As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Pre-Pre-PAX East Tuesday Night Games & Booze at J. J. Foley's (4/3/12 6:30PM)

KhadourKhadour Dinosaur CupcakeHillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in PAX Archive
Like games? Like booze (or not - that's fine too)? Like congregating with your fellow nerds and playing games while consuming booze (or other non-booze beverage)? Over 21? Then do I have an event for YOU!

That's right - in the finest tradition of last year's pre-pre-PAX East Tuesday night gaming gathering (as well as the monthly Boston-area gatherings), we will once again be getting together at J. J. Foley's (21 Kingston St. location - there are 2 locations, so make sure you go to the Kingston St. one, or you'll be a sad panda) to play games, drink booze, socialize, and nom. Juju will be talking to Papa Foley to reserve the back room for us, so there should be plenty of room to game in. Start time is 6:30, but if you get there earlier, nobody will shoot you for it. Just go to the back room, look for your fellow gamers, and start playing something. If you don't see any of them, then grab a drink and wait - we'll be there soon enough. Bring games if you want - if not, others most certainly will, so there will be no shortage of things to play. There will also probably be some handheld gaming going on, so bring your DS/PSP/Whatever if you want to play. I'll be taking game requests, and will try to bring the games that people want to play, so if there's anything you'd especially enjoy playing with your fellow PAXers, let me know below. Also, bring $$$ to purchase your drinks/food with, and perhaps some extra to donate to Child's Play.

Also, if you plan on attending, please post a reply, so we can get a rough headcount to give to Papa Foley. Feel free to request games when you do.

TL;DR:
* Who: You and your closest gaming friends, if you (and they) are over 21.
* Where: J.J. Foley's at 21 Kingston St.
* When: Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012, 6:30PM
* What: Gaming. And drinking, if you're into that sort of thing.
* Why: Because we can. Oh, and it was a lot of fun last year. And every month since.

Notes:
* The 21 age limit is because this is a bar - they WILL card at the door, so make sure you have the appropriate ID
* They have decent pub food there, but it does cost money (as do the drinks) - plan accordingly
* As much as your fellow gamers love you, we don't want to have to carry you home, hold your hair back while you yarf, or read about you as a statistic the next day, so plan accordingly - don't drink TOO much, and make sure you have transportation plans to get back to wherever you're staying.
* Reply if you're coming for headcount purposes.
* FaceBook event here.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
xWDsUaZ.png
jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

Khadour on

• MrArcysMrArcys Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    I read somewhere that Boston is really goofy about accepting out of state licenses. Is this true or is it all BS?

PAX East 2013: [ ] Badge // [X] Hotel // [ ] Travel // [ ] Time Off
    Twitter: @MrArcys
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Some bars are, some aren't. I'm not really sure on Foley's, since I've never tried to get in there on an out of state ID. Maybe someone else can answer this one?

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    I still have a Maryland state ID, and they've always taken mine just fine!

Also, that said: I have a class that night, so unless you don't mind me showing up at 10:00 PM, I can't make it :(

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    The one time I was carded at JJ's, they accepted my NH ID without a problem (unlike, say, King's who didn't want to let me in). I don't suspect you'll have an issue there, but if you have a passport, bring it just in case. You'll especially want to bring it if you plan other drinking during PAX week.

HI3789R.png
    Also, that said: I have a class that night, so unless you don't mind me showing up at 10:00 PM, I can't make it :(
    Come on down - something tells me that this one will run a bit later than the regular Boston meet-ups, as we'll have a number of out-of-towners in for the festivities.

xWDsUaZ.png

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Some state IDs are better than others. If your state ID is made of paper or laminated paper, don't expect to get in with anything short of a passport. If you're from another country, bring your passport. MA state law basically allows bars to deny anything that's not a MA state ID. This is because of the MASSIVE number of students in the state who come from other states that have very easy to counterfeit IDs.

E6LkoFK.png

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Some state IDs are better than others. If your state ID is made of paper or laminated paper, don't expect to get in with anything short of a passport. If you're from another country, bring your passport. MA state law basically allows bars to deny anything that's not a MA state ID. This is because of the MASSIVE number of students in the state who come from other states that have very easy to counterfeit IDs.

the student factor can also determine which places are going to be picky about ids. if it's a bar frequented by college kids, they're likely to be harder on you; someplace where the crowd's a little older shouldn't be a problem. not sure where jj's falls.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    MrArcys wrote:
    I read somewhere that Boston is really goofy about accepting out of state licenses. Is this true or is it all BS?

Most places do, but JJ Foley's doesn't. They might ask for a credit card backup but in the entire time I've been a regular there (almost 5 years now?) I've never seen it happen. Then again, they haven't carded me in that many amount of years, either... :P

Massachusetts has funky alcohol ID laws, and a lot of bars (mainly the ones where there are a lot of students frequenting, like in Back Bay or Faneuil Hall areas) adhere to them or risk losing their liquor licenses. The real law is that only Massachusetts DLs, Massachusetts Liquor IDs (special state IDs for out-of-state DLs), military IDs, and Passports are acceptable and they can deny entry for even things like Massachusetts state IDs without the phrase "Liquor ID" on them. Obviously, this is not a sustainable business model, so many will accept a backup ID, like a school or work ID, or sometimes even a credit card. It's silly, and I don't make the rules, but I have to follow them. I have an out of state driver's license (New Jersey) so for things involving drinking in Massachusetts I bring my passport just in case.

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    If past experience is anything to go by, we stayed at the Westin last year and hit just about everything in the area without getting carded once. Which was suprising, considering that my BF is 12.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • WodrithWodrith Registered User regular
    I so wish I could go to this, but classes are being mean and deciding to get in my way >_<

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I'll be attending!

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    I will be up on this.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Oh shit, Tuesday before PAX? I can probably do this!

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    I'll also likely be there!! :D

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • lirelentlirelent Registered User regular
    yes :-)

• GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    I'm moving to Boston next month. I'll attend.

• LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Sounds good to me!

AN9buWz.png
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    I will be there. :)

1EAFQ.gif
  • TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    If past experience is anything to go by, we stayed at the Westin last year and hit just about everything in the area without getting carded once. Which was suprising, considering that my BF is 12.

0.o

JQ1qRPt.png
  • WaterbornWaterborn Registered User regular
    Count me in, Looking forward to it. I now officially have an event EVERY night Mon - Sun of PAXEast week. Then two weeks after that, I get married! April is going to be one heck of a month.

http://www.2old2play.com/Blog/Waterborn
    East Coast Correspondent for 2Old2Play.com
  • CaveCibumCaveCibum Registered User regular
    Is this in addition to the week before (last Tuesday of the month) or instead? (Not that I wouldn't be down for two game nights...)

I was still planning on doing the Tuesday before as well. We can discuss at the Jan and Feb meetups.

xWDsUaZ.png

• Susan69Susan69 Registered User regular
    Game nights two weeks in a row would be awesome!!

• septagonseptagon Registered User regular
    Susan69 wrote:
    Game nights two weeks in a row would be awesome!!

Absolutely!

• SingolloSingollo Registered User regular
    Sadly i don't think i will make it this time. I have yet to manage to find any crash space for the week. which means i will not get into town till later in the week. I will be scheduling my flight this weekend so would need to know before sunday. So ya have fun all.

• trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    I'll definitely be there. Looking forward to a full week of PAX goodness!

Agh! Planning Fail! We won't be arriving in Boston until Wednesday, so I'm out for this. So sad!

I will however, be at the Westin on Thursday night for the Pre-PAX boardgame meetup with cookie brigade treats and a fistful of dice.

Agh! Planning Fail! We won't be arriving in Boston until Wednesday, so I'm out for this. So sad!

I will however, be at the Westin on Thursday night for the Pre-PAX boardgame meetup with cookie brigade treats and a fistful of dice.
    Will you both still be able to make the pig roast? *hopeful*

trinistand wrote:

Hells Yeah! Are you KIDDING?! I'll jump out of the airplane to arrive in time for Roast Suckling Pig!!

• mooethmooeth Registered User regular
    I may attend, assuming I'm not completely exhausted from taking the red eye that morning.

trinistand wrote:

Hells Yeah! Are you KIDDING?! I'll jump out of the airplane to arrive in time for Roast Suckling Pig!!

Phew, I got worried for a minute.

I talked to good ol' Papa Foley on Friday and he will hold the back room for us if I give him notice before PAX, so our venue looks good to go.

[E]
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    I plan to be there. :D

7B14287.png
  • DangeresquetooDangeresquetoo Registered User regular
    Wild horses couldn't keep me away!

• WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    Wild horses, they could probably keep me away. But I don't think they will.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I shall be landing in Boston at the dinner hour. By the time I get to my hotel I'll probably need a wind-down. I shall be there.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    @juju - how much notice did Papa Foley say he wanted to hold the room for us?

xWDsUaZ.png

• MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    Having enjoyed the last Pre-MMT evening, I shall once again attend.

Khadour wrote: »
    @juju - how much notice did Papa Foley say he wanted to hold the room for us?

One or two weeks.

Since it's a Tuesday before Easter, I doubt it'll be a problem.

I'll check in with him next time I'm downtown.

[E]
    juju wrote:
    I'll check in with him next time I'm downtown.
    Or, you can just do it Tuesday night ;)

xWDsUaZ.png