You'll stop crying after you see the new Sorin Markov. :D

My first reaction to seeing that this morning: "Holy crap, they printed my Invitational card!"

I don't usually pre-order singles, but DAYUM. The fact that he's gonna start at $50 a pop will curb that impulse, I'm sure.

And then he'll slowly slide down in value just like Tezzeret AOB did (and nearly every other Planeswalker that's not JTMS). If your primary desire is to play him in your Vish Kaal deck, I'd wait a couple of months before putting down cash for him.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:
    I am actively upset that I can't put this in my Vish Kaal EDH deck, which is BASED around lifelink.

You'll stop crying after you see the new Sorin Markov. :D

My first reaction to seeing that this morning: "Holy crap, they printed my Invitational card!"

I don't usually pre-order singles, but DAYUM. The fact that he's gonna start at $50 a pop will curb that impulse, I'm sure.

And then he'll slowly slide down in value just like Tezzeret AOB did (and nearly every other Planeswalker that's not JTMS). If your primary desire is to play him in your Vish Kaal deck, I'd wait a couple of months before putting down cash for him.

Not just in Vish. If I some how get them (and I've established in the old thread that I rarely open playable mythics) will play him as often as I can over the next 20 months, and only then will he be exclusive to Vish... and probably all of my other BWx commander decks; I have one for every BW combination.

But here's the problem: he might not slide that much. DKA is going to have the same supply issues that Worldwake had. If he sees enough competitive play, his price is going to be awkward. Not JTMS-level awkward, but still.

Anyway, I'm just hoping all of my non-planeswalker packs over the last three or four years were just building up to pay off for this one. :)

• Options

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Lack of evasion and double-mana cost on super-doomed makes him less awesome, but he'll still be super-fun and useful I'm guessing. Sorin is insane. He will do much better than Tezz and will be much more in-demand. Tezz is a card that you want to try to break and is super-cool. Sorin is broken and slots into aggro and control decks nicely. Aggro decks will make tokens and emblems and control decks will make tokens and ult things if they need to.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    Feral wrote:
    Yep, looks like Sorin is preordering at $50.

$55 on SCG, so yeah.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Feral wrote:

$55 on SCG, so yeah.

Silliness. The only current planeswalker that's gone up in value is Elspeth and even she's starting to come back down. The outrageous price that places want for new planeswalkers has always confused me. Are they hoping for a repeat of JTMS?

oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    It's mostly hedging their bets. They're going to be in demand, and they're going to be hard to crack even if you open hundreds of cases. 1/10th of 1/8 packs should have Sorin, statistically. So 1 out of every 80 packs (or 2 boxes and change)... times four for a full playset of 4*... times however many people pre-order a playset. Sure, you have the same chance of obtaining playsets of that new mythic dragon (because Innistrad clearly needed two...), but a dragon is usually just a big dumb Timmy creature while planeswalkers have a proven track record of being competitive with only a few exceptions.

*Even if most PWs are less than 4-ofs.

I think some of the outrageous pre-order prices are actually to inhibit demand.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    I would disagree about planeswalkers having a proven track record. There are far more Nissa's, Chandra's, and Crazy Sarkhan's than Gideon's.

But I agree with you about stores hedging their bets. I had to track it down, but JTMS was pre-selling at ~$20. I can see why stores are hesitant when a card like that gets away from you with a potential $80 profit loss. I have not considered the inhibition of demand. If that's a factor, then WotC is wrong to stop making mythic rare prerelease cards.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Turkson wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Feral wrote:

$55 on SCG, so yeah.

Silliness. The only current planeswalker that's gone up in value is Elspeth and even she's starting to come back down. The outrageous price that places want for new planeswalkers has always confused me. Are they hoping for a repeat of JTMS?

Not so much hoping for a repeat as hoping to avoid getting caught in a repeat of JTMS on the outside looking in I would imagine.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    Turkson wrote:
    I would disagree about planeswalkers having a proven track record. There are far more Nissa's, Chandra's, and Crazy Sarkhan's than Gideon's.

I didn't say dominated play, I said "competitive."

My local meta was also infested with Elves decks, so I've seen more than my share of Nissas; I realize that isn't much of a factor in the grand scheme of things. Realistically, Chandra Albaze and Sarkhan Vol are the only two that never really had much of an impact, even if a few were just one-ofs (NBPW, Sarkhan the Mad, original Chandra/Liliana). But even discounting those, I'd say the total is only about 6 or 7 out of 26 that haven't been used in one way or another.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Sarkhan the Mad was played in Jund and Liliana the first in U/B control. Nicol Bolas wasn't in any tier 1 deck since Cruel Ultimatum was just better. There was this anti-metagame Extended deck that a Japanese dude piloted, but that's about it. I don't think any Chandra has ever been playable, which makes my inner red mage sad, even though I played two of them in Standard at some point. Venser wasn't and isn't played in any deck as far as I know. Same with Jace the third. So I'd say the fail count is 7.

If you count PWs that have gone down in value after a span of a few months, then it's, well, almost all of them except JtMS and Elspeth the first. Even then, Jace was still at about $50 for most of the beginning. It wasn't until Bloodbraid Elf rotated out that it exploded in value. Every store is overvaluing PWs to prevent another Jace incident. And to be fair, Jace was printed in a small set that stopped being drafted quite quickly, which is exactly the case Sorin is currently in.

I don't think he'll stay $50 though, since 2WB means he's only playable in specific decks, whereas Jace and Elspeth were in every blue or white deck. I guess he could be the next Ajani Vengeant, but Ajani was a prerelease card, so it's hard to make a price comparison. I think a better comparison would be Liliana of the Veil, who is now $30 and was, like, double in value at some point.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Chen wrote:
    If you count PWs that have gone down in value after a span of a few months, then it's, well, almost all of them except JtMS and Elspeth the first. Even then, Jace was still at about $50 for most of the beginning. It wasn't until Bloodbraid Elf rotated out that it exploded in value. Every store is overvaluing PWs to prevent another Jace incident. And to be fair, Jace was printed in a small set that stopped being drafted quite quickly, which is exactly the case Sorin is currently in.

I don't think he'll stay $50 though, since 2WB means he's only playable in specific decks, whereas Jace and Elspeth were in every blue or white deck. I guess he could be the next Ajani Vengeant, but Ajani was a prerelease card, so it's hard to make a price comparison. I think a better comparison would be Liliana of the Veil, who is now $30 and was, like, double in value at some point.

This is almost exactly my thinking. He's good but his mana cost limits the decks he is playable in.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Also, I find this interesting. Seance: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=127154&d=1326317708

More reanimator shenanigans in white.

Edit: I'm trying to figure out what the purpose of this card is. You create a token that you exile on the next end step... but without haste? Just creating a blocker seems kind of bad. Seancing something with a good ETB effect (instead of using Unburial Rites to reanimate it properly) seems kind of bad, too. Am I missing something?

Feral on

• Options
    It's basically a cool timmy card. It COULD be semi-broken with some 187 effects (think about terrastadon for example) as a psuedo-reanimator effect.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    You could always use it with anything that gives all your creatures haste. Probably still sucks though.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    ahahahaha, yesssssss

sundial.dec inches ever closer to reality

• Options
    Lucedes wrote:
    ahahahaha, yesssssss

sundial.dec inches ever closer to reality

Throw in some Swiftfoot Boots too.

I still think Seance is terrible.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    you probably want something to sac those tokens to.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    It's a cheap way to get creatures with good entering the battlefield effects.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Also I guess no-one speaks German well enough to translate Immerwolf?

No wait I'm dumb and blind apparently.

Everwolf 1RG
    Creature - Wolf Uncommon
    Intimidate
    Other Wolf and Werewolf creatures you control get +1/+1.
    Werewolf creatures you control that aren't Humans can't transform.
    2/2

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    Everwolf 1RG
    Creature - Wolf Uncommon
    Intimidate

nice

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Everwolf 1RG
    Creature - Wolf Uncommon
    Intimidate

nice

So werewolves have two lords now. Also, how does intimidate work with multicolor creatures? Only artifact, green, and red creatures can block everwolf?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    29dd6c813a8d1caaa9175341bc4b0acd_8.jpg

Also the official Magic Rules state: "A creature with intimidate can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or creatures that share a color with it."
    Since Everwolf is a Red/Green creature, both Red and Green creatures can block it

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Also, how does intimidate work with multicolor creatures? Only artifact, green, and red creatures can block everwolf?

Yup. As I recall Intimidate is merely that a creature is either an Artifact or "shares a colour" with the attacking creature in order to block it.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I'm pretty excited. I like werewolves, but I could never get a werewolf deck to work.
    Also I'm happy to see it's an uncommon, so I won't be blowing money on it.

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    Keep wishing. That ain't gonna set werewolves on fire. Hm. Werewolves on fire... now that's something I can get behind!

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    It will set them more on fire than being shitty. And that's all I need.

• Options
    Love the Everwolf. Definitely making a R/G casual Werewolf deck now.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Chen wrote:
    I don't think any Chandra has ever been playable, which makes my inner red mage sad, even though I played two of them in Standard at some point. Venser wasn't and isn't played in any deck as far as I know.

Original Chandra was a one-of in some of the "Superfriends" builds, and Venser saw play in some of the first Bant Pod decks (Levy's, IIRC). But yes.

EDIT: Regarding Séance... you don't even get a blocker. You exile the token at the beginning of the next end step. It's pretty much only useful for ETB effects and other global things (like the new Dragon's team firebreathing).

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Seance works on any upkeep. But it's still junk.

So far, I'm much more excited about the commons and uncommons shown than almost all of the rares and mythics.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    2 new cards.
    Havengul Lich and Thalia, Guardian of Thraben.
    Details in a sec.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Havengul Lich 3UB
    Creature - Zombie Wizard|Mythic Rare
    1:You may cast target creature card from a graveyard this turn. When you cast that card this turn, Havengul Lich gains all activated abilities of that card until end of turn.
    4/4
    d0lxz3hzsx_en.jpg

Thalia, Guardian of Thraben 1W
    Legendary Creature - Human Soldier| Rare
    First Strike
    Noncreature spells cost 1 more to cast.
    2/1
    jum72rexlj_en.jpg

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    The more I look at Thalia, the more I love it.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Oh also:

Lambholt Elder 2G
    Creature - Human Werewolf|Uncommon
    At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform Lambholt Elder.
    1/2

Flips to

Silverpelt Werewolf
    Creature - Werewolf
    Whenever Silverpelt Werewolf deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.
    At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, transform Silverpelt Werewolf.
    4/5
    JC_1.jpgJC_2.jpg

Sir Fabulous on