As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Half of America is Poor -CBS

1474849505153»

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    poshniallo wrote:
    Well, a shit ton of people do come here to try and better their lives. I think that's what he meant.

A lot of people go everywhere that's rich to better their lives. I don't think the modern US is a particular hotbed of immigration, populist rhetoric aside.

Well, according to this, the US has 3x more foreign-born immigrants than the next closest country, and more than the other four in the top five combined. More foreign-born immigrants live in the US than the entire population of Canada. I'm not sure what you mean by "the modern US" though, so we might be able to go back and forth on numbers per year, rate of increase, and legal/illegal, and so on.

But that's a bit of a tangent! AManFromEarth has the right of it. I wish I could find good numbers on the income level of those people... they might turn out to be a notable percentage of the total poor population in the US.

spool32 on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    spool32 wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:
    Well, a shit ton of people do come here to try and better their lives. I think that's what he meant.

A lot of people go everywhere that's rich to better their lives. I don't think the modern US is a particular hotbed of immigration, populist rhetoric aside.

Well, according to this, the US has 3x more than the next closest country, and more than the other four in the top five, combined.

But that's a bit of a tangent! AManFromEarth has the right of it. I wish I could find good numbers on the income level of those people... they might turn out to be a notable percentage of the total poor population in the US.

Sort that list by percentage of total population, and you see a much more sensible picture in which the US is quite far down the list, right next to Germany.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    "more sensible"? By what metric? Yes, if you sort the list by a metric that puts low-population nations at the top, The US will be at the bottom. I guess that means Vatican City is the most awesome place for immigrants, because 100% of its population is foreign-born! (USA is also right next to Germany when you sort by sheer numbers)

spool32 on
  • Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    What don't you get?
    It isn't sorting the low-populations at the top, it's judging by percentage of the total population.

We can observer America has a 12 percent immigrant population, a number that is similar to other industrialized western nations.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    spool32 wrote:
    "more sensible"? By what metric? Yes, if you sort the list by a metric that puts low-population nations at the top, The US will be at the bottom. I guess that means Vatican City is the most awesome place for immigrants, because 100% of its population is foreign-born! (USA is also right next to Germany when you sort by sheer numbers)

You prefer unadjusted numbers over percentages of population?

That's really... just... ridiculous?

You just don't want to accept that America isn't the FuckYeahingest at everything, including immigration.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    We mentioned food stamp fraud, but to be honest, which of these two is worse for society:

Tom, a low income person who makes five hundred bucks a year over the federal poverty amount and is therefor ineligible for assistance, who lied about his assets and cheated the government out of $200 a month in food stamps so he could eat?

or

Steve, a one percenter who works on Wall Street and makes more in one quarter than Tom will make in his entire working life, who cheated homeowners/investors out of tens of millions of dollars last year so he could buy a bigger yacht?

Obviously Tom. Steve's a job creator you dirty communist bastard.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    We are down to arguing definitions of a pointless tangent, and any actual discussion will be wildly offtopic.

• Options
    spool32 wrote:
    We are down to arguing definitions of a pointless tangent, and any actual discussion will be wildly offtopic.

Not at all - this has been extremely useful in deciding how to approach not debating with you in the future.

• Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Oh wow dude

Admission of error successfully dodged?

So anyway, foreign doctors often come to the United States for purely monetary reasons. The compensation for American doctors is exceptionally high compared to their European counterparts with the assumption due for the need of American doctors to repay staggering student loans. European doctors have no loans, but are payed pretty low in their home countries. So it's really a win-win for them to come here and practice.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:

No spool, they aren't. You're preferring to look at the numbers in a vacuum with no other relevant information applying to them. That is not being intellectually honest. Neither is pointing at outliers like the Vatican.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Since every time I come into this thread you're discussing something different and it's always something wildly irrelevant I'm assuming this discussion has peaked.

This discussion has been closed.